Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 9, 2017, 8:44am
Can we really make BP a fortress next season, other teams say to a nightmare to come here but is it ?
Posted by: psgmariner, May 9, 2017, 9:25am; Reply: 1
We could put even more dogshit on the pavements.
Posted by: mariner91, May 9, 2017, 9:31am; Reply: 2
Quoted from psgmariner
We could put even more dogshit on the pavements.

If we want to make life really uncomfortable we'll put it in the Osmond.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 9, 2017, 9:32am; Reply: 3
If we have got the right players and the right attitude then yes we can,

Slade will not be over defensive and we have got the fans,

So lets attack attack attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND

Always score the first goal and put the sh its up the opposition.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 9, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 4
Statistics may show otherwise, but BP has never seemed like a fortress since the disappearance of the Barrett Stand and the open corners..

Sides are also now better set up to win away games in recent years..
Posted by: moosey_club, May 9, 2017, 10:26am; Reply: 5
I would settle for entertaining or even a place of hope at the moment, the last few seasons have seen very little of either in reality....i trust that Slade will at least present us with a product that gets us out of our seats in excitement during a game which would be a start.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 9, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 6
Quoted from moosey_club
I would settle for entertaining or even a place of hope at the moment, the last few seasons have seen very little of either in reality....i trust that Slade will at least present us with a product that gets us out of our seats in excitement during a game which would be a start.

Isn't that what MB promised in his first press interviews? Things like fans wanting to see wingers and crosses in the box and creating goalscoring chances, going for the jugular ..... That was one of the things I liked about his attitude at least in those early days.

The trouble with home performances under PH was simply that he always set up the side first and foremost not to lose. So very often we didn't even look like the home side and were sitting comfortable behind the ball, waiting to get it back and knock it long to the designated target player. Possession was often wasted wasn't it? Ray Wilkins made less sideways passes than our midfield. How many times did the ball end up back with a defender who had to knock it long to marked up strikers?

But it wouldn't take a lot for RS to turn BP into a fortress. Just play with some fire to win possession and get players in front of the ball especially in the final third.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 9, 2017, 11:23am; Reply: 7
Well BP seems to have lost it`s way and the Barrett Stand was a big part of that but on the right day with the crowd in the right frame of mind it`s a hard place to come and win whatever it says on paper about the two actual teams.I refer back to the Gillingham game Season before we got relegated and that was the last time I recall the crowd winning Town a game.They were top of the League and I can`t think who their Manager was but he said his players were terrified of the crowd and he hadn`t seen fanatical backing like it for years.  
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 9, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 8
Somehow the atmosphere of the traveling fans at towns away games needs to be transferred to BP .

How do we do that I don't know
How do we do that I don't care
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 9, 2017, 11:46am; Reply: 9
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Well BP seems to have lost it`s way and the Barrett Stand was a big part of that but on the right day with the crowd in the right frame of mind it`s a hard place to come and win whatever it says on paper about the two actual teams.I refer back to the Gillingham game Season before we got relegated and that was the last time I recall the crowd winning Town a game.They were top of the League and I can`t think who their Manager was but he said his players were terrified of the crowd and he hadn`t seen fanatical backing like it for years.  

It begins on the field though doesn't it? Not just the odd big occasion but every week. If the crowd is used to seeing a Waters, a Cumming, Cunnington, Cockerill or a Pouton driving forward with an Empson, a Gilbert or Donovan on the wing waiting for the ball and that happens game after game then it becomes a normal thing.

A ritual almost. I remember the Barnsley game where we were nearly salivating by kick off time at the thought of Bobby C having a go at Norman Hunter. The atmosphere was electric at the very thought. But you need players like that and you need managers who are going to encourage that flat out attitude. Then the crowd will become a part of it every week.
Posted by: Tommy, May 9, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 10
I thought the atmosphere on Saturday was alright. Considering it was a nothing game for us, I thought (as Slade said) the crowd got right behind the lads. Went a bit quiet second half when we didn't have much possession or even much joy territorially. And the number of away fans probably helped as it always does, giving the home support something to bounce off.

But when we have spells of sustained attacking pressure and we see players putting in tackles and busting a gut to recover and work hard - the crowd will be vocal. And I think the team Slade builds will do those things.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 9, 2017, 1:33pm; Reply: 11
Whenever I see league tables from years ago I'm always amazed at the huge difference between home and away records.

A team would get promoted having won nearly all of their home games, but then only win 3 or 4 on the road. I've also seen tables where teams are relegated after winning a fair chunk at home but losing every single away game.

These days teams often finish with a better record away than at home.

I presume this is down to a mix of factors, like pitches being better than they used to be, new grounds being less intimidating, tactics for playing away evolving, etc.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 9, 2017, 2:59pm; Reply: 12
I think if we play with a bit of pace and take the game to the opposition we will make BP a fortress.

History tells us Slade will seek to get some pace out wide and up front so that is the first part and in Osborne we have a player who can travel comfortably with the ball at his feet and also pick a pass.

If we see the players busting a gut to win the second ball I am sure the fans will make BP intimidating once more.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 2:30am