Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 26, 2017, 3:49pm
Joey Barton banned for 18 months and £30,000 fine for betting on footy games over the last 10 years,

Posted by: Civvy at last, April 26, 2017, 4:23pm; Reply: 1
[quote=672]Joey Barton banned for 18 months and £30,000 fine for betting on footy games over the last 10 years,

[/quote

Apparently he's gutted.

He had 10 grand on a twelve month ban at 3/1  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, April 26, 2017, 4:25pm; Reply: 2
Seems a bit harsh given the 2 Accrington lads were banned for half the time for betting on their own team to lose a game in which they were playing.

That was years ago though so probably not relevant anymore I suppose.
Posted by: Kris2, April 26, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
Seems a bit harsh given the 2 Accrington lads were banned for half the time for betting on their own team to lose a game in which they were playing.

I guess it depends how you look at it considering the trouble he's been in with the FA in the past. The guy though he has talent has some serious issues it's probably better if they can keep him away from football as long as possible.
Posted by: Freemoash88, April 26, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 4
Nothing surprises me with Joey anymore. The sooner he retires the better the blokes a stain on the beautiful game.
Posted by: livosnose, April 26, 2017, 5:54pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Abdul19

One of them is his best mate Andrew Mangan
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 26, 2017, 5:54pm; Reply: 6
They finally nailed him . Bet the fa big wigs are loving it . And all for a load of meaningless small bets that he had no influence over or any real gain from except a bit of fun .
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 26, 2017, 6:30pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
They finally nailed him . Bet the fa big wigs are loving it . And all for a load of meaningless small bets that he had no influence over or any real gain from except a bit of fun .

That's the way Barton will see it too. Problem with him is that he thinks rules only apply to ordinary mortals. He's a clever bloke and not a bad player in his way. The way he behaves makes you wonder if he has some sort of psychological defect.
Posted by: mariner83, April 26, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 8
[tweet]857207618468806656[/tweet]
[tweet]857208914034688001[/tweet]
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, April 26, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 9
Can he bet on football whilst he's banned?
Posted by: Stadium, April 26, 2017, 7:03pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete
Joey Barton banned for 18 months and £30,000 fine for betting on footy games over the last 10 years,

Midfielder Joey Barton has been suspended from all football activity for 18 months.

Free to re-sign for Rangers then.
Posted by: Chris Packit, April 26, 2017, 7:23pm; Reply: 11
Good Riddance! Never was a deterrent sentence more well deserved.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 26, 2017, 7:24pm; Reply: 12
Rich, stupid footballer gets banned for doing something stupid. Forgive me while i go and cry.

If only there had been another outlet for his gambling, like say, horse racing or the dogs, or poker or roulette or something?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 26, 2017, 8:02pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
Rich, stupid footballer gets banned for doing something stupid. Forgive me while i go and cry.

If only there had been another outlet for his gambling, like say, horse racing or the dogs, or poker or roulette or something?

Though not in the match day squad he betted on his own team losing which makes him an even bigger knob IMHO.  
Posted by: golfer, April 26, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 14
He'll be free now to put the finishing touches to" The Gary Lineker Story"
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 26, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 15
He's a knob but he's got a point about gambling sponsorship and advertisers. Football doesn't need that money. There'll be no hardship if they said 'thanks but no thanks' and made less money from them.
Posted by: Codswede, April 26, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Though not in the match day squad he betted on his own team losing which makes him an even bigger knob IMHO.  

Even better, he bet on anyone but Georges Samaras scoring the first goal when they were both playing in the same team  ;D literally looks like the only bet he ever won.

[url]http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/[/url]
Posted by: GrimRob, April 27, 2017, 7:03am; Reply: 17
18 months is very harsh. He won't be the only one either. It will probably be reduced on appeal. Can he go abroad?
Posted by: Cloudy, April 27, 2017, 7:10am; Reply: 18
The rules today are, in my view over the top these days. Not so much in the players case although why, for example should Shaun Pearson not be allowed a bet on Barcelona?

The ban extends to all people working for a pro club, Dale Ladson cannot have 25p each way on Aston Villa to win the Championship. Overkill
Posted by: RoboCod, April 27, 2017, 8:41am; Reply: 19
At least those book sales of his will ease the blow of that hefty fine.....
Posted by: Rick12, April 27, 2017, 8:46am; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete

Silly boy.Admired his passion as a player even if he was a bit dirty at times.Sadly temptation got the better of him.Reap what you sow
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 27, 2017, 11:10am; Reply: 21

That's the way Barton will see it too. Problem with him is that he thinks rules only apply to ordinary mortals. He's a clever bloke and not a bad player in his way. The way he behaves makes you wonder if he has some sort of psychological defect.

Having read his book in the last few weeks, I would say you're probably right.

I'm far from a Barton fan and find him a prat, but I would highly recommend his book.  He certainly makes you think about things and the perception of him in a different way.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 27, 2017, 1:20pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from diehardmariner

Having read his book in the last few weeks, I would say you're probably right.

I'm far from a Barton fan and find him a prat, but I would highly recommend his book.  He certainly makes you think about things and the perception of him in a different way.

Does he say why he stuck a lighted cigar in a junior players eye while at Man City ?

Or when he broke a fellow players cheek bone while on the training pitch ?
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2017, 4:23pm; Reply: 23
The young keeper lad set fire to his shirt or something didn't he?
Posted by: RoboCod, April 27, 2017, 4:33pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19

I think Joey had just lost his shirt in the Bookies  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, April 27, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 25
Didn't John Oster once shoot a youth team player in the eye with an air rifle?

There was a time when youth players had to just clean the senior players boots and now it seems anything goes with the arrogant sharp objects. Too much money in the game.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 27, 2017, 4:41pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Abdul19

That's it pretty much, high jinx and bantz..  Both this and the Dabo incident are covered in some detail.  

Posted by: RichMariner, April 27, 2017, 4:51pm; Reply: 27
I seriously can't think of another profession where someone who acts like Joey Barton would get so many second chances.

If you're a professional sportsman or woman, you simply can't gamble. You can't bring the game's integrity into question, because the minute fans start doubting a player's intentions you lose a massive part of the game.

No one will watch a sport or a sportsperson they don't trust.

I personally think the ban is fair. What he's done has the potential to cause far more damage to the sport than one of his spats with another player or official and, as usual with Joey Barton, he should've known better.

I have zero sympathy for him if it ends his career.
Posted by: mimma, April 27, 2017, 6:06pm; Reply: 28
He's admitted that he has a gambling addiction, which is the same as a drug addiction.

That Hull player tested positive for cocaine, was given a lesser ban and sent to rehab.

Barton has had anger issues in the past, but has had therapy, which seems to have worked. Fatty Rhead tried to intimidate him, but he just kept walking away.

Should Barton have been given similar help, or because it's him just ban him out of the game?
Posted by: MrFisherman, April 28, 2017, 7:49am; Reply: 29
He  deserves all he gets and as for the statement he put out typical shot from him blaming everyone but himself and why does the FA have to jusify his ban when he's been warned in the past about it.If it was me I'd have given him the maximum ban and the biggest fine imposed hoping it'll put others off ;) :-/
Posted by: Helgy, April 28, 2017, 6:05pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from mimma
He's admitted that he has a gambling addiction, which is the same as a drug addiction.

That Hull player tested positive for cocaine, was given a lesser ban and sent to rehab.

Barton has had anger issues in the past, but has had therapy, which seems to have worked. Fatty Rhead tried to intimidate him, but he just kept walking away.

Should Barton have been given similar help, or because it's him just ban him out of the game?

Rheads got a low body fat but if you had seen Parkin jeez his belly wobbled as he ran he's put that much on.
That was the worst I have seen on a pro footballer.

Posted by: jaygy, April 28, 2017, 6:22pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Helgy

Rheads got a low body fat but if you had seen Parkin jeez his belly wobbled as he ran he's put that much on.
That was the worst I have seen on a pro footballer.

You never see mcnulty play? He bossed the game but couldn't move more than 5yards without being out of breath. I am still mystified how he got away with it
Posted by: livosnose, April 28, 2017, 7:14pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings
Didn't John Oster once shoot a youth team player in the eye with an air rifle?

There was a time when youth players had to just clean the senior players boots and now it seems anything goes with the arrogant sharp objects. Too much money in the game.

Yes he did . He also punched a bar maid at the Leeds Xmas party when he was there on loan . Oster can't handle his beer.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 7:49am