Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner_09, April 21, 2017, 4:25pm
Telegraph article suggests that he wants to stay but having heard the interview it still doesn't sound especially encouraging.
Posted by: mariner91, April 21, 2017, 4:36pm; Reply: 1
If there's any chance of keeping him then we'd be mad not to, we will not get a better LB in L2. RS put a good squad together in 05/06 but Andrew is twice the player Tom Newey was.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 21, 2017, 5:34pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Mariner_09
Telegraph article suggests that he wants to stay but having heard the interview it still doesn't sound especially encouraging.

It sounded far more encouraging than the last quotes on the matter.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 21, 2017, 9:11pm; Reply: 3
Carl Magnay March 2015 "I'd sign a contract now if the club put it in front of me" until someone put a bigger one in front of him that is.

Not comparing Magnay and Danny Andrew but remember they are "professional footballers"  and as they say when they make a move for more money "its a short career".............Unless you knuckle done and get a job afterwards.

Would love to keep him as he's a good player who's had a god season and a solid back 4 (not 3 Marcus :)) will be the foundation for any success we could have.  
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 22, 2017, 8:21am; Reply: 4
If Pools go down, would you have Magnay and Amond back?
Posted by: golfer, April 22, 2017, 8:27am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
If Pools go down, would you have Magnay and Amond back?

Amond without a doubt
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 22, 2017, 8:45am; Reply: 6
[quote=40]If Pools go down, would you have Magnay and Amond back?[/quote

Just Podge

Posted by: 75 (Guest), April 22, 2017, 8:57am; Reply: 7
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Carl Magnay March 2015 "I'd sign a contract now if the club put it in front of me" until someone put a bigger one in front of him that is.

We should have offered him a contract in March 2015 then. His performances at the time warranted it.

We still haven't learned when proven players should be offered extensions. To let players contracts run down is counter productive IMO as that player will need to be replaced, despite all the scouting in the world that replacement is an unknown quantity.

In the case of Danny Andrew, he says the club have not made him an offer yet. Put it this way, if you had a contract at your place of work which had six weeks left on it, would you be putting out feelers for a new contract elsewhere? And if you did that and found you had more lucrative options than your current contract would you seriously consider it? Danny has bills to pay like everyone else. He should have been offered a new deal and an extension around new year time.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 22, 2017, 9:01am; Reply: 8
Player comments on contract to make himself look honourable shocker !!

Imagine...

With 3 games still to play for his current club , a soon to be out of contract Danny Andrew , tells the public he isnt interested in re-signing and was only using this season as a springboard to prove his fitness so he could get a better deal from a football club higher up the pyramid....

Danny confirmed.... " it was always a one year option and no intention of extending beyond that, i am better than this level but needed this move to prove my fitness, i didnt even know where Grimsby was until my agent landed me here. I am in the game for money and glory and as we have no glory here then i am after the money now .....so any clubs out there need an ever present full back come and speak to me or my agent" ....

if only Carlsberg did press releases .. :P
Posted by: Bigdog, April 22, 2017, 9:43am; Reply: 9
The one thing that should work in our favour is the location of his home near Boston and having a young family. The wages paid by most clubs in the lower tiers of the EFL don't allow for expensive relocation costs and there's not too many clubs he could realistically sign for within reasonable commuting distance.

Whether our club matches his ambition behind the scenes or is willing to pay enough to secure one of the best left backs in the league we'll find out over the summer.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 22, 2017, 9:58am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Bigdog
The one thing that should work in our favour is the location of his home near Boston and having a young family. The wages paid in the lower tiers of the EFL don't allow for expensive relocation costs and there's not too many clubs he could realistically sign for within reasonable commuting distance.

Lincoln ?
Bigger gates
Rolling in football fortune
Track record of taking our players
Closer for him
Big church to look at
Posted by: MrFisherman, April 22, 2017, 10:00am; Reply: 11
When a players contract is up at the end of a season they can start talking to other clubs in the January before it finishes ;) ;)
Posted by: Mariner_09, April 22, 2017, 10:04am; Reply: 12
I really hope that the prospect of a new stadium and the huge amount of money raised from the Omar sale mean we can start being more ambitious. We have a number of promising players. Jones, Osborne, Rose and possibly even Mills and Asante.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), April 22, 2017, 10:07am; Reply: 13
Quoted from MrFisherman
When a players contract is up at the end of a season they can start talking to other clubs in the January before it finishes ;) ;)

Or sign a pre contract agreement with Scottish and foreign clubs hence why I said we should have sorted his deal out then. We do it every year.
Posted by: rancido, April 22, 2017, 11:52am; Reply: 14
Quoted from 75

We should have offered him a contract in March 2015 then. His performances at the time warranted it.

We still haven't learned when proven players should be offered extensions. To let players contracts run down is counter productive IMO as that player will need to be replaced, despite all the scouting in the world that replacement is an unknown quantity.

In the case of Danny Andrew, he says the club have not made him an offer yet. Put it this way, if you had a contract at your place of work which had six weeks left on it, would you be putting out feelers for a new contract elsewhere? And if you did that and found you had more lucrative options than your current contract would you seriously consider it? Danny has bills to pay like everyone else. He should have been offered a new deal and an extension around new year time.

But he also says in the same article that he leaves all of the matters dealing with his contract to his agent. For all we know discussions could be taking place between the agent and the club with Danny only being informed when his agent lets him know what's on offer.
Posted by: golfer, April 22, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Mariner_09
I really hope that the prospect of a new stadium and the huge amount of money raised from the Omar sale mean we can start being more ambitious. We have a number of promising players. Jones, Osborne, Rose and possibly even Mills and Asante.

How much of the Omar money is left to spend and do you think Andrew will be playing when he's 50  :)
Posted by: 75 (Guest), April 23, 2017, 9:24am; Reply: 16
Quoted from rancido

But he also says in the same article that he leaves all of the matters dealing with his contract to his agent. For all we know discussions could be taking place between the agent and the club with Danny only being informed when his agent lets him know what's on offer.

I think the agent would have mentioned it to him! If not, I'd sack the agent.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 23, 2017, 10:57am; Reply: 17
Quoted from moosey_club

Lincoln ?
Bigger gates
Rolling in football fortune
Track record of taking our players
Closer for him
Big church to look at

But already got a very good left back, thankfully!!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 23, 2017, 11:17am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

But already got a very good left back, thankfully!!!

But not as good as Andrew!
Posted by: Mariner_09, April 23, 2017, 11:44am; Reply: 19
I think Habergham's better defensively than Andrew, he really impressed me in the play offs last season, Andrew is better going forward though.
Posted by: Chris Packit, April 23, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 20
Could it be that 'the club' were waiting for the new manager's opinion before offering contracts? Andrew is a good wing-back. Is he as good at full-back?
Posted by: Meza, April 23, 2017, 1:53pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mariner_09
I think Habergham's better defensively than Andrew, he really impressed me in the play offs last season, Andrew is better going forward though.

until Marshall came on and changed the game as he couldn't cope with him.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 23, 2017, 7:58pm; Reply: 22
Maybe now we have a manager that will give him some help he might fancy staying that goes for one or two more.
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 23
Hope he stays and, if he does, I hope his shooting is better than yesterday as he had some flipping rubbish long-range shots!
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, April 23, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Maringer
Hope he stays and, if he does, I hope his shooting is better than yesterday as he had some flipping rubbish long-range shots!

He definitely fancied getting a goal yesterday
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:46pm