Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 20, 2017, 12:06pm
LOT 308 SPORTINGOLD Auction this morning.

Grimsby vs Manchester United 1947-8 programme guide price £230 - £250. Condition fair / good.

Sold for £1,350.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 20, 2017, 12:20pm; Reply: 1
I have got  a Braintree v Town programme,

Saving it for my great grandkids to sell for a fortune years from now .(thumbup2)
Posted by: Simariner, April 20, 2017, 1:45pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from jock dock tower
LOT 308 SPORTINGOLD Auction this morning.

Grimsby vs Manchester United 1947-8 programme guide price £230 - £250. Condition fair / good.

Sold for £1,350.

Why so much ??
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 20, 2017, 2:13pm; Reply: 3
It is a very rare programme Si. Coupled with the fact that you have three or four United collectors / businessmen who see it as their duty to outbid each other so they can each say "I've got the biggest willy" BTW, I sold a 1945-6 Town vs United programme about 5 years back for £200, so age isn't everything - and there'd have been a lot less programmes printed for the 45-6 one.

They are the most collectable club in terms of money spent annually on rare programmes, no doubt about that, but the Town programme outsold all the others that had similar minimum price guides around the £250 mark. Town are a very well collected club and their pro0grammes always punch well above their weight.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 20, 2017, 3:02pm; Reply: 4
The 1939 FAC semi-final Town v Wolves at Old Trafford set their ground record (76,962), which still stands.

It was a record defeat for a FAC semi-final (5-0), and one of the last big games played before WW2 started.  We also lost 2 keepers, just before and during the game.  This must have been some kind of record. No subs allowed in those days.

I would have thought that any programme for this game would be rare and valuable.  I believe that 2 have been sold in recent years for only about £200 - £300.  This seems to be under-valued, given the history behind the game.  l JDT should be able to provide more info on this.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, April 20, 2017, 3:35pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have got  a Braintree v Town programme,

Saving it for my great grandkids to sell for a fortune years from now .(thumbup2)

A little hint, the final game of the season away to Braintree in the 13/14 season will be worth a few bob, only printed a few and sold out the away end practically at 2:20 when we walked in.
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 20, 2017, 4:05pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The 1939 FAC semi-final Town v Wolves at Old Trafford set their ground record (76,962), which still stands.

It was a record defeat for a FAC semi-final (5-0), and one of the last big games played before WW2 started.  We also lost 2 keepers, just before and during the game.  This must have been some kind of record. No subs allowed in those days.

I would have thought that any programme for this game would be rare and valuable.  I believe that 2 have been sold in recent years for only about £200 - £300.  This seems to be under-valued, given the history behind the game.  l JDT should be able to provide more info on this.

It's the kind of programme that has devalued, sadly, over the years. In the 1980s it was a £300 programme - £700-£800 at today's rate - but as people have collected it over the years there's not so many folk willing to get involved in auction bidding wars.

Would assume if it were to be sold at a GTFC Sportsmen's dinner at the end of the night when everyone was blootered it would probably hit the grand mark - but no sober person would ever pay that.

Posted by: Eastendmariner, April 22, 2017, 9:43am; Reply: 7
A lot of pre 1950 Town Progs are  very costly to buy in comparison to. Other teams but at least ebay has brought the opportunity to give anyone to make  good rare Town Progs availiable to collectors When I started in the mid 70's  The 2 Town semis where so rare  and as for prewar home Progs I'd never seen one . The prob with online auctions. (Not ebay) your gonna pay  a  commission to the body that's handling the sale.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:05pm