Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, April 19, 2017, 9:09am
19 years ago. Happy memories.
Posted by: fleabag1970, April 19, 2017, 9:17am; Reply: 1
The best moment supporting town for me . Something about the golden goal at our first Wembley visit
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 19, 2017, 9:37am; Reply: 2
[img]http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275785/Article/images/18155995/4568213.jpg[/img]
Posted by: mariner83, April 19, 2017, 12:40pm; Reply: 3
[URL=http://www.sherv.net/][IMG]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sport/won-the-trophy-smiley-emoticon.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFB5AaBWgAAuUA6.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Garth, April 19, 2017, 1:24pm; Reply: 4
Fantastic Day
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, April 19, 2017, 4:39pm; Reply: 5
With that golden goal you really spoiled us Mr Burnett.
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 19, 2017, 5:12pm; Reply: 6
One of the worst days of my life.

Half way up a mountain in Norway. Living in a fking snow hole.  Whilst my boyhood dream of watching Town run out at Wembley was not looking good.
No tinterweb bollox those days. So luckily had no idea of the score.
Back to camp at 2am. The guy who ran the bar had not only recorded it, but kept the bar open for half a dozen of us to watch it. As if it were live. Me being the only Town fan. Fking brilliant. Warm room, cold beer and the promise of a 24,hour stand down if Town won.  Get the fcuk in.

So for me. I remember Wayne Burnett day + 1.

To be fair to the squad, on hearing of my disappointment at not being there, they decided to go back a couple of weeks later and win again. This time in my presence.  Happy days.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 19, 2017, 5:31pm; Reply: 7
Happiest town moment for me, best way to win a final ever!
Posted by: lee65, April 19, 2017, 6:29pm; Reply: 8
Just amazing, that moment when the golden goal ended the game seemed surreal  :)
Posted by: gary_elton, April 19, 2017, 6:43pm; Reply: 9
What a day..... I cried... sobbed tears of joy.... one of the 28,500..... bloody brilliant  !!!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 19, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 10
Remember Wayne Burnett being full of cold and struggling to breathe properly. Think it was Howe who gave away the corner, how fortunes change the cherries were so close to folding earlier.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 19, 2017, 7:03pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin
[img]http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275785/Article/images/18155995/4568213.jpg[/img]

My favourite sports photograph of all time.

Great day. Unforgettable.
Posted by: chaos33, April 19, 2017, 7:39pm; Reply: 12
Great day. I think 'Dodge' was as happy as the Town fans with that goal.
Posted by: Cloudy, April 19, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 13
Strangely my abiding memory was not Wayne Burnett golden goal but the moment the teams walked out.

I never, ever thought my beloved team would walk out at Wembley, it was then the reserve of the big clubs, tears rolled down my cheeks
Posted by: forza ivano, April 19, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from KingstonMariner

My favourite sports photograph of all time.

Great day. Unforgettable.

Imho I have a better one on my kitchen wall.taken from the Bournemouth end
So Wayne is wheeling away and town fans are going mental in the background. Think it may have come from Reuters
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 19, 2017, 8:59pm; Reply: 15

When Bailey scored the opening goal and they held the lead for such a long time I feared the worst, but all came good in the end and the best side won.

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/on-this-day-town-lift-the-autowindscreens-shield-3683336.aspx
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), April 19, 2017, 9:04pm; Reply: 16
I was there but don't remember much, but drank too much, can you buy the match on DVD?
Posted by: Abdul19, April 19, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 17
Abdul's Auto Windscreens Shield (sometimes bafflingly called the Auto Windshield) fact of the day. It's the only time I've ever had a dump at a footy ground (I mean, it was in the toilet, I'm not an animal)

Also, Kevin Webster was playing in the charity match before the game.
Posted by: livosnose, April 19, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 18
I was balls deep working as a holiday rep in Magaluf . Did watch the play off final though as I didn't turn up to work that day.  :)
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 19, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 19
A day and especially the golden goal moment that will live with me forever, what a feeling, what an era to be a Town fan.
Posted by: sydney, April 19, 2017, 10:20pm; Reply: 20
Great Day
Great few Seasons
Come on Town let's do it all again !!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 19, 2017, 10:52pm; Reply: 21
As a Micky-mouse cup, I thought that I did not care who won.  When the game kicked off I was suddenly desperate to win.  A win is a win at Wembley.

Brian Clough said that it only takes a second to score a goal.  Wayne proved that and what a very special one second!

Pre-match drinks at a nearby pub, with Bournemouth fans also there, got things going.  Chats to all a lass supporting Bournemouth to get her t its out, resulted in just that!  Anyone else remember that?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 19, 2017, 11:05pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
As a Micky-mouse cup, I thought that I did not care who won.  When the game kicked off I was suddenly desperate to win.  A win is a win at Wembley.

Brian Clough said that it only takes a second to score a goal.  Wayne proved that and what a very special one second!

Pre-match drinks at a nearby pub, with Bournemouth fans also there, got things going.  Chats to all a lass supporting Bournemouth to get her t its out, resulted in just that!  Anyone else remember that?

Yes me. Thanks to you you saucy little beggar, that's the day I decided to have a sex change and become a Grimsby fan. (tongue2)
Posted by: lee65, April 19, 2017, 11:19pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Cloudy
Strangely my abiding memory was not Wayne Burnett golden goal but the moment the teams walked out.

I never, ever thought my beloved team would walk out at Wembley, it was then the reserve of the big clubs, tears rolled down my cheeks

To "roll with it" by Oasis if I recall correctly, just awesome  :)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 20, 2017, 8:18am; Reply: 24
I was in the Tivoli Tavern watching it, went straight from work to the Tivoli, brilliant atmosphere.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 20, 2017, 9:50am; Reply: 25
I forget the name of the pub in Bayswater which was owned by a Town fan which was absolutely rammed on the Sunday before the game. It was quicker to go across the road to the McDonalds to use the loo it was that full both inside and out.

Was a brilliant pre-match atmosphere there on the day.
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 20, 2017, 10:11am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin
I forget the name of the pub in Bayswater which was owned by a Town fan which was absolutely rammed on the Sunday before the game. It was quicker to go across the road to the McDonalds to use the loo it was that full both inside and out.

Was a brilliant pre-match atmosphere there on the day.

Not the old 'I was only using the toilet' routine Les.

What was your excuse for the bbq sauce on your chin 😃

PS.    You didn't see Danny North in there by any chance did you  ðŸ˜‰
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 20, 2017, 10:29am; Reply: 27
I took my granddaughter to Wembley and I told her she was very lucky,

I had waited until Town got to Wembley before visiting the stadium,

So I was 50 years old by the time I made it,

Then what do you know we go again 5 weeks later,
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 20, 2017, 10:33am; Reply: 28
Just remembered the name of that pub. The Rat & Parrot I think it was.
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 20, 2017, 10:48am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Les Brechin
Just remembered the name of that pub. The Rat & Parrot I think it was.

It was Les and got plenty of publicity.
We played Ipswich (I think) early the following season and it was on Sky.   As I was in London at that weekend I went there. The 'massive Grimsby Town fan' wouldn't even put it on.   He said his 'regulars' wanted the horse racing on.  If only I was on the fishy then he would have got my twit of the week.  Can't remember which pub we did watch it on. But I think we lost anyway.
Posted by: GTFC_85, April 20, 2017, 12:53pm; Reply: 30
That double substitution on 55 minutes Gally/Clare for Kingsley and Livvo. Totally changed the momentum of that game in our favour. Tactical genius. We caused them so many problems that 2nd half
Posted by: chaos33, April 20, 2017, 12:54pm; Reply: 31
Totally correct.
Posted by: sam gy, April 20, 2017, 1:13pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

As did the man he once signed for £1.5 million, Mr Kingsley Black. :)

One of my favourite players of that era.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 20, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Cloudy

What Cloudy said........
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 20, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 34
I think lots of us had that re-action. I remember turning up not that long before kick-off to be confronted by 20-odd thousand Town fans around the curved end of the old Wembley. Talk about lump in the throat. NEVER thought I would see that.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 20, 2017, 10:24pm; Reply: 35
Yes, probably my greatest Town memory, along with the night we beat Exeter 3-0 to win the 4th Division championship in front of a zillion town fans! Or so it seemed to a this young lad at the time! I wish there was footage of that night.

Must say the Arnold goal in the playoff final comes close though, because of what it meant in terms of a return to the league..
Posted by: moosey_club, April 20, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Cloudy

with you there Cloudy....just seconds before i was happily enjoying the build up and atmosphere, laughing and joking with my mates and then.....
boooom !!   out of nowhere....tears of joy streaming down my face.
Posted by: Garth, April 21, 2017, 9:15am; Reply: 37
Same feelings along with Jevon`s goal at Liverpool and Wilko`s at Everton, Burnett`s because of what was then a seemed impossibility of us ever appearing at the old Wembley, and Jevon and Wilko because we were beating two teams on their own patches in a David v Goliath contest
Posted by: Caveman, April 21, 2017, 11:04am; Reply: 38
Yes ! Jevons, Wilkos' Dobbins and Burnett's - I was there to see them all.

And some pillock has the cheek  to say we've been spoilt. I've been watching for over
seventy years and for those four seconds I've been spoilt.

What does he know ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 21, 2017, 9:20pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Caveman
Yes ! Jevons, Wilkos' Dobbins and Burnett's - I was there to see them all.

And some pillock has the cheek  to say we've been spoilt. I've been watching for over
seventy years
and for those four seconds I've been spoilt.

What does he know ?

So you've seen us play at the top level then. Wow! You have been spoiled  ;)
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 5:04am