Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, March 23, 2017, 7:44am
A Cleethorpes Councillor has made a suggestion:
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/call-to-honour-fifa-president-from-grimsby/story-30222101-detail/story.html

Discuss.  ;-)

Why hasn't he involved the Mariners Trust, at least not as far as I can tell from the article?
(i suppose, clutching at straws, the Trust will have some involvement in debate at Board level)

Have I missed this issue on here or does he not realise the role of the Trust, and for that matter the Fishy, even Facebook and Twitter in all things GTFC?!!?!?
Posted by: barralad, March 23, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 1
He has contacted the Trust through our enquiries address.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 23, 2017, 9:28am; Reply: 2
What's to discuss?  JF is reported as saying he doesnt see why not and will take it to the board. Job done.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 23, 2017, 10:11am; Reply: 3
What's this legacy the councillor is banging on about? Also maybe I'm a cynic but I don't see a statue of a former director inspiring kids.  
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 23, 2017, 10:15am; Reply: 4
Might be more appropriate than a Michael Jackson statue at a football ground though.
Posted by: bax, March 23, 2017, 10:46am; Reply: 5
If there was to be a statue at the new stadium, I'd personally prefer to see one of Sir Alan over anyone else.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 23, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 6
When I was a young lad Arthur Drewry was in a very important position with FIFA,

I am surprised he has not been honoured in some way by the club,

Maybe a stand in the new stadium could be names after him or some part of the ground would have a plaque placed somewhere prominent .

I agree with Bax a statue of Alan Buckley would be great.
Posted by: Chips44, March 23, 2017, 12:39pm; Reply: 7
I remember Arthur Drewry being guest of honour at my school Speech Day.
Unfortunately this coincided with a rather virulent Asian Flu epidemic.
This decimated school attendances,but I escaped until the day before,so I sadly missed seeing
him. Must be one of the few days I would rather have been at school than at home!
Posted by: Grimal, March 23, 2017, 9:51pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from bax
If there was to be a statue at the new stadium, I'd personally prefer to see one of Sir Alan over anyone else.

Surely you're not telling me you would sooner have a statue at the new stadium of Sir Alan  rather than one of Mr.De'freitas stood proudly at the main entrance ;),  I would prefer to see framed photos of De'freitas pinned up in every one of the mens urinals.  UTM..

Posted by: MarinerGaz, March 24, 2017, 7:04am; Reply: 9
Can't we just pin THE De Freitas up?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 24, 2017, 5:13pm; Reply: 10
At the same time as Arthur Drewery was on FIFA, there was Frederick Arthur Would who joined the Town board in 1946 until about 1970 I think. He was chairman for around 15 years and was also on the FA, I think he was on the selection committee in 1966. Not everyone's cup of tea but he did a lot for the club and for the game.
Posted by: Chips44, March 24, 2017, 5:37pm; Reply: 11
The mention of F.A.Would brought back memories.
There used to be a rather large guy,who was obviously the worse for wear,used to stand at the front of the Barratt Stand. He would stand there, when things were not going well, bottle of Newcastle Brown in hand,and shout in an extremely loud and gruff voice "Are you there Would?"

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 24, 2017, 6:06pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Chips44
The mention of F.A.Would brought back memories.
There used to be a rather large guy,who was obviously the worse for wear,used to stand at the front of the Barratt Stand. He would stand there, when things were not going well, bottle of Newcastle Brown in hand,and shout in an extremely loud and gruff voice "Are you there Would?"

Yes, I was in the old Boys Paddock when he was doing that. I often wondered what happened to him. He seemed to suddenly disappear. Do you reckon he could be under one of Wouldy's building projects? ;D

Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:54pm