Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, March 18, 2017, 8:39pm
Another shocking 90 minutes in Bignots reign.  Shocking starting formation and the poor players look completely deflated and bemused by the whole situation.  Crowds dropping all the time, and fortress BP, you could hear a pin drop today.  The whole set up is flat, and the reality is that the situation will not get any better with MB in charge.  Now that we are practically safe, why not get a new man in now to take charge for the rest of this season, and assess  the squad going into the summer. If we keep with this pound shop mentality when recruiting managers we will surely head back to the National League.  How many people are eager to renew their season ticket with MB in charge ????

MB isn't working at Town, his approach will never work, give somebody else a chance.   Red crosses by the tonne no doubt for me, but I along with many others are sick of watching pure dross at BP recently, and then listening to the worst excuses by the manager I have ever heard of.

UTM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 18, 2017, 8:44pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Another shocking 90 minutes in Bignots reign.  Shocking starting formation and the poor players look completely deflated and bemused by the whole situation.  Crowds dropping all the time, and fortress BP, you could hear a pin drop today.  The whole set up is flat, and the reality is that the situation will not get any better with MB in charge.  Now that we are practically safe, why not get a new man in now to take charge for the rest of this season, and assess  the squad going into the summer. If we keep with this pound shop mentality when recruiting managers we will surely head back to the National League.  How many people are eager to renew their season ticket with MB in charge ????

MB isn't working at Town, his approach will never work, give somebody else a chance.   Red crosses by the tonne no doubt for me, but I along with many others are sick of watching pure dross at BP recently, and then listening to the worst excuses by the manager I have ever heard of.

UTM

Well that's a bit weird for me - our home form is improving and I'm sure Hurst was manager when we lost at home to Cheltenham, Orient and Hartlepool who are three of the bottom 5.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, March 18, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 2
Go watch Clee then.
Posted by: A.l.f., March 18, 2017, 9:13pm; Reply: 3
Not a good game but 'another shocking 90 minutes' ? -  thought we played some nice stuff in patches before and after our goal.
Second half is best forgotten, however too many individual errors and too much giving the ball away and not going forward enough for me, when in good positions.  Is that all MB's fault - no it isn't.
Lots of room for improvement and lets see how things develop before constantly calling the manager.  I get bored how the managers take so much stick and blame from all clubs and players escape much of it.  Tony Pullis put things in perspective today when discussing Arsene Wenger, saying that Arsenal have been top 4 for the last umpteen years and in an FA Cup Semi-final.  Lots of clubs would love that.  I fear fans have become too impatient as its unrealistic to win almost every match.
Its all about next season now, so lets hope we get better and then with a few additions and a good pre-season see where
We are before making realistic judgements.
I am a Grimsby Town 'supporter' and will be at Accrington next Saturday as it sure beats places like Histon, Boreham Wood and Braintree and i am ok with where we are at present - a football league club. UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 18, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 4
Another shocking 90 minutes in Bignots reign.  Shocking starting formation and the poor players look completely deflated and bemused by the whole situation.  Crowds dropping all the time, and fortress BP, you could hear a pin drop today.  The whole set up is flat, and the reality is that the situation will not get any better with MB in charge.  Now that we are practically safe, why not get a new man in now to take charge for the rest of this season, and assess  the squad going into the summer. If we keep with this pound shop mentality when recruiting managers we will surely head back to the National League. How many people are eager to renew their season ticket with MB in charge ????

UTM

Well I would be happy to renew my season ticket with MB in charge.

In reality we are committed to giving MB a chance next season end of.

I agree with the pound shop bit though.

Posted by: Tommy, March 18, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 5
Sack the manager after 4 months of midtable form?

Is that the type of club you want us to become?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 18, 2017, 9:47pm; Reply: 6

UTM

Utter bollox from a complete WUM.

And.........I'll be getting a season ticket again with my dad on the day they go on sale.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 18, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Utter bollox from a complete WUM.

And.........I'll be getting a season ticket again with my dad on the day they go on sale.

Posted by: Vance Warner, March 18, 2017, 9:58pm; Reply: 8

UTM

"It's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know you're here"
Posted by: ginnywings, March 18, 2017, 11:40pm; Reply: 9
Think you need to go and do something else on a Saturday.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, March 19, 2017, 12:09am; Reply: 10
Wow most of you lot still living in non league clearly when we was winning most of any games, am sure most of you lot forget we are in the football league clearly lot harder than non league lower your expectations for god, we are not exactly in a bad position now are we ? Could be a lot worse look
At Cheltenham stormed last season now they are sitting I think 5 points of relegation I know where I would rather be ! UTM ⚫️⚪️
Posted by: dicko995, March 19, 2017, 3:56am; Reply: 11
Don't know why the titl holder on here gets lots of red crosses, maybe the truth hurts. MB talks the talk, and walks the walk, well maybe its time he stopped the talk and do the walking. Not impressed at all by his tactics, rotating the team all the time, it was boring today,as other games have been. Since Omar left, there doesn't seem to be anywhere a goal will come from. I don't enjoy what is going on, and don't relate to the team anymore,it just seems the players don't enjoy the plan set out by MB, if there was one in the first place. Getting very tired of the usual interviews with the accolade of the fan praise etc, and wanting to do extra time in training, it just doesn't wash with me. And before you all red cross me, look at the stats from when he came here and what the point situation is, not impressive, a couple of great away wins, and that's it. I was one of the followers when he came here, he really impressed me and I thought, Wow, good times ahead. Not any more, we are in disarray, I watch and watch, and I don't see any progress, we have lost our attack,and I think our confidence. So, where do we go from here, yes, you will all say, stick with him, we are secure in the league, and next season will be better. We will still have the same players, maybe a few less, as some are tied to the end of this season. Then...more signings. We have a lot of players and a lot of expense being paid each week, and dread to think if the books are being balanced. Will be glad to see the season finished, and don't hold any hope or excitement for next season.I am sad for our future with MB at the realm.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 19, 2017, 6:06am; Reply: 12
It would be nice to have a settled side for once I think Bignot as got to many choices to be honest.

Not sure what formation he is trying to play we made so many mistakes yesterday after a very good spell how the feck does that happen???

Even simple passing was going astray we became rubbish after half time his team talks must be as confusing to the players as they are us.

Seems the players are confused can't remember the number of times a player had the ball and was looking for a player to make a run off the ball or become available.

Collins had a bad game yesterday and his sending off was fully justified if it had not being another yellow it should have been a red last man and all that.

Jones looks a decent player and with better service will get more goals but his frustration at lack of decent service is starting to show on many occasion the players were not reacting or anticipating anything.

Dominic Vose had loads of possession but could not find a player to allow him set up a chance he should have had a few shots at goal it would probably been his best option.

Massive lack of understanding seems to be the common theme running throughout this side until that changes we will never become consistent.
Posted by: lukeo, March 19, 2017, 6:55am; Reply: 13
hillarious thread ... come December after a full pre season and almost half a season if we're hovering in or around the relegation zone then get rid. I can't see that happening myself but hey ho.
I'm HOPING he's just mixing and changing to see what each player can offer and see who can form good partnerships etc. Then once next season is underway I'm HOPING he will have a settled(ish) side with a settled formation
Posted by: heppy88, March 19, 2017, 7:33am; Reply: 14
To be honest I have some sympathy for sentiment of the OP and dicko995. From the outset, I don’t believe MB should be sacked and as others have said, he should be given until at least until the new year.
But, the game yesterday, in the main, was awful.
Apart for 10 minutes either side of our goal we appeared no better than Crawley and they were one of the worst sides at BP this season.
Collins looked exasperated and out of sorts, shouting at the other players out of frustration. In hindsight, his sending off looked inevitable.
IMO, we have regressed. Being midtable should not be an excuse for lack of motivation and poor performances. The players should be motivated to perform whatever league position we are in. Admission charges don’t fluctuate with league position, so neither should the player’s effort.
As bigdog posted on another thread, makes you wonder what the floating 1-2000 fans are making of all this and if it will put off some of the younger supporters? and before some of you tell them to urine off, as they can’t be true supporters, bums on seats equals money, bums on seats equals the future of this club.
Posted by: newarkmariner, March 19, 2017, 7:39am; Reply: 15
The codfather,you are so boring,how come you don't come on here when we win,just jog on you clown ggrrr
Posted by: Cloudy, March 19, 2017, 8:26am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Collins had a bad game yesterday and his sending off was fully justified if it had not being another yellow it should have been a red last man and all that.

I know I am being pedantic but this annoys the bottom off me! Not having a go at the poster BUT there is nothing in the laws about being last man!

It was therefore never, ever under the laws of the game a straight red
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 19, 2017, 8:28am; Reply: 17
By xmas we will be top 3 he's clearly tinkering seeing who can do what and where .. honestly believe we will be challenging next year and don't be surprised if one or two familiar faces are shown the door in may
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 19, 2017, 8:35am; Reply: 18
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
By xmas we will be top 3 he's clearly tinkering seeing who can do what and where .. honestly believe we will be challenging next year and don't be surprised if one or two familiar faces are shown the door in may

I'm not saying we'll be top 3 but I expect us to be in the play-offs next season. I think he's probably got 6 or 7 of what he wants but needs a new keeper, a new centre back, two players who can play with width (one left sided essential) and a replacement for Omar.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 19, 2017, 9:02am; Reply: 19
Quoted from heppy88
To be honest I have some sympathy for sentiment of the OP and dicko995. From the outset, I don’t believe MB should be sacked and as others have said, he should be given until at least until the new year.
Apart for 10 minutes either side of our goal we appeared no better than Crawley and they were one of the worst sides at BP this season.
Collins looked exasperated and out of sorts, shouting at the other players out of frustration. In hindsight, his sending off looked inevitable.
IMO, we have regressed. Being midtable should not be an excuse for lack of motivation and poor performances. The players should be motivated to perform whatever league position we are in. Admission charges don’t fluctuate with league position, so neither should the player’s effort.
As bigdog posted on another thread, makes you wonder what the floating 1-2000 fans are making of all this and if it will put off some of the younger supporters? and before some of you tell them to urine off, as they can’t be true supporters, bums on seats equals money, bums on seats equals the future of this club.

It's clear what they are making of all this. It's why they are called floating fans and they will have a moan, tell all and sundry what the manager should be doing because after all, they are all experts and then they will fook off and come back when we start winning again, either under this manager or another one. There will be many calls of "i'm not paying to watch this sh1t" Well don't then, come back when we are winning under this manager or a different one. It's what floating fans do and that's fine, it's up to them.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 19, 2017, 9:15am; Reply: 20
Quoted from heppy88

Maybe the younger supporters have got too used to us being the big fish in a little pond and expect us to win every week. Maybe they should also consider how big a deal it is to change your squad and lose your leading scorer mid-season and put in to context what benefits it might bring in the future rather than the short term effect. Maybe a large number of fans are just happy to be back in the league and are willing to watch the team develop under a more positive and progressive manager.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 19, 2017, 9:16am; Reply: 21
No way should Bignot be sacked but it is very worrying how disjointed the team is.
Posted by: sydney, March 19, 2017, 9:53am; Reply: 22
I thought in spells we looked better yesterday
Midfield had some bite and we where winning more second balls
That Back Four and a midfield to choose of diz vose Osborne jones etc is something to build on
But as posted before I am far from convinced by What MB is thinking and imparting to the players
Yesterday was a must win for any last remaining hopes of playoffs and we let a poor side off the hook and nearly beat us in the end
One of the pleasures of the pontoon is second half and watching Town push forward and threaten the goal
This happened Very little yesterday in the second half which sums up how the game fell away
Sad that a season so full of promise has petered out to this frustration
Who says it will be any better after 10-12 games next season
I really hope so
Come on Town
Posted by: forza ivano, March 19, 2017, 10:22am; Reply: 23
Quoted from dicko995
Don't know why the titl holder on here gets lots of red crosses, maybe the truth hurts. MB talks the talk, and walks the walk, well maybe its time he stopped the talk and do the walking. Not impressed at all by his tactics, rotating the team all the time, it was boring today,as other games have been. Since Omar left, there doesn't seem to be anywhere a goal will come from. I don't enjoy what is going on, and don't relate to the team anymore,it just seems the players don't enjoy the plan set out by MB, if there was one in the first place. Getting very tired of the usual interviews with the accolade of the fan praise etc, and wanting to do extra time in training, it just doesn't wash with me. And before you all red cross me, look at the stats from when he came here and what the point situation is, not impressive, a couple of great away wins, and that's it. I was one of the followers when he came here, he really impressed me and I thought, Wow, good times ahead. Not any more, we are in disarray, I watch and watch, and I don't see any progress, we have lost our attack,and I think our confidence. So, where do we go from here, yes, you will all say, stick with him, we are secure in the league, and next season will be better. We will still have the same players, maybe a few less, as some are tied to the end of this season. Then...more signings. We have a lot of players and a lot of expense being paid each week, and dread to think if the books are being balanced. Will be glad to see the season finished, and don't hold any hope or excitement for next season.I am sad for our future with MB at the realm.

As I said before Dicko by name, Dicko by nature. Disarray? Newport, Leyton orient, Coventry, Rotherham are clubs in disarray.we are comfortably mid table, having sold our leading goalscorer mid season and losing a potentially top class keeper at the same time.
His stats btw are played 24 won 8 drawn 6 so 30 points , which is about 58 points over the season, again comfortably mid table. Bu, hey, don't let  the facts get in the way of your prejudices
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 19, 2017, 11:01am; Reply: 24
Quoted from forza ivano

As I said before Dicko by name, Dicko by nature. Disarray? Newport, Leyton orient, Coventry, Rotherham are clubs in disarray.we are comfortably mid table, having sold our leading goalscorer mid season and losing a potentially top class keeper at the same time.
His stats btw are played 24 won 8 drawn 6 so 30 points , which is about 58 points over the season, again comfortably mid table. Bu, hey, don't let  the facts get in the way of your prejudices

The 58 point stat is a funny one it could indeed give us mid table safety but also could mean we are crapping ourselves for much of the season.............. I am sure we will pass that well before the last day though.
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, March 19, 2017, 1:38pm; Reply: 25
Spoy on Andrew Doherty, his article summed up the Crawley game perfectly.  Incidentally a game that MB was very happy with and said that the fans can now see how we are trying to play ????????????????????  Yes indeed, pure crap, that is how we are trying to play.  Most fans with half a brain cell can see this as well, a few on here not so lucky.............

UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 19, 2017, 2:06pm; Reply: 26
Why do some posters want to sack the manager every time we do not win ?

We could go through the season with 5 or 6 new managers at least what good would that do ?

Lets wait until next season and he has got a few more of his own players in and see what a settled team can do,

I  sat on the fence for years about Hurst before finally deciding he would never take us up, ( oops )

So to give any new manager at least a year is only fair imo,

We are not the only team that does not play brilliant every week.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 19, 2017, 2:15pm; Reply: 27
Spoy on Andrew Doherty, his article summed up the Crawley game perfectly.  Incidentally a game that MB was very happy with and said that the fans can now see how we are trying to play ????????????????????  Yes indeed, pure crap, that is how we are trying to play.  Most fans with half a brain cell can see this as well, a few on here not so lucky.............

UTM

Is your half a brain cell lonely? Try Match.com and see if you can find the other half.
Posted by: TAGG, March 19, 2017, 4:21pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Is your half a brain cell lonely? Try Match.com and see if you can find the other half.

Have you calmed down yet Mrs Bignot 😂
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 19, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 29
Although I think the original post is a bit OTT he has some points which get pulled apart because unless you are making a point which doesn't simply involve "everyone should be happy we are football league" or in the slightest seeming to be critical of Marcus at the minute or having an opinion in which sees to be negative and the fishy police don't approve then this week it's not allowed.

Next week will be ok though, it's the fishy.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 19, 2017, 4:27pm; Reply: 30
It's funny, because those who are critical are often conveniently absent when we play well.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, March 19, 2017, 4:33pm; Reply: 31
Deja Vue anybody?

"Lets give him till the end of the season"
"Lets wait till Christmas/New Year"

How many times did we hear this under Hurst's tenure?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 19, 2017, 4:37pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from TAGG

Have you calmed down yet Mrs Bignot 😂

Gin in hand and Marcus says 'Hi'  ;D ;D
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 19, 2017, 5:16pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Mariner93er
It's funny, because those who are critical are often conveniently absent when we play well.

They've been on here quite a lot recently then  ;)
Posted by: barralad, March 19, 2017, 10:33pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Deja Vue anybody?

"Lets give him till the end of the season"
"Lets wait till Christmas/New Year"

How many times did we hear this under Hurst's tenure?

That may well be true but the keep him/dump him debate didn't get into full swing until well after his first full season of managing on his own.  Bignot hasn't had the benefit of anything approaching a full season yet...his first!
Posted by: Cloudy, March 20, 2017, 6:43am; Reply: 35
Quoted from barralad

That may well be true but the keep him/dump him debate didn't get into full swing until well after his first full season of managing on his own.  Bignot hasn't had the benefit of anything approaching a full season yet...his first!

Would you say the demand for Bignot to go is in 'full swing'?

Other than a couple of WUM's on here I would suggest the numbers demanding his removal is around 1% of the fanbase
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, March 20, 2017, 6:53am; Reply: 36
Codfather - go watch Clee!
Posted by: Stadium, March 20, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 37
Another ridiculous overreaction as per any week when town don't win.
Pleased to see the love in is over mind.
Everyone now referring to the boss as Bignot or MB,not this "Marcus" rubbish ;)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 20, 2017, 11:01am; Reply: 38
Maybe it's because we are safe and nothing to play for  which is a great achievement btw or maybe im expecting too much or maybe it's the way IMO Marcus has not really knowing himself what his best way to play  but it's all rather uninspiring and frustrating for me at the minute. .

I see Marcus really has the passion and self belief in him  but their is something missing with him and I can't quite put my finger on it, he has got good intentions and I'm not knocking him here I'm saying I dont think he knows above all what his best eleven after quite a few months in the job.

The formation just does not work long term IMO for us and it frustrates me on a Saturday when we clearly are just not set up right , we either win playing ok or lose badly and get embarrassed and this is another concern for me the inconsistency of the whole team at the minute and the way we just go out and sometimes just give up.

The usual will say I'm having a go but I'm not I'm pointing out my concerns at the present and I think after pre season and early next season will be when we will see if all this talk he likes to do actually pays off.
Posted by: oldun, March 20, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 39
I think MB has been a bit more circumspect and realistic in recent interviews. His post match on Sat was fair enough.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 21, 2017, 8:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Cloudy

Would you say the demand for Bignot to go is in 'full swing'?

Other than a couple of WUM's on here I would suggest the numbers demanding his removal is around 1% of the fanbase

I'm not saying there are 100s wanting him sacked but within in our group of 5 or 6 depending on whether one makes the long journey to BP we are 100% in agreement in that what we are being served with at the moment is pretty crap performances and certainly not the attacking football we have been promised.

Bumped into a chap who had given up on GTFC when we were relegated and had started coming to the games again, can't say which game he was referring to but he said it was one of the worst GTFC games he had seen for years and would not likely be making many further visits to BP.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 21, 2017, 8:35pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not saying there are 100s wanting him sacked but within in our group of 5 or 6 depending on whether one makes the long journey to BP we are 100% in agreement in that what we are being served with at the moment is pretty crap performances and certainly not the attacking football we have been promised.

Bumped into a chap who had given up on GTFC when we were relegated and had started coming to the games again, can't say which game he was referring to but he said it was one of the worst GTFC games he had seen for years and would not likely be making many further visits to BP.

Not really a true supporter then, is he?
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 21, 2017, 8:41pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not really grasped the context of what supporting a football team means, has he?
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 21, 2017, 8:42pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not really a true supporter then, is he?

Erm, did I say he was, I would like to see BP full to the rafters even if that meant some don't make all the games but if you are suggesting those who go to BP every now and then shouldn't be there at all perhaps you could ask the Trust or the directors to insist only fans that make every game should be allowed to buy tickets.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 21, 2017, 8:46pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

[/b]
Not really grasped the context of what supporting a football team means, has he?

See my above comment, I really despair at some fans that seem to suggest that those that don't attend every game are not supporting the club, every time they visit BP whether it is every game or 4 or 5 times a season they are supporting the club by buying a ticket.

Have you complained about the fact that over the past few weeks several hundred are missing from BP.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 21, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, did I say he was, I would like to see BP full to the rafters even if that meant some don't make all the games but if you are suggesting those who go to BP every now and then shouldn't be there at all perhaps you could ask the Trust or the directors to insist only fans that make every game should be allowed to buy tickets.

I know what you're saying but you can't turn your support on and off dependent on how they're playing.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 21, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know what you're saying but you can't turn your support on and off dependent on how they're playing.

I need reality that's us what happens at every club in every league.

If not then Town would have 4000 fans or so at every game and whether we were in the Premiership or North East Counties League the level of support wouldn't change??
Posted by: Cloudy, March 21, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have similar views arry but I don't want him sacked. He has to be given time, I accept that 100%, just not happy with what we have seen so far
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 21, 2017, 9:52pm; Reply: 48
What Cloudy said.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 21, 2017, 10:27pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from arryarryarry

See my above comment, I really despair at some fans that seem to suggest that those that don't attend every game are not supporting the club, every time they visit BP whether it is every game or 4 or 5 times a season they are supporting the club by buying a ticket.

Have you complained about the fact that over the past few weeks several hundred are missing from BP.

But you said he stopped going when we got relegated, so 6 years away i presume? Not really support is it? I have no problem with people picking and choosing when and why they go to games but in this particular instance, i think the others have a point.
Posted by: Mariner_501, March 23, 2017, 9:21am; Reply: 50
Hurst failed 5 years straight and didn't get sacked. To then ask to Bignot after a few months after okay results under difficult circumstances is mental
Posted by: Mariner_501, March 23, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 51
Just realised that barely makes sense. It's true, men certainly can't multi-task
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 23, 2017, 10:15am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Mariner_501
Hurst failed 5 years straight and didn't get sacked. To then ask to Bignot after a few months after okay results under difficult circumstances is mental

Agree, but apart from having to replace Omar which we all pretty much knew was coming why are the circumstances difficult?
Posted by: mariner91, March 23, 2017, 3:59pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree, but apart from having to replace Omar which we all pretty much knew was coming why are the circumstances difficult?

I can certainly see why it could be considered difficult circumstances. As you've mentioned, he's lost Omar who was carrying the team under Hurst. Other than about three or four games we played no better under Hurst than we are now but in Omar we had a player who was winning us matches so to lose that is a big blow and almost impossible to replace mid-season, that will be his biggest test in the summer window.

But he also came in to a team where the fans had been used to winning the majority of games for a number of years and had (despite the team being no better than midtable) just sneaked in to a play off position. Perhaps expectations had been raised too high for our first season back and I think there is a definite number of our fans who had forgotten that you can't just steamroller teams in L2, we're no longer playing clubs who bring seven fans. I don't think MB helped himself with his promise of attacking football and he has made a rod for his own back really because he hasn't delivered on that or even got close at any point.

Furthermore, I also think he was short sighted in the way he went about changing the squad in January. I actually agree that using this season as a time to bed in new players ready for next season is a good idea but leaving yourself a squad with one recognised winger who had only ever played a handful of FL games is just ridiculous. Others have disagreed with me on this before but if he'd kept Chambers he would have at least had the option to change the system in some games when it's been crying out for it. Previously someone has said that there was no point keeping Chambers because he wasn't a "game changer" but how many squad players or even first eleven players at our level are genuine "game changers"? He was a good honest player who put in a shift and a good manager with a tactical brain can use a player like that to change tactics or the balance of a team. The player coming on doesn't have to be a game changer if the change in formation/tactics that his introduction brings works. Equally, if we are getting ready for next season then are we to assume that we won't be playing with any width or attacking wide players? Even if the actual personnel out wide aren't the men you want there, you can get the rest of the team used to the system you want to employ. It's easier to introduce a new player into a system than have to get the rest of the line up changing the way they play. All of this adds up to making me think that MB doesn't really think about tactics in any great detail and instead focuses on the players he wants to bring in then tries to fit the tactics around them.

However, there are causes for optimism. Jones and Osborne look like a couple of good signings. Pearson is a rock and will be here forever if we want him. Danny Andrew, if we can keep him, is as good as any left back at this level. We have some good quality and players with potential so there is room for manoeuvre. MB hasn't had long (although I would argue that four months should be enough time for us to have some idea of how he wants us to play) and deserves more time. The summer will be crucial for him. He needs some good recruitment and to get the team playing with a game plan and cohesion. He needs to hit the ground running because if we start next season like we're playing now, people won't have much patience.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 23, 2017, 9:52pm; Reply: 54
One important thing hasn't been mentioned. That is the surprise factor in many of the transfers. From what I've read the bogle sale happened at the very last moment, even up until a day or two before it looked like he may well stay until the summer. That meant mb had to grab whoever he could to play up front, so dyson comes in at 22.30 on deadline day.it also meant he could unexpectedly sign jones after that had looked dead in the water. Plus he was able to unexpectedly sign yusuf  and gunning who both were only targets for the summer. Therefore his initial plans probably went up in smoke, but for ultimately positive reasons ( plenty of cash to splash and players he wanted coming 6 months earlier than envisaged). Therefore the posters who view the  rest of 16-17 as an extended pre season may well have it spot on
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 23, 2017, 10:33pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from forza ivano
One important thing hasn't been mentioned. That is the surprise factor in many of the transfers. From what I've read the bogle sale happened at the very last moment, even up until a day or two before it looked like he may well stay until the summer. That meant mb had to grab whoever he could to play up front, so dyson comes in at 22.30 on deadline day.it also meant he could unexpectedly sign jones after that had looked dead in the water. Plus he was able to unexpectedly sign yusuf  and gunning who both were only targets for the summer. Therefore his initial plans probably went up in smoke, but for ultimately positive reasons ( plenty of cash to splash and players he wanted coming 6 months earlier than envisaged). Therefore the posters who view the  rest of 16-17 as an extended pre season may well have it spot on

I think there was possibly not as much surprise as you may think with the Omar deal. At the end of this season he would have had a year on his deal so the optimum time to sell would have been the window just gone or the Summer. We did knock back previous offers from Wigan and leaving t really late often means the buyer pays more especially when they are desperate to stay up. To be fair to Marcus I think he brought in Asante and Youssef as cover just in case it happened but surely he cannot be surprised it did..

I think the circumstances that Marcus has faced could have been worse as on the back of some good pre Christmas home gates he had some money in the window and inherited a functional squad that had already begun to establish itself as a mid table outfit during the first 3 months of the season even if a lot of that was on the back of Omar's goals. Some of the "challenges" appear self inflicted with odd selections, too large a squad, gaffs in the media (Macca after Stevenage) and an inexplicable shape and style of play.  

However all that said personally I'll make my judgement in late October/Nov as he deserves a year in the job before anyone can say what his level actually is.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 24, 2017, 7:15am; Reply: 56
Quoted from forza ivano

Never had you down  as the gullible type Forza! ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 24, 2017, 8:24am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Cloudy

Never had you down  as the gullible type Forza! ;)

Interesting fact here.  If you type the word gullible into google it does not recognise it.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 1:52pm