Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: oldun, March 5, 2017, 10:40am
Is there a genuine shortage of left sided, left footed attacking players? I wonder because PH failed to find one and so far MB has not unearthed one, If so maybe one answer for us is to put another left full back in and play Andrew further forward, although he would need to be able to go past people, hit the bye-line and get crosses in, but would give the team better balance. Just a thought.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 5, 2017, 10:56am; Reply: 1
Quoted from oldun
Is there a genuine shortage of left sided, left footed attacking players? I wonder because PH failed to find one and so far MB has not unearthed one, If so maybe one answer for us is to put another left full back in and play Andrew further forward, although he would need to be able to go past people, hit the bye-line and get crosses in, but would give the team better balance. Just a thought.

I would play Tom in front of Danny Andrew and Davis at RB with Mills or a right fitted mid in front of him. I may be wrong but I think Marcus is happy to sacrifice the LHS to free a man up to play in front of the back 4 which overall is working ok but has not given us the consistent balance we need going forward
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 5, 2017, 11:52am; Reply: 2
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I would play Tom in front of Danny Andrew and Davis at RB with Mills or a right fitted mid in front of him. I may be wrong but I think Marcus is happy to sacrifice the LHS to free a man up to play in front of the back 4 which overall is working ok but has not given us the consistent balance we need going forward

After Crewe and Exeter, I'm not sure MB wants Ben Davies anywhere near the starting line-up.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 5, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 3
What about Maxwell ?

He is left footed he could play in front of Andrew and cover him when he goes forward.
Posted by: Pastandpresent, March 5, 2017, 12:07pm; Reply: 4
The Moderm way of playing wingers is opposite to there natural side Redmond @ Southampton , mata @ Man U , courthino @ Liverpool ,
So that they can cut in an play centrally to overload the front line
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 5, 2017, 12:29pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

After Crewe and Exeter, I'm not sure MB wants Ben Davies anywhere near the starting line-up.

It was interesting to hear that Marcus was on about Dan Jones coming back and being important to us, I wonder if he is hatching a Jones and Andrew on the LHS kind of plan? Then Tom on the right with Mills?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 5, 2017, 12:34pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He's decent at right back. He was woefully exposed by being played at wing back and offered no protection.  
Posted by: oldun, March 5, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
What about Maxwell ?

He is left footed he could play in front of Andrew and cover him when he goes forward.

From what I saw yesterday, I doubt he could run from the halfway line the opositions goal line. If he did h would struggle to get back and do it again. He looks like a defensive central midfield to me, but listen, it's early days.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 5, 2017, 1:01pm; Reply: 8
Perhaps we could try Warrington in the number 10 role? ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 5, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Cloudy
Perhaps we could try Warrington in the number 10 role? ;)

Why not?

I'm sure he'd do a much better job than Theresa May. 😉
Posted by: Maringer, March 5, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 10
I reckon Danny Andrew would make a competent enough left-sided midfielder so perhaps bringing Jones in at left-back might be an option? Not exactly ideal, but we've seen plenty of other players out of position so one more wouldn't make a difference!
Posted by: grimreaper, March 5, 2017, 6:26pm; Reply: 11
ASANTE is a left sided player. Left and right footed, a recognised striker.
I understand he has not been getting near the team because they are/were planning well, and MB does not want to unsettle things. Lets see what happens next.
Asante would be the ideal solution, look at his history he scores goals.

FOR GOD SAKE MB give him a game the others ain't doin it for ya
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 5, 2017, 6:54pm; Reply: 12
I'd just like to point out that we haven't had a left winger all season and unless you call Monkhouse a left winger, didn't have one last season either.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 5, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I'd just like to point out that we haven't had a left winger all season and unless you call Monkhouse a left winger, didn't have one last season either.

Don't mention the "M" word you know what effect is has on you :X
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 5, 2017, 7:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Don't mention the "M" word you know what effect is has on you :X

Quite therapeutic actually, he made me feel quite young for my age!  ;)
Posted by: jimgtfc, March 5, 2017, 7:21pm; Reply: 15
Dom Vose left mid. Simple.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 5, 2017, 7:27pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jimgtfc
Dom Vose left mid. Simple.

In a  4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 or 4-4-2?
Posted by: Grantley, March 5, 2017, 7:50pm; Reply: 17
Dom Vose the left midfielder who never really had his best games on the left and who still left Andrew exposed?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 5, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Quite therapeutic actually, he made me feel quite young for my age!  ;)

:)
Posted by: Abdul19, March 5, 2017, 8:39pm; Reply: 19
When did we last have a left winger? Eagle? Makofo?! Mark Smith?!?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 5, 2017, 8:47pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Abdul19

A good one? Dave Gilbert.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 5, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 21
Think all sides struggle left side, simply because there are so few of the population who are naturally left handed.best advice I was given ,which I ignored, was to put a slipper on your right foot and then play keep ball, keep yuppie, wall rebounds etc etc just with your left foot. That's where so many foreign players are so good, being two footed
Posted by: acko338, March 5, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Conor Townsend - by default !!!

Posted by: Posh Harry, March 5, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from forza ivano
Think all sides struggle left side, simply because there are so few of the population who are naturally left handed.best advice I was given ,which I ignored, was to put a slipper on your right foot and then play keep ball, keep yuppie, wall rebounds etc etc just with your left foot. That's where so many foreign players are so good, being two footed

All those years since '66, all those millions spent on theories,academy's, coaching, training facilities and the actual reason that England are shite compared to those Jonny foreigners is bloody slippers.

Who would have thought it. Forza me old mucka, you need to get a job at the top of the FA quick smart.

To be fair you couldn't do any worse than the jokers since '66 😉
Posted by: Mariner_09, March 5, 2017, 9:19pm; Reply: 24
Townsend at left back and Andrew at left wing would certainly cause problems.

The side is short of a left sided player. I thought Browne played there and I really hope he can play a part next year, ditto with McAllister. From what I've seen of both they look very good, despite only in small doces but imagine:

Bolarinwa McAllister Clements Osborne Browne

That midfield has everything, dynamism, footballing ability, bite, physicality and pace.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 5, 2017, 9:52pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mariner_09

The side is short of a left sided player. I thought Browne played there and I really hope he can play a part next year, ditto with McAllister. From what I've seen of both they look very good, despite only in small doces but imagine:

That midfield has everything, dynamism, footballing ability, bite, physicality and pace.

How many first team minutes has Browne played? How can you judge him?
Posted by: Grantley, March 5, 2017, 11:50pm; Reply: 26
Pretty sure Sam Jones has said he's a midfielder. I wouldn't mind trying a 4-1-4-1 with Mills/Jones at LB, Maxwell/Gunning holding and a four of Andrew, Osborne, Jones and Bolarinwa supporting Dyson.

Just a thought.
Posted by: golfer, March 6, 2017, 9:36am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Abdul19

Jimmy Fell, Freddie Jones were good left wingers but in the modern game you don't have left WINGERS they are now  called left sided OPERATIVES :)
Posted by: Mariner_09, March 6, 2017, 9:45am; Reply: 28
Arnold was better of the left than he was the right, shame he didn't stay. Bolarinwa and Arnold would frighten teams in this league. By all accounts Arnold's been tearing up the Conference this season, I reckon his form dipped last year as a result of his mum dying.
Posted by: jimgtfc, March 6, 2017, 4:06pm; Reply: 29
I loved Kingsley Black in the late 90s, not blessed with pace or trickery but had a wand of a left foot.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 6, 2017, 4:47pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Better than good IMHO.............!
Posted by: Posh Harry, March 6, 2017, 6:53pm; Reply: 31
Diddy Dave was always my favourite. Broke my heart when he went to west Brom. With him and Childs on either wing, we would frighten anyone.

UTFM
Posted by: rancido, March 6, 2017, 7:46pm; Reply: 32
Judging by what MB said in the January transfer window, a left winger is one of his targets in the summer. In fact I think he would have tried harder to get one in January if it wasn't for the signing of Gunning and Clements who became available sooner than he expected.
Posted by: monkeyboy, March 7, 2017, 7:25am; Reply: 33
Nick Hegarty? lol
Posted by: wigworld, March 7, 2017, 8:16am; Reply: 34
Quoted from monkeyboy
Nick Hegarty? lol

I'll get your coat...
Posted by: Davec, March 7, 2017, 8:30am; Reply: 35
Jamie Green? ;)
actually he wasn't too bad until he got injured
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 7, 2017, 8:36am; Reply: 36
Quoted from rancido
Judging by what MB said in the January transfer window, a left winger is one of his targets in the summer. In fact I think he would have tried harder to get one in January if it wasn't for the signing of Gunning and Clements who became available sooner than he expected.

Gunning & Clements aren't wingers though? Plus Gunning's only here short term at the moment.
Posted by: rancido, March 7, 2017, 5:31pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Gunning & Clements aren't wingers though? Plus Gunning's only here short term at the moment.

I know they are not wingers but because MB had them as targets for the summer transfer window he grabbed because they were available. He might easily have reasoned that those two were more important additions than a left winger in the January window. Gunning was given a contract until the end of the season but if he was a target for next summer then it's a fair bet that MB will offer him another deal
Posted by: Bigboy, March 9, 2017, 10:27pm; Reply: 38
Brian Hill
Posted by: Meza, March 9, 2017, 10:46pm; Reply: 39
Trying to think of past quality left wingers.....Diddy is one, fordy maybe brolley being another any others.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 9, 2017, 11:00pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Meza
Trying to think of past quality left wingers.....Diddy is one, fordy maybe brolley being another any others.  

I thought Paul Emson looked o.k. for a bit when he first arrived.
Posted by: chaos33, March 10, 2017, 12:04am; Reply: 41
Dave Gilbert was easily the best I've seen in that position in my time following Town.

Kingsley black was decent. Mark 'smudger' Smith, probably not so much... :-/ ;)
Posted by: chaos33, March 10, 2017, 12:06am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mariner_09

You really are something!
Posted by: Meza, March 10, 2017, 12:15am; Reply: 43
Ah forgot about Smithy and Kingsley.  Was Dave Smith RW?
Posted by: Maringer, March 10, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Meza

Didn't Ford play on the right? I was a bit too young at the time to remember much about his first spell with us, but I thought he played on the right when Buckley re-signed him?
Posted by: Abdul19, March 10, 2017, 11:08am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Meza
Ah forgot about Smithy and Kingsley.  Was Dave Smith RW?

Ah yeah, Dave Smith was a LW too. I remember his debut strike from 13 miles ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 10, 2017, 11:26am; Reply: 46
Jimmy Fell

Brian Hill

Freddie   Jones
Posted by: Garth, March 10, 2017, 12:17pm; Reply: 47
Fell was in big demand when he went to Luton
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 4:47am