Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: thevera, February 26, 2017, 2:04pm
After Mariner Rob's post on having a break I wondered which Season Ticket holder lives furthest from BP? It's certainly not me as I live in Cleethorpes but can you beat Rob in Surrey or have you ever lived further away, or know of anyone, and held a Season Ticket?
Edit:
I am sure there will be someone who bought a ticket and then got posted to Australia with work or similar. So what I should ask is at the time you bought your ticket did you live further away than Surrey?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 26, 2017, 2:54pm; Reply: 1
when we are at BP 154 miles there and 154 miles back.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 26, 2017, 4:47pm; Reply: 2
25 minute walk. 20 if i get a shift on.
Posted by: thevera, February 26, 2017, 4:56pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from HertsGTFC
when we are at BP 154 miles there and 154 miles back.

Great effort Herts and indeed to the guys who go to all or most of the away games from Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Posted by: LH, February 26, 2017, 5:00pm; Reply: 4
Used to do 180 each way from Oxfordshire. Most I've done in one day was 90ish from Norfolk and ended up taking a 20 mile diversion on the way back.

Now a short drive from Scartho Top.
Posted by: DNMariner, February 26, 2017, 5:14pm; Reply: 5
An arduous trek of 150 yards for me.
Posted by: Grantley, February 26, 2017, 5:19pm; Reply: 6
70 miles each way.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 26, 2017, 5:28pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from DNMariner
An arduous trek of 150 yards for me.

An even more arduous short bus ride for me.

I wonder which season ticket holder has the shortest journey ?

Posted by: Fat Cobra, February 26, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 8
4 miles there 6 light years back, so it seems sometimes.
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 26, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 9
72 miles by road, about 60 as the crow flies
Posted by: Hagrid, February 26, 2017, 6:26pm; Reply: 10
5 mile
Posted by: mariner tommy, February 26, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 11
3 miles for me, but only a mile and a half if we go to the Parkway

UTM
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 26, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 12
I did travel from Plymouth once (whilst serving in the Navy) to see Town at Blundell park and travelled back the very same day, I took 3 Notts forest fans with me.
Posted by: chaos33, February 26, 2017, 7:24pm; Reply: 13
Hope you didn't refer to them as Notts Forest then Chris. They hate it. It's Nottingham Forest. Notts County.

Approx 80 miles each way for me for a home game.
Posted by: Grimal, February 26, 2017, 7:33pm; Reply: 14
2.5 miles  just a short drive.  and   1.3 miles to new stadium. (thumbup1)
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 26, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 15
63 miles each way. (As the Gull flies)
Posted by: williamorbit, February 26, 2017, 8:02pm; Reply: 16
I'm in Reading but don't get to every game now, and never mid week games. I stay with my family for the weekend so it's not a day trip when I do get back.

I was also in the situation mentioned in the original post where I had a season ticket for the 09/10 season and then got assigned to Australia for the second half of the season. I came back for the last home game of the season when we beat Barnet, only to be relegated at Burton in the next game.
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 8:08pm; Reply: 17
Quoted Text
I came back for the last home game of the season when we beat Barnet,

That was my birthday and the day my son and partner told my wife and I that they were expecting our first grandchild. Was VERY happy on two fronts.
Posted by: TAGG, February 26, 2017, 8:16pm; Reply: 18
0.3 miles
6 min from sofa to seat in BP
(It does take a bit longer with the stop at the Cons Club)
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 26, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 19
I flew back from Norway purely to watch us play Liverpool in the cup.

Unfortunately it was the one where some young upstart called Michael Owen scored his first ever hat-trick in a competitive match !!!!!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 26, 2017, 8:31pm; Reply: 20
± 55 miles for me
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 8:33pm; Reply: 21
Quoted Text
Unfortunately it was the one where some young upstart called Michael Owen scored his first ever hat-trick in a competitive match !!!!!

Men against boys that day. Still an experience. But we paid them back in 2001 in the Worthington Cup after equalising and then 'that' Phil Jevons winner.
Posted by: Alkalineroger, February 26, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 22
104 each way for me, live down towards March at the minute. Annoyingly it's almost quicker to do about 130 mile s each way and drive via the A1 and cut across Lincoln as it is to trawl the most direct route..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 26, 2017, 9:55pm; Reply: 23
According to Googlemaps, it's 12.8 miles if I go through Tetney and down North Sea Lane or 14.4 miles if I go to the A16.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 26, 2017, 10:14pm; Reply: 24
Far enough to be the only GTFC anyone I meet has ever heard of!
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2017, 10:19pm; Reply: 25
A 110 mile round trip.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 26, 2017, 10:39pm; Reply: 26
Some very dedicated fans here, well done to all
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 26, 2017, 11:53pm; Reply: 27
2.5 miles away, same distance if the stadium is built at Peaks Parkway.
Posted by: mariner83, February 27, 2017, 7:55am; Reply: 28
24 miles, nothing compared to some distances being mentioned!
Posted by: highcliff mariner, February 27, 2017, 8:08am; Reply: 29
0.5 miles , listen ,can see the BP from my place .
Utm
Posted by: Davec, February 27, 2017, 1:20pm; Reply: 30
3 miles from Blundell Park
2.3 from the crematorium, which would obviously be around the same to the new stadium if it happens
Posted by: devon mariner, February 27, 2017, 3:34pm; Reply: 31
646 round trip for me from Torquay. This is why I am NOT a ST holder.  Get back for a few games each year and have to walk the massive distance from Brereton Avenue.
Posted by: Squarkus, February 28, 2017, 7:55am; Reply: 32
44 mils round trip for me, we have some fantastc dedicated fans dont we, UTM
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, February 28, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 33
50-mile round trip for me, give or take a mile or so, despite Saturday I'm looking forward to the trip tonight and on Sat!
Posted by: oochiad, February 28, 2017, 9:28am; Reply: 34
85 miles each way for me. I'll be there tonight for 3 points!! UTM
Posted by: Grumps, February 28, 2017, 10:30am; Reply: 35
Just 9 miles each way so close to home
Posted by: Paris Mariner, February 28, 2017, 12:52pm; Reply: 36
I currently live in Bilbao which is, according to google maps, 1600km - so 1000 miles - by car from GY. I usually fly home to visit and get a game in but I tend to go to away games, when I can near London or Manchester where there are clubs nearby.

In the past I have flown back from France and got the ferry/flown back from Dublin for matches too. I bought a flight for Torquay at home back in the 09/10 season and my flight was grounded because of the Icelandic volcano which erupted. In 2007/8 I flew back for Morecambe at home in the JPT semi-final and when I came out of arrivals at Stansted my mum (who had come to pick me up) told me the match had been called off.

I got the ferry to Wrexham away (when it was their 150th anniversary) from Dublin when I lived there and met a Town fan who had flown in that day from Copenhagen. I also got the ferry to Chester away the same year. Going to a match by ferry is definitely my favourite way to travel to a game.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 28, 2017, 1:58pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I currently live in Bilbao which is, according to google maps, 1600km - so 1000 miles - by car from GY. I usually fly home to visit and get a game in but I tend to go to away games, when I can near London or Manchester where there are clubs nearby.

In the past I have flown back from France and got the ferry/flown back from Dublin for matches too. I bought a flight for Torquay at home back in the 09/10 season and my flight was grounded because of the Icelandic volcano which erupted. In 2007/8 I flew back for Morecambe at home in the JPT semi-final and when I came out of arrivals at Stansted my mum (who had come to pick me up) told me the match had been called off.

I got the ferry to Wrexham away (when it was their 150th anniversary) from Dublin when I lived there and met a Town fan who had flown in that day from Copenhagen. I also got the ferry to Chester away the same year. Going to a match by ferry is definitely my favourite way to travel to a game.

I didn't know Wrexham had a ferry port.  ;D
Posted by: gary_elton, March 1, 2017, 4:07pm; Reply: 38
220 mile round trip for me... sadly due to working weekends it's a rarity now... and I take in more away games than home... I did once fly home from Germany to see Liverpool put 5 past us at Anfield....  UTM
Posted by: Hertsmariner, March 1, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 39
310 miles round trip by car; parking at the Kingsway hotel or on Hardy Road if driving up and back on the same day (so add another 2 miles or so for round-trip walking to BP) . However, I'm increasingly doing the round trip on the train on a Saturday as it's less exhausting! Unlike HertsGTFC, however, I don't attend more than about 10 home games/season but buy my ST just to support the club. I stayed in Cleethorpes last night but don't think I'll be coming up for the Wycombe game-after careful thought!.
Posted by: oochiad, March 1, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 40
Did my 170 miles, we got the 3 points. Same again on Saturday but with a little more flair please! UTM
Posted by: Grimal, March 1, 2017, 6:35pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Paris,have you got booked on the Pride of Bilbao for the Tuesday night match in a couple of weeks time ? No excuses, door to door  ;).
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 3:38pm