Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 11:00am
After yesterday's uninspired performance and LOSS I've decided I will take a break from watching Town play. (for a while at least) And this will be music to some people's ears as I have become a bit of a Jonah. Because in the 19 games I've seen this season Town has lost 13, there were two draws and only 4 wins. In those 19 games I only saw two good wins and that was at home to Stevenage and away at Plymouth. Rubbish games about 10 leaving just 7 as adequate.

To follow Town at home I've spent 14 hours on a Saturday and when you get these uninspiring or rubbish performances it makes the 6 hour trip home horrible. I followed Town down to Plymouth, Exeter, Bolton, Crewe and Morecambe so the miles I've travelled runs into many 1000's. I'm sure that if I lived in Cleethorpes then 3 hours out of the day would make it a little easier but 14 hours!! is getting too much.

I will still follow Town, as I have since the days of Charlie Wright as a school kid, I will still listen on the radio and - most likely - will be back later in the season. My actions won't cost Town anything as I bought a season ticket this season so I can support Town a little financially. At the away games Town don't get anything anyway.

I can see Town have some exciting and skilful players and I still believe that Marcus will come good. He needs to find his feet in this division and to find the best system for HIS players. This will take time. And by taking a break I will miss some of the better performances, such as Luton and Mansfield so I believe. Hopefully the players will gell sooner rather than later and Town will progress. I think it would harm Town if we did get promoted this season and we could plummet back down very quickly. To build in the remaining games this year a team would give us a great opportunity for next year. And I do remember where we have been for the past 6 years. I very happy to be called a Football League club again. UTM

ps.
These are the games I've been to:-
Morcambe 2-0 W
Wycombe 1-2 L
Leyton Orient 1-2 L
Stevenage 5-2 W
Crewe 0-2 L
Hartlepool 0-3 L
Exeter City 0-0 D
Cheltenham 0-1 L
Bolton 0-1 L
Barnet 2-2 D
Plymouth 3-0 W
Crawley 2-3 L
Portsmouth 0-1 L
Doncaster 0-1 L
Exeter City 0-3 L
Notts County 2-0 W
Stevenage 0-2 L
Crewe 0-5 L
Morcambe 0-1 L

4 wins, 2 draws, 13 lost
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 26, 2017, 11:06am; Reply: 1
I will go and support town whenever were excrement or good. It makes the good times better in my opinion.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 26, 2017, 11:10am; Reply: 2
Thats not me having a dig or anything marinerRob.
Posted by: Grantley, February 26, 2017, 11:12am; Reply: 3
See you then.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 26, 2017, 11:14am; Reply: 4
Fair enough, I'm not looking forward to games much so I understand where you're coming from.
Posted by: LH, February 26, 2017, 11:16am; Reply: 5
I've missed very few home games since 2004 and can't remember a period in that time when I've been entertained and gone home happy after every game. That's lower league football.

Completely different travelling 3 miles to BP than the distance you do though I suppose. In the season we recorded our best ever away record I went to 7/8 away games and only saw us win once so I sort of see where you're coming from.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 26, 2017, 11:17am; Reply: 6
See u next Saturday then when you've got ova it mate !
Posted by: Garth, February 26, 2017, 11:29am; Reply: 7
Sort of see where he's coming from, can't do it myself and I'm looking fwd to Tuesday, but matches have got tedious lately must be a confidence thing.
Posted by: topuphere666, February 26, 2017, 12:10pm; Reply: 8
It's definitely a love hate relationship at the moment. Monday comes and the anticipation and excitement is there for Saturday 3pm. As the week goes on the excitement builds only to be left feeling quite deflated -more often than not recently - come 5pm.

I love watching Town and get to as many games as I can but it is soul destroying travelling a 100 mile round trip and spending around £50 to watch us get out battled and show a massive lack of desire.

We almost need this season to finish sooner rather than later and give MB the chance to get a good pre season with the squad. I don't expect wholesale changes this summer and will be surprised if there are. This should set us up for next year - if MB can motivate the players more than he can at the moment. I've seen more excitement in a care home when the bingo trolley is rolled out!
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 26, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 9
Even when we lost 3-0 to burton last game of the season that time, it never crossed my mind to quit seeing my team play. Though the fun of the game was a little beaten (as I mentioned in the "who I'd rather get relegated" thread) when we went to Cheltenham away last season, I remember saying to my dad that there was no point in going that day on the way home as there wasn't much of a game of football that night, and I think that most people who went to that game would probably agree with me. In the next few days I was over it. Still turn up home and away week in week out. UTM!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 26, 2017, 12:47pm; Reply: 10
I say nearly every week I go "I'm not going again" but I'm there the following Saturday cheering the team on  ;D
Posted by: Jaws, February 26, 2017, 12:55pm; Reply: 11
Can you please start following Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe in the mean-time.
Posted by: wigworld, February 26, 2017, 1:02pm; Reply: 12
I can understand where you're at, MarinerRob. My dad stopped watching Town in the '80's when Mick Lyons (or the board, depending who you believe) destroyed the team. He hasn't been to a game since.  :'(

Hope we'll see you back soon.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 26, 2017, 1:19pm; Reply: 13
Our last six defeats have all been to nil - and we've failed to score on 15 occasions this season (compared to our 13 clean sheets).

Defeats by their very nature are difficult to take, but in the majority of them - like Crewe (home and away), Exeter at home, Morecambe away, Stevenage away etc - there's been very little fight.

Then on the other hand we can go to places like Plymouth and Carlisle and win rather well. And last weekend's result was pretty good too.

We're a difficult team to support at the moment because you don't know whether you're going to get a good, all-round performance with goals and three points, or something completely and utterly dire like yesterday.

Sadly, at the moment we're seeing pretty poor performances. Even when we've picked up points, like at Newport, at home to Blackpool or even away at Hartlepool, we've not been convincing.

As someone who also thinks he may be a jinx (eight games this season, six defeats) I can totally understand why you would want to take a break and save money, but like so many others I'm drawn in like a moth to a flame and I'm already planning to come back for the Wycombe game next Sat!
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 1:33pm; Reply: 14
Quoted Text
Can you please start following Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe in the mean-time.
NEVER.

I will never stop supporting Town. I've followed them to hell and back and have no intention of changing.

I don't think I realised how much it would take to spend 12 hours on a train each Saturday. And the £100 each match day doesn't help.

Until this season, because I live in Surrey, only saw Town at away games within about 80 miles or so. I'm sure a little break will do me good and make me feel I can't stay away. Probably sooner than later.
Posted by: TAGG, February 26, 2017, 1:55pm; Reply: 15
I see where your coming from especially with all the miles you travel(big respect)

I have once stopped watching Town and I only live around the corner from BP
I couldn't stand Mike Newalls football & the man anymore so missed his last 10 games in charge and this makes me dislike the bloke even more..

See ye back soon.. we all come back in the end UTM 😊
Posted by: thevera, February 26, 2017, 1:56pm; Reply: 16
I think you're fully justified in taking a breather Rob, you have certainly invested a fair amount of time into following Town this year and I have no doubt in many previous seasons also. Enjoy your break and hope to see you back at (the) BP very soon with renewed optimism.
As an aside I am very impressed by your loyalty in buying a season ticket living so far away and it got me thinking who is the Season ticket holder that lives the furthest away from BP? Any advance on Surrey?
Posted by: Cloudy, February 26, 2017, 2:45pm; Reply: 17
I can totally understand the stance of Rob, I too are feeling very low about the no shows away from home especially.

I will continue to go to home games, I live locally and am a season ticket holder but I have always enjoyed away days, going to at least 75% of games away from BP, but for now at least I will save my money and stay at home.

This doesn't impact financially on Town but I am just so drunk off about regular no shows away from BP. ( yes I am aware I could well be missing th end to Plymouth or Carlisle)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 26, 2017, 3:17pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Grantley
See you then.

A well thought out knowledgeable comment.

Posted by: Grantley, February 26, 2017, 3:37pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from jonnyboy82

A well thought out knowledgeable comment.

Thanks!
Posted by: Skrill, February 26, 2017, 3:42pm; Reply: 20
For me, I have university commitments so that makes it quite hard to get to some games. Although, living in Derby can be a blessing (good train connections and so forth) makes moving around the country easy (but expensive). Will be going to more home and away games once uni is over.
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, February 26, 2017, 3:55pm; Reply: 21
Total respect Mariner Rob.  You are obviously a great Town fan, and the distance you travel is huge.  We have been pants lately as well.  Keep the faith.

UTM
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, February 26, 2017, 3:55pm; Reply: 22
Total respect Mariner Rob.  You are obviously a great Town fan, and the distance you travel is huge.  We have been pants lately as well.  Keep the faith.

UTM
Posted by: Jaws, February 26, 2017, 4:00pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MarinerRob
NEVER.

I will never stop supporting Town. I've followed them to hell and back and have no intention of changing.

I don't think I realised how much it would take to spend 12 hours on a train each Saturday. And the £100 each match day doesn't help.

Until this season, because I live in Surrey, only saw Town at away games within about 80 miles or so. I'm sure a little break will do me good and make me feel I can't stay away. Probably sooner than later.

I meant this so they have some of the bad form caused by your attendance  :P
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, February 26, 2017, 4:06pm; Reply: 24
Rob, I know how far you travel to see Town and you've proved to be a real trooper for many years...and I do understand where you're coming from.

During the last few years I've always felt it was an exciting prospect going to see Town away from home as we usually had a game plan and often surprised teams by taking all 3 points. Unfortunately, this so-called 'transition' that's been introduced during the last few months has seen that surprise quality completely destroyed - as evidenced by the chaotic, shambolic and tactically inept non-performances we're now seeing away from home.

I'm like you Rob in that I fervently hope that Marcus's ideas (whatever they may be, god help us) will start to bear fruit before this season is frittered away into uselessness, and we can all start enjoying away trips once more.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 26, 2017, 4:27pm; Reply: 25
We have all felt this way I suspect but after suffering years in the abyss and seeing/hearing our fantastic fan base at some of these tinpot out posts, in your heart you know you can never quit for good.Like my other  hobby fishing sometimes I need a break but you just come back stronger.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 26, 2017, 4:52pm; Reply: 26
Stay away for a few games Rob and if we start winning keep staying away  ;)

If we keep losing come back mate because you will know its not your fault. we are crap  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, February 26, 2017, 4:59pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from MarinerRob
After yesterday's uninspired performance and LOSS I've decided I will take a break from watching Town play. (for a while at least) And this will be music to some people's ears as I have become a bit of a Jonah. Because in the 19 games I've seen this season Town has lost 13, there were two draws and only 4 wins. In those 19 games I only saw two good wins and that was at home to Stevenage and away at Plymouth. Rubbish games about 10 leaving just 7 as adequate.

To follow Town at home I've spent 14 hours on a Saturday and when you get these uninspiring or rubbish performances it makes the 6 hour trip home horrible. I followed Town down to Plymouth, Exeter, Bolton, Crewe and Morecambe so the miles I've travelled runs into many 1000's. I'm sure that if I lived in Cleethorpes then 3 hours out of the day would make it a little easier but 14 hours!! is getting too much.

I will still follow Town, as I have since the days of Charlie Wright as a school kid, I will still listen on the radio and - most likely - will be back later in the season. My actions won't cost Town anything as I bought a season ticket this season so I can support Town a little financially. At the away games Town don't get anything anyway.

I can see Town have some exciting and skilful players and I still believe that Marcus will come good. He needs to find his feet in this division and to find the best system for HIS players. This will take time. And by taking a break I will miss some of the better performances, such as Luton and Mansfield so I believe. Hopefully the players will gell sooner rather than later and Town will progress. I think it would harm Town if we did get promoted this season and we could plummet back down very quickly. To build in the remaining games this year a team would give us a great opportunity for next year. And I do remember where we have been for the past 6 years. I very happy to be called a Football League club again. UTM

ps.
These are the games I've been to:-
Morcambe 2-0 W
Wycombe 1-2 L
Leyton Orient 1-2 L
Stevenage 5-2 W
Crewe 0-2 L
Hartlepool 0-3 L
Exeter City 0-0 D
Cheltenham 0-1 L
Bolton 0-1 L
Barnet 2-2 D
Plymouth 3-0 W
Crawley 2-3 L
Portsmouth 0-1 L
Doncaster 0-1 L
Exeter City 0-3 L
Notts County 2-0 W
Stevenage 0-2 L
Crewe 0-5 L
Morcambe 0-1 L

4 wins, 2 draws, 13 lost

That record is worse than Neil Woods'ssss !!!!
I cant blame you, the majority of the home games are dreary and disappointing....never mind your 6/7 hour journey ....the move to Peakes Parkway might prove to far for me unless something drastic happens to the home performances.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 26, 2017, 5:27pm; Reply: 28
For the person who made this thread, you my friend is a glory hunter, if you can't support us when we lose then don't support us when we are winning, stay away and support your premier league teams
Posted by: jaygy, February 26, 2017, 5:50pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from OllieGTFC
For the person who made this thread, you my friend is a glory hunter, if you can't support us when we lose then don't support us when we are winning, stay away and support your premier league teams

I don't know whether you are being serious or not?
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 6:03pm; Reply: 30
Quoted Text

I seriously hope your comment is a micky take. In all my life there has only been one team and that is Town. And to associate Town with glory seems a very strange comment.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 26, 2017, 6:22pm; Reply: 31
Take it with a pinch of salt Rob. Poop happens, and that's what football such a wonderful game (although I'm probably not tempted south of the border again after Morecambe) because to experience the highs you have to have experienced the lows - and as a club we've certainly had our share of that since 1947-8 when we last played in the old First Division.

Think about it.....six seasons in the Conference / National League, with much lesser opponents and we built a really solid base to work on, season after season. We were a big fish in a relatively small pond, and eventually it showed. We could have lost the Play Off Final, and FGR could have taken our place in the Football League. We could have had another great season in non league football, maybe even out performing Lincoln. Would I swap it? Would I sh1t as like. Non league is what it is, and we are back in the Football League.

Even Fergie needed time at MUFC and was facing the possible sack if results didn't go right in his second season. Give the club a chance. You'll miss your games, even if Town continue to play cack, but as I mentioned in a thread on Blackpool and their fans, it's the fans who own the club. It's very much like Xmas in that respect, a football club is for life, not just Xmas. Have a good swally, reminisce about the good times at the club, and see the project as being half full rather than half empty as the cliche goes.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 26, 2017, 6:31pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from MarinerRob

I seriously hope your comment is a micky take. In all my life there has only been one team and that is Town. And to associate Town with glory seems a very strange comment.

It's a blatantly poor attempt at trolling rob. There are some sad fcukers out there.

The time, effort and money you have spent on GTFC is to be commended. I hope that MB's plans do work out, but most of the time at the moment it's not too good to watch. There are locals struggling to motivate themselves at the minute, never mind the distance travelers like yourself.

Let's hope that things come together soon and you can jump back on the glory hunting bandwagon 😉

UTM
Posted by: Grimal, February 26, 2017, 6:48pm; Reply: 33
I will miss our post match analysis chats on the way to the station Robin, hope to see you again when things improve playing wise,lets all hope it's very soon.Take care mate.
Posted by: oochiad, February 26, 2017, 6:53pm; Reply: 34
I will be there Tuesday night, travel 85 miles as I live in North Yorkshire. It's what I have to do UTM
Posted by: golfer, February 26, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TheCodfather1966

UTM

I wouldn't - couldn't travel that far and I wouldn't - couldn't afford to pay the train fares that you have been paying. Hope to hear from you again and in my opinion you are a true Town fan--thanks for your support
Posted by: Grimal, February 26, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from OllieGTFC

I wouldn't imagine Robin is a friend of yours and he would never want to be, especially with a childish reply like yours and for your information he doesn't support a premiershite team even though he has an abundance of choice much nearer to home.Would you fork out about £150 for a day out to watch some of the dross we've been dished up ? .He leaves home at 6.30 am and not home until approx 11pm . I think he's been more than a loyal supporter of GTFC.   Give your head a wobble Ollie.

Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 7:30pm; Reply: 37
I dare say that in the not too distance future I will be back at Blundell Park. Although not for a few weeks at least as I will be going to Dubai in a couple of weeks for my other passion - riding roller coasters. Five days of riding up and down.

My wife seriously thinks my head has been given more than a wobble. Supporting Town and riding roller coasters is a true up and down activity. Mind you it does gives her friends a laugh.
Posted by: golfer, February 26, 2017, 7:38pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from MarinerRob
I dare say that in the not too distance future I will be back at Blundell Park. Although not for a few weeks at least as I will be going to Dubai in a couple of weeks for my other passion - riding roller coasters. Five days of riding up and down.

My wife seriously thinks my head has been given more than a wobble. Supporting Town and riding roller coasters is a true up and down activity. Mind you it does gives her friends a laugh.

This is not a begging letter, but  "Will you take me with you "   :)
Posted by: Grimal, February 26, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from MarinerRob

Does my driving give you the same excitement when I give you a lift to the station ? If not I could always let some air out the tyres.  ;D

Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 7:44pm; Reply: 40
Quoted Text
This is not a begging letter, but  "Will you take me with you "

Sorry case packed - no space. Not to rub it in too much when Town play Crawley at home I should be at [url]https://ferrariworldabudhabi.com/[/url] Ferrari World for the world's fastest coaster out into the desert. Feel free to feel sorry for me. hee hee
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 26, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Behave, try doing what he does every week then you will understand why at times some people get p1ssed off.

Rob - Enjoy your break I sense you will be back soon enough.

I had a mid season break once after that Sunday stuffing away at Oldham even though it was free game, I came back well before the end of the season though. That was not so much about the Oldham debacle or the fact we where struggling but more about one of JFs mates (the lad who I have seen driving his car) sat in the stand berating the players and I got to thinking your not paying for your fcukin ticket (assumption) so why should I?

Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 26, 2017, 8:11pm; Reply: 42
Absolute bllx! This time last year you'd have taken it. A dog is for life not just xmas.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 26, 2017, 8:22pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Absolute bllx! This time last year you'd have taken it. A dog is for life not just xmas.

But you wouldn't travel hundreds of miles each week, spending thousands of pounds throughout  the year, to go and feed a dog that bit you and then p1ssed up your leg would you. ?????
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 26, 2017, 8:29pm; Reply: 44
Quoted Text
But you wouldn't travel hundreds of miles each week, spending thousands of pounds throughout  the year, to go and feed a dog that bit you and then p1ssed up your leg would you. ?????

Nicely put, thanks.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 26, 2017, 8:31pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Civvy at last

You've excelled yourself there Civvy :) :) :)
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 26, 2017, 9:04pm; Reply: 46

FFS GET A GRIP WE ARE BACK IN THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE NO ONE SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE EASY THERE WILL BE UPS AND DOWN ITS A MASSIVE LEARNING CURVE BUT I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS GOOD RESULT ORBAD RESULT THE STANDARD OF FOOTBALL IS SO MUCH BETTER IFYOU WANT TO SEE YOUR TEAM WIN MORE THAN THEY LOSE THEN PERHAPS YOU ARE WATCHING THE WRONG TEAM ( sorry about the rant but the first few posts got to me ) Grimsby till I die regardless of the result
Posted by: GrimRob, February 26, 2017, 9:22pm; Reply: 47
PH was right. All those play-offs and we were spoilt with lots of meaningful games and exciting finishes to the season, desperately hoping for the right combination of results in other fixtures. The season all but over in February is not something we're used to.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 26, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from GrimRob
PH was right. All those play-offs and we were spoilt with lots of meaningful games and exciting finishes to the season, desperately hoping for the right combination of results in other fixtures. The season all but over in February is not something we're used to.

Players under performing, looking bewildered as to where on the pitch they should be and losing the vast majority of second and fifty fifty balls is not something we are used to either.  I know it's not every game but it's more than it should be.  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 26, 2017, 10:02pm; Reply: 49
Surely the fickle fans don't already need to be reminded what non-league was.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 26, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimRob

This has hit the nail squarely on the head for me.

Supporting a football club is mostly seasons of nothingness and mid table mediocrity. Some years you are good and get to be one of the teams that go up and some years you are bad and get to be one of the teams that go down, but mostly for the other 18 teams that do neither, it's just jostling for position in mid table.

In that mid table battle, some weeks you are good and win the 50/50's and second balls, get the goals and win the game. Other weeks you are not so good and lose those battles and probably the game. Throw in some draws when neither team prevail and that's mid table seasons for you. When we win, the players are fit and strong and want it, the manager got the tactics right etc etc. When we lose, the players are lazy and disinterested, not fit and the manager is clueless. When you are mid table, there is a good chance that the other team, who also have instructions and want to win the battles, come out on top and get to be smiling like Cheshire cats for a week. Unless you accept that football is mostly like this, then you are going to be spending a lot of time p1ssed off and angry. In my 45 years watching Town, i've seen promotions and i've seen relegations but mostly i have seen middling teams battling it out in mid table with a few near misses along the way at either end of the table. Last season had a very good ending, this one probably won't and you either accept that and wait for another good season, or you don't and go do something else.
Posted by: Grantley, February 26, 2017, 10:13pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from ginnywings

Supporting a football club is mostly seasons of nothingness and mid table mediocrity. Some years you are good and get to be one of the teams that go up and some years you are bad and get to be one of the teams that go down, but mostly for the other 18 teams that do neither, it's just jostling for position in mid table.

In that mid table battle, some weeks you are good and win the 50/50's and second balls, get the goals and win the game. Other weeks you are not so good and lose those battles and probably the game. Throw in some draws when neither team prevail and that's mid table seasons for you. When we win, the players are fit and strong and want it, the manager got the tactics right etc etc. When we lose, the players are lazy and disinterested, not fit and the manager is clueless. When you are mid table, there is a good chance that the other team, who also have instructions and want to win the battles, come out on top and get to be smiling like Cheshire cats for a week. Unless you accept that football is mostly like this, then you are going to be spending a lot of time p1ssed off and angry. In my 45 years watching Town, i've seen promotions and i've seen relegations but mostly i have seen middling teams battling it out in mid table with a few near misses along the way at either end of the table. Last season had a very good ending, this one probably won't and you either accept that and wait for another good season, or you don't and go do something else.

Top, top post.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 26, 2017, 10:58pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from ginnywings

I can accept that and have accepted it since 1977/8 and actually over the years I have come away from slightly more Town games happy than disappointed.

What I feel at the moment is that yes Marcus Bignot needs time to make us a side that can deliver success, "the one who's name I am not allowed to mention"  would have needed time and so would any other manager of this club after 6 seasons in tin pot where despite us thinking "we are a massive club" not only have we struggled to sign half decent non league players but also had minimal investment in the infrastructure. This resulted in it taking too long to get up and some poor football.

Like I have said before I reckon we can judge what Marcus can deliver once he has spent some more of the Omar money he has been/will be allocated, money which he is fortunate to have as in relative terms no GTFC manager for a long while has had such funds to draw on. He then will need time to gel whoever he brings in with existing players, to me late November 2017 should tell us this. If we have stability (mid table?) then fine if we face a relegation battle back to tin pot then the board will need to take a view. Personally I think from what I have seen so far we will be "mid table" for a good while yet.

On a personal note what I sensed early on when Marcus was appointed was a manager who saw the sound byte part of the job as a much bigger thing than what it actually is as he went on a "charm offensive" which was potentially a good call as "the one who's name I am not allowed to mention" never really did. I was wary that he was telling some "supporters" what they wanted to hear, maybe, maybe not time will tell on that one I reckon.  

However the charm offensive has just become plain offensive as it has not been backed up with the performance level that Marcus intimated he could deliver and he is in danger of falling into the trap of blowing smoke up the backsides of the "supporters" to mask unacceptable performances which actually I find a bit patronising after watching some of the football served up. Amongst other things he uses his pre match press stuff as a vehicle to engage supporters and it's becoming at times pretty engaging but his post defeat interviews have been embarrassing, that worries me as regardless of what people say the players get a sniff of that inconsistent behaviour and can find it destabilising.  

In summary I am still a "supporter" of both Marcus and the team so when we have done well I will praise them but when they do badly please again as a fee paying supporter I will come out and say what I feel. So back to the OP some people express their frustartions on message boards and in the pub and some vote with their feet, that's their right we should respect it..  
Posted by: golfer, February 27, 2017, 8:12am; Reply: 53
I am a supporter of Marcus but I don't quite understand what his intentions are --some of the time.  When he gave his speeches he gave me the impression that we were going to see all out attacking football and either win or lose matches 5-4 instead of the defensive regime of Mr. Hurst. I will still give you more time - but please get the attacks going forward- try somebody who can hold the ball and slow the game down instead of all this tear arsing about. If you are going to copy somebody make it Arsenal instead of Hartlepools
Posted by: sam gy, February 27, 2017, 10:07am; Reply: 54
Our attendances from when we were a top end of the table conference side, were not that much different to when we were a mid table Championship side.

Can't say i'm surprised after reading this thread!
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, February 27, 2017, 12:11pm; Reply: 55
In reference to the post regarding MB playing "his system" , could anyone obviously more clued up than me tell me if any other team plays this way- but successfully? It would seem to me to pretty obvious that to emulate those teams riding higher than us ,we should also adopt a similar style of play as the system we use now is not bringing success at all and would appear to be alien to the players.
Posted by: Cloudy, February 27, 2017, 12:37pm; Reply: 56
In reference to the post regarding MB playing "his system" , could anyone obviously more clued up than me tell me if any other team plays this way- but successfully? It would seem to me to pretty obvious that to emulate those teams riding higher than us ,we should also adopt a similar style of play as the system we use now is not bringing success at all and would appear to be alien to the players.

It would be good if anyone could identify what system we are trying to play first before we start to try and copy others! ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 27, 2017, 1:34pm; Reply: 57
What would people gripe about if we did change the system to a good old 4-4-2 and still stayed as inconsistent as we are now? Fans always think the answer to everything is change. Change the system, change the players, change the manager, just change something. It's got to be the answer hasn't it?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 27, 2017, 1:48pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from ginnywings
What would people gripe about if we did change the system to a good old 4-4-2 and still stayed as inconsistent as we are now? Fans always think the answer to everything is change. Change the system, change the players, change the manager, just change something. It's got to be the answer hasn't it?

I'm not that bothered about shape & systems but want to see us getting more balls into the box and players in there to convert them into chances. We cant do both or either. Seems to me that's what's missing at the moment, bit simplistic I know but we are just not giving opposition keepers difficult days.

Posted by: Eastendmariner, February 27, 2017, 2:35pm; Reply: 59
Keep the Faith Mariner Rob Been a loyal Town fan for 46 years  and traveled from the London area for  37 of those and still going  even the bright lights of Chelsea  The bottom. Or Spurs  could  not change my  Loyalty  when you live far away  it's easy to give up .I know you'll be back your loyalty iS on the back burner I understand  your frustration just make sure you don't get used to not going UTM ;D

Posted by: ginnywings, February 27, 2017, 2:53pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm not that bothered about shape & systems but want to see us getting more balls into the box and players in there to convert them into chances. We cant do both or either. Seems to me that's what's missing at the moment, bit simplistic I know but we are just not giving opposition keepers difficult days.

Think we can all agree on that and it's something i expect will get addressed in the close season. I know people say he has let all the wide men go but i still don't think we had any decent ones to begin with. Tombola is about the only one who has the pace to get round the full back but his end product is not really up to much.
Posted by: MarinerRob, March 2, 2017, 7:06pm; Reply: 61
Bad news for Grimsby Town supporters - I'm wavering.
I checked out the number of times I saw Town lose which is 13 in total (12 league and 1 cup) and I saw 12 out of the 13 defeats.
Town have won 13 and I have only seen 4. Clearly I've been going to the wrong matches. Problem is that I don't know which ones beforehand.
So if Town lose again you know I'm there and if Town win I must have my feet up at home.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, March 2, 2017, 7:20pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from MarinerRob

Sorry case packed - no space. Not to rub it in too much when Town play Crawley at home I should be at [url]https://ferrariworldabudhabi.com/[/url] Ferrari World for the world's fastest coaster out into the desert. Feel free to feel sorry for me. hee hee

Have you been there before Rob?

I went on that one a few years back, amazing adrenaline rush, well worth it.
Posted by: MarinerRob, March 2, 2017, 9:04pm; Reply: 63
No. Never been to that part of the world before. I'm going with the ECC (European Coaster Club) for five days.
And just received information that we will be going up the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa, before flying home. And I don't like heights. It's going to be an amazing trip.
Posted by: MarinerRob, March 4, 2017, 8:29pm; Reply: 64
Not my fault for today's result. I was wavering but I'm pleased I didn't come today so I don't get the blame.
Shame about the result as the first half sounded very encouraging. As well as late on in the game.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 8:08am