It's well worth a trip to BP me thinks. All first team players playing
Posted by: Garth, February 20, 2017, 3:00pm; Reply: 1
What time is KO, is it advertised?
Posted by: thevera, February 20, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 2
Will Steve Evans be there?
Posted by: Garth, February 20, 2017, 3:06pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from thevera

I would say yes,  individual voice sounds tend to travel far in the ressies games, I hope he`s there because I sit near the benches and its always interesting to overhear the coaches comments.
Posted by: mariner83, February 20, 2017, 3:34pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Garth
What time is KO, is it advertised?

MARCUS Bignot has promised that a strong side will face Mansfield Town in Tuesday's Central League game at Blundell Park (2pm).
Read more at [url=http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/strong-reserves-side-to-face-stags-3586036.aspx#yflFxFlADspIx0Mu.99]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/strong-reserves-side-to-face-stags-3586036.aspx#yflFxFlADspIx0Mu.99[/url]
Posted by: Garth, February 20, 2017, 4:11pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from mariner83

MARCUS Bignot has promised that a strong side will face Mansfield Town in Tuesday's Central League game at Blundell Park (2pm).
Read more at [url=http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/strong-reserves-side-to-face-stags-3586036.aspx#yflFxFlADspIx0Mu.99]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/strong-reserves-side-to-face-stags-3586036.aspx#yflFxFlADspIx0Mu.99[/url]

Thanks(thumbup)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, February 20, 2017, 4:20pm; Reply: 6
Down at The Bay Pee.
Posted by: bluebottle, February 20, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 7
Is it pay on the gate? 😊
Posted by: Mallyner, February 20, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from thevera

He could be Mansfield are playing a new 'wide man.'  :)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 20, 2017, 7:06pm; Reply: 9
3 quid adults one pound for concessions shame I can't make it 😩
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 20, 2017, 7:36pm; Reply: 10
If I get my jobs done early, I'll pop down. Is it still main stand only open? Cheers.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2017, 7:44pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from 75
If I get my jobs done early, I'll pop down. Is it still main stand only open? Cheers.

Yes.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 20, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 12
In Grimsby all week decorating for my dad so I think we will have a break from painting £4 VFM I reckon
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 20, 2017, 11:10pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes.

Thanks
Posted by: jaygy, February 20, 2017, 11:19pm; Reply: 14
Hoping to make this one and hopefully will see young Ahkeem Rose get some game time with the first team pros
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2017, 11:22pm; Reply: 15
I will be giving myself an early finish. Actually, i'll probably not even start and have the day off to go to BP. Well it is a 25 minute walk after all.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 20, 2017, 11:23pm; Reply: 16
Work till 2 but if get to knock off 1:30 then will scream down 180 to The BP.  8)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2017, 11:29pm; Reply: 17
Not seen this much interest in a reserve game for a while. There's usually a couple of hundred sad gits like me.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 20, 2017, 11:58pm; Reply: 18

Another sad git here...........I'm hoping to make the game also.

Posted by: Davec, February 21, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 19
Unfortunately I can't make it but I'll of course be following updates on Twitter, and a mini just back thread incorporated into this thread would be much appreciated it :)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 21, 2017, 8:30am; Reply: 20
What's the record attendance for a reserve game?

Perhaps the one we had those three Italians play in during the 90s?
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 21, 2017, 9:00am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I can remember us playing Liverpool reserves in the Bobby Roberts relegation season and there was about 5000 there I think, more that most first team games that season. They hammered us I think but IIRC we did beat Everton reserves that season.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2017, 9:45am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Les Brechin

I can remember us playing Liverpool reserves in the Bobby Roberts relegation season and there was about 5000 there I think, more that most first team games that season. They hammered us I think but IIRC we did beat Everton reserves that season.

I was at the Liverpool game. They murdered us but i think they used to win the Central League every season back then.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 21, 2017, 10:12am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I think it was when we had Ivano Bonetti on trial from Juventus, with Enzo Gambaro. Over 2000 I think.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 21, 2017, 10:31am; Reply: 24
cant make it today but will be relying on updates, dam work! should be a good afternoon for football
Posted by: Cloudy, February 21, 2017, 10:57am; Reply: 25
Looks like it will be a waste of time to me.

Towns side looks very strong but Mansfield sending their youngsters as Fat Steve claims they have had enough of Grimsby and doesnt want anyone sent off!

Instead they are having a in house squad game to give match practice to his players not currently in the starting X1

http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/stags-to-send-youngsters-to-grimsby-for-central-league-clash-1-8400904
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 21, 2017, 11:38am; Reply: 26
Mansfield what a joke! Protect your players from a reserve game, then what's the point in them bothering with the reserve league at all. At least our strikers will get some shooting practice.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, February 21, 2017, 11:43am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Cloudy
Looks like it will be a waste of time to me.

Towns side looks very strong but Mansfield sending their youngsters as Fat Steve claims they have had enough of Grimsby and doesnt want anyone sent off!

Instead they are having a in house squad game to give match practice to his players not currently in the starting X1

http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/stags-to-send-youngsters-to-grimsby-for-central-league-clash-1-8400904

Just read that thanks , what a f. Ing sharp object .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 21, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 28
"Intimidated by fans" FFS clearly he is the shy type that's easily ruffled. "Protect ourselves" from what ?

He's so full of sh1t it's unbelievable, bit embarrassing really!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2017, 11:55am; Reply: 29
buddy! Think i'll give it a swerve then as it will literally be men against boys. What has happened to football, with teams putting out weakened sides in everything from cup games to reserve games? Premier league mentality is creeping down the leagues now. My Bro in Law is a Huddersfield fan and he was fuming that they put out a weakened side last Saturday against Man City in the F.A. Cup.

I now dislike Mansfield and Evans a bit more.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 21, 2017, 1:16pm; Reply: 30
It's a reserve fixture why are some getting there nickers in a twist that Steve Evans isn't sending the majority of his first team ?
Posted by: Davec, February 21, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 31
Warrington, Davies, Gowling, Boyce, Maxwell, Comley, Disley (c), McAllister, Yussuf, Vernon, Asante

Subs, Berrett, Hough, Sawyer ,Rose ,Heath-Drury
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2017, 1:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from jonnyboy82
It's a reserve fixture why are some getting there nickers in a twist that Steve Evans isn't sending the majority of his first team ?

It's more to do with the reasons given, plus what is the point of having reserve and youth fixtures if you are going to put the youth team out for reserve games?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, February 21, 2017, 2:01pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Davec
Warrington, Davies, Gowling, Boyce, Maxwell, Comley, Disley (c), McAllister, Yussuf, Vernon, Asante

Subs, Berrett, Hough, Sawyer ,Rose ,Heath-Drury

That team would probably hold its own in L2
Posted by: Maringer, February 21, 2017, 2:03pm; Reply: 34
Let's kick chunks out them - that'll show Fatty. (devil2)
Posted by: Hagrid, February 21, 2017, 2:15pm; Reply: 35
town 1/16 on to win! never seen us at them odds before ;D
Posted by: Cloudy, February 21, 2017, 2:20pm; Reply: 36
1-0 sean MacAllister
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 21, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 37
2-0 Vernon
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 21, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 38
Looks like realistic odds then?
Posted by: Davec, February 21, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 39
2-1 another free kick, by ex Grimsby Youth player Lewis Collins
Posted by: Abdul19, February 21, 2017, 2:48pm; Reply: 40
Bookies offer odds on reserve games?! Blimey
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 21, 2017, 3:02pm; Reply: 41
Half time Micky Moore takes the lads into the dressing room Marcus stays out talking to the supporters and having photos done with kids - top bloke👍
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 21, 2017, 3:32pm; Reply: 42
Either of the reserve goalkeepers in the bar or at the pie stand ???
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 21, 2017, 3:47pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Civvy at last
Either of the reserve goalkeepers in the bar or at the pie stand ???

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fa-cup/suttons-23-stone-goalkeeper-wayne-shaw-may-have-broken-fa-betting-rules-by-eating-pie-during-arsenal-match/ar-AAn9ChG?li=BBoPOOl
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, February 21, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 44
What was the final score?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 21, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 45

FT   Town  2-1  Mansfield.

Pleased I went, fair play to Mansfield they made a game of it.

I bet Warrington is taking a bit of stick/banter from the lads for his blunder in conceding from the free kick.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 21, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 46
Solid performance against a young Mansfield side, who hardly saw the ball, but never gave up chasing....good performances from Davies, Maxwell, Gowling and Vernon...Disley and Asante were quiet, and Yussuf gave the ball away alot....nice to see McAllister back again. and whilst you have to take these games with a pinch of salt, it's good to see fringe players getting game time, and shows our strength in depth, a decent turn out as well.
Posted by: GyMariner, February 21, 2017, 4:42pm; Reply: 47
So is mcallister fully fit now then? Struggle to see why he isn't getting near the starting 11 when he's already got the experience of being promoted from this league, in a position that (over the seasons) we have been weakest in.
Posted by: Garth, February 21, 2017, 4:49pm; Reply: 48
Stand outs for me were Gowling, Boyce, Maxwell and Vernon, Mansfield were a non show really, plenty of huff and puff but apart from our keepers fumble from a free kick they never looked like scoring, Warrington could have got his deck chair out it was such a quiet afternoon for him.

Yussuf poor finishing and some lucky goal keeping kept the score down to two, all in all a get fit exercise for squad players who are not featuring at the moment.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 21, 2017, 5:03pm; Reply: 49
£3 well spent, exposed one thing for me the lack of a credible replacement for Macca if he got injured or suspended. Don't want to sound like I'm having a pop at Andy because he's making a difference as a coach but he had one thing to do this afternoon and did it badly.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 21, 2017, 5:21pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GyMariner
So is mcallister fully fit now then? Struggle to see why he isn't getting near the starting 11 when he's already got the experience of being promoted from this league, in a position that (over the seasons) we have been weakest in.

He's probably near match fitness now, obviously needs game time....however he's probably already got in front of him:- Gunning, Comely, Disley and Maxwell, so whilst i was encouraged by what i saw of him today, im sorry to say it, but i can't see him getting much of a look in, and from what i saw today, Maxwell is bound to feature soon.
Posted by: Garth, February 21, 2017, 5:32pm; Reply: 51
For those who are as ancient as me, Maxwell reminds me of Duncan Edwards in build and style of play, Edwards used to stand with the ball at his feet and you just could not knock him off it, then he would take off on a run.
I don`t think he`s proper match fit yet but he never put a foot wrong today.  Maxwell that is!
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 21, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Garth
For those who are as ancient as me, Maxwell reminds me of Duncan Edwards in build and style of play, Edwards used to stand with the ball at his feet and you just could not knock him off it, then he would take off on a run.
I don`t think he`s proper match fit yet but he never put a foot wrong today.  Maxwell that is!

Yes, his strength and physical attributes, together with heading ability in both boxes, will be an asset in front of a flat back four, he can also drop into left back when Andrew goes on a run.....he's certainly suited to the type of game when we need to battle and grind out a result....he looks a good player in the making.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, February 21, 2017, 6:13pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Yes, his strength and physical attributes, together with heading ability in both boxes, will be an asset in front of a flat back four, he can also drop into left back when Andrew goes on a run.....he's certainly suited to the type of game when we need to battle and grind out a result....he looks a good player in the making.

If Maxwell is released at the end of this season to make space for Birminghams new signings i hope we try to sign him if he continues to perform well. Much as i like to see skilfull players i appreciate we have to win the ball in order to play. He adds to that physicallity we have lacked and i can see where MB is going here. If he gets the right players signed i feel he's going in the right direction.
Posted by: Tradjazz, February 21, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 54
Luke Maxwell is built like a brick wall. Had a terrific game today and looked really comfortable at all times. Think he only played one bad pass all game. Deffo will be in the side pretty soon.

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 21, 2017, 7:58pm; Reply: 55
Thought Maxwell did well today and all the players put in a shift. Noticed McAlister doing a lot of organising as well as some box to box stuff in addition to breaking up their play. Comley also did some good stuff too. O.K. It was versus Mansfields kids who acquited themselves well but I am not sure we have ever had so much cover/options in mid field
Posted by: Malaga_Mariner, February 21, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 56
Agree with all of the above re Maxwell, one reservation i may have is his reluctance to use his right peg, when moved centrally in the second half he was turning inside to get the ball on his favored left side....only one game against a youthful Mansfield set up so far too early to pass judgement. It will be interesting to see him in the first team against seasoned league 2 players.
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 22, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 57
Berret still injured or not made the reserve squad?
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, February 22, 2017, 12:30pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from monkeyboy

Came on in second half playing right back until last 10 mins when one of the youngsters went to right back and Berrett moved into midfield.

Looked the same player as before the injury, so I can't see him forcing his way back into the team.

UTM
Posted by: mariner83, February 22, 2017, 12:32pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from monkeyboy

He was a sub?

[tweet]834026996040626176[/tweet]

[tweet]834060932540203010[/tweet]
Posted by: moosey_club, February 22, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Davec
2-1 another free kick, by ex Grimsby Youth player Lewis Collins

always thought he would become a Professional...................(sorry)
Posted by: chaos33, February 22, 2017, 3:56pm; Reply: 61
I don't understand the logic of changing a two syllable word 'reserves' into another two syllable word 'ressies'. (blink)(confused1)
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 22, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from chaos33
I don't understand the logic of changing a two syllable word 'reserves' into another two syllable word 'ressies'. (blink)(confused1)

It's one letter less to type!  ;)
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 22, 2017, 4:30pm; Reply: 63
Lots of his passes went astray not impressed.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 22, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from chaos33

i struggle with the older generation where i know a few Jacks who are actually John ...for short... :-/
Posted by: Abdul19, February 22, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from chaos33

The important thing is that we got the W.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 6:44am