Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 19, 2017, 6:27pm
Has anyone else listened to Steve Evans' post-match interview on their OS.

He reckons they should have been 3-1 up rather than 1-0 down. I can't say that I remember them having 3 clear cut chances in the whole game!
Posted by: LH, February 19, 2017, 6:30pm; Reply: 1
I think most of their fans thought they should have been too. Are they only born with one eye there because they seemed to think anything in our box at the Pontoon end was close? OOOOOOOO!
Posted by: Cloudy, February 19, 2017, 6:39pm; Reply: 2
Tbf every post match interview I have ever heard from Evans is about how his side was robbed, should have won and the referee is awful.

I assume he does it as some form of 'boosting' his own players strategy?
Posted by: golfer, February 19, 2017, 7:01pm; Reply: 3
What does Steve Evans look like. My accountant is called Steve Evans and he's a little fat bloke who is always going on about nobody liking him.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 19, 2017, 8:10pm; Reply: 4
I actually thought that they were certainly on top for the first twenty minutes but, other than the missed header leading to the Mansfield oooo's, they never really looked like scoring. In reality their midfield in that time was pretty effective and they moved the ball around well but throughout their back four looked very vulnerable and their attack pretty toothless.

Just shows how much goals change games and scoring just before half time is always an added bonus. Only disappointment was the fall in numbers of the home fans so lets hope for a win at Morecombe so that we can keep 5000 plus gates going right through until the end of the season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 19, 2017, 8:34pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
I actually thought that they were certainly on top for the first twenty minutes but, other than the missed header leading to the Mansfield oooo's, they never really looked like scoring. In reality their midfield in that time was pretty effective and they moved the ball around well but throughout their back four looked very vulnerable and their attack pretty toothless.

Just shows how much goals change games and scoring just before half time is always an added bonus. Only disappointment was the fall in numbers of the home fans so lets hope for a win at Morecombe so that we can keep 5000 plus gates going right through until the end of the season.

I don't think they where on top as much as it took us time to just get to know each other and settle, it exposed them for being average and "on a good run" rather than real promotion candidates as if we where playing a better side whilst we stabilised we might have found ourselves a couple of goals down. I am no coach but traditionally we have started quick/well at BP but in the last few seasons we have been slow starters in games with regard to tempo, pace and rhythm, maybe that has influenced the poor home form who knows?

Thought we got better when we stopped getting in each others way and started to keep the ball better in midfield.Also they where blowing out of their arses after about 30 mins which I was surprised at for a professional team.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 19, 2017, 8:41pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Important word BUT. But you can move the ball around all you like but if you've got no penetration it doesn't matter. Truth is they looked more effective when they went direct to Green and, if I'm honest, their midfield looked pretty much like our midfield early in the season, looks fine in possession but no threat.

This is the massive change in our team. Osborne and Jones look to put people on the back foot and Tom's pace yesterday terrified their full back. Moving the ball forward at pace is the way to go.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 19, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 7
They certainly could have had 2 or 3 goals in the game, cant remember at which point they came, a couple of headers that were clear opportunites and they had another decent chance late on at 3-0....but hey.......and if it helps wind Evans up even more then ...haha.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2017, 9:04pm; Reply: 8
I thought they edged the first 20 mins too and if the contact had been better on a couple of their chances, you never know. Everything they tried seemed to be scuffed or straight at Macca. Getting the goal when we did made all the difference and gave us a bit of confidence. I thought they started the second half well too but didn't really look too threatening and again we scored at a good time to take the game away from them. I thought they looked more together than us at times but we had the players with the outstanding moments on the day. I think we will become more of a unit over the course of the rest of he season, now that everything is settling down but i still expect us to be a bit up and down.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 19, 2017, 10:05pm; Reply: 9
Well summed up Ginney that is how fine the margins are certain defining moments changed the game you also need luck.

We desperately need a system that players understand.

We have become a big strong side not something normally associated with us and should not be bullied by any team which is great but you still need brains and Osborne has that in spades. I

In my opinion our two wing backs Mills and Andrews can also play a bit (dare I say like John McDermott use to) love the way they push up and whip in some lovely crosses just need to find that target man to get on the end of them.  
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 19, 2017, 10:30pm; Reply: 10
Interesting part of Mills game is that he rarely takes a throw in and sends it forwards, or thats how it seems to me which is really odd and at times a bit annoying given the length he can lauunch the ball.

Like him as a player but again I believe there are occasions when he dwells on the ball & looks indecisive. However, this is first season as a full time professional and he certainly merits his place and I expect we will see him improve even further as his expeience grows which goes for a great number of the current side.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 19, 2017, 10:35pm; Reply: 11
Mills, Jones and Osborne are all players with huge potential to go a lot higher than league 2 if you ask me.
Posted by: rancido, February 20, 2017, 3:33pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Well summed up Ginney that is how fine the margins are certain defining moments changed the game you also need luck.

We desperately need a system that players understand.

We have become a big strong side not something normally associated with us and should not be bullied by any team which is great but you still need brains and Osborne has that in spades. I

In my opinion our two wing backs Mills and Andrews can also play a bit (dare I say like John McDermott use to) love the way they push up and whip in some lovely crosses just need to find that target man to get on the end of them.  

Once the team get used to playing a system and confidence in the other players integration into that system then things will fall into place. MB has introduced a different ethos to the side , this coupled with trying to integrate many new players will inevitably take time. The new players have to understand what MB requires of them and the established players have to forget what PH wanted so they can buy into MB's vision. It all takes time but things certainly look promising so far and 3 points off a play-off place at this phase of the season can't be bad.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, February 20, 2017, 6:12pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mariner_09
Mills, Jones and Osborne are all players with huge potential to go a lot higher than league 2 if you ask me.

I hope we are near the top of L1 before anyone above L2 realises. We need our good players to get us out of this league asap IMO. Not all plaayers signed from non league can make it so when you get a few that do we have to make it tell. We really need a couple of locals to break through as well as their commitment to the cause counts for a lot when it gets tough.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 4:27am