Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, February 18, 2017, 9:33pm
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/shaun-pearson-very-proud-after-making-250th-grimsby-town-appearance-during-win-over-mansfield/story-30146178-detail/story.html

Shaun Pearson 250th game for us today.
Top player, top bloke.
Long may he continue 👍🏼
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 18, 2017, 9:50pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from TAGG

Yup and would be our captain for a long time too If I signed the cheques
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 18, 2017, 9:51pm; Reply: 2
Excellent servant of the club and doesn't look at all out of place in league football.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 18, 2017, 9:55pm; Reply: 3
Great 'servant of the club' (can't think of a better phrase right now), a good ambassador, and still improving as a player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him turning out for us in League 1.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 18, 2017, 10:02pm; Reply: 4

Really pleased for him, shame how it's gone for Gowling though..........that's football.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 18, 2017, 10:08pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Great 'servant of the club' (can't think of a better phrase right now), a good ambassador, and still improving as a player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him turning out for us in League 1.

Key point for me. Wasn't seen by the manager as one of our first choice centre backs last season but looks fitter than ever this season, has become a much better passer of the ball and is now, possibly, the first choice for the captain's armband. On top of that, he's got the club in his heart and is a bloody cracking lad - well done Shaun.
Posted by: Tommy, February 18, 2017, 10:08pm; Reply: 6
I love Shaun Pearson
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 18, 2017, 10:15pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Tommy
I love Shaun Pearson

Too much information         ??)

Posted by: LH, February 18, 2017, 10:15pm; Reply: 8
I think he's surprised everyone with how well he has coped in the league. A model professional who deals with set backs like being out of the team by knuckling down and winning back his place in the team whether that's in training or being forced back into the team for whatever reason. Add to those assets his community work and - as with Diz - his never ending commitment to staying at GTFC to get us back up and you have a proper club legend. Here's to the next 250, Shaun.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, February 18, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 9
He's risen to every challenge since he's been here, struggled initially from the step up from boston, has fought off plenty of competition in the side when hurst and then bignot have thought they had better options than him, and stepped up again in this league, must just be a real determined hard working professional, hope he's with us for a long time to come
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 18, 2017, 11:21pm; Reply: 10
He is a good solid player and has improved every season since he joined us.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 18, 2017, 11:28pm; Reply: 11
Well done Shaun, well deserved that you have notched 250 games for our beloved club.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 18, 2017, 11:30pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Key point for me. Wasn't seen by the manager as one of our first choice centre backs last season but looks fitter than ever this season, has become a much better passer of the ball and is now, possibly, the first choice for the captain's armband. On top of that, he's got the club in his heart and is a bloody cracking lad - well done Shaun.

Shame you have devalued your sentiment towards Shaun in that once again your post has to have a pop at Hurst, do you have any original themes?
Posted by: Tommy, February 18, 2017, 11:33pm; Reply: 13
Where does his post have a pop at Hurst?

Just says that Hurst didn't see him as one of our first choice centre-backs last season. Which is true, he didn't. And that he now looks fitter and an improved player.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 18, 2017, 11:36pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Tommy
Where does his post have a pop at Hurst?

Just says that Hurst didn't see him as one of our first choice centre-backs last season. Which is true, he didn't. And that he now looks fitter and an improved player.

In reality It's not the post that has a pop at Hurst, its usually the poster
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 18, 2017, 11:45pm; Reply: 15
Come off it Herts. You said Cloudy ruined his sentiment 'in that once again your post you has to have a pop at Hurst'. Then you deny it! Or try to.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 18, 2017, 11:58pm; Reply: 16
Come off it Herts. You said Cloudy ruined his sentiment 'in that once again your post you has to have a pop at Hurst'. Then you deny it! Or try to.

No I said Old Codger did, not Cloudy but then backed up Tommy comment that maybe the post was not having a pop at Hurst but the poster usually/often does.

Not backing out of anything mate Old Codger is a self confessed Hurst critic in one breath and then tells us we should embrace the future and get behind MB, all feels a bit contradictory to me when a poster asserts a view to the future and then dwells on the past.    
Posted by: chaos33, February 19, 2017, 12:51am; Reply: 17
(clap2) Shaun
Posted by: moosey_club, February 19, 2017, 1:27am; Reply: 18
and a good game today to boot.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 19, 2017, 7:50am; Reply: 19
Quoted from HertsGTFC

No I said Old Codger did, not Cloudy but then backed up Tommy comment that maybe the post was not having a pop at Hurst but the poster usually/often does.

Not backing out of anything mate Old Codger is a self confessed Hurst critic in one breath and then tells us we should embrace the future and get behind MB, all feels a bit contradictory to me when a poster asserts a view to the future and then dwells on the past.    

I stated that Shaun wasn't a first choice centre back last season - which is a fact - and that he now is - fact - and he seems to be first choice for the armband - fact - and I didn't mention the former manager - fact.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 19, 2017, 7:54am; Reply: 20
NEW CONTRACT PLEASE!
Posted by: Cloudy, February 19, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 21

Where have I had a pop at Hurst??

I was and still am a huge fan of Paul Hursts management.

This is a continual problem with people throwing unsubstantiated accusations around
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 19, 2017, 9:18am; Reply: 22
You didn't mate KM just didn't read my post properly
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 19, 2017, 9:58am; Reply: 23
Where does that put him on our record appearances ? Surely quickly approaching the top 10 with potentially a lot of years left in him.

(Unless pesky PH tries too take him too Shrews in Summer - might be very difficult to turn down).

UTm
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 19, 2017, 10:01am; Reply: 24
I wouldn't have thought anywhere near the top ten, maybe once he gets to 350!

Buckleys teams alone had half a dozen players in the 300s.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 19, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 25
At first I feared that League 2 maybe a bit out of Shaun's capability but he has worked hard and developed to overcome the extra demands on him. I'm really pleased Shaun has upped a gear and know he can only get better, certainly a player you want to stay and grow with us.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 19, 2017, 10:42am; Reply: 26
He's always been better when given a run of games. When he came back into the side earlier in the season he looked rusty but after 3 or 4 games he looked very solid, him and Collins, barring last week that must go down as a freak, looking very difficult to break down.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 19, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 27
Cloudy, I apologise I used your name instead of Old Codger. I didn't actually say you or he had a pop at Hurst. I said Herts had accused OC had a pop atHurst ( or rather I meant say OC but used your moniker instead of OC).

So apart from me using Cloudy's name instead of OC, I quoted your own words stating that OC had had a pop at Hurst. Re-read your own post and see what it says. Regardless of OC's track record he didn't actually have a pop at Hurst last night, but you clearly said he did.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 19, 2017, 11:03am; Reply: 28
Cloudy, I apologise I used your name instead of Old Codger. I didn't actually say you or he had a pop at Hurst. I said Herts had accused OC had a pop atHurst ( or rather I meant say OC but used your moniker instead of OC).

So apart from me using Cloudy's name instead of OC, I quoted your own words stating that OC had had a pop at Hurst. Re-read your own post and see what it says. Regardless of OC's track record he didn't actually have a pop at Hurst last night, but you clearly said he did.

For the record, I'm sure no offence was meant - certainly none was taken. To clarify my position regarding PH, I respect the job he did for GTFC but don't agree with how he got there. He had zero affinity with the fans and many of us didn't take to him - respect is a two-way thing.

Whilst we're in this transitional stage, it's worth noting that Marcus has far more respect for the fans and, while I know it's only a week since Crewe, I'm getting a little bit excited about the new squad's potential particularly as we are playing without a proven goalscorer.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 19, 2017, 11:11am; Reply: 29
I also think one other thing he's added to his overall game, or maybe that should be taken from it, is his regular back-chatting to refs, which all too often ended in a silly yellow. That, and his new League2 Beckenbauer surging skills have made him just about the complete player.
Posted by: Caveman, February 20, 2017, 11:55am; Reply: 30
Today's Mark Lever / Justin Whittle .

In the trenches and all that........ !
Posted by: Tommy, February 21, 2017, 11:35pm; Reply: 31
For anyone with a spare 5 minutes:

The Rise and Rise of Shaun Pearson - http://wp.me/p1OWVf-eq
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 22, 2017, 12:08am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Tommy

Great article Tommy. Good and honest tribute to him.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 22, 2017, 12:33am; Reply: 33
Enjoyed that :)
Posted by: Skrill, February 22, 2017, 1:40am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Tommy

Nice read that, no doubt Pearson will become a Town legend.

Posted by: jimgtfc, February 22, 2017, 8:36am; Reply: 35
Cracking read that Tommy and I'd echo every word. The way Shaun plays means he doesn't rely on pace or much athleticism so he could play well into his 30s. Maybe another 5/6 seasons, that's possibly another 250 appearances, and I'd absolutely love it if he achieved that.
Posted by: toontown, February 22, 2017, 9:05am; Reply: 36
Thoroughly enjoyed that article and agree with just about everything in it
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 22, 2017, 9:28am; Reply: 37
Fantastic article Tommy, hats off mate. Hope you don't mind but I've tweeted the link to Shaun himself. Very well written pal!

I echo your thoughts of him being a town legend along with Dis and Macca!
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 3:52am