Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 11, 2017, 4:59pm
Left 4.15. Another £150 to watch Town today - playing down the middle with no width does not work. Long haul yes and I'll be there Tuesday.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2017, 5:24pm; Reply: 1
Stayed till the end, total horror show. Davies completely exposed on the right hand side from the off. Bignot failed to change it till the game was lost. Didn't like him keeping the players out at full time. He didn't set us up right. Have to say 5 flattered us, gunning should have been sent off for assault in the last minute, horrendous challenge from a total loose cannon.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 11, 2017, 5:34pm; Reply: 2
On the train now, cold, miserable and embarrassed (by the end).  Felt sorry for bignot in the end there, but he handled the situation well, and I actually felt more angry towards certain supporters by the end. Stop using the fact you paid for a ticket as a stick to beat the manager and players with, when it suites, it's embarrassing.

For the actual game, you can play any tactic you want, but if the players perform at that level, you won't stand a chance, no matter what. Davies played like a school kid first half, popping up in every position apart from the correct one, giving their number 11 the freedom of crewe. And boy did they capitalise. Comley literally offered no protection to the defense. I actually felt sorry for our centre backs who were left hopelessly exposed. Not sure you can really comment on our attack, the game was gone by the time dyson had a touch. What I will say though, I'd that after their first, I thought we looked good. And for 60 mins osbourne looked a class above.

Finally, I want to give a bit of praise for clements. Apparently, to those around me at least, he's become the scape goat. Out of all the players out there, clements was the one who held us together second half, keeping possession, closing down and fighting to the death. I felt sorry for him with some of the abuse he was getting.
Posted by: realist, February 11, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 3
What a load of balderdash mariner93. My first away game since we dropped out of the league. Bignot and players deserved all the critism they got. This was woeful.
Posted by: Caesar, February 11, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 4
On the train back now, just managed to stay till the end and sprint back to catch the train.

That was truly flipping awful. I think it is the worst game I have ever seen us play, we were awful defensively, Mckeown made a couple of decent saves to keep us in it, despite our 11 central midfielders we didn't have a midfield to speak of and up front the stirkers were so anonymous I didn't even realise that we had any.

You can try and break down tactics and things and over the next few days I am sure we shall, but all I can focus on is that we didn't have any fight on the pitch at all and Crewe, a team who hadn't won in 10 I think, looked like world beaters who could cut through us like a blowtorch through butter.

I think we should give Bignot time and am not meaning to make knee jerk reactions, but I don't get this plan, we are so narrow that teams look threatening against us no matter what, and yet we seem to carry no threat ourselves at all.

I hope that this team will develop into something better at some point but blimey they have set themselves a low bar to build on!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2017, 5:42pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Caesar
On the train back now, just managed to stay till the end and sprint back to catch the train.

That was truly flipping awful. I think it is the worst game I have ever seen us play, we were awful defensively, Mckeown made a couple of decent saves to keep us in it, despite our 11 central midfielders we didn't have a midfield to speak of and up front the stirkers were so anonymous I didn't even realise that we had any.

You can try and break down tactics and things and over the next few days I am sure we shall, but all I can focus on is that we didn't have any fight on the pitch at all and Crewe, a team who hadn't won in 10 I think, looked like world beaters who could cut through us like a blowtorch through butter.

I think we should give Bignot time and am not meaning to make knee jerk reactions, but I don't get this plan, we are so narrow that teams look threatening against us no matter what, and yet we seem to carry no threat ourselves at all.

I hope that this team will develop into something better at some point but blimey they have set themselves a low bar to build on!

Have a safe trip home mate, try and have a pint it will make it all feel better :)
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 11, 2017, 5:43pm; Reply: 6
Not to take anything away from Crewe but we gifted them that in the first 20 minutes, wrong team selection and then lack of quick changes cost us. After the 2nd Davies shouldof been off, out of position and out paced the entire first half. Andrews was just poor, he was in the right places but was just excrement.

Midfield none existant in the first half and no bite or fight from them at all left the 3 centre backs exposed. They created nothing and what they did feed to Vaccum and Yussif were scraps.

I thought Collins and Gunning while exposed played poorly in the first half they were cut through like butter and often found wrong side of their men. Pearson was the only one who could hold his head high out of the outfield players the poor bloke stood no chance he was always having to look after 3 positions at once and was always caught looking over his shoulder.

Macca like Pearson can hold his head high he made some great saves, conceded goals he could do little about and was hard done by 9 players in front of him butting in what felt like little to no effort.

Dyson and Yussif I can't decide if their performance was as bad as it looked or if it was more because they were feeding off scraps and the ref was giving them little to no protection as they were fouled time and time again.

2nd half, change of shape, no idea what the shape was, some strange subs made as there were worse players that stayed on then those that went off. Crewe let us play which made us look better then we were, Tombolla and Jones looked alright when they came on and Osbourne was able to play a little more. Asante looked  slow off the pace and lost half the time, but showed a couple of flashes.

Really wish I had saved my money what a waste.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 11, 2017, 5:45pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mariner93er
On the train now, cold, miserable and embarrassed (by the end).  Felt sorry for bignot in the end there, but he handled the situation well, and I actually felt more angry towards certain supporters by the end. Stop using the fact you paid for a ticket as a stick to beat the manager and players with, when it suites, it's embarrassing.

For the actual game, you can play any tactic you want, but if the players perform at that level, you won't stand a chance, no matter what. Davies played like a school kid first half, popping up in every position apart from the correct one, giving their number 11 the freedom of crewe. And boy did they capitalise. Comley literally offered no protection to the defense. I actually felt sorry for our centre backs who were left hopelessly exposed. Not sure you can really comment on our attack, the game was gone by the time dyson had a touch. What I will say though, I'd that after their first, I thought we looked good. And for 60 mins osbourne looked a class above.

Finally, I want to give a bit of praise for clements. Apparently, to those around me at least, he's become the scape goat. Out of all the players out there, clements was the one who held us together second half, keeping possession, closing down and fighting to the death. I felt sorry for him with some of the abuse he was getting.

Wow.
So are you saying that having paid a significant amount of money. ( some of which people give up other luxuries and some fans basics) to watch a game, they are not entitled to feel aggrieved.  Good luck to you and your band of happy clappers
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner93er

Big call the one highlighted in bold mate, if you pay for a ticket usually your entitled to an opinion on the game you see whether or not it's positive or negative.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 11, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 9
Paying money doesn't give you the right to act like a helmet. I paid money too, but didn't feel the need to abuse our manager like some.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 11, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 10
There's a difference between voicing an opinion and being a helmet.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2017, 5:50pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mariner93er
Paying money doesn't give you the right to act like a helmet. I paid money too, but didn't feel the need to abuse our manager like some.

Did anyone say it does?
Posted by: Stadium, February 11, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mariner93er

Feeling sorry for the manager,ah diddums.
Have you been to many matches?
Everybody is entitled to their their opinion.

Posted by: Davec, February 11, 2017, 6:21pm; Reply: 13
So what actually happened between supporters and players?
Posted by: Hagrid, February 11, 2017, 6:28pm; Reply: 14
Rang in to hunberside to say my views
Posted by: Lincspoacher, February 11, 2017, 6:33pm; Reply: 15
Seen every game under Bignot so far and come to following conclusions

Squad overall improved in terms of individual players
Bit like Les Dawson on the piano, all the notes in wrong order. No clear pattern of play or system which for a full time pro manager is worrying.
Interviews  are a car crash. Tonight he ran out of cliches and his own answer for the performance was they got blown away in first twenty minutes. No excrement. The question was why. .......he was unable to answer and actually buried is head in his hands as was lost.

My fear is that if we see that he is full of cliches and seems more concerned about courting favour with fans by blowing smoke up our arses, the players will quickly suss him out too.

I'm not going to Newport, cos today has sapped me for a week

Bignot...honeymoon over lad and time to turn the talk into some walk.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2017, 6:35pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Hagrid
Rang in to hunberside to say my views

Was it you that was going on about the players not understanding what the clubs about or something similar?
Posted by: Stadium, February 11, 2017, 6:37pm; Reply: 17
Normal dullard questioning by JT.
Ask some probing questions ie why were we "blown away" in the first 20 minutes.
What do you say and what was said with the interaction with the supporters etc.
Or just get Matt Dean to do the interviews.

Posted by: Hagrid, February 11, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Was it you that was going on about the players not understanding what the clubs about or something similar?

No
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 11, 2017, 6:51pm; Reply: 19
How do all the other side of players who can take a quality free kick and we can't find one ?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2017, 6:51pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Lincspoacher

Bit like Les Dawson on the piano, all the notes in wrong order. No clear pattern of play or system which for a full time pro manager is worrying.
Interviews  are a car crash. Tonight he ran out of cliches and his own answer for the performance was they got blown away in first twenty minutes. No excrement. The question was why. .......he was unable to answer and actually buried is head in his hands as was lost.

My fear is that if we see that he is full of cliches and seems more concerned about courting favour with fans by blowing smoke up our arses, the players will quickly suss him out too.

I feel a bit of a fraud posting on this thread as I could not go today but the above post made me think.

At this stage I can't see where he has brought better in, its easy to pin point the inadequacies of Summerfield and Berret but I just can't see it maybe it's me,  I'm sure he has brought in potential to be fair though.

What I see is a "revolving door" at Cheapside, new style of play, new players, some popular players (with the fans and players) left out, too many signings that are "raw talent" and a number of fans who have been seduced by MB as he is "good copy" versus the last manager who was a miserable so and so but though he was miserable would not have embarrassed the club on air like MB and Macca did after Stevenage..

So from what I see the challenge MB faces is,

- Replacing the top scorer - not his fault that BTW but it would always be on the "to do" list
- Sorting a shape that fits with the players ability
- Bedding in new players with FL league experience
- Bedding in a lot of players with FA league experience,
- Keeping what is still a big squad happy
- Picking up the players after a hammering
- One day on the training ground to fix the above before a long trip to a land where the s54g sheep
- Reducing the wage bill
- Keeping the majority of the fans on side

So am I personally still behind him, yes! Despite the fact that the above would indicate that he has made his first league job harder than it might have been. Good luck to him, I think he needs a bit now.

UTM!

Posted by: gtfc98, February 11, 2017, 6:54pm; Reply: 21
I didn't go today (thank god). I'm not a massive fan of wing backs but if he insists on playing this system then he needs to play Mills, Davies just doesn't have the pace or energy to play this role and he often looks completely exposed.

The whole thing makes the decision to let Chambers go even more bizarre. Have him and Tombola on the bench and at least there's an option to change it when it doesn't work. Think it may be a slog to the end of the season but think we'll be OK.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 11, 2017, 6:57pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I feel a bit of a fraud posting on this thread as I could not go today but the above post made me think.

At this stage I can't see where he has brought better in, its easy to pin point the inadequacies of Summerfield and Berret but I just can't see it maybe it's me,  I'm sure he has brought in potential to be fair though.

What I see is a "revolving door" at Cheapside, new style of play, new players, some popular players (with the fans and players) left out, too many signings that are "raw talent" and a number of fans who have been seduced by MB as he is "good copy" versus the last manager who was a miserable so and so but though he was miserable would not have embarrassed the club on air like MB and Macca did after Stevenage..

- Replacing the top scorer - not his fault that BTW but it would always be on the "to do" list
- One day on the training ground to fix the above before a long trip to a land where the s54g sheep
- Reducing the wage bill

So am I personally still behind him, yes! Despite the fact that the above would indicate that he has made his first league job harder than it might have been. Good luck to him, I think he needs a bit now.

UTM!

Come off it.. Spoilt comment and then the ear cupping in a cup final on national TV.

They all have their moments under pressure (even the best of them)  in their own individual way. They get away with murder if their team's winning and absolutely nothing after a defeat..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2017, 7:24pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

Come off it.. Spoilt comment and then the ear cupping in a cup final on national TV.

They all have their moments under pressure in their own individual way. They get away with murder if their team's winning and absolutely nothing after a defeat..

Depends how you see it, spoilt comment was inappropriate definitely but after the sh1t he took at Halifax I am not sure I would not have responded. would you??  Omar used to cup his ears to anyone after scoring many players do but they seem to be allowed to get away with it?

My point about Stevenage is that as the manager MB is the one (or should be) who gives the press/media permission to speak to players after a game the fact that Macca who clearly had an axe to grind was sent out was at best an error of judgement if not poor management control.  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 11, 2017, 7:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from HertsGTFC

- Reducing the wage bill

UTM!

Let us be brutally honest. He has not brought any players bar one that are better than what we had. Different yes, but those that may be a tad better (Osborne?) could have been integrated into a settled team with minimum fuss had he taken stock.

He obviously felt the need to get players in who he was more comfortable with, which is fair enough, but alarm bells started going off for me when he thought it necessary to do it mid season. He himself had to get used to managing in the football league; the team he inherited was doing pretty well and not many managers come in and get a well drilled and talented squad sitting in or just outside the play off positions.

He had a great victory at Plymouth with Hurst's squad and it was all looking rosy but I guess the players got the vibes that he was going to get his own players in and morale takes a dip.

We haven't played well in any of his home games (last week was a bit better) and nobody seems to know what he trying to achieve.

We are now in a difficult position - we have a new team that presumably cost a fair bit in wages and signing on fees and such like, so it is up to the manager to make it work. Why he put himself under such pressure I am not sure, but my theory is that he has really wanted to become a Football League manager and he has tried too hard to make an immediate impact.

Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 11, 2017, 7:48pm; Reply: 25
Did I just read that someone actually felt sorry for bignot ?

Made me laugh.
Posted by: Jaws, February 11, 2017, 8:05pm; Reply: 26
Can't believe no one has mentioned Comley, he was a disgrace and showed no effort whatsoever.

Main issue seemed to be related with pace and no efforts to mark anyone even at set plays.

Wish the defence especially Pearson would stop shrugging their shoulders and blaming each other whenever something doesn't go right!
Posted by: Pontooner, February 11, 2017, 8:13pm; Reply: 27

Let us be brutally honest. He has not brought any players bar one that are better than what we had. Different yes, but those that may be a tad better (Osborne?) could have been integrated into a settled team with minimum fuss had he taken stock.

He obviously felt the need to get players in who he was more comfortable with, which is fair enough, but alarm bells started going off for me when he thought it necessary to do it mid season. He himself had to get used to managing in the football league; the team he inherited was doing pretty well and not many managers come in and get a well drilled and talented squad sitting in or just outside the play off positions.

He had a great victory at Plymouth with Hurst's squad and it was all looking rosy but I guess the players got the vibes that he was going to get his own players in and morale takes a dip.

We haven't played well in any of his home games (last week was a bit better) and nobody seems to know what he trying to achieve.

We are now in a difficult position - we have a new team that presumably cost a fair bit in wages and signing on fees and such like, so it is up to the manager to make it work. Why he put himself under such pressure I am not sure, but my theory is that he has really wanted to become a Football League manager and he has tried too hard to make an immediate impact.

Spot on summary.
Posted by: golfer, February 11, 2017, 8:15pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Jaws
Can't believe no one has mentioned Comley, he was a disgrace and showed no effort whatsoever.

Main issue seemed to be related with pace and no efforts to mark anyone even at set plays.

Wish the defence especially Pearson would stop shrugging their shoulders and blaming each other whenever something doesn't go right!

I mentioned him and got red x's. I have never rated him and today he was utter shite. To me he can't do anything very good and I bet QPR are paying his full wages
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2017, 8:24pm; Reply: 29

I also think we are in a tricky position. Bignot is good at signing loads of players, he doesn't seem to be particularly clever at getting them to play. Mike Newell spent his time signing loads of players.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 11, 2017, 8:35pm; Reply: 30
Waited a while to post, Osborne and Pearson great, subs were ok, Why didnt Gunning do the great block on one of their players earlier in the game, might have made them think twice about running at us, and someone should have nobbled Cooper early on, he made Davies look like a school boy. (Not difficult his positioning for most of the game was like watching a 5 yr old)  Davies was awful. he was actually taking the kickoffs, If we had a penno he would have insisted on taking it and I bet gone in goal if we gave a penno away.
Clements did a bit 2nd half but thats because Crewe sat back which gave him time on the ball, Jones looks decent.
Poor reffing today let their centre halves get away with murder and seemed to like booking our players for things he did not consider fouls against us,
Forget this 352 unless your wing backs have genuine pace and energy and your holding midfielder can read the game better so your central defs dont spend half the game chasing down the opposing wingers.
4 more wins and we a deffo safe.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, February 11, 2017, 8:39pm; Reply: 31
Was like men against boys in that first half. Garbage and only McKeown and Osborne can come away from that with any credit. The fans deserved an apology.

Think it was coming because we never look convincing, even when we manage to come away with good results but I guess we'll have to judge for sure next season. Really don't think we needed to prat around changing the squad so much mid-season though.
Posted by: stevethefish, February 11, 2017, 8:46pm; Reply: 32
Back To Essex...

My most bizzare game since October 1991 when Tranmere smashed us 5-1 in the Zenith Data Systems Cup.

Couldn't believe my eyes today... it was just so strange right fom the start

Gunning is a lunatic.

Bignot was a wally for doing a team talk at the end of the game next to the fans. I like and want him to succeed - but it was embarrassing
Posted by: easypeersy, February 11, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Lincspoacher

I agree entirely with this post. His interviews are shocking! The team is completely disjointed. Most teams in this division can just plough straight through our midfield.
Where was any sort of left winger today? When we did manage to get the ball there was always acres of space over there with no one there or running towards it.
We look like Charles Charlie Charles Liverpool team from the Harry Enfield sketch show where they all just run after the ball in a group. So narrow! So slow! So clueless! This is all down to the manager. He has dismantled a decent team and yes some of the signings do look good. However it's how you use the tools that counts!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 11, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 34
I wouldn't call them tools, they do have good games every now and then :P
Posted by: easypeersy, February 11, 2017, 9:38pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I also think we are in a tricky position. Bignot is good at signing loads of players, he doesn't seem to be particularly clever at getting them to play. Mike Newell spent his time signing loads of players.

Wow, someone else is on my train of thought. This is alarmingly like the Mike Newell debacle!
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 11, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 36
I wasn't at the game, but may still have a point or two to make.

Team performance is not about turning a switch and it happens-even with very talented individuals.

I don't know whether the goals were due to individual mistakes, or lack of team interaction-thoughts please.

Once you go 2 down in short order, the team chases the game. Did this happen and we were caught out, or were we just endlessly outclassed for 30 minutes?

Sometimes if you get a hot streak you over-achieve-did this happen to Crewe-their Manager would have certainly wound them up before the game-I assume MB told his players what to expect, that we could not just turn up and expect to win.

Were the last 60 minutes a case of Crewe sitting on a 4 goal lead, or did we get better.

Its all about opinions, but fans are entitled to theirs as much as players and managers!
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Lincspoacher

Thought provoking post
Posted by: Maringer, February 11, 2017, 10:15pm; Reply: 38
I don't think we need to hit panic stations just yet. Record in the last ten games is won 4, drawn 2, lost 4. We'll be OK, providing we can manage to keep a reasonable record for the remainder of the season.

What I do want to see is some sort of a coherent plan for how we're going to play. Are we going to pass it out from the back and play through midfield? Are we going to knock it long to the tall young lad on loan from Everton? Are we going to put it in the corners for the forwards to run on to? Are we going to sit back and defend in depth, trying to nick a goal on the break? Don't have a clue what we're trying to do, even after months under Bignot's management.

I can't help but feel that we're playing 3-5-2 because it had some success in a couple of big away games after various other formations/line-ups struggled but it seems most teams have worked it out since then. I hope the manager can come up with some sort of a coherent alternative before too long.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 11, 2017, 10:32pm; Reply: 39
https://youtu.be/AeISHcF1ySU I actually feel sorry for Marcus, the guy is passionate and the players let him down
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2017, 10:35pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from OllieGTFC
https://youtu.be/AeISHcF1ySU I actually feel sorry for Marcus, the guy is passionate and the players let him down

It's all deflection, he picks the team and sets them up. Bullshitting the fans at full time will only work once or twice.
Posted by: lee65, February 11, 2017, 10:37pm; Reply: 41
Never an easy call to make, and I'm not even sure if it's the right or wrong thing to do, but it takes a strong guy to do that and credit due to him.
Posted by: barralad, February 11, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 42
Most of what needed saying has been said but just a few observations on actual events in the game.
Macca saved Town from a far worse hammering but I'd like to see the first goal again because in real time it looked like he made their lads job for the first goal a bit easier by rushing out. His save in the second half from the chip from distance was extraordinary but perhaps now he'll be less prone to standing so far out of his goal.
It is impossible to fault Bolarinwa's effort and his strong running put Crewe (nearly) on the back foot but there was one moment where he took the ball off Assante's boot for a wild shot high/wide. Assante appeared incredulous!
I felt sorry for the young lad Dyson. The "service" was non-existant. He is too light to play a game requiring him to jump with experienced League 2 defenders.
We all know Bogle was our main (only?) goal threat but he brought the best out of Yousuff who looks a shadow of the player that did so well at Carlisle and Hartlepool without the big mans support.
We appeared to play a large part of the second half with a left back without a left foot (Collins)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 11, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 43
We knew what was coming at 0-1 and said intercourse it, pub at 3. Shocking that we couldn't even get out the flipping ground before 0-4. Total embarrassment.
Anyone who thinks we haven't a right to moan because we bought a ticket... really?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2017, 10:55pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from OllieGTFC

When we have seen this thing at other clubs it has marked the beginning of the end Di Cannio, Phil Brown etc.... I hope not as that shows how much this means to him and how big his balls are.

Posted by: Maringer, February 11, 2017, 11:28pm; Reply: 45
Collins is left-footed. Or, at least, he has been in all the games I've seen him play!
Posted by: bobbyturtle, February 12, 2017, 1:15am; Reply: 46
just back, didnt work 352 before, left exposed again. better 2nd half 44 flipping 2
Posted by: Stew0_0, February 12, 2017, 2:02am; Reply: 47
Woeful defensive display. Maybe uncharacteristic because we went from +2 to -3 goal difference in one match. Even collins had a bad game.
Only bright spark was osbourne again, dont understand the substitution of andrew as clements was by far the worst player on the field first half. Dyson got booked far too early and was off pace as was yussef and davies exposed on the right. Would have brought mills on for ben to counter against an impressive cooper who tore us apart first half and i dont understand why dagnall is playing at this level. Their loan player from middlesborough (no.16) was good too but town gifted crewe 4 goals first half and offered little going forward other than osbourne. On this showing we are greatly missing bogle as we were soooooo lightweight up top against big centre halfs.
Second half the game was already won and crewe took a stroll whilst we half heartedly tried to play for pride. Crewe could have stepped up a gear when they wanted and scored a fifth. Every player bar osbourne had mare today and this was the first time ever in 30 odd years that id ever left a game before the final whistle.
Very very disappointed but we need a response at newport
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 12, 2017, 2:04am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Lincspoacher

I couldn't agree more. Recently I used two words to describe the Carlisle game and they were "absolutely magnificent" the Crewe game I will describe in two words "flipping garbage".

I didn't join in the MB love in, I was waiting to see how he got on and am beginning to think the Carlisle game was an exception.

I know for a fact some senior players don't rate the guy at all, but I will add that their opinions might be slightly affected by them being no longer in the team.

I'm not a big fan of this 3-5-2 system, yes it worked at Carlisle but most of the other games we have looked quite poor at times even in the games we have won.

The Newport match is a big game for MB, defeat and the knives will certainly be out.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 12, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 49
I don't know how you can possibly say clements was the worst player first half, uses you completely ignore Davies and comley.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 12, 2017, 9:18am; Reply: 50
Bignot haa got some serious thinking to do. At Colchester under Hurst we were 3-0 down and he immediately changed it and brought on Pearson and Dis and unsurprisingly we improved and nearly got something. So Bignot leaves it. At 2-0 the game is still salvagable. Against a side with a recently awful record, get 2 banks of 4 and get to half time 2-0 and then take it from there. Yesterday after the early goal it seemed we went to pieces defensively with Andrew, as always when it comes to defending, was particularly atrocious.

I don't know if there's any truth in these rumours about players being unhappy but I would be surprised if it was the ones in the team.

And on top of all of that Hurst gets Shrewsbury to be the first team since 2015 to win at Scunny.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 12, 2017, 1:20pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Embarrassing....not so much MB but some of the "screamed" comments, all that was missing was torches and a creepy castle on a hill.....its a single game of football in a season....get a grip......we are supporters of a football team, loyal supporters,  however i am not sure many of us have been either a full time professional footballer, a manager of a League or even Conference team or have the necessary qualifications, experience, C.V to be manager of GTFC.
We all have differing opinions as we see on here and other social media outlets and not very often , if ever, do we all agree.

MB was wrong to stand there and engage in such chat IMO,just acknowledge the support, mouth the word sorry and go sort the team out, speak to the radio and apologise to the supporters in a coherent way post match rather than try and engage 1-700 or however many were left by then.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 12, 2017, 1:40pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from moosey_club

Embarrassing....not so much MB but some of the "screamed" comments, all that was missing was torches and a creepy castle on a hill.....its a single game of football in a season....get a grip......we are supporters of a football team, loyal supporters,  however i am not sure many of us have been either a full time professional footballer, a manager of a League or even Conference team or have the necessary qualifications, experience, C.V to be manager of GTFC.
We all have differing opinions as we see on here and other social media outlets and not very often , if ever, do we all agree.

MB was wrong to stand there and engage in such chat IMO,just acknowledge the support, mouth the word sorry and go sort the team out, speak to the radio and apologise to the supporters in a coherent way post match rather than try and engage 1-700 or however many were left by then.

He is trying too hard to be the opposite of the rather dour (but successful) Hurst. All his energies are needed on the training ground with the players. Like you say, better to leave the PR till he has time to consider all the options. I am surprised, very surprised really that he is finding it  all so difficult. He was manager of Solihull for 6 years wasn't he? Not at the same level, but a good grounding nevertheless I would have thought.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 12, 2017, 2:44pm; Reply: 53
I think we have to look at it in the long run, which was not easy on the train back yesterday. He has come in in a position were we were pretty much safe, with an outside shot at promotion. He's decided that he wants to stamp his mark on the team now, which could be beneficial at the beginning of next season when we will presumably have pretty much the same squad as now, whilst other teams have changed. I get that it can be argued that he didn't need to change the team like he has, but ultimately, what was to lose? I doubt anyone can believe the squad he inherited was capable of the form those in the playoffs are currently displaying. Therefore, in the short term there was always a big chance we'do suffer, but in the long term, it could be very beneficial.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 12, 2017, 3:13pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from moosey_club

I fully agree with what your saying Moosey but we have been talking about "single games of football" and "bad days at the office" a lot recently. From what I have seen we have a very, very long way before we can be considered decent. Maybe Marcus will take us there maybe he won't I am not convinced either way TBH but people giving it the big un when he was stood there yesterday does not help,
Posted by: moosey_club, February 12, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I fully agree with what your saying Moosey but we have been talking about "single games of football" and "bad days at the office" a lot recently. From what I have seen we have a very, very long way before we can be considered decent. Maybe Marcus will take us there maybe he won't I am not convinced either way TBH but people giving it the big un when he was stood there yesterday does not help,

we have been talking about it for the last 4/5 seasons as well...is that MB's fault ?
Hurst got us into lots of big game scenarios in his time and was ultimately succesful in just one of those and that took 5 seasons and god knows how many players. MB has been here weeks.

Posted by: Eastendmariner, February 12, 2017, 6:39pm; Reply: 56
Realist  First away since we dropped out of the league  Welcome back. See you Tuesday then  we are at Newport
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 12, 2017, 6:48pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from moosey_club

we have been talking about it for the last 4/5 seasons as well...is that MB's fault ?
Hurst got us into lots of big game scenarios in his time and was ultimately succesful in just one of those and that took 5 seasons and god knows how many players. MB has been here weeks.

Not sure what relevance PH's record before 15/05/16 has on the predicament we find ourselves in now. I don't know for definite but I think MB possibly had more financial resource at his disposal for the window just gone than PH ever had.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 12, 2017, 7:50pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Not sure what relevance PH's record before 15/05/16 has on the predicament we find ourselves in now. I don't know for definite but I think MB possibly had more financial resource at his disposal for the window just gone than PH ever had.

referring back to Hursts period was to highlight that the MB has had minimal time to introduce and change a whole lot, not only on the player front where he inherited a rather odd squad but also in the back room which he is also building...Hurst complained about lack of coaching etc and was reportedly unhappy about that side of things....MB has started addressing that,.....personally i think he may have overdone it in the short period he has but i can certainly see why he felt tempted....not sure many of us would argue too strongly about the personnel heading out or reasons given for some of them.  
The quality of the ones coming in are yet to be proved, as is the suitability of the squad to his preferred system.....but he has managed to tempt players here which s something Hurst struggled with.
MB's methods may not bear fruit for a season or two, we have been away for a considerable time and things have moved on, on and off the pitch, the whole club has to establish itself and acclimatise to this level...including ourselves as supporters.....we shouldnt expect play off finals, cup finals etc every season now.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 12, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from moosey_club

referring back to Hursts period was to highlight that the MB has had minimal time to introduce and change a whole lot, not only on the player front where he inherited a rather odd squad but also in the back room which he is also building...Hurst complained about lack of coaching etc and was reportedly unhappy about that side of things....MB has started addressing that,.....personally i think he may have overdone it in the short period he has but i can certainly see why he felt tempted....not sure many of us would argue too strongly about the personnel heading out or reasons given for some of them.  
The quality of the ones coming in are yet to be proved, as is the suitability of the squad to his preferred system.....but he has managed to tempt players here which s something Hurst struggled with.
MB's methods may not bear fruit for a season or two, we have been away for a considerable time and things have moved on, on and off the pitch, the whole club has to establish itself and acclimatise to this level...including ourselves as supporters.....we shouldnt expect play off finals, cup finals etc every season now.

All good stuff above, completely see what your saying Moosey. What I do know is that MB is bursting to do a good job which will ultimately work well for him.    
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 10:26pm