Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 8, 2017, 7:55am
Quoted from Grimsby Telegraph, by Matt Dannatt | Posted: 8 February 2017
How Grimsby Town could continue to profit from Omar Bogle's move to Wigan Athletic

GRIMSBY Town would be in-line for a cash windfall if Wigan Athletic manage to preserve their Championship status this season.

That's according to Mariners director John Fenty who, for the first time, has revealed some of the additional clauses that were inserted into the deal to take Omar Bogle to the DW Stadium from Blundell Park.

Mr Fenty was speaking to the Telegraph as he reflected on last week's sale of Town's top-scorer for a fee that remains undisclosed by either club, but is understood to be a seven figure sum.

However, he revealed that Town could be in line to make even more out of the deal, should Bogle – and the Latics – hit a number of targets during his time in the North West.

"If they maintain their Championship status this season, then there'll be something associated to that," he said, "There's also a clause related to the number of games Omar plays for them.

"If Wigan should one day return back to the Premier League, then there would also be another big boost – financially – to our club and also Solihull, who still enjoy a sell-on and benefit from any income related to his first move to us.

"We do also have a sell-on clause for Omar as well, which we felt was important in any deal that would have seen him leave us.

"These are typical add-ons that are becoming more and more the norm in the deals you do, so we haven't missed out in that respect."

He continued: "We thought it was a no-brainer to bring Omar into the club back in 2015 and give him the chance to step-up from the National League North.

"The football club and the board of directors always saw serious, serious potential in him.

"There was another club, which I now don't mind revealing as Leeds United, who were tracking the interest in Omar and they had an opportunity, at the last minute on deadline day, to come in and pip what was being offered by Wigan.

"They weren't prepared to do that and so that gives me the feeling that the deal we settled on with Wigan was of a good– and fair – value for a player of Omar's calibre and future potential."
Full story >> http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/town-thrive-if-the-latics-survive/story-30118428-detail/story.html
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 8, 2017, 8:00am; Reply: 1
So financial boots for:
If Wigan stay up
Appearances
If Wigan are promoted to the Premier League ONE DAY
Sell On
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 8, 2017, 8:02am; Reply: 2
When Oster was sold for for £1.5 million to Everton, some of that cash helped finance our promotion back to the Championship.

Maybe the money that we receive now and hopefully in the future from the sale of Bogle helped bring in the new players by Bignot and for the coming new season to reach another promotion.
Posted by: supertown, February 8, 2017, 8:42am; Reply: 3
Wonder if there is also an England cap bonus .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 8, 2017, 10:03am; Reply: 4
So a good news story for all, player comes in for a relatively small amount but one that potentially the supporters clubbed together to help support the deal. Scores crucial goals in the 2 biggest games of the season to help us secure a promotion back to where we belong.

He continues the good form into this season and helps us secure what will no doubt be safety in our first season back resulting in a move that pumps a cash injection into the club with potential more to come. He also leaves much loved by the fans as he behaved like a pro during the move.

Some people deserve a pat on the back for this as it looks like a good "object lesson" on how to spot, secure, develop and sell on talent.,

Well done Omar, well done Town!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2017, 10:05am; Reply: 5
JF came over and said hello to me on Saturday and he did look rather happy and relaxed. Had a spring in his step. What a difference a few months can make.
Posted by: Cloudy, February 8, 2017, 10:08am; Reply: 6
Quoted from ginnywings
JF came over and said hello to me on Saturday and he did look rather happy and relaxed. Had a spring in his step. What a difference a few months can make.

The truth is Ginny he has just sold you to RagArse Rovers for 2 slices of luncheon meat!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Cloudy

The truth is Ginny he has just sold you to RagArse Rovers for 2 slices of luncheon meat!

2 slices?

I'll never live up to that sort of pressure.
Posted by: chaos33, February 8, 2017, 10:23am; Reply: 8
Reserves!  :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 8, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

2 slices?

Just to pile the pressure on.  There is an add on of a rasher of Bacon if you score 20 goals in a season !!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Cloudy, February 8, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

2 slices?

It's ok, the luncheon meat is well past its sell by date :)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2017, 10:39am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Cloudy

It's ok, the luncheon meat is well past its sell by date :)

Very apt. Just hope the bonus bacon is unsalted. Got to keep my blood pressure in check.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 8, 2017, 11:34am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last

Just to pile the pressure on.  There is an add on of a rasher of Bacon if you score 20 goals in a season !!!!!!!!!!

The local pig community can sleep well tonight then ..
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 8, 2017, 12:17pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from moosey_club

The local pig community can sleep well tonight then ..

Tonight they can, but wait until  till about 11.30  on a Sat night in meggies  ;)
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 8, 2017, 1:14pm; Reply: 14
Hang on, is Fenty suggesting that Solihull will make even more money in the future, despite it being US who've just sold him?!  I really don't get that, it sounds a bit daft really........
Posted by: Abdul19, February 8, 2017, 1:16pm; Reply: 15
I guess that as they're entitled to x% of the sale, this includes the addons (otherwise we could've sold him for 10p with £1m coming after his first match)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 8, 2017, 1:31pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Heisenberg
Hang on, is Fenty suggesting that Solihull will make even more money in the future, despite it being US who've just sold him?!  I really don't get that, it sounds a bit daft really........

Daft but not unusual in transfer deals.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), February 8, 2017, 1:33pm; Reply: 17
I'm glad the same person who negotiated his deal from Solihull Moors has overseen with the onward deal to Wigan. It should  be worth a few quid...
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 8, 2017, 1:50pm; Reply: 18
Wasn't there questions asked about us being due a further cut when Peterborough sold Ryan Bennett to Norwich but Barry Fry managed to get out of it somehow?
Posted by: jaygy, February 8, 2017, 2:34pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin
Wasn't there questions asked about us being due a further cut when Peterborough sold Ryan Bennett to Norwich but Barry Fry managed to get out of it somehow?

I think he tried to buy us out of that clause but Fenty rejected it and when Bennett was sold for £4million we got £1million. That's how I remember it anyway and I think even Fenty admitted it was a stroke of genius putting that clause in when we sold Ryan
Posted by: Abdul19, February 8, 2017, 5:20pm; Reply: 20
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ryan-bennett-transfer-grimsby-town-court-claiming/story-24822839-detail/story.html
Posted by: moosey_club, February 8, 2017, 6:05pm; Reply: 21
Pretty sure we lost that, as the article says "dubious" wording which lead to two different interpretations of the clauses....i suspect Solihull would have included a simple and clear phrase of     "...and a  20% cut of any future ,fully inclusive of all add ons,transfer fee income..."  or something.

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 8, 2017, 6:21pm; Reply: 22
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-ryan-bennett-transfer-2111875.aspx

says we lost.
Posted by: Henryscat, February 9, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 23
Hang on.......if Wigan get promoted in 2067 do we still get money as part of this?
Posted by: wigworld, February 9, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Henryscat
Hang on.......if Wigan get promoted in 2067 do we still get money as part of this?

Yes. If Omar is still in the squad.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 10, 2017, 4:59am; Reply: 25
Quoted from wigworld

Yes. If Omar is still in the squad.

With the Wigan fans for  the 45th consecutive season debating if Omar's legs have gone  ;D ;D
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 11, 2017, 3:20pm; Reply: 26
Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports said "Grimsby only scored once still Omar Bogle [/b]£1m[b]move to Wigan
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2017, 3:48pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports said "Grimsby only scored once still Omar Bogle [/b]£1m[b]move to Wigan

He left ten days ago.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 6:26am