Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Numanoid, January 29, 2017, 10:40am
I hope I'm wrong but it seems that we are becoming a car pool team who don't really care about our town and people like Macca maybe Dis who live in the area being made surplus to requirements.at least Pearson seems to fit the mould.... For now anyway. Like I say I hope I'm wrong!
Posted by: Freemoash88, January 29, 2017, 4:44pm; Reply: 1
Which player are you then ?
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, January 29, 2017, 4:54pm; Reply: 2
FFS get a grip. Did Buckle not largely bring in players he had worked with previously
Posted by: coddy60, January 29, 2017, 6:12pm; Reply: 3
Errr Buckle? And no...
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, January 29, 2017, 6:49pm; Reply: 4
Sorry Einstein it was a mistake it should be Buckley and err YES.
Posted by: coddy60, January 29, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 5
Tillson, Dave Smith and Donovan are all i remember, elaborate if you will
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, January 29, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 6
Then you weren't really around were you.
Posted by: coddy60, February 10, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 7
Yeah, I was around plenty thanks, you arrogant twit, I asked you a simple question which you chose not to answer though, anybody feel like they can fill me in on the others though, coz I cant remember them....
Posted by: sam gy, February 10, 2017, 5:14pm; Reply: 8
Gary Childs and Craig Shakespeare both played under him at Walsall i believe?

Stacy Coldicott from West Brom.
Posted by: sam gy, February 10, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 9
Ashcroft from West Brom too?

Not getting involved in the argument btw, just killing time, hah.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 10, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 10
Ashcroft from P.N.E.
Posted by: sam gy, February 10, 2017, 5:55pm; Reply: 11
Aye, we signed him from PNE but he was at West Brom before them, with Buckley.
Posted by: lee65, February 10, 2017, 6:17pm; Reply: 12
Wasn't Kevin Donovan from WBA?
Posted by: wigworld, February 10, 2017, 6:27pm; Reply: 13
I couldn't care less, as long as they give their all. The days when footballers played for the place they grew up are behind us.
Posted by: Numanoid, February 10, 2017, 8:28pm; Reply: 14
I do believe that most of the players mentioned if not all did actually live in the area though, again I might be wrong but I think Buckley requested it
Posted by: coddy60, February 10, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 15
Thanks for the answers.
So weve established he brought a few in he previously worked with, hardly qualifies as largely though....
Posted by: Rik e B, February 10, 2017, 10:21pm; Reply: 16
Biggie said for this window we were going to go for player's worked with before/know all about for fast integration. But this wont always be the case
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 10, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from lee65
Wasn't Kevin Donovan from WBA?

He was. Managers like to sign people they know they can rely on. Completely natural thing to do.

Buckley also signed Paul Groves 3 times. Twice for us and once for West Brom. Dave Gilbert twice (us and WBA again).  And he also took Tony Rees, Paul Agnew, Arthur Mann (RIP) and a rusty old trawler* to WBA.

* I think I've still got an old copy of GrortyDick with it on the cover.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 10, 2017, 11:11pm; Reply: 18
He brought Gilbert back here on a month's loan too, KM, at the start of 97/98.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 10, 2017, 11:16pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Abdul19
He brought Gilbert back here on a month's loan too, KM, at the start of 97/98.

Bloody hell. I don't remember that at all.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 10, 2017, 11:52pm; Reply: 20
I can remember him playing in that Oldham game when Lester scored a 20 second hat-trick. That's about it!
Posted by: LH, February 11, 2017, 12:02am; Reply: 21
Had no idea I'd seen him play for Town until I checked Soccerbase and seen he'd played in that Oldham game. (I was 7 at the time so can be excused - my first game was Aug 96 vs Leeds.)

Remember that game fairly well considering my age. Me and me dad sat towards the Osmond end of the Findus.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, February 11, 2017, 12:36am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Numanoid
I hope I'm wrong but it seems that we are becoming a car pool team who don't really care about our town and people like Macca maybe Dis who live in the area being made surplus to requirements.at least Pearson seems to fit the mould.... For now anyway. Like I say I hope I'm wrong!

First point is not unreasonable and an easily verifiable fact if anyone were inclined a) to check, and b) be bothered.

The second is a wildly uninformed conjecture with no basis in fact.  In layman's terms, a load of old bull-excrement.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 11, 2017, 12:37am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Abdul19
I can remember him playing in that Oldham game when Lester scored a 20 second hat-trick. That's about it!

Really? Bloody hell.
Posted by: Kris2, February 11, 2017, 2:02am; Reply: 24
As long as they are performing on the pitch and showing some desire what difference does it make if they settle locally or not? Would you like to uproot yourself and your family each time you get a new job? It's like "Oh I got a new job where I need to commute 2 hours there and back or I can move there,sell the house,move the kids to a new school leaving all their friends behind and be away from family".

I'm sure there will be somebody like "I was in a military family, I moved house 180 times and I turned out fine. Anyone playing for this club must live locally and rub shoulders with real Grimberians to learn the Grimsby pride, make em work down the docks and get the smell of fish on em that'll let them know what being in Grimsby is all about good honest hard working locals"
Posted by: mariner83, February 11, 2017, 8:24am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Numanoid
I do believe that most of the players mentioned if not all did actually live in the area though, again I might be wrong but I think Buckley requested it

I seem to remember this too - Jack Lester didn't have to move from Sheffield though?

I guess nowadays with shorter contracts it's a bit more of an ask to get them to move to the area especially if they have families/kids in school?
Posted by: toontown, February 11, 2017, 9:46am; Reply: 26
It was the board that in 88 asked the manager to move to the area. I remember furneaux saying that a willingness to move to the area was felt to be an important sign of commitment. I think they also wanted players to move to the area as well to help build team spirit. It was pre-bosman so players tended to stay with one club for longer, so it wasn't as much of an ask as it would be today.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 11, 2017, 10:53am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Abdul19

That's amazing. I'm surprised Oldham  managed to have time to kick off twice during those 20 seconds.  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

That's amazing. I'm surprised Oldham  managed to have time to kick off twice during those 20 seconds.  ;)

The worst thing about it was I was in the bog ;)
Posted by: Chris Packit, February 11, 2017, 2:19pm; Reply: 29
One question: why would anyone, footballer or not, choose to live in Grimsby if they didn't have to? Also, how do you define 'locally '? Is Market Rasen local? Lincoln? Scunthorpe? It's an unenforceable policy to make all players live 'locally'
Posted by: easypeersy, February 11, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 30
The players will be able to get her quick enough in their helicopters when we get the new stadium with it's helipad.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from easypeersy
The players will be able to get her quick enough in their helicopters when we get the new stadium with it's helipad.

Let's get realistic here, they'll all chip in together and arrive at PP in an old Fokker  :)          

Taxi............. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Yf5B6GbYk
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 10:17pm