Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Perkins, January 15, 2017, 1:42pm
Just heard the sad news that Ex Town legend Clarrie Williams has passed away. A nicer man you couldn't meet. RIP Clarrie.
For anyone who doesn't remember Clarrie,
http://grimsbynews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/a-mariners-legend-clarrie-williams.html
Posted by: Chris Packit, January 15, 2017, 1:45pm; Reply: 1
Town's goalie when I started following them. Don't get footballers called Clarence these days. Must've been a good age?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 15, 2017, 1:50pm; Reply: 2
Another sad loss. RIP Clarrie.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 15, 2017, 2:03pm; Reply: 3
There were a few games where Clarrie was in goal and his brother Derek was at CF.

He was just coming to the end of his time at Grimsby when I first watched the Town. RIP Clarrie.
Posted by: Chips44, January 15, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 4
RIP Carrie. He was the goalkeeper when I started watching Town too. I was a young lad and I used to stand behind the goal in the Osmond Stand.Does anyone remember how the kids used to throw him sweets,and he would collect them up and put them in his cap? A great player and a lovely much loved man .
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 15, 2017, 2:52pm; Reply: 5
Met Clarrie a few times recently and despite his illnesses was a true gent and had GTFC in his blood. Thoughts go to his wife and family.

RIP Clarrie
Posted by: oldun, January 15, 2017, 2:58pm; Reply: 6
Clarrie was a good goalkeeper and well liked. In his thick woolly goalie's jersey, long shorts, leather boots with laces which went several times round his foot before being tied. Always wore a cap when he was facing the sun. No fancy gloves just regular ones. He also played when centre forwards could shoulder charge the keeper. Yes you are right he used to gather up a collection of sweets thrown from the crowd. All done for a few bob a week. Great memories RIP.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), January 15, 2017, 5:58pm; Reply: 7
Before my time but a pleasure to read this.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 15, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 8
Didnt see him play but grew up across the road from him and just knew that he used to play for town. Nice guy. RIP
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 15, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 97
Before my time but a pleasure to read this.

I echo that.

RIP  Clarrie Williams

Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 15, 2017, 8:18pm; Reply: 10
Like a few others before my time, RIP & condolences to his family.

You know, once you have been a hard working honest player for GTFC you are never forgotten.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 15, 2017, 9:52pm; Reply: 11
Found this from a couple of years back. Tells you a lot about the bloke's character.

[url]http://grimsbynews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/a-mariners-legend-clarrie-williams.html[/url]
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 15, 2017, 10:22pm; Reply: 12
Clarrie was a really nice bloke,

He was in goal when I  started watching town and trainer when I played for the juniors,

RIP  Clarrie a true gent.
Posted by: Harry Haddock, January 15, 2017, 11:25pm; Reply: 13
I can't believe anybody would red cross these posts ! Some people have no respect.
No doubt the same sad people will red-cross me now

Anyway, RIP Clarrie. Such a nice guy. You'll be missed.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 16, 2017, 4:55am; Reply: 14
R,I.P. Great write up about a GTFC keeper my old man use to always be telling me about.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 16, 2017, 6:27am; Reply: 15
RIP Clarrie, he was in goal when I started supporting the Mariners too.

Condolences to his family.
Posted by: sonik, January 16, 2017, 8:24am; Reply: 16
Really saddened by this. I went to school with his two sons Steve and Mike. Grew up with them and what a lovely man Clarrie was. Condolences to Pat all the family and friends that are hurting at this sad time.

RIP Clarrie.  A true Mariner.

UTM x
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 16, 2017, 10:02am; Reply: 17
Come on then - who's the sicko red crossing posts on this thread.

Some of us remember Clarrie (just!) and others have been fortunate enough to meet him and we're paying respect to an ex-Mariner and a really nice bloke to boot.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 16, 2017, 3:15pm; Reply: 18
Rip My great uncle told me about him when i was a kid
Posted by: Grimsby2012, January 16, 2017, 4:12pm; Reply: 19
This is why the tick box should be taken off here. Too many c$unts who use it for no other reason than to cause problems.
Posted by: mariner83, January 16, 2017, 4:47pm; Reply: 20
Found this from a couple of years back. Tells you a lot about the bloke's character.

[url]http://grimsbynews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/a-mariners-legend-clarrie-williams.html[/url]

RIP Clarrie

He played before my time, but that was an interesting read.  Thanks for posting.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 18, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 21

There will be a minute's applause for former player Clarrie Williams ahead of Saturday's Sky Bet League Two fixture with Notts County.
Posted by: essexexile, January 18, 2017, 2:46pm; Reply: 22
We used to throw sweets to Harry Wainman as well
Posted by: Grumps, January 18, 2017, 3:51pm; Reply: 23
R.I.P. Clarrie
Posted by: DawlishMariner, January 20, 2017, 10:46am; Reply: 24
The last of the team that I remember seeing play at Blundell Park.
But I did move away from Grimsby in 1954, aged seven!
R I P.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 5:12am