Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Simariner, January 11, 2017, 12:54pm
Never been...

Had a couple of lessons at Xscape..

Going in under 3 weeks time (Bansko - Bulgaria)    :o

Any tips....?   (Not the don't eat yellow snow one  :P )
Posted by: Maringer, January 11, 2017, 1:21pm; Reply: 1
Try not to turn your knees inside-out. Also, accept that you're going to be spending a lot of time falling onto your posterior.

Other than that, it's great fun.
Posted by: somersetmariner, January 11, 2017, 3:14pm; Reply: 2
Don't worry too much about lessons in the uk ....but when you get to your place sign up for a begginers course .....lessons In the morning , living it up in the afternoon, enjoy ! Its one of life's best experiences :)
Posted by: somersetmariner, January 11, 2017, 3:18pm; Reply: 3
Oh and its all about leaning forward and pressing your shins a little bit into your ski boots to get balance...... There is a wall squat exercise you can do to strengthen the thighs.....its all about the thigh burn man !
Posted by: Simariner, January 11, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 4
Got 2-3 hour lessons each morning I believe.  

By brain was telling me that leaning forward whilst going downhill did not really work.....  

But it really does ha

After day 2 I may be walking like John Wayne and hitting the hot-tub and beer  :)
Posted by: Simariner, January 11, 2017, 3:20pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from somersetmariner
Oh and its all about leaning forward and pressing your shins a little bit into your ski boots to get balance...... There is a wall squat exercise you can do to strengthen the thighs.....its all about the thigh burn man !

Been doing the wall sits...   I'm on 2min30 secs now....   Couldn't even do a minute a few weeks back,.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 11, 2017, 6:08pm; Reply: 6
Great for burning off the calories. Especially when you first start skiing.
Posted by: Biccys, January 30, 2017, 9:28pm; Reply: 7
I'm going to Borovets on Saturday! Fourth time we'll have been there, absolutely love it but take it from me, you'll be in agony for 2 days but then it gets less painful. Best advice I can give you is probably what's been said already, lean forwards! Snow plough hurts like stink so don't be disheartened by it. When you start doing parallel it gets a bit easier!
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 2, 2017, 9:24am; Reply: 8
If anyone gets the chance to snowboard, I'd recommend it. More difficult to pick up than skiing but it's great fun.
Posted by: Simariner, February 6, 2017, 11:23am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Biccys
I'm going to Borovets on Saturday! Fourth time we'll have been there, absolutely love it but take it from me, you'll be in agony for 2 days but then it gets less painful. Best advice I can give you is probably what's been said already, lean forwards! Snow plough hurts like stink so don't be disheartened by it. When you start doing parallel it gets a bit easier!

First full day back in the office.  Wow!!  Loved every minute of it!!
Never Skied before and by the end of the week I was doing parallel turns with ease and it really is easier on your knees and legs.
Ended up doing a few red runs and one black run which was scary but smashed it.

Apart from a few bumps and bruises we all came back injury free  :)
Posted by: somersetmariner, February 8, 2017, 4:05pm; Reply: 10
Nice one Si ! pleased you had a good one !!

Posted by: moosey_club, February 8, 2017, 4:41pm; Reply: 11
ruined all the cool peoples holiday though by clogging up the mountain on your two planks...... ;)  

Come to the dark side......(starwars).......
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 8, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Simariner
Never been...

Had a couple of lessons at Xscape..

Going in under 3 weeks time (Bansko - Bulgaria)    :o

Any tips....?   (Not the don't eat yellow snow one  :P )

Picked a leaflet up from there a couple of times but never followed it through, it's something I've never done but would love to try.
Just worried I'm a bit too old to start at 58.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 11:03am