Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 3, 2017, 7:57am
Obviously not missed after that performance but whats the deal with james. Not in the matchday squad again and venney on the subs bench. Is he injured or just out of favour atm
Posted by: Davec, January 3, 2017, 7:58am; Reply: 1
Hopefully Paul Hurst wants to sign him ;)

Or If not Hurst anybody will do
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 3, 2017, 8:19am; Reply: 2
I thought Berrett was very good at Plymouth and at home to Carlisle but utterly useless since. Probably out of favour was totally ineffective against Pompey and Donny. He might be trying to give youth a chance with Venney
Posted by: oldun, January 3, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 3
Just his turn not to be involved. Others have had spells on the sidelines. Berrett has had time in the team. MB has said he is having a look at all  of his squad.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, January 3, 2017, 9:18am; Reply: 4
Mb has said his gave everyone barring dan jones a good chance in the team, i disagree with that though i dont think browne has had much of a chance either to be honest hopefully he gets some game time.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 3, 2017, 9:20am; Reply: 5
Yesterday was an indication of his worth to the club - Squad player!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 3, 2017, 9:34am; Reply: 6
To me, he looked unfit in the warm up before The Portsmouth game
Posted by: MarinerDevil, January 3, 2017, 9:40am; Reply: 7
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Mb has said his gave everyone barring dan jones a good chance in the team, i disagree with that though i dont think browne has had much of a chance either to be honest hopefully he gets some game time.

Browne is on compassionate leave, so we won't be seeing him until later in the season.  Think MB did need to take a look at the entire squad and I think he is closer to deciding on a settled 11.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2017, 9:54am; Reply: 8
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Browne is on compassionate leave, so we won't be seeing him until later in the season.  Think MB did need to take a look at the entire squad and I think he is closer to deciding on a settled 11.

I agree he is heading toward a settled 11, but i think that 11 will include new signings, dependent upon on which of his targets he can get in. Clearly some will have to go out of the club at some point and the way Berrett has been performing, he could be one of them. He has a 2 year deal though, so it would have to be a transfer or long loan. Who knows, he may come good and surprise us.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, January 3, 2017, 9:58am; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree he is heading toward a settled 11, but i think that 11 will include new signings, dependent upon on which of his targets he can get in. Clearly some will have to go out of the club at some point and the way Berrett has been performing, he could be one of them. He has a 2 year deal though, so it would have to be a transfer or long loan. Who knows, he may come good and surprise us.

Contracts, of course, can be mutually terminated if the situation isn't working out for both the club and player.  They're not immutable.

I think Berrett will be useful for us should we intend to keep him for the length of his contract.
Posted by: oldun, January 3, 2017, 9:59am; Reply: 10
I don't know about a settled 11. MB has made it clear that those on the bench are an integral part of the "team"  and that it is the squad that is important. We need to get used to changes which is fine so long as those in the squad can adapt to the way he wants to play.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 11
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Contracts, of course, can be mutually terminated if the situation isn't working out for both the club and player.  They're not immutable.

I think Berrett will be useful for us should we intend to keep him for the length of his contract.

Think JF has had enough of paying off contracts early and i imagine it wouldn't be cheap to do so on one that still has a season and half to run. Berrett could just sit and collect his wages theoretically, although that wouldn't do him much good at this stage of his career. All speculation anyway, as he may be in the managers plans for all we know.
Posted by: sam gy, January 3, 2017, 10:15am; Reply: 12
Yup, wouldn't take someone not being in a match day squad as meaning their days are up. Yesterday being a case in point - look at Andrew Boyce, and our starting line up.

It's clear we're going to chop and change dependent on the opposition for which we will need to utilise the majority of our squad, which i know sometimes doesn't go down well on here ("just play your best 11" / "we should be concentrating on ur strengths not the opposition!, etc). But this is just the way football is now, and we need to adapt. I'm all for it.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2017, 10:33am; Reply: 13
Quoted from sam gy
Yup, wouldn't take someone not being in a match day squad as meaning their days are up. Yesterday being a case in point - look at Andrew Boyce, and our starting line up.

It's clear we're going to chop and change dependent on the opposition for which we will need to utilise the majority of our squad, which i know sometimes doesn't go down well on here ("just play your best 11" / "we should be concentrating on ur strengths not the opposition!, etc). But this is just the way football is now, and we need to adapt. I'm all for it.

But it's also the case that we simply can't afford to have too many players hanging around. MB has already said the squad is bigger than he wants and he is now bringing in more players, so some will have to go out of the set up at some point.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 3, 2017, 11:14am; Reply: 14
Summerfield has done better than Berrett, but if MB can line up two better replacements and we can offload both, I think it's time to ditch Hurst's York City "experiment".
Posted by: golfer, January 3, 2017, 12:59pm; Reply: 15
Sorry to disagree Bigdog but I think we ought to hang on to Summerfield. His work rate can't be questioned and the last few games have shown a vast improvement.  Berrett on the other hand has been non-existent in most of his games and if he were to move it would most likely be beneficial to the team and himself..
Posted by: Garth, January 3, 2017, 1:06pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from golfer
Sorry to disagree Bigdog but I think we ought to hang on to Summerfield. His work rate can't be questioned and the last few games have shown a vast improvement.  Berrett on the other hand has been non-existent in most of his games and if he were to move it would most likely be beneficial to the team and himself..

Keep Summerfield but release Berrett by using the funds from Shrewsbury for Hurst
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 3, 2017, 1:27pm; Reply: 17
Berrett came into the side and was by a distance our worst outfield player it could be argued he was out of position but clearly not good enough for a starting place on what we saw.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 3, 2017, 1:39pm; Reply: 18
I take it none of you went to Plymouth or Bolton then. Where Berrett and Summerfield were both excellent. When Summerfield doesn't play one of those balls across the back 4 you normally look back on the game and think that Summerfield was excellent. Berrett isn't poor often but is usually anonymous. I'd get rid of Berrett given the choice, but we need numbers so wouldn't get rid of either.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 3, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Bigdog
Summerfield has done better than Berrett, but if MB can line up two better replacements and we can offload both, I think it's time to ditch Hurst's York City "experiment".

Thought it was common sense that if we could get two better replacements for two players that we've already got, it would improve us.

I'll try and explain myself more fully about Summerfield rather than a cheap York City soundbite.

In my playing days, for about three seasons my team came up against a team based in the midlands. They had this player in central midfield that dominated their possession. More touches than any other in their team. On the face of it, initially he looked a half decent player. Plenty of give-and-gos, spreading the ball left and right. First impression the first twenty minutes I saw him was, he's not a bad little player but the penny dropped, for all his efforts he wasn't killing us. Very attractive to watch but playing at centre half I felt we were never under pressure. Message sent round the team to just let him have the ball in front of us. We beat this team for four or five matches. Every time their manager was in the bar afterwards enthusing how good this player was. One year he was injured, his replacement was not as good on the ball but was stronger and more direct. he actually asked more questions than the other guy, they played a different way, were more solid without the ball and suddenly other players in their team seemed a lot better than they were before. We got beat, and over my playing career came up against a few players like this. Summerfield just reminds me of that type of player.

To have a midfield player who has the most touches in a team, which Summerfield does, I think he has to be one of our best players. I don't think Summerfield is consistently enough. That player has to do it pretty much every week.

I only said if we had the chance to improve on Berrett especially and Summerfield then I think MB should take it. Same goes for any position in the team, but feel central midfield is one of the areas we need to improve more urgently than most.
Posted by: golfer, January 3, 2017, 3:11pm; Reply: 20
You nearly swayed me Bigdog---but not quite  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2017, 3:20pm; Reply: 21
Playing Devil's Advocate, Summerfield has 2 goals and 1 assist. Is that a bit more persuasive to Bigdog's point about midfielders looking good but not hurting the opposition?
Posted by: Tommy, January 3, 2017, 3:28pm; Reply: 22
That's a good post bigdog.

I'd still be inclined to keep him as a squad player as he's had some good games and in my view gets an unfair amount of stick.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 3, 2017, 4:21pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

Thought it was common sense that if we could get two better replacements for two players that we've already got it would improve us.

I'll try and explain myself more fully about Summerfield than a cheap York City soundbite.

In my playing days, for about three seasons my team came up against a team based in the midlands. They had this player in central midfield that dominated their possession. More touches than any other in their team. On the face of it, initially he looked a half decent player. Plenty of give-and-gos, spreading the ball left and right. First impression the first twenty minutes I saw him was, he's not a bad little player but the penny dropped, for all his efforts he wasn't killing us. Very attractive to watch but playing at centre half I felt we were never under pressure. Message sent round the team to just let him have the ball in front of us. We beat this team for four or five matches. Every time their manager was in the bar afterwards enthusing how good this player was. One year he was injured, his replacement was not as good on the ball but was stronger and more direct. he actually asked more questions than the other guy, they played a different way, were more solid without the ball and suddenly other players in their team seemed a lot better than they were before. We got beat, and over my playing career came up against a few players like this. Summerfield just reminds me of that type of player.

To have a midfield player who has the most touches in a team, which Summerfield does, I think he has to be one of our best players. I don't think Summerfield is consistently enough. That player has to do it pretty much every week.

I only said if we had the chance to improve on Berrett especially and Summerfield then I think MB should take it. Same goes for any position in the team, but feel central midfield is one of the areas we need to improve more urgently than most.

Don't disagree Bigdog - but your description sounds exactly like pre-season Berrett. I confess I was taken in by what appeared to be excellent technique but it was against teams that were giving us time to play (Hull friendly in particular). This also applies to the Bolton game where again, they had plenty of ammunition to hurt us with but didn't play the higher tempo pressing game of Carlisle & Pompey.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 3, 2017, 8:34pm; Reply: 24
Missed the last three because of an impact injury according to Matt Dean on Twitter.
Posted by: hheh2, January 3, 2017, 9:04pm; Reply: 25
Central midfield is one of the hardest positions to play you never have a 100% success rate.

Being honest Summerfield's recent performances haven't been any different from Disley's or Comley's

and from what I've seen James Berrett is a quality player
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 3, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 26
Were you at Plymouth or Bolton, hheh2? He was excellent on both occasions.
Posted by: hheh2, January 3, 2017, 9:21pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mariner_09
Were you at Plymouth or Bolton, hheh2? He was excellent on both occasions.

I wasn't but against Derby he looked very good
Posted by: Davec, January 3, 2017, 10:59pm; Reply: 28
I've actually seen Berrett in every game he's played, every game he's played in I've been there, and in every game I still don't think he was all that good, Plymouth I thought he was alright but nothing special, same at Bolton, Even Cambridge when he scored I still thought he had a poor game, I really don't see what he offers, and I'm afraid I agree with what opposition fans think of him "mr invisible"
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 7:35am