Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HotToddy, December 5, 2016, 11:11pm
I can but i cant remember Mark Flatts http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/do-you-remember-ashley-fickling-3452102.aspx
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, December 5, 2016, 11:50pm; Reply: 1
Remember him? I've been trying to forget that own goal at Hillsborough for twenty years.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 6, 2016, 7:35am; Reply: 2
Quoted from HotToddy

Unfortunately I remember both. Bloody useless the pair of them. Mind you not as bad as that white lad we had on loan from Chelsea around the same time.he was utter gash. Nichols?  Having said that we would probably have thought they were world beaters in the time of  newell and  woods
Posted by: Abdul19, December 6, 2016, 8:58am; Reply: 3
Flatts signed on the same day as Tony Gallimore.

I'm now out of Flatts facts (Flactts?)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 6, 2016, 9:29am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Abdul19

I think Flatts was supposed to be a pacey winger and we got a couple of cameo sub appearances but we had better players already?
Posted by: PPMariner, December 6, 2016, 9:53am; Reply: 5
Ashley Fickling wasn't that bad. Now, different story if we're talking Vance Warner
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 6, 2016, 10:16am; Reply: 6
Quoted from PPMariner
Ashley Fickling wasn't that bad. Now, different story if we're talking Vance Warner

I will raise you your Vance Warner with a bit of Trevor (Slack by name slack by nature)
Posted by: GTFC_85, December 6, 2016, 10:46am; Reply: 7
Quoted from forza ivano

Unfortunately I remember both. Bloody useless the pair of them. Mind you not as bad as that white lad we had on loan from Chelsea around the same time.he was utter gash. Nichols?  Having said that we would probably have thought they were world beaters in the time of  newell and  woods

He was crap although he did win us a penalty on his debut in front of the pontoon IIRC?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 6, 2016, 11:06am; Reply: 8
Yep, Nicholls won a penalty against Palace

Wasn't it also he who was punched by Wolves'; Muscat?
Posted by: RoboCod, December 6, 2016, 11:13am; Reply: 9
Flatts was bollocked by Laws for being a big time charlie, on loan form Arsenal and not bothering to do stuff like turn up for training. Sent home with his ears ringing, never (to my knowledge) to be heard of again.
Posted by: Maringer, December 6, 2016, 11:25am; Reply: 10
I seem to think Flatts went completely AWOL and Arsenal ditched him soon afterwards.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 6, 2016, 11:28am; Reply: 11
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Yep, Nicholls won a penalty against Palace

Wasn't it also he who was punched by Wolves'; Muscat?

That was him.
Posted by: Kris2, December 6, 2016, 12:50pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GTFC_85

He was crap although he did win us a penalty on his debut in front of the pontoon IIRC?

Was pretty much all he did besides run around. Before then he'd played some european cup games and notched up a few appearances for Chelsea coming to us was pretty much the beginning of the end for his career. Before he came to us he was at Reading and they wanted to bring him in permanently but Chelsea wanted more money than they were willing to pay.  Dropped down the leagues before bouncing around non league teams and being known for several incidents of violent conduct. Oh and I think he went bald so he couldn't have those silly 90's curtains anymore.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 6, 2016, 3:48pm; Reply: 13
flatts last heard of at Bishops Stortford, although did find this rather bizarre video, which i presume is one and the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHwOmtOccbs
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 6, 2016, 7:29pm; Reply: 14
I thought Ashley Fickling was a bit of Yarkshire dialect. 'Ahs tha fettling Ashley?' 'Fickling ar Norris. Fickling.'
Posted by: moosey_club, December 6, 2016, 7:33pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19

"we've signed Platt and Collimore !! Jeez...."
"err no.. Flatts and Gallimore"...
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, December 6, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 16
I don't remember Fickling being bad.  Had some good moments.  We were probably a bit spoiled by having Futch and Richard Smith in a relatively short timeframe; cool ball-playing centre halves.  Fickling seemed to have a bit of that about him, but it never really worked out.
Posted by: Maringer, December 6, 2016, 10:54pm; Reply: 17
I seem to remember that Fickling's problems were that he was a bit of a jack of all trades as a defender. Not really tall enough to play centre-half, not really quick enough to play full-back but OK as cover for both roles.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 6, 2016, 11:04pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
I don't remember Fickling being bad.  Had some good moments.  We were probably a bit spoiled by having Futch and Richard Smith in a relatively short timeframe; cool ball-playing centre halves.  Fickling seemed to have a bit of that about him, but it never really worked out.

And Andy Tillson just prior to Futch arriving..
Posted by: Maringer, December 7, 2016, 9:57am; Reply: 19
And, though he often looked a bit panicked when in possession, Mark Lever was a pretty good defender as well.
Posted by: sam gy, December 7, 2016, 10:07am; Reply: 20
Just gonna chuck Peter Handyside's name in there too. Ahhh...the 90's.
Posted by: Maringer, December 7, 2016, 10:38am; Reply: 21
The number of times I saw Handyside out in Cleethorpes absolutely pished out of his mind when he was out with injuries...

The professional game was a bit different back in those days!
Posted by: sam gy, December 7, 2016, 10:43am; Reply: 22
Indeed! What a player though. It's weird with him...he's one of the only players of that era that doesn't seem to get mentioned as much....not sure what happened to him after football, and i don't *think* he's ever attended any of the reunion events, or chairman's challenges etc, like a lot of the other ex players.

Guess some players just don't fancy that stuff after retirement!
Posted by: RoboCod, December 7, 2016, 10:48am; Reply: 23
Quoted from sam gy
Just gonna chuck Peter Handyside's name in there too. Ahhh...the 90's.

Richard Smith and Ian Knight (injuries considered) were pretty darned good too.....sigh...
Posted by: forza ivano, December 7, 2016, 11:57am; Reply: 24
Quoted from sam gy
Indeed! What a player though. It's weird with him...he's one of the only players of that era that doesn't seem to get mentioned as much....not sure what happened to him after football, and i don't *think* he's ever attended any of the reunion events, or chairman's challenges etc, like a lot of the other ex players.

Since retiring from professional football Handyside has worked as a delivery driver for Gilberts Furniture on the Fenton Industrial Estate in Stoke on Trent. In December 2013 Handyside's daughter was diagnosed with leukaemia, and in 2014 she launched her own campaign named "Maia's Misson".[5]  from wiki
Posted by: Garth, December 8, 2016, 10:04am; Reply: 25
Quoted from sam gy

He was at BP about a year ago along with a few others Phil Hubbard being one and was introduced to the crowd at half time, unless I live in a parallel world
Posted by: sam gy, December 8, 2016, 10:24am; Reply: 26
Ah right, must've missed that one!
Posted by: RichMariner, December 9, 2016, 1:05am; Reply: 27
Absolutely loved Handyside when I was growing up! While everyone wanted to be Mendonca in lunchtime games of football at school (if it wasn't a Manu or Liverpool player) I was happy sitting at the back, with my mate in goal. We were the only two who didn't go forward trying to score in games that finished with basketball scores!

I thought Handyside was a quality footballer first, defender second. I've not seen many centre halves like him since.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 7:32am