Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: cjbill, October 24, 2016, 11:22am
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/gtfc-statement-paul-hurst-3380599.aspx

Gone with Doig. Moore as caretaker
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 24, 2016, 11:23am; Reply: 1

"Following an official approach by Shrewsbury Town over the weekend and the agreement as to compensation which would be payable,  Grimsby Town F C gave permission for Shrewsbury to speak to Paul Hurst with regard to the vacant manager’s position at Shrewsbury.

Agreement has been reached between Shrewsbury and Paul Hurst who has been appointed manager.

We wish to place on record our thanks to Paul for all he has done for the Club since his appointment in March 2011. He will forever be remembered as the manager who successfully saw the return of this Club to the Football League. He leaves the Club in a strong position and we wish him well for the future.

Assistant manager Chris Doig will be joining Paul at Shrewsbury and again we thank Chris for his work for the Club.Our attention now turns to the appointment of a successor and work has already started on this.

In the interim Dave Moore has agreed to act as caretaker manager and we are grateful to Dave for once again stepping into this role."
Posted by: marinerrick, October 24, 2016, 11:23am; Reply: 2
i notice the OS have made a statement now about PH going taking CD with him and DM caretaker manager.thanks for everything PH and good luck and Lets now forget PH and get back to winning ways with the squad that we have. UTM
Posted by: marinerrick, October 24, 2016, 11:24am; Reply: 3
i wrote the same thing as you at the same time by the looks of things
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 24, 2016, 11:26am; Reply: 4
Quoted from cjbill

How can Doig be caretaker when he has also gone?

Posted by: cjbill, October 24, 2016, 11:27am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

How can Doig be caretaker when he has also gone?

Didn't write it clear enough. Edited now :)
Posted by: Hagrid, October 24, 2016, 11:28am; Reply: 6
Get beyond Moorey and the team, thanks Paul but the way you've gone about your departure has left a very bitter taste, big game Saturday, lets focus on that
Posted by: 97 (Guest), October 24, 2016, 11:29am; Reply: 7
It was a loveless marriage with very little sex.
Posted by: cjbill, October 24, 2016, 11:29am; Reply: 8
Thank you Paul for bringing stability to our club and bringing us promotion.

Now let's get someone in who can continue to help us progress. UTM!
Posted by: Tinymariner, October 24, 2016, 11:30am; Reply: 9
Exciting times ahead, yes uncertain, but exciting all the same. We have some great players at this club and they will all be trying to impress the new gaffer, whoever that is. Come on fellow mariners, let's get behind the club and show any potential managers just who GTFC are. UTM.
Posted by: jaygy, October 24, 2016, 11:35am; Reply: 10
Quoted from cjbill
Thank you Paul for bringing stability to our club and bringing us promotion.

Now let's get someone in who can continue to "keep us shape" . UTM!

Edited 😉
Posted by: chicaneuk, October 24, 2016, 11:37am; Reply: 11
I guess in my heart I'm glad - I feel like there's always been some underlying problem that has meant the team has never quite gelled 100%, what with some mysterious departures last season and the sheer number of players dumped after we won promotion, not to mention the horrendous inconsistency.

But that's not to say we don't owe a debt of thanks to PH for getting us back into the league, and for making some excellent signings.

Good look at Shrewsbury, Paul. Thanks for making fans proud of the club again.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 11:40am; Reply: 12
At least we're getting some money back. RH didn't cost anything to dismiss either. The days of spending thousands paying people off are behind us.
Posted by: Maringer, October 24, 2016, 11:47am; Reply: 13
I feel that we've always been one or two players away from being a really good team under Hurst. I think, perhaps, a lot of this was that we didn't have the budget to compete with the biggest spenders and so tended to have too many players signed as permanent stop-gaps, so to speak!

On the other hand, you rarely felt that the team was ever greater than the sum of its parts. We've never been particularly fluent going forward except in fits and starts, we've tended to lack pace in midfield and (until this season) in attack. The lack of real quality or variety in our set piece delivery continues to absolutely do my head in.

Hurst is a decent, if conservative, manager and will probably have a solid career in the lower divisions, but he's certainly lacking that something extra that the best managers are able to bring to a team.

Only problem is that it seems to be difficult to find these very good managers these days. I think most of the names mentioned already (Madkins et al) wouldn't contemplate dropping down to a League Two club. So, where do we go from here? Haven't the faintest clue.
Posted by: jaygy, October 24, 2016, 11:53am; Reply: 14
Good luck to him, he definitely steadied the ship and has a great eye for a player but I think he owes a lot of last seasons success to operation promotion and us finally getting a rub of the green at the right time. We stumbled over the line into the playoffs, a Braintree player handed us one hell of a lifeline and then the player whose purchase was enabled by OP then pops up with 3 very important goals to secure promotion.

He has been a steady manager and I have supported him fully for the last 5+ years but I can't really say I am too disappointed by this as his clear lack of a tactical brain has been the reason I have seen so many poor performances over that time.

I just hope we get an attack minded manager who can bring some exciting times back to BP. Over to you now Mr Fenty & co, you have a big task on your hands......don't f**k this opportunity up!!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 24, 2016, 11:58am; Reply: 15
Quoted from chicaneuk
I guess in my heart I'm glad - I feel like there's always been some underlying problem that has meant the team has never quite gelled 100%, what with some mysterious departures last season and the sheer number of players dumped after we won promotion, not to mention the horrendous inconsistency.

But that's not to say we don't owe a debt of thanks to PH for getting us back into the league, and for making some excellent signings.

Good look at Shrewsbury, Paul. Thanks for making fans proud of the club again.

Exactly my thoughts too.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, October 24, 2016, 12:00pm; Reply: 16
All the best to him. We were a mid-table Conference team when we came in and we're not a competitive League Two side again so he's done the job and managed to bounce back from several agonising defeats to do.

Didn't expect him to leave quite so soon and expected him to go to a club in a better position than Shrewsbury but at the end of the day, it is a step up (for the time being at least) and maybe he just wanted a fresh challenge after six years.

I'm quite excited now actually. Love a good managerial merry-go-round. Just hope we can get the right man in.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 24, 2016, 12:11pm; Reply: 17
In his time at town he brought a culture of professionalism on the playing side that we hadn't really seen in the recent years before. His teams could never be accused of lacking in effort and he never blamed his players when things went wrong. He's a bit tactically naive on occasion but is a real winner and Shrewsbury is likely to be a stepping stone.

Now though questions need to be asked of the club as to why we lost our manager to flipping Shrewsbury?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2016, 12:17pm; Reply: 18
Sometimes a change is good for all concerned. People get stale and PH hinted at that at the end of the season. He freshened up the playing squad and now we have the opportunity to freshen up the management. The football had become rather stale over the last few weeks, after a promising start. I see it as an opportunity rather than a set back but then i've never been the biggest PH fan. He deserved this season to settle into league management but has decided he wants to do that somewhere else. He is clearly ambitious and sees this as an opportunity to better himself, even if we don't. He clearly wants to work his way to a top job and sometimes that can be achieved by what others see as a sideways move. If nothing else, he was always honest and hard working and so were his teams, which is what we needed at the time and what the Shrews need now.

The next step is to get in the right fit for this club; something which is easier said than done but we recruit from a good position and that will be attractive to management candidates. Not many managers come into a club that isn't in a relegation battle at this level of football.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2016, 12:23pm; Reply: 19
Agree with Ginny above,

Hurst did not like high scoring games,

Always happy with a 1-0 win,

At the start of this season we scored goals for fun but let a few in at the other end too,

So he stopped the other side scoring so many but in doing so he stopped us scoring as well,

I think most fans do not mind seeing the other side score,

As long as we win the game,

So I hope we get the right man in who will bring a bit of excitement back into our game.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 24, 2016, 12:24pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 97

Nailed.  ;D
Posted by: Grimal, October 24, 2016, 1:06pm; Reply: 21
OH Dear, All's not well on the Shrews forum..-------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cumbriablue
ASFC Player
cumbriablue Avatar
31 minutes ago
Post Options
Post by cumbriablue on 31 minutes ago
What a complete and utter joke this projected appointment is. From wanting an experienced manager with pedigree we opt for a former non leaguer who by the sounds of it the Grimsby fans are glad to see the back of. Some on here complained like hell when Bentley was in the frame but at least he's got more managerial experience than this clown. Sad day for our club and League 2 here we come.

Read more: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/93690/paul-hurst#ixzz4O0H34V4m
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 24, 2016, 1:10pm; Reply: 22
Hurst and Doig to hold a 2pm press conference at Shrewsbury according to their OS.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 24, 2016, 1:12pm; Reply: 23
Don't begrudge him going to a team in a higher division, don't begrudge Doig following him.

Never been Hurst's biggest fan, I think I echo the thoughts of a few others in that he always felt a bit of a nearly man in terms of what he was trying to build.  Always just missing that final piece of the jigsaw to make us a real quality side. For me that final piece was often his tactical knowledge and ability to unleash teams rather than stay cautious.

When that's all said though, he still achieved his ultimate objective and got us promoted. He leaves us in a far better position compared to six years ago.  If nothing else he sat at the helm whilst pride was restored to the team, it's too easy to forget how bloody shambolic we were previously.

It's no great secret that Hurst wanted the club to become even more professional.  Staff members like nutritionists, strength and conditioning coaches, performance analysts are essential in the modern game.  If the club are serious about progressing and not slipping back to where we came from, the penny pinching on things like this need to stop.  Hurst has every right to be going elsewhere if a club can offer that.  Moving forward this will also impact on our ability to get the right candidate in as his replacement.

i wish both Paul and Chris all the best in their move to Shrewsbury.   That said the way they've gone is poor, very poor.

I fully understand that neither could say anything on Saturday but a simple 'no comment' would have done.  We would have known what it meant but no-one gets in trouble or breaches contract by it.  For Doig to come out and give a quite frankly half arsed interview like he did was a smack in the chops.  It gave the distinct impression that he wasn't bothered as he was off elsewhere.  As for the 'I've heard nothing' line, pathetic.  You've just made a failed attempt at taking the fans who backed you for mugs.  

Hurst may well feel he owes the fans nothing as he had a love-hate relationship with them.  The problem is that relationship was only with some of them, not at all.  I put myself in the category who probably deserved the middle finger from Hurst as he leaves.  On more than one occasion I doubted his ability to get us out the Conference and called for him to be replaced. I've broad enough shoulders to ride that and admit I got it wrong.  The fans who backed him in the face of growing criticism deserved far better than what they got in the end.  

Poor all round from GTFC and the two heading to Shrewsbury.    Big lessons to be learnt, again.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 24, 2016, 1:12pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 97

To be honest though I enjoyed the playing away more so much more than what was on offer at home....just never seemed to be up for it at our place  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, October 24, 2016, 1:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Grimal
OH Dear, All's not well on the Shrews forum..-------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cumbriablue
ASFC Player
cumbriablue Avatar
31 minutes ago
Post Options
Post by cumbriablue on 31 minutes ago
What a complete and utter joke this projected appointment is. From wanting an experienced manager with pedigree we opt for a former non leaguer who by the sounds of it the Grimsby fans are glad to see the back of. Some on here complained like hell when Bentley was in the frame but at least he's got more managerial experience than this clown. Sad day for our club and League 2 here we come.

Read more: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/93690/paul-hurst#ixzz4O0H34V4m

Dont forget that message boards just contain a small vocal minority and are not representative of the true supporters feelings  ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 24, 2016, 1:25pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from moosey_club

Dont forget that message boards just contain a small vocal minority and are not representative of the true supporters feelings  ;)

I hope you've got your facts right Moosey  ;)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 24, 2016, 1:38pm; Reply: 27
In fenty we trust , never took to paul but have to be thankful he got us promoted (after five years ) anyway we move on and i have to say im not in the slightest bit bothered if that makes sense.

Strange a manager who has his team around the playoffs leaves and im more bothered that my toilet wont flush properly today.
Posted by: Garth, October 24, 2016, 2:05pm; Reply: 28
Safe to express my opinion now that the dust has settled without being accused of sour grapes.

Never was impressed with his tactical ability ie late late subs and no plan B, only in his last game in charge did he make numerous changes early, was it panicking to get the win or draw whilst on show to his new suitors.

His respect for the fans especially the traveling, left a lot to be desired and it was noticed and felt by all.

On his own admission 1-0 wins were always prefered to a 4-2 etc leading to a defensive style of play resulting in few goals being scored from out play this season.

Could not fault his workrate and choice of players, but like most managers he did have his favourites and it showed.

Glad that Doig has also gone which means a clean sweep for the new man, its quite exciting
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 24, 2016, 2:08pm; Reply: 29
interview with Paul:

[youtube]7_LcOcZbuC4[/youtube]
Posted by: acko338, October 24, 2016, 2:13pm; Reply: 30
If we are looking for someone who can achieve with low funds and good game plan then I would be looking to Lincoln and see if we can persuade them to.let us talk to tbeir manager ex Braintree. Next move up the ladder for him and what seems to be good tactics and nous would progress us further.

Adkins et all would be too costly - this man has ambition and he has turned Lincoln into promotion contenders from last season mediocrity- isn't that the right type of next manager for GTFC and not even mentioned in any betting odds ????
Posted by: Johnnyc66, October 24, 2016, 2:15pm; Reply: 31
Cheers for bringing in some good players Paul and all the best

IMO it was a flip of a coin for the past 5 seasons if we would be promoted or not.  We were never the best team in the league, but we had a lot of the best players.

He improved the playing staff year on year, each season the playing staff got better, our chances of promotion IMO didn't.  

We could have easily lost the play off semi and not even made the final, we won by luck rather than tactical acumen.  We lost at home, we got a soft penalty, Omar got his head onto a free kick.

Where would Hurst be now if we had lost? Not at Shrewsbury and possibly not at Grimsby either.

Well done Paul it came up heads this time
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 24, 2016, 2:23pm; Reply: 32
Hang on fella , theres only one jonny around here (gunfight2)(gunfight2)(2guns)(2guns)
Posted by: Johnnyc66, October 24, 2016, 2:25pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from acko338
If we are looking for someone who can achieve with low funds and good game plan then I would be looking to Lincoln and see if we can persuade them to.let us talk to tbeir manager ex Braintree. Next move up the ladder for him and what seems to be good tactics and nous would progress us further.

Adkins et all would be too costly - this man has ambition and he has turned Lincoln into promotion contenders from last season mediocrity- isn't that the right type of next manager for GTFC and not even mentioned in any betting odds ????

I cant see the Cowley brothers being tempted here Lincoln have a 3 man sport scientist team and a performance analyst as part of the backroom staff.  Isn't this what Hurst was denied, resulting in him leaving?
Posted by: Johnnyc66, October 24, 2016, 2:27pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Hang on fella , theres only one jonny around here (gunfight2)(gunfight2)(2guns)(2guns)

I have an (h) and a capital J so back off  ;D
Posted by: Garth, October 24, 2016, 2:27pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from acko338

Too soon for someone with no league experience,  there are plenty of better choices out there
Posted by: Mariners_15, October 24, 2016, 2:27pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Johnnyc66

I cant see the Cowley brothers being tempted here Lincoln have a 3 man sport scientist team and a performance analyst as part of the backroom staff.  Isn't this what Hurst was denied, resulting in him leaving?

Says it all, tin pot gimps got a better set up than us.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 24, 2016, 2:28pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Garth
Safe to express my opinion now that the dust has settled without being accused of sour grapes.

Never was impressed with his tactical ability ie late late subs and no plan B, only in his last game in charge did he make numerous changes early, was it panicking to get the win or draw whilst on show to his new suitors.

His respect for the fans especially the traveling, left a lot to be desired and it was noticed and felt by all.

On his own admission 1-0 wins were always prefered to a 4-2 etc leading to a defensive style of play resulting in few goals being scored from out play this season.

Could not fault his workrate and choice of players, but like most managers he did have his favourites and it showed.

Glad that Doig has also gone which means a clean sweep for the new man, its quite exciting

Please dont speak for 'all'
Posted by: RoboCod, October 24, 2016, 2:33pm; Reply: 38
Why Cowley? He's still to prove himself in any meaningful way, he had Braintree playing some of the most God-awful football I've ever seen, not what's required for a push to League 1 for me .
He ground out results as he knew nothing else, didn't have the courage to attack us in the P.O semis, talks absolute technical mumbo-jumbo bollox and is making lots of enemies in the Conference, I'd hope we look a lot further beyond that.
Let's go for the proven,experienced manager, let's aim high and see what can happen.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 24, 2016, 2:37pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from 97

I have no idea what the frig my marriage has got to do with all this.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2016, 2:39pm; Reply: 40
Cowley= Hurst MK2. Not for me.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, October 24, 2016, 2:50pm; Reply: 41
Don't look at managers currently with a club, we won't pay compensation when a lot of good managers out of work at present.
Posted by: Garth, October 24, 2016, 3:26pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Don't look at managers currently with a club, we won't pay compensation when a lot of good managers out of work at present.

Tin Pot thinking!  go for the best we can afford whatever the cost
Posted by: Cloudy, October 24, 2016, 3:29pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Fcukthescunts

We did last time!
Posted by: davmariner, October 24, 2016, 3:35pm; Reply: 44
We need a manager that's on the way up, not on the way down. Both Slade and Hurst were in this mould of young hungry managers looking to make a name for themselves. There are some excellent managers in the leagues below that could be excellent in the FL, but haven't been given the opportunity yet.
Posted by: MrsMariner, October 24, 2016, 4:17pm; Reply: 45
There's no doubting Hurst had a great eye for spotting talented players but could he get the best out of them once he got them here, not in my opinion he couldn't. Anyone who showed a bit too much attacking flair soon had it knocked out of them ending up on the bench or  held back with defensive duties. I'm looking forward to some one coming in and getting the best out of this talented squad and with the right appointment promotion is certainly not out of the question. whoever it is will have no immediate pressure, were sat nicely in 8th place without actually playing that well, and I would settle for mid table come the end of the season as long as we get a bit of excitement back at Blundell Park some thing to cheer about instead of walking out miserable after another defeat. UTM
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 24, 2016, 5:59pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from 97

Tut tut, you know you were spoiled, and he needed some down time to use..... cough cough, the computer   ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 24, 2016, 6:01pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Now though questions need to be asked of the club as to why we lost our manager to flipping Shrewsbury?

I wonder when Fenty will rear his head to explain that and other allegations.
Posted by: Golden fox, October 24, 2016, 6:03pm; Reply: 48
Maybe Johns doing his badges ?
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 24, 2016, 6:12pm; Reply: 49

Dave Moore didn't see it coming -

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/freeview-dave-moore-on-new-role-3381758.aspx?
Posted by: Hertsmariner, October 24, 2016, 6:18pm; Reply: 50
Another grizzly episode in the GTFC soap opera! Must buy some new worry beads as I shredded the last lot last season.....
Posted by: RoboCod, October 24, 2016, 6:26pm; Reply: 51
Hope the short term caretaker thing works out for Mooro as he's an absolute gem.
Posted by: EY Mariner, October 24, 2016, 6:31pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Garth

You don't speak for me.
Posted by: barralad, October 24, 2016, 6:41pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from EY Mariner

You don't speak for me.

Nor me. Having met him several times at service stations up and down the country he always seemed in awe of the levels fans of GTFC went to to see the team. He has always acknowledged the fans after the game.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 24, 2016, 6:49pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from barralad

Nor me. Having met him several times at service stations up and down the country he always seemed in awe of the levels fans of GTFC went to to see the team. He has always acknowledged the fans after the game.

This. I don't know how people could say otherwise 😕
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:46pm