Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: Bigdog, October 23, 2016, 8:22pm
Tried to put together a reasonable list..
Posted by: davmariner, October 23, 2016, 8:23pm; Reply: 1
Danny Cowley for me.
Posted by: Grantley, October 23, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 2
Anyone who thinks Cowley would come is deluded. Same with Evans and Adkins.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, October 23, 2016, 8:27pm; Reply: 3
Don't want Cowley, very to defensive for me, want someone who knows these leagues
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 8:28pm; Reply: 4
Steve evans.

And whoever thinks he wouldnt is deluded.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 23, 2016, 8:28pm; Reply: 5
If Evans comes in I'm ripping my season ticket in half.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 8:31pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

I know.

Why would we want a passionate succesfull manager ?
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 8:32pm; Reply: 7
I'd really like Adkins and there's no harm in trying to get him.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2016, 8:33pm; Reply: 8

What stand? We could do with a third ticket.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 23, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I know.

Why would we want a passionate succesfull manager ?

Successful at Boston?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2016, 8:39pm; Reply: 10
I wouldn't say no to O'Driscoll, Adkins or Evans. Some one like Bignot could do a good job but could also fail miserably.  Think we need an experienced league manager at this stage.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 23, 2016, 8:41pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings
I wouldn't say no to O'Driscoll, Adkins or Evans. Some one like Bignot could do a good job but could also fail miserably.  Think we need an experienced league manager at this stage.

I'd be happy with any one of those three too Ginny..
Posted by: Mariner93er, October 23, 2016, 8:43pm; Reply: 12
To be honest, this is why i dreaded hurst leaving. May not have been the most exciting chap, but a safe per of hands. Theres a great unpredixtably in the calibre of new manager we'll bring in, and how well theyll do.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 23, 2016, 8:44pm; Reply: 13
Fenty would want Adkins to be manager and physio  ,

He could then pay the current rate by saving Dave Moore's wages.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, October 23, 2016, 8:46pm; Reply: 14
Come on Fenty pick the right one again move us even more forward
Posted by: Corkyefes, October 23, 2016, 8:53pm; Reply: 15

Successful at Boston?

Won two promotions with Boston, one into the football league.

Also won two promotions with Crawley and two with Rotherham.

Managed 4 clubs and got all four promoted. So yes, I would say successful.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2016, 8:54pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mariner93er
To be honest, this is why i dreaded hurst leaving. May not have been the most exciting chap, but a safe per of hands. Theres a great unpredixtably in the calibre of new manager we'll bring in, and how well theyll do.

But it's also an opportunity to be more than "safe". There are no guarantees and players and managers come and go all the time. The fact that we haven't sacked him is a sign we are actually heading in the right direction and not floundering in the relegation zone. Better managers than him have left us in the past but usually for reasons you could understand. I don't get the move to the Shrews myself, no offence to them.

If he has indeed gone that is.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 23, 2016, 8:55pm; Reply: 17
Nigel Adkins for his enthusiastic progressive approach, with Craig Disley as player  / coach. Wondered about Craig's selection yesterday and thought it could be to do with club continuity, rather than Craig's form.

Sounds good to me.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, October 23, 2016, 8:57pm; Reply: 18
For the first time, am not worried about the next appointment of manager things are looking up
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2016, 9:00pm; Reply: 19
I am your next manager-There are rumours about me that might be true, I am in trouble for opening my mouth, I am prepared to take a big pay cut, I have played in blue and white,I have been known to score a few goals, I am a clever male private,I am often in the shake up. If you think I'd come to Grimsby you lot are frucking crackers I'm going to Shrewsbury
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 23, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Corkyefes

And in the process almost killing Boston.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from golfer
I am your next manager-There are rumours about me that might be true, I am in trouble for opening my mouth, I am prepared to take a big pay cut, I have played in blue and white,I have been known to score a few goals, I am a clever male private,I am often in the shake up. If you think I'd come to Grimsby you lot are frucking crackers I'm going to Shrewsbury

Please stay golfer. I'd be lost without your wit and insight.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 23, 2016, 9:11pm; Reply: 22
I couldn't bear Steve Evans, dodgy financial dealings, been banned by the FA before been thrown out of grounds by police, is a despicable person and wears mascara! I would go for Bignot or Adkins.
Posted by: totalidiot, October 23, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 23
Would love to see someone with passion like ian holloway
Would certainly get the respect of the players from the off and maybe sort out and knock a few heads together at the club.
In all honesty tho i don't think holloway and fenty would be a marriage made in heaven.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 23, 2016, 9:18pm; Reply: 24
Re Evans etc;  do we have to get all our managers from within the same county?

We could look further afield.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 23, 2016, 9:19pm; Reply: 25
Big Sam Alladyce for me. Guaranteed to keep us up and knows how to get round the 3rd party ownership rules. Failing that I'd go for Steve McClaren. I know he's in a job but he's never more than a fortnight from being sacked so we'd just have to be patient.
Posted by: totalidiot, October 23, 2016, 9:27pm; Reply: 26
Evans,Cotterill & Adkins will all be front runners for the MK Dons job i expect,so that may have a bearing on our situation.
Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 27
Apart from Cowley and Bignot the rest i see as looking for lg1 or champ.
Posted by: BackHeelTony, October 23, 2016, 9:42pm; Reply: 28
Steve Evans is proven and would do a decent job. Also think Karl Robinson would be worth a look.

Just hope fenty doesn't try and be too clever. Not the time for 'out the box thinking'
Posted by: I Hate Chris Hollins, October 23, 2016, 9:47pm; Reply: 29
As long as 'in the box' involves contacting other Chairman.
Posted by: totalidiot, October 23, 2016, 9:59pm; Reply: 30
Hope powell anyone?
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 31
What about Fenty himself, he'd save £65K. He could be the major shareholder and manager all in one' The only snag would be if he met himself on the stairs, he wouldn't know which one to sack.
Posted by: Mariners_15, October 23, 2016, 10:12pm; Reply: 32
There's certainly some very good names at the minute without a club, whether we can attract the likes of Adkins, Evans and a few more remain to be seen but it's certainly worth a phone call and could really kick us on to the next level again.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 23, 2016, 10:17pm; Reply: 33
Evans, Stubbs, Cotterill, Adkins, Mackay or Robinson if we could attract any of them
Posted by: UFindusMariner, October 23, 2016, 10:25pm; Reply: 34
The main thing with this next appointment is that it needs to be positive and progressive.

We have been 50/50 at best this season look at the teams we have lost too, Cheltenham and Orient at home were bloody awful, imagine what could be possible with the right appointment.

I for one would love Adkins, we would play attacking football and be positive in our approach, someone who could keep the fans onside. Evans? Don't care much for the bloke but he is proven at this level. Wouldn't be against Bignot think he will do well and the job he has done with Solihull is a great one.

Just please don't go cheap, we have a chance to push the club on.
Posted by: Garth, October 23, 2016, 10:47pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from UFindusMariner
The main thing with this next appointment is that it needs to be positive and progressive.

We have been 50/50 at best this season look at the teams we have lost too, Cheltenham and Orient at home were bloody awful, imagine what could be possible with the right appointment.

I for one would love Adkins, we would play attacking football and be positive in our approach, someone who could keep the fans onside. Evans? Don't care much for the bloke but he is proven at this level. Wouldn't be against Bignot think he will do well and the job he has done with Solihull is a great one.

Just please don't go cheap, we have a chance to push the club on.

Bignot`s record this season so far Played 16  Won 5  Draw 4 lost 7 with -6 goal difference YOUR HAVING A LAFF!
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, October 23, 2016, 10:50pm; Reply: 36
You're
Posted by: Grimal, October 23, 2016, 11:02pm; Reply: 37

Don't do that Ronnie, just give it to someone who would appreciate watching some good attacking football played at BP for a change.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 23, 2016, 11:11pm; Reply: 38
I really hope the club just don't wait for applications to come in, wasting weeks of valuable time. None of this caretaker bullshit given 4 games or whatever crap to see how they go. (anger4)

Head hunt a manager they the board/WE want, and get them installed by next Saturday.  Adkins would be my personal choice as well.
Posted by: Grimal, October 23, 2016, 11:20pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from totalidiot
Evans,Cotterill & Adkins will all be front runners for the MK Dons job i expect,so that may have a bearing on our situation.

It's a wonder there isn't rumours flying around that PH is a front runner for that job aswell.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:27pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Corkyefes

Boston ito the league doesn't really count though does it. Widely known to have been against the rules.
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 11:27pm; Reply: 41
It would be amusing if MK Dons gave Hurst 3 days in post at Shrewsbury and then head hunted and appointed him by not actually making an approach  :)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, October 23, 2016, 11:27pm; Reply: 42
We'd all love Adkins, but have to accept he would be a "stretch" target and would more than likely want something at a higher level.  Worth asking as you never know what sort of challenge he might fancy or how the finance stacks up.

Evans:  No problem.  Good record at this level, but we might be too low for him and he'll be in the running for the Franchise FC job.  Don't care that he's a wrong'un. We're not picking a Pope here.

Bignot:  No.  Just no.

Cowley:  No time for an experiment.  Essentially went on a 20-game cup run with Braintree and doing OK with Lincoln, but need someone with league experience.

Cotterill:  Yep.

O'Driscoll:  Yes, would be OK.
Posted by: fazer11, October 23, 2016, 11:41pm; Reply: 43
John Sitton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDIMWpcKqI
Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2016, 11:44pm; Reply: 44
1st Adkins
2nd Bignot
3rd Kinnear

The rest are well out our reach in fact Adkins would be.
Posted by: mariner91, October 23, 2016, 11:52pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Meza
1st Adkins
2nd Bignot
3rd Kinnear

The rest are well out our reach in fact Adkins would be.

Why on earth would you want a 62 year old with no FL experience and no experience of managing a fully professional team?!
Posted by: chaos33, October 24, 2016, 12:04am; Reply: 46
Why is Bignot even being mentioned? Have I missed something significant he's achieved?
Posted by: Meza, October 24, 2016, 12:05am; Reply: 47
Because i dont want to employ one of the merry go round managers.  The rest our well out our radar.
Posted by: chaos33, October 24, 2016, 12:07am; Reply: 48
We shall see
Posted by: forza ivano, October 24, 2016, 12:10am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Grantley
Anyone who thinks Cowley would come is deluded. Same with Evans and Adkins.

Why? Crowley is now a full time pro manager.we can offer at least double from what Lincoln tempted him to leave Braintree.hed be a fool to turn down our offer
Posted by: mariner91, October 24, 2016, 12:11am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Meza
Because i dont want to employ one of the merry go round managers.  The rest our well out our radar.

Nearly every manager going is a "merry go round manager". Every manager that isn't Guardiola, Fergie or Wenger have been sacked or moved around at some point in their career. It's the nature of the industry they work in. But instead you'd plump for someone with literally no experience of our situation and, as far as I can see, not a hugely impressive CV either?! He's done okay but there's a reason he's nearly at retirement age and has never gone full time.

His Dover team lost 4-2 to Gateshead last week and 5-0 to Chester two weeks before that. Chester FFS! And you'd want him here?!
Posted by: mariner91, October 24, 2016, 12:12am; Reply: 51
Quoted from forza ivano

Why? Crowley is now a full time pro manager.we can offer at least double from what Lincoln tempted him to leave Braintree.hed be a fool to turn down our offer

Can we offer double what Lincoln are paying him? They've got a South African investor who appears to be no mug and he was the one who head hunted Cowley. No doubt he offered him a decent amount to persuade him to give up his dual earnings of football and teaching.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 24, 2016, 12:18am; Reply: 52
Quoted from mariner91

Can we offer double what Lincoln are paying him? They've got a South African investor who appears to be no mug and he was the one who head hunted Cowley. No doubt he offered him a decent amount to persuade him to give up his dual earnings of football and teaching.

We r a league team on the brink of the play Wth a very interesting talented squad and double the potential of the imps.hes a very ambitious progressive coach.marriage made
in heaven IMHO
Posted by: Meza, October 24, 2016, 7:26am; Reply: 53
You can forget cowley.  They arent interested. ;)
Posted by: psgmariner, October 24, 2016, 9:00am; Reply: 54
Ivano or Hope Powell just for the bantz
Posted by: cannylad68, October 24, 2016, 9:13am; Reply: 55
Moore as manager.

Adkins physio.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 24, 2016, 9:30am; Reply: 56
Quoted from cannylad68
Moore as manager.

Adkins physio.

Similar to the dutch team of the 70's. Interchangeable positions. I like it
Posted by: easypeersy, October 24, 2016, 4:58pm; Reply: 57
Why isn't Mike Newell or Ronald McDonald on the list ?
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 24, 2016, 7:31pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from golfer

If you don't frucking like it, don't frucking come.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2016, 7:42pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
We'd all love Adkins, but have to accept he would be a "stretch" target and would more than likely want something at a higher level.  Worth asking as you never know what sort of challenge he might fancy or how the finance stacks up.

Evans:  No problem.  Good record at this level, but we might be too low for him and he'll be in the running for the Franchise FC job.  Don't care that he's a wrong'un. We're not picking a Pope here.

Bignot:  No.  Just no.

Cowley:  No time for an experiment.  Essentially went on a 20-game cup run with Braintree and doing OK with Lincoln, but need someone with league experience.

Cotterill:  Yep.

O'Driscoll:  Yes, would be OK.

Agree with all but Cotterill as we approached him a few years ago and he would not even talk to us if I remember rightly he did not even "politely decline" as they used to say in The News of The World.  
Posted by: monkeyboy, October 24, 2016, 7:48pm; Reply: 60
What about Paul Doswell at Sutton UTD? Looks like he has done well to get then back to the national league.
Posted by: lukeo, October 24, 2016, 8:07pm; Reply: 61
Nice to see over half the voters agree with me and the bookies.. I'd he a happy Mariner if we managed to get Adkins in
Posted by: Garth, October 24, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from monkeyboy
What about Paul Doswell at Sutton UTD? Looks like he has done well to get then back to the national league.

(eek)(lff3)
Posted by: Tradjazz, October 24, 2016, 8:26pm; Reply: 63
Skybet site just now.

WTF is happening. They think Nigel is past the post. What a coup that would be!!!

Next Permanent Grimsby Town Manager

Nigel Adkins 1/3

Wayne Burnett 8/1

Russ Wilcox 10/1

Paul Wilkinson 12/1
Danny Cowley 12/1

John Hughes 14/1

Steve Evans 14/1

Mark Robbins 16/1
Alex Rae 16/1
Dave Jones 16/1
John McDermott 16/1

Neil Woods 16/1
Alan Archibald 18/1

Paul Mitchell 18/1

Neil Aspin 18/1

Steve Cotterill 18/1
Marcus Bignot 20/1

Rob Edwards 20/1

Karl Robinson 20/1

Curtis Woodhouse 20/1
Jim Bentley 22/1

Adrian Pennock 25/1

Chris Doig 25/1

Dave Moore 25/1
Dennis Greene 25/1

Darren Way 28/1

Ian Holloway 33/1

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 24, 2016, 8:33pm; Reply: 64
The fact that Chris Doig is even on the list suggests it shouldn't be taken too seriously.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2016, 8:37pm; Reply: 65
Perhaps we can convince Adkins to buy the club and manage it. He can probably afford it.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, October 24, 2016, 8:45pm; Reply: 66
OperationAtkins
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 24, 2016, 8:50pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from GtfcGarner
OperationAtkins

The first step to entice him should be getting his name right.
Posted by: mariner91, October 24, 2016, 8:52pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from GtfcGarner
OperationAtkins

Are we all going on a questionable diet?
Posted by: chaos33, October 24, 2016, 8:53pm; Reply: 69
:)

Yeah. He likes to be known as NAD.  :)
Posted by: Fat Cobra, October 24, 2016, 8:55pm; Reply: 70
Worrying that Cowley's odds are dropping
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2016, 9:10pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from lukeo
Nice to see over half the voters agree with me and the bookies.. I'd he a happy Mariner if we managed to get Adkins in

OR

You agree with over half the voters,  :)

AND

Why have you not been predicting on Les's prediction thread you naughty boy. ;D
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 24, 2016, 9:30pm; Reply: 72
Adkins has a proven success record with different teams.  He was even prepared to work and manage at Scunny.

Grimsby would be an improvement for him.

He is also positive and has not had a charisma bypass operation.
Posted by: Meza, October 24, 2016, 9:33pm; Reply: 73
Lincoln fans not liking us being linked to DCowley.  They said he wouldn't come here because Lincoln have more backroom staff than us.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 24, 2016, 9:38pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree with all but Cotterill as we approached him a few years ago and he would not even talk to us if I remember rightly he did not even "politely decline" as they used to say in The News of The World.  

I was just about to post the same, wasn't it when we got Russell Slade?
Posted by: chaos33, October 24, 2016, 9:42pm; Reply: 75
Cotterill is tedious and way past his best.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), October 24, 2016, 9:47pm; Reply: 76
I see Pete Burns has ruled himself out today.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 24, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 77
Cowley has just become favourite, we shouldn't pay attention to these odds, the volatility is unbelievable and there's no knowledge, just who's making bets.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), October 25, 2016, 6:32am; Reply: 78
Let's have some perspective shall we.  I should imagine that Hurst would have been on £50k tops, probably less.  So for what is essentially high end lorry driver money we think we're at the front of the queue for the Adkins of this world.

So, crap wages, no transfer budget, managing JF's personality, unappealing location, moaning coffin dodgers in the main stand.  Any other 'selling points' for the job?

It'll be someone cheap because that will be number one selection criteria.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 25, 2016, 7:28am; Reply: 79
Quoted from 139914
Let's have some perspective shall we.  I should imagine that Hurst would have been on £50k tops, probably less.  So for what is essentially high end lorry driver money we think we're at the front of the queue for the Adkins of this world.

So, crap wages, no transfer budget, managing JF's personality, unappealing location, moaning coffin dodgers in the main stand.  Any other 'selling points' for the job?

THIS Alan Knill got an interview today ;)
Posted by: lukeo, October 25, 2016, 7:34am; Reply: 80
ohhh excrement! I've not had chance to get on for a couple weeks n I bloody forgot about it.  :B
Posted by: Mrbusdriver, October 25, 2016, 9:26am; Reply: 81
[quote=139914]moaning coffin dodgers in the main stand.  

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 25, 2016, 9:34am; Reply: 82
I think fenty might do what he did last time poach 2 local Lincolnshire managers , fits the bill be reasonably cheap can carry on living in Lincoln I know they moved up here.  
Posted by: lukeo, October 25, 2016, 9:35am; Reply: 83
ideally Adkins but I'd happily back the brothers if they came!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 25, 2016, 9:39am; Reply: 84
Quoted from lukeo
ideally Adkins but I'd happily back the brothers if they came!

Adkins still based down south reading area so be surprised if he came
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, October 25, 2016, 1:34pm; Reply: 85
Im not too sure about Adkins personally. I'd be more than happy for somebody to explain why he'd be a good choice and in no way am I trying to say people are wrong about him but has he not been somewhat of a failure at his last two clubs? Yes he did do very well at Southampton there's no denying that but looking at the squad available to him there, as somebody else mentioned it would've been hard not to win promotion. Let's not kid ourselves either, even when Southampton were in league one they were a much bigger club than we are now.

I'm so wondering if he'd really want to drop down to this level.

Like I say I'm not tying to be negative or prove anybody wrong I'm just airing my concerns. If there is something I don't know then obviously I'd be more than happy to listen and take others thoughts on board.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it slightly, I just wouldn't want another Newell type situation.

I have to say though, at the minute no names have stood out to me as being an outstanding candidate.

Whoever does come in though I hope they get us playing 'proper' attacking football with the ball in the deck, especially at home. Obviously the balance between attach and defence has to be right though but anyone can beat anyone in this league so I see no reason not to go for it against most teams.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 25, 2016, 1:54pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from lukeo
ohhh excrement! I've not had chance to get on for a couple weeks n I bloody forgot about it.  :B

In that case mate I had better tell you,

Les gave you a red card and you are suspended until the start of the next league ;D

Sorry,
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 25, 2016, 1:54pm; Reply: 87
Ian Holloway applied for the Grimsby Town job before, wasn't it around the time Russell Slade departed?  Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if he applied again regardless of what he's doing as a Sky pundit.
Posted by: Grim74, October 25, 2016, 4:15pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from 139914

Couldn't of put that better myself, time to get real we are paying peanuts so we ain't getting Adkins.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 25, 2016, 4:25pm; Reply: 89
To quote Kevin Keegan - 'I would love it' if we could get Adkins but I suspect our sights will be set at a level to keep us where we are rather than look for a manager with such a good CV. Penny pinching appears to be the name of the game.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 25, 2016, 4:37pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Ian Holloway applied for the Grimsby Town job before, wasn't it around the time Russell Slade departed?  Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if he applied again regardless of what he's doing as a Sky pundit.

Why the hell would he give up a well paid job in a nice warm studio getting celebrity status to manage a lower league side in the forgotten frozen wastes on the North sea coast?

Sorry but it aint going to happen.

Posted by: gtfc98, October 25, 2016, 5:13pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Holloway was interviewed before Newell took the job. If I remember correctly he had to rule himself out because he has a disabled child and there wasn't a specialist school which was able to cater for their needs in the area at the time. Remember him giving an interview to Talksport after Newell had been appointed and he said we'd be fine because we had talent like North and Bore in the side.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 25, 2016, 5:25pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from MuddyWaters
To quote Kevin Keegan - 'I would love it' if we could get Adkins but I suspect our sights will be set at a level to keep us where we are rather than look for a manager with such a good CV. Penny pinching appears to be the name of the game.

No real idea about wages but say Hurst was on £60k pa and Adkins wants £250k then is that penny pinching if we rule him out of that score?

We are not rich and we should not jepodise the future of the club by gambling on a manager. I am sure we can put together a competitive package for League 2 without bankrupting the club
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 25, 2016, 5:31pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from gtfc98
Holloway was interviewed before Newell took the job. If I remember correctly he had to rule himself out because he has a disabled child and there wasn't a specialist school which was able to cater for their needs in the area at the time. Remember him giving an interview to Talksport after Newell had been appointed and he said we'd be fine because we had talent like North and Bore in the side.
Yeah, I seem to remember Holloway mentioning it sometime. I could not remember where, may of been on the radio or TV.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, October 25, 2016, 6:13pm; Reply: 94
For me Adkins would be the best choice. Whether we can tempt him here I am not sure.

I feel this is an important period for the club as we try to re-establish ourselves in the Football League.Its not a time for a gamble on anyone who isnt proven at this level. For that reason i wouldnt go after Cowley or Burnett who are amongst the frontrunners being mentioned.

Robinson did a decent job at MK so worth considering and though i dont like Evans you cant argue with his CV. Maybe O'Driscoll.

You need someone with recent success...Jones & Holloway both past their sell by date imo. Dangerous to appoint a manager based on what he might have done10 years ago. Cotterills recent record also not that good.

Bignot too much of  gamble to even consider. Same as Greene at Boston who was has been mentioned.

As has been said the outcome of the MK vacancy might influence ours.

Whoever we get lets, as fans, get behind him from the off rather than start the new era with negativity. I know that may be difficult for some Town fans.

I just hope we dont go for a cheaper option (though i fear we might) and risk heading back to where it took us so long to get out of.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 25, 2016, 6:20pm; Reply: 95
Forget Adkins and Evans, with vacancies now at Milton Keynes, Wolves, Wigan, surely they will go to those clubs ahead of us.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, October 25, 2016, 6:29pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Forget Adkins and Evans, with vacancies now at Milton Keynes, Wolves, Wigan, surely they will go to those clubs ahead of us.

Good point. I had forgotten those vacancies were still open as well.

Posted by: 139914 (Guest), October 25, 2016, 6:58pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from gtfc98

Yes, that's exactly as I recall re Ian Holloway
Posted by: Cloudy, October 26, 2016, 9:51am; Reply: 98
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

I expect Wolves will go for another foreigner
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 26, 2016, 10:23am; Reply: 99
I don't think that the recently-appointed York City manager Gary Mills (who some supported) has improved his chances for the Town job.  He has already lost at Curzon Ashton in an FAC replay.

I'll sort it," promises York City boss Gary Mills after a  "terrible" and "horrendous" defeat at Southport (who were bottom) last night.  They are now just 1 point above the drop zone.  

In truth, he was never a possibility for the Town job.  He has more than enough on his plate trying to save York.
Posted by: Mikey_345, October 26, 2016, 10:25am; Reply: 100
With Adkins (and I'm like some on here and think it's a massive long shot) is it neccisarily all about the money?

He will have done well out of Southampton, Reading and Sheff U for that and certainly needs an in back into football. He will probably feel he has something to prove following his last couple of jobs.

Most teams that become available are struggling at the wrong end or have some other problems. A newly promoted team near the top end of their league local to where he's been in the past must have some attractiveness - but maybe not enough.
Posted by: Garth, October 26, 2016, 10:26am; Reply: 101
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I don't think that the recently-appointed York City manager Gary Mills (who some supported) has improved his chances for the Town job.  He has already lost at Curzon Ashton in an FAC replay.

I'll sort it," promises York City boss Gary Mills after a  "terrible" and "horrendous" defeat at Southport (who were bottom) last night.  They are now just 1 point above the drop zone.  

In truth, he was never a possibility for the Town job.  He has more than enough on his plate trying to save York.

Useless bottom of The National League manager who`s tenure at York will be short
Posted by: RoboCod, October 26, 2016, 10:27am; Reply: 102
Quoted from Cloudy

I expect Wolves will go for another foreigner

This is a good point. The spread of foreign ownership and management has gone beyond the Premier and into the Championship and will continue further, surely this will push the remaining English/British managers further down the League ladder. The likes of Adkins, as respected as he is, could struggle soon to even be considered for a job in the Premier or even Championship. With the new ground and ambition, much like a club like Scunny have done, Town could make themselves an attractive alternative.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 7:35am