Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 8:15pm
Been told just now paul has gone to shrewsbury all done and dusted.

Confirmed either tonight or morning.

Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 23, 2016, 8:16pm; Reply: 1
Source?
Posted by: Hagrid, October 23, 2016, 8:18pm; Reply: 2
Same for me Johnny, heard 15-20 mins ago, reliable info. I wish paul nothing but the best
Posted by: Spidey, October 23, 2016, 8:18pm; Reply: 3
JT on twitter is now saying his contact is now back tracking about PH leaving.
Posted by: Zmariner, October 23, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Been told just now paul has gone to shrewsbury all done and dusted.

Confirmed either tonight or morning.

If true good riddance for me, no good having somebody who does not want to be here. I have been a fan , leaving like this speaks volumes about him. Will be interesting to see how he gets on , our home form was poor and I wish Shrewsbury no joy with him
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 23, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 5
Probably from the goon who tried to con Fenty a few weeks ago.
Posted by: Mikey_345, October 23, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 6
JT reported deal was done and then said his source was back tracking.

Hopefully something concrete soon will let us either move on or just carry on.
Posted by: Rhys_Mariners, October 23, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 7
Heard from a player that he's gone
Posted by: Corkyefes, October 23, 2016, 8:20pm; Reply: 8
He's gone.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 23, 2016, 8:21pm; Reply: 9

If true I can't help but think Hurst has made a big mistake career wise.

It's up to the Town board now to find a better replacement (not the cheap option please).
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 8:21pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Source?

My mum works the corner down freemo.

Believe me Mr hurst has left the building.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), October 23, 2016, 8:22pm; Reply: 11
Like Forrest Gump once said.....excrement Happens!!

We move on!!

UTM
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 23, 2016, 8:23pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jonnyboy82

What's she look like. I might know her 😄
Posted by: Hagrid, October 23, 2016, 8:23pm; Reply: 13
Why the crosses gentleman?! Its the truth, he is no longer GTFC manager
Posted by: OllieGTFC, October 23, 2016, 8:23pm; Reply: 14
Well if it's true we move on, always replaceable onwards and upwards
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 23, 2016, 8:24pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Hagrid

Source ??
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2016, 8:24pm; Reply: 16
Did a job (of sorts) for us in that he got us back in the league but won very few long-term friends along the way, primarily for playing a defensive set-up, putting square pegs in round holes and refusing to try the youngsters that he awarded contracts to.

I think something has gone on behind the scenes for him to leave to go to Shrewsbury but equally believe that there's sufficient managerial talent out there not to miss him.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, October 23, 2016, 8:24pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Hagrid

I heard 15-20mins before you did
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 8:24pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Civvy at last

What's she look like. I might know her 😄

She's the one with teeth.
Posted by: jaygy, October 23, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 19
I think the word for this is 'Meh'. Good luck to the bloke and thanks for getting us promoted but there are better out there that could hopefully bring excitement back to BP. He stabilised us and now IMO it's time for someone to come in and take us that one step further.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 23, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Fat Cobra

I heard 15-20mins before you did

Think its for the best all round, the whole situation has been embarrasing
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 23, 2016, 8:26pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Oh

I don't know her then. I don't do the posh ones 😉😄😄
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2016, 8:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Her own?

Posted by: Grantley, October 23, 2016, 8:27pm; Reply: 23
Tondeur: Right. Paul still #gtfc manager tonight.  Things should be clearer tomorrow.
Posted by: geir, October 23, 2016, 8:27pm; Reply: 24
If true - and it may seem so based on the chatter here - Thank you, Paul Hurst, for giving me a day I`ll never forget at Wembley.
Thank you for setting us up with some good players this season too. May you find success, except against us!
But Shrewsbury? We will never understand that one.

Now - bring on the next manager - we have a lot of good candidates without a job out there. Someone even possibly living close to Grimsby.
This is not the end - it is a new beginning in a season where we won`t be too disappointed by mid-table mediocrity - a perfect time for a change.

UP the Mariners!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 23, 2016, 8:30pm; Reply: 25
We should never try and keep a manager (or player) who does not want to be here anymore.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2016, 8:33pm; Reply: 26
But there's been no contact. How can this be?
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 23, 2016, 8:33pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We should never try and keep a manager (or player) who does not want to be here anymore.

True.

But we should be compensated where appropriate !!
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 23, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Is this your mum?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/y8IK6m4.gif[/img]
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from ginnywings
But there's been no contact. How can this be?

Exactly. Some fibs have been told.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 23, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 30
[tweet]790272389452075013[/tweet]
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2016, 8:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from jonnyboy82

If that's the case, say "Hello Daddy "
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 8:50pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from GrimRob
[tweet]790272389452075013[/tweet]

So have you bet against him leaving mate? Must be a good price?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 8:52pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from golfer

If that's the case, say "Hello Daddy "

Teeth in or out ?
Posted by: TAGG, October 23, 2016, 8:55pm; Reply: 34
He got us out of the mess Fenty put us in so good luck to the bloke.

We will move onwards and upwards.
UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 23, 2016, 8:59pm; Reply: 35

If true I assume Doig will be caretaker manager then.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from promotion plaice

Kin ell just the motivating voice needed to bring the lads up.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, October 23, 2016, 9:05pm; Reply: 37
Heir spot on. I think Hurst has taken us far as he could At times I had to admit it was hard to look at the table but no regrets I wish him well  Fenty needs to look long and hard at the next manager the Club is in a positive frame and it seems back in the fans hearts again. As for going to Shrewsbury either a cry for help or a big fat wad  I will never understand it but a lot people won't be upset about it. On wards and upwards UTM ??)

Posted by: Les Brechin, October 23, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 38
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 23, 2016, 9:09pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33

So have you bet against him leaving mate? Must be a good price?

Nope. No data available.
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 9:09pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from promotion plaice

I think/hope they'll go as a pair.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 23, 2016, 9:10pm; Reply: 41
My main worry is not necessarily about Paul going. Yes, he's done what was asked of him by the fans, and we can only hold him in high regards for that.

But, who will he take with him? Doig? Moore? Etc etc
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, October 23, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 42
If and when he goes to shrewsbury, good luck to him but he could of had the bottle to face the media yesterday and admitted he was leaving. Felt the relationship with the fans was always strained anyway and left on quiet a sour note.
We are bigger than any manager and we will always be here after any manager and player. We can progress further now with the right appointment because for me hurst took us as far as he could. Posistive appointment and you watch us step it up to the next level.

UTM
Posted by: mariner91, October 23, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
My main worry is not necessarily about Paul going. Yes, he's done what was asked of him by the fans, and we can only hold him in high regards for that.

Moore has been at the club for 15 years and it's his home town. I highly doubt he'll be leaving.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, October 23, 2016, 9:14pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Doig will probs go, when hurst asks him because he dosent know a thing about it all, like were thick enough to believe that crap, could of had the tenancy to tell us the truth....moore will stay his town througb and through.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 23, 2016, 9:14pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from chaos33

A pair of what......... ;D

Posted by: Bigdog, October 23, 2016, 9:15pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Doig, he can go with PH

Moore, he's got the GTFC badge tattooed on the inside of his scrotum
Posted by: 97 (Guest), October 23, 2016, 9:16pm; Reply: 47
I cannot believe that we are now in the position where Hurst has gone and Neil Woods is the next in command. How the actual intercourse did this happen?

To say I am apprehensive about the next appointment is something of an understatement.

What series of intercourse ups led to this situation I wonder?

Christ.
Posted by: Quagmire, October 23, 2016, 9:16pm; Reply: 48
If he has gone the silver lining for me is no LJL in January ... ??)  ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 23, 2016, 9:16pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

Moore has been at the club for 15 years and it's his home town. I highly doubt he'll be leaving.

He will take over as c/taker manager if Doig goes as well.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 23, 2016, 9:19pm; Reply: 50
Woods temporary charge at the very most, get on your phone now Mr Fenty and try and get Adkins or Bignot in as soon as possible.
Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2016, 9:20pm; Reply: 51
There's alot of bad stuff on twitter all aimed at JF
Posted by: topuphere666, October 23, 2016, 9:21pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Mariner_09
Woods temporary charge at the very most, get on your phone now Mr Fenty and try and get Adkins or Bignot in as soon as possible.

Please never suggest Woods as temp manager again. The guys is a town great but for everyone's sake keep him where he is good - with the youth team.

Moore in for Saturday if PH has gone, which gives us a good 10-12 days to shortlist and interview.
Posted by: mariner91, October 23, 2016, 9:23pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Bigdog

Doig, he can go with PH

Moore, he's got the GTFC badge tattooed on the inside of his scrotum

;D What an image, not sure I can get it out of my head now it's there either.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 23, 2016, 9:23pm; Reply: 54
Can see it now, trawling through deadline day in january and up pops "shrewsbury bid for newport striker lennell john lewis 😅😅😅😅
Posted by: Hagrid, October 23, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 55
Woods isnt even at the club yet
Posted by: wigworld, October 23, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 56
I don't think Woods is even in the building yet. The announcement of his appointment said he'd be starting in a few weeks.
Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2016, 9:26pm; Reply: 57
Then theres the poaching of Mckeown pearson etc
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 23, 2016, 9:28pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from 97
I cannot believe that we are now in the position where Hurst has gone and Neil Woods is the next in command. How the actual intercourse did this happen?

To say I am apprehensive about the next appointment is something of an understatement.

What series of intercourse ups led to this situation I wonder?

Christ.

I feel the same. In time it will almost certainly come out that we could have kept him but JF.........

I also think this could be an opportunity for the club but who honestly feels confident about how and who we'll appoint?
Posted by: Cloudy, October 23, 2016, 9:30pm; Reply: 59
Hurst, Doig and Warrington will all leave together. Means Moore and probably a couple of senior pro's in charge till a new man appointed, possibly Dizza and Davies.

Firstly HUGE thanks to Paul Hurst for turning round our rotting club. I for one appreciated the job you have done in stopping the rot and getting us back in the league. I still feel bitter that our ex chairman allowed irelegation to happen and I am also bitter that his stranglehold on our club continues to hold us back.

Maybe Hurst felt he has gone a bit stale and needed a new challenge?

Next iHUGE job is to get the appointment right. It is very unusual for any football club board to get 2 consecutive appointments right let alone our lot so lots of fingers crossed.

Who it should be I don't know, all I want is someone who will work his nuts off to improve us by playing attacking football. If he can have a good relationship with the fans then that is a bonus.

Adkins
Bignot
Evans
Pennock
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2016, 9:32pm; Reply: 60
Whichever way this pans out, staying or going, someone is going to end up with a giant omelette on his face.
Posted by: mariner91, October 23, 2016, 9:50pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Cloudy

Pennock

Would be a horrendous appointment. Three years at FGR where they were spending comfortably double what Town were doing (and we had a large budget for that league) and he couldn't get them up. One year he couldn't even get them in to the play offs. They also played a dire brand of football under him. No thank you.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 23, 2016, 9:54pm; Reply: 62
We've no shortage of potential caretakers, several former Town managers lie in waiting. Woods, Rodger, Buckley, also Moore has managed

I dread any sort of in-house option, really hope the board don't go down that route. The problem is caretakers can sometimes win and the temptation is to keep them on.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 23, 2016, 9:55pm; Reply: 63
Would have preferred him to stay but c'est la vie. Good luck Paul and thanks for getting us out of that league.

Regards his replacement I'd prefer an experienced, safe pair of hands like Evans, Stubbs or Cotterill as opposed to a young up and coming manager.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 23, 2016, 9:55pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from GrimRob
We've no shortage of potential caretakers, several former Town managers lie in waiting. Woods, Rodger, Buckley, also Moore has managed

I dread any sort of in-house option, really hope the board don't go down that route. The problem is caretakers can sometimes win and the temptation is to keep them on.

Even if they lose we still employ them
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 23, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 65
At the end of the day who didn't see this coming? The guy went behind Boston's back to join us and now he's done the same to us. As much as I want him to stay, he has done what he set out to do in getting us promoted. Lets move on, the club will no doubt have seen this coming and pit the relevant things in place.

Thanks for the Promotion and all that though.
Posted by: realist, October 23, 2016, 10:08pm; Reply: 66
If this turns out to be true it will be absolutely wonderful news, a really good thing for the club. Get a proper manager in .

Gosh, a positive post. How will i ever live this this down?
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 23, 2016, 10:10pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Meza

Not on social media, who is saying what, players, manager, fans?
Posted by: Garth, October 23, 2016, 10:12pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
At the end of the day who didn't see this coming? The guy went behind Boston's back to join us and now he's done the same to us. As much as I want him to stay, he has done what he set out to do in getting us promoted. Lets move on, the club will no doubt have seen this coming and pit the relevant things in place.

Also a big thanks must go to the guy who hauled Gowling down in the Braintree game, Hurst or no Hurst without his generous action we could have been home to Ferriby this Saturday
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 23, 2016, 10:14pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Garth

Also a big thanks must go to the guy who hauled Gowling down in the Braintree game, Hurst or no Hurst without his generous action we could have been home to Ferriby this Saturday

No doubt that was a contributing factor.
Posted by: Mariners_15, October 23, 2016, 10:21pm; Reply: 70
Can I just plead with Fenty now not to take the cheap easy option please. And when a new gaffer comes in let's back him and update the backroom staff setup as having no fitness/conditioning coach at this level is a urine take to be quite frank.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2016, 10:27pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Mariners_15
Can I just plead with Fenty now not to take the cheap easy option please. And when a new gaffer comes in let's back him and update the backroom staff setup as having no fitness/conditioning coach at this level is a urine take to be quite frank.

I would like to plead with him too. But I doubt he'll take any notice of what you or I say  :o
Posted by: Sigone, October 23, 2016, 10:27pm; Reply: 72
Can someone explain to me what the cheap option is?
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2016, 10:29pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Sigone
Can someone explain to me what the cheap option is?

Hurst staying  ;)
Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2016, 10:32pm; Reply: 74
Some fans i assume, are blaming JF for PH leaving and then bringing up the past 10 years.

Why do we always bring up the shite from the past.  Have they forgotten who got PH in the first place.  I just cant stand fickle people drumming on about towns downfall it does my head in.
Posted by: mr b, October 23, 2016, 10:34pm; Reply: 75
Hurst gone 6 figure yearly salary apparently 💷💷💷💷
Posted by: Grim74, October 23, 2016, 10:34pm; Reply: 76
Thanks for the few good memories Mr Hurst but if I'm honest most of them are excrement, and good luck with your sideways move but if I'm honest I hope you fail miserably.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 23, 2016, 10:37pm; Reply: 77
Paul Hurst, sadly in my period of watching Town, has been by far and away our most successful manager. He will leave the club in a position incomparably better than it was when he took over. In my opinion we are forever indebted to him. My sentimental thoughts may not mirror across this forum but I didn’t give two hoots about how we got out of the doldrums that is non-league and I was perfectly happy to give Hursty this year at least. He seems to adapted quite well, we have almost totally carried over our Conference form, we can win away but can’t win at home and we seem to get punished for very little and then create a whole host of chances but fail to take any.

I do not begrudge Hursty’s stubbornness and his dealings with Podge and Arnold as he needed to show who was boss as he did with Thomas, Neilson, Brown and Mackreth. He has shown to be a terrific man manager as players as you never hear of any believable rifts in the dressing room as these things invariably creep out. I also admired his determinism on three occasions.

Firstly, when Shouty got the bullet, he could easily have walked out with him, and that decision seems to have benefitted him in the long run. The second was after the Halifax shenanigans. He was personally insulted with very prominent chants of “Hurst out” and “Hursty is a w*****”which was totally tasteless and uncalled for. I wouldn’t have criticised him in the slightest had he turned round and stuck two fingers up at us and said, “I’m not putting up with that lot”. Thirdly was after Braintree at home that was the lowest I’d ever been, I did begin to think Hursty’s teams were predictable and too many half clever managers had sussed him out. He proved us all wrong with a wonderfully executed tactical masterplan at Braintree, where we exhausted them with midfield dominance and then exploited that tiredness with pace on both flanks. Utter genius. We then completely dominated FGR at Wembley and were in no trouble bar a wonder goal and a ridiculous miss by Parkin.

He was in my opinion totally within his rights to come out with emotions running high and let everyone know how difficult it has been for him personally. He is a human being after all and we shouldn’t forget the amount of abuse he received, no matter how thick his skin, will eventually get through.

After the torrid decade we had endured and the particularly awful 2 years under Newell and then Woody, he and Shouty, came in and steadied the ship, we eventually started to show progress between seasons and he spotted some of the best players that some of us have seen at BP. McKeown, Pearson, Dis, Hearn, Amond, Toto, Arnold, the list goes on. We finally had a team that was evidently trying and played for the shirt and the badge. Then when Shouty left, our footballing style improved exponentially over the coming months and better players were brought in as players weren’t afraid to work for him and not that foul mouthed buffoon, Shouty.

Some of his decisions have been almost instinctively criticised. His decision to repeatedly play John Lewis, was correct, he offered lots to us and we benefitted from his tireless running and his footballing ability is indicative of a number of decisions he has taken. Perhaps the fact we played well at Braintree and Wembley with Monkhouse out the side wasn’t entirely unrelated. We will never know but I have my doubts. Against almost this entire forum’s expectation he achieved what he set out to. He guided us back to where we belong, he stopped the rot that could have continued and made the momentum alter to the other direction.

He has his faults, undoubtedly. He has prickly demeanour, and when things don’t suit he has a propensity to bite when he possibly shouldn’t. He seems unwilling for one reason or another to give a formation other than 4-4-2 an extended period. I personally believe, Comley and McAllister sitting with Bolarinwa, Vose and Chambers behind Bogle would create havoc in this league. He also never found an effective way to win games like yesterday but I’d rather have been better against good teams than poor ones.

But his pros certainly outweigh his cons. He has a ruthless streak, he didn’t mess about last year, he cleared out the dead wood and didn’t respond the Amond’s gamesmanship off the pitch. He can spot a player and he can set his teams up to be very effective away from home and he got us promoted. I have so many questions I want answering though.

Why Shrewsbury? What is wrong with us now? Why either Mr Fenty, Hursty, Shrewsbury or whoever has let this situation be played out like this? He will now leave with a cloud over him. Some of us were already ambivalent about him and some even want him gone. The concern I now have going forward is that we lost two key players to Hartlepool and a manager to Shrewsbury, is there somebody being too tight, i.e. Mr Fenty, or has he simply decided a change was better for him? Maybe it will be for everyone, someone like Adkins or Bignot could come in and guide us to the next level and hopefully cross paths with Shrewsbury next year.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2016, 10:45pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from mr b

a pay cut then ?

We were paying him a 7 figure sum .. £10,000:00p   :)
Posted by: davmariner, October 23, 2016, 10:46pm; Reply: 79
Buckley should be installed as Caretaker Manager. He's an experienced pair of hands and knows the team. It will give us a bit of breathing space to choose the right replacement for Hurst.
Posted by: wigworld, October 23, 2016, 10:55pm; Reply: 80
No. I've got nothing but respect for him, but Buckley himself acknowledges he's past it, and that he was past it last time he was manager.
Posted by: joe56, October 23, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 81
Totally agree Dav. AB has watched the team regularly, and has clear insights into the strengths and weaknesses of the players. He knows the game inside out, and is way ahead of the other possibles (with apologies to DM).
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 23, 2016, 11:00pm; Reply: 82
I'd hope he knows how to win a game at home, he watched enough of them. Pearson would be straight back in the side as would Bolarinwa and Browne as he'd want proper wingers.
Posted by: davmariner, October 23, 2016, 11:02pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from wigworld
No. I've got nothing but respect for him, but Buckley himself acknowledges he's past it, and that he was past it last time he was manager.

Didn't say we should bring him back for good. He's a man that has managed over 1,000 FL matches and would provide a bit of stability in a difficult period whilst we look for a replacement. He watches the team regularly so it wouldn't be a group of unknown players. Would rather him than non-entity Doig take care of the team.
Posted by: realist, October 23, 2016, 11:02pm; Reply: 84
Jesus Christ, the AB rubbish has started already. And to think Fenty has been accused of poor choices of manager.
AB has a wonderful place in our history, but that is where he should stay.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:03pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Can see it now, trawling through deadline day in january and up pops "shrewsbury bid for newport striker lennell john lewis 😅😅😅😅

Well I flipping hope so. It would serve the girl privates right.
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 11:08pm; Reply: 86
Hurst will have to play the hand he's dealt at Shrewsbury until January. They could be adrift by then. They've looked pretty hapless for a while. Good luck with that.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:08pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from mr b

9,000.67?!
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, October 23, 2016, 11:11pm; Reply: 88
He leaves the club in a much better state than when he took over.  It's possible that he even helped save it by eventually getting us promoted back to the league.  He's built a good side.  We should all wish him well.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:11pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from chaos33
Hurst will have to play the hand he's dealt at Shrewsbury until January. They could be adrift by then. They've looked pretty hapless for a while. Good luck with that.

Unless he's guaranteed a tidy sum for the next 18 months, it's a bad move. I can't see him being the man to turn it round quickly.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:11pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Les Brechin
The King is dead. Long live the King.

We don't have one yet.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:12pm; Reply: 91

That been burning quietly for 6 years?
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 11:13pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
He leaves the club in a much better state than when he took over.  It's possible that he even helped save it by eventually getting us promoted back to the league.  He's built a good side.  We should all wish him well.

I do wish him well.
Posted by: joe56, October 23, 2016, 11:15pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from realist
Jesus Christ, the AB rubbish has started already. And to think Fenty has been accused of poor choices of manager.
AB has a wonderful place in our history, but that is where he should stay.

We're talking of maybe 2-3 games, 4-5 max hopefully. The caretaker period could be crucial for us. Lose most of the games, and it could set the direction of the rest of the season. I don't think that would happen under Buckley, but it might under the physio or a 'senior player' as has been suggested.
Posted by: davmariner, October 23, 2016, 11:18pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from joe56

We're talking of maybe 2-3 games, 4-5 max hopefully. The caretaker period could be crucial for us. Lose most of the games, and it could set the direction of the rest of the season. I don't think that would happen under Buckley, but it might under the physio or a 'senior player' as has been suggested.

Exactly. With the table so finely balanced, if we lose the next three we could well be dragged into a relegation battle.
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2016, 11:18pm; Reply: 95
It went terribly last time and that was years ago.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 23, 2016, 11:25pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That been burning quietly for 6 years?

No I'm just saying he's done the same to us as so its hardly a shock is all.

Posted by: Mariner55, October 23, 2016, 11:25pm; Reply: 97
Depends whether he takes Doig with him.  If he does then Dave Moore/Craig Disley 'mentored' by Buckley until they appoint a replacement, which hopefully will not take long (though nothing would surprise me if it did).
Posted by: Tradjazz, October 23, 2016, 11:31pm; Reply: 98
If this is true I wish Mr Hurst all the best. He's certainly going to need it.
Shrewsbury are really poor and with Mr Hurst's failure of no plan B they will be in Div 2 before Easter.
We do need a change at the top. I think he has  taken the club as far as he can. Appears to have run out of ideas. Doesn't play wingers and the midfield is very weak, Our home form is terrible. My grandson has been to the last 4 home games and asked me why we don't score! Only seen a late penalty in 3 hours of football. We get a decent away result to get the crowd expecting and are then let down by a pathetic home performance.
For goodness sake appoint a new man with proven ability, and not from within. Mr Fenty learn from the last time you did that.
Here's hoping for a much better dislpay than has been served up lately. UTM

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:33pm; Reply: 99

No I'm just saying he's done the same to us as so its hardly a shock is all.

Well, it's just that you've not mentioned it before. Or are the gloves allowed to come off now with Hurst, like Podge when he left?

And there were two parties in that transaction (and I don't mean Rob Scott).
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 23, 2016, 11:40pm; Reply: 100

Well, it's just that you've not mentioned it before. Or are the gloves allowed to come off now with Hurst, like Podge when he left?

And there were two parties in that transaction (and I don't mean Rob Scott).

I believe I said at the time.. That it was bound to happen to us.. I don't think I said anything when Podge left either unless you care to find it.
Posted by: Badger57, October 23, 2016, 11:40pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Garth

TRUTH!

Without that crazy, wreckless and totally unnecessary challenge I'm certain we wouldn't be playing league football this season. Call it fate, but from the second that the ensuing scuffed penalty hit the back of the net there was an inevitability about the whole thing. Destiny had decided our fate. It was our turn (finally)and I for one didn't doubt it for a second from that very moment!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2016, 11:48pm; Reply: 102

I believe I said at the time.. That it was bound to happen to us.. I don't think I said anything when Podge left either unless you care to find it.

Didn't say YOU said anything about Podge. Just that it's like the Podge situation when everyone suddenly decided he was excrement.
Posted by: Kris2, October 23, 2016, 11:51pm; Reply: 103

Didn't say YOU said anything about Podge. Just that it's like the Podge situation when everyone suddenly decided he was excrement.

Well people don't like rejection in any form, they want to keep some pride so they'll lash out like "always thought he was rubbish anyway!" etc etc. People tend to be fickle about this stuff anyway and are quick to moan when things aren't going well but as soon as we get a couple of wins anyone saying anything negative is quickly hushed and only positivity is allowed.

But yeah in this case people are going through the various stages, first denial "Oh he'd never leave us for that crappy club" then anger "Never liked him, he wasn't even a very good manager!" eventually people will accept it and move on.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 23, 2016, 11:58pm; Reply: 104

I don't for a second think think Hurst is/was shite. Yes I think some of his decisions have been odd but who hasn't? Never called Podge  for that matter but If someones here that no longer wants to be id gladly drive them to their next destination, simple as that. Non of want a player or manger whose heart lies elsewhere.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 24, 2016, 12:04am; Reply: 105
Mariner 91s post is spot on. If he's gone then the best f luck to him. Wish I could get a six figure salary and
Iive in salop.id be off quicker than u could say mariner. Howeve with Adkins Shakespeare Stubbs being available plus numerous other possibilities, I'd love Crowley to come here, means it's a great time for him to leave
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 24, 2016, 12:24am; Reply: 106
Quoted from Mariners_15

We could do with a "corner kick" coach as well.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 24, 2016, 4:30am; Reply: 107
Quoted from chaos33

"Not in this game let's have a look at the ole scoreboard"............................ Hursty one Fenty nil arf......arf.

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 24, 2016, 4:36am; Reply: 108
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

This in spades. whoever takes over as a strong side in a great position to move on for that I thank him.

We move on a new chapter as dawned (clap2)(clap2)(clap2) "FISH"
Posted by: cannylad68, October 24, 2016, 7:40am; Reply: 109
What a mess.
Posted by: buckstown, October 24, 2016, 8:33am; Reply: 110
As a big PH fan I was gutted when this news broke, but after three days of is he/isn't he I really think it would be better if he went and we all started again.
I wish him all the best, he's worked hard for six years and achieved the top priority of bringing league football back. There's no loyalty in league two football anymore and he has to make his family his top priority and do whats best for them. He owes us nothing - we gave him the platform and he gave us league football
Despite GTFC handling this badly (no shock there) I don't think this is a mess, it's an opportunity. If we can get the right man in quickly this squad is good enough to progress
Thanks Paul and good luck
Posted by: conscorner, October 24, 2016, 9:17am; Reply: 111
Has there been an official announcement yet - unable to find anything on either club web site or bbc?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 24, 2016, 9:20am; Reply: 112
Quoted from conscorner
Has there been an officicial announcement yet - unable to find anything on either club web site or bbc?

No mate the club are going to announce it week on Friday and hope nobody notices (thumbup)(thumbup1)(thumbup)(thumbup1)(wallbash)(wallbash2)
Posted by: conscorner, October 24, 2016, 9:24am; Reply: 113
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

No mate the club are going to announce it week on Friday and hope nobody notices (thumbup)(thumbup1)(thumbup)(thumbup1)(wallbash)(wallbash2)

Would not surprise me!  :)
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 9:25am; Reply: 114
Quoted from conscorner
Has there been an officicial announcement yet - unable to find anything on either club web site or bbc?

Nobody knows when phexit will be announced. It's just a question of when not if.

In the meantime we all have to pretend to do some work....
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 24, 2016, 9:25am; Reply: 115

Well with this sitting in the stand til the 2nd half thing it aint like we would notice I like a Town Manager who waves his arms and turns red.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 24, 2016, 9:26am; Reply: 116
Quoted from conscorner
Has there been an official announcement yet - unable to find anything on either club web site or bbc?

No but it's done. Doig has also gone.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 24, 2016, 9:28am; Reply: 117
Quoted from gtfc98

No but it's done. Doig has also gone.

Has Doig gone with PH or following Saturday`s Interview is he now lined up for the Radio 2 Morning slot?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 24, 2016, 9:30am; Reply: 118
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well with this sitting in the stand til the 2nd half thing it aint like we would notice I like a Town Manager who waves his arms and turns red.

Steve Evans
Posted by: chaos33, October 24, 2016, 9:30am; Reply: 119
Apparently it was a total shock to Doig who knew nothing about it and hadn't packed a bag or made a sandwich for the journey or anything.
Posted by: somersetmariner, October 24, 2016, 9:30am; Reply: 120
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Has Doig gone with PH or following Saturday`s Interview is he now lined up for the Radio 2 Morning slot?

Haha -the ratings would go through the roof !!!!
Posted by: Ipswin, October 24, 2016, 9:33am; Reply: 121
Quoted from Meza

Wrong target this time

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 24, 2016, 9:33am; Reply: 122
Quoted from chaos33
Apparently it was a total shock to Doig who knew nothing about it and hadn't packed a bag or made a sandwich for the journey or anything.

That interview should be put on Shrewsbury board to show them the energy and spring they've just bought into (murgi)(nar)(sleep1) good ducking riddance
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 24, 2016, 9:35am; Reply: 123

That interview should be put on Shrewsbury board to show them the energy and spring they've just bought into (murgi)(nar)(sleep1) good ducking riddance

That interview was a f***ing embarrassment. Probably would have been better if JT hadn't bothered.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 24, 2016, 9:36am; Reply: 124
Quoted from Garth

Shame, we might have won that one

Posted by: scrumble, October 24, 2016, 9:37am; Reply: 125
Quoted from 1mickylyons

No he's doing the obituaries programme on radio 4 on Sunday night
Posted by: RichMariner, October 24, 2016, 9:42am; Reply: 126
If Hurst goes - and takes Doig with him...

It's bizarre that he'd put Doig in that situation - having to claim you know nothing when in fact you know everything. It insults our intelligence. Makes me feel like we're being taken for fools.
Posted by: Badger57, October 24, 2016, 9:43am; Reply: 127
Gone. Just confirmed J.T.
Woohoo!  :)
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 24, 2016, 9:44am; Reply: 128
Gone
Posted by: OllieGTFC, October 24, 2016, 9:45am; Reply: 129
Been confirmed his gone
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 9:45am; Reply: 130
[tweet]790473567477624832[/tweet]
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 9:48am; Reply: 131
Can't say I am at all bothered if Doig goes too. His only claim to fame is that he played for both Central Coast Mariners and Town.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 24, 2016, 9:50am; Reply: 132
Quoted from GrimRob
[tweet]790473567477624832[/tweet]

Hurrah thank goodness the saga ends.I would like to wish PH all the very best for the future at Shrewsbury and thank him for regaining our football league status.Now lets get someone in who likes to play fast attacking football at home and give us some excitement.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 24, 2016, 9:50am; Reply: 133
When your manager leaves your club, you kind of expect the news to be confirmed by the club first.

Not at Grimsby.

It makes you wonder who confirmed it to JT - I guess it'll be someone at the club (it has to be, really, otherwise it's still speculation) and if that's the case, why hasn't it been announced by them?

They've got a website, a Twitter feed, a Facebook page, a YouTube channel... you'd think they'd have had some communications lined up, given that they've been much closer to the 'action' than anyone else.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 24, 2016, 9:51am; Reply: 134
(thx)
Posted by: forza ivano, October 24, 2016, 9:54am; Reply: 135
I'd like to wish hurst the best of luck at Shrewsbury.lovely part of the world and probably an easier gig than here with more money thrown in. Thank you so much for getting us out of non league. I will be forever grateful, it really was the worst of times.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 24, 2016, 9:54am; Reply: 136
Thank you Shrewsbury. At least we have been spared the "let's give him another 5/10/15 games" scenario later in the season which to me looked fairly inevitable with half this forum seemingly content with mid-table status for the 2016/17.

Mr Fenty now  has a great opportunity here to appoint someone with a bit of flair and imagination who can take us to the next level. Please don't let us down with another steady eddie John.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 9:55am; Reply: 137
That post match interview was like the one with the Iraqi defence minister who claimed Baghdad was not under threat while the tanks rumbled in in the background
Posted by: Rick12, October 24, 2016, 9:59am; Reply: 138
So Hurst is gone.Sad to him go to be honest
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, October 24, 2016, 9:59am; Reply: 139
It's all been a bit of an embarrassing mess hasn't it, the past few days? Relief that the speculation is over. GTFC is so much bigger than any one person, now a new chapter begins! UTM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 24, 2016, 10:05am; Reply: 140
It's all been a bit of an embarrassing mess hasn't it, the past few days? Relief that the speculation is over. GTFC is so much bigger than any one person, now a new chapter begins! UTM

Sums it up for me. Whilst I'm delighted that he got us back in the League, it was achieved by the slimmest of margins and not by inspirational decisions or tactics. I certainly never felt 'spoilt' during his time at GTFC.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 24, 2016, 10:06am; Reply: 141
Quoted from GrimRob
That post match interview was like the one with the Iraqi defence minister who claimed Baghdad was not under threat while the tanks rumbled in in the background

;D You nailed it Rob lol
Posted by: oldun, October 24, 2016, 10:13am; Reply: 142
Compared to many, I think Hurst is a capable manager with potential. He has steadily built an impressive CV for a manager of his age, It was almost inevitable that he would leave at some stage, Thank you for your hard work and success Paul and good luck for the future.
Posted by: marinerrick, October 24, 2016, 10:17am; Reply: 143
problem is JT said last night PH has gone then retracted statement, until OS state he has gone then who knows really. No doubt club will just try and bypass the statement as they did with amond and arnold at least
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 10:18am; Reply: 144
Quoted from davmariner
Fenty is on holiday in Spain apparently.

Recruiting more like  :)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 24, 2016, 10:19am; Reply: 145
Quoted from GrimRob

Recruiting more like  :)

Oh no Fenty is gonna go all Continental on us.
Posted by: lancspontooner, October 24, 2016, 10:21am; Reply: 146
And about time. On Friday I just about wanted him to stay but now I'm very happy he's gone. Good luck Paul and thanks for helping us back into the league. Shrewsbury Town though??
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 24, 2016, 10:27am; Reply: 147
Quoted from lancspontooner
And about time. On Friday I just about wanted him to stay but now I'm very happy he's gone. Good luck Paul and thanks for helping us back into the league. Shrewsbury Town though??

Pretty much my thoughts on it ...... Career suicide though imo leaving a club on the up for one on the down ? I say on the up but that depends on the next manager I suppose
Posted by: forza ivano, October 24, 2016, 10:30am; Reply: 148
I know it's rumbled on for a while, but at least it's given Neil woods a few days to get his feet back under the table so he's ready to take over the reins immediately :X ??) ??) ??)
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2016, 10:32am; Reply: 149
I am glad he has gone ,

I have so many splinters on my bum by sliding down one side of the fence only to get on and slide down the other,

I am grateful for the promotion Paul and wish you well,

Now lets get the right man in to take us forward,

I understand Rob Scott is keen on the job (  joke  )   ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 24, 2016, 10:33am; Reply: 150
Quoted from forza ivano
I know it's rumbled on for a while, but at least it's given Neil woods a few days to get his feet back under the table so he's ready to take over the reins immediately :X ??) ??) ??)

I know it controversial on here but anyone from that period of our history I would have preferred to have stayed just that history ..
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 10:34am; Reply: 151
Hope Neil Woods is not quoted saying it's "unfinished business"
Posted by: OllieGTFC, October 24, 2016, 10:34am; Reply: 152
Must of been confirmed Shrewsbury and Hurst not on skybet now
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 24, 2016, 10:36am; Reply: 153
Quoted from GrimRob
Hope Neil Woods is not quoted saying it's "unfinished business"

(rant)(rant)(rant)
Posted by: RoboCod, October 24, 2016, 10:51am; Reply: 154
Quoted from chaos33

;D

You can almost picture the scene. Doig leaves BP's office this morning.A screech of tyres and clouds of smoke and Hurst leans out of the drivers window.
"Doigy !"
"Er...yeah Boss?"
"Jump in. Quick!"
"Where we going Boss?"
"Where? Didn't you get  my coded text message? SHREWSBURY! "
"But...can we pick up my Missus on the way?"
"There's no time! GET IN!!"

Part 2 next and I can't wait :-/
Posted by: GrahamH, October 24, 2016, 11:00am; Reply: 155
LOL
Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2016, 11:02am; Reply: 156
[tweet]790488552438165504[/tweet]
Posted by: lancspontooner, October 24, 2016, 11:12am; Reply: 157
The question now is which players will follow him? You look through our team and I don't see much at League 1 level at present. That's why I didn't see him getting us into the play-offs this season. You need at least 3-4 players who would play in League 1 to seriously challenge for promotion. Apart from Bogle who isn't ready yet for League 1 the only candidates are at the wrong end of their careers.

With Shrewsbury's dreadful defensive record I could see him taking my current favourite Danny Collins to quickly shore them up as he only joined us on a short-term deal and will no doubt want to play in League 1. Hope not because he has the potential to go into the Paul Futcher, Andy Todd Hall of Fame with us under a decent manager.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 24, 2016, 11:26am; Reply: 158
He was in the ticket office when I collected on Saturday and looking back he was shaking hands a lot and patting a few backs. Can't believe I didn't put two and two together.
Good luck for the future but this was handled shoddily by all sides
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2016, 11:46am; Reply: 159
Quoted from lancspontooner
The question now is which players will follow him? You look through our team and I don't see much at League 1 level at present. That's why I didn't see him getting us into the play-offs this season. You need at least 3-4 players who would play in League 1 to seriously challenge for promotion. Apart from Bogle who isn't ready yet for League 1 the only candidates are at the wrong end of their careers.

With Shrewsbury's dreadful defensive record I could see him taking my current favourite Danny Collins to quickly shore them up as he only joined us on a short-term deal and will no doubt want to play in League 1. Hope not because he has the potential to go into the Paul Futcher, Andy Todd Hall of Fame with us under a decent manager.

Collins can't go anywhere until Jan and then the new manager can start bringing his players to the club.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 6:08pm