Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 28, 2016, 1:01pm
[youtube]7qxd4n8kMcg[/youtube]
Posted by: Paris Mariner, September 28, 2016, 1:29pm; Reply: 1
Still looks like a very generous penalty to me but we'll take it! We deserved the goal in any case.
Posted by: Maringer, September 28, 2016, 1:30pm; Reply: 2
I'm surprised they missed out McKeown's excellent second half save.

Other than that, you can see we created by far the best chances. Still don't know how Jackson managed to practically clear that first half chance which should have been a tap-in (some excellent crosses from Andrew last night).

A really good penalty from Bogle as well - better than I realised at the time. If you're hitting the side netting with the shot, the keeper doesn't have a chance.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 28, 2016, 1:36pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Maringer

Other than that, you can see we created by far the best chances. Still don't know how Jackson managed to practically clear that first half chance which should have been a tap-in (some excellent crosses from Andrew last night).

A really good penalty from Bogle as well - better than I realised at the time. If you're hitting the side netting with the shot, the keeper doesn't have a chance.

Agreed. Omar has never filled me with confidence when taking penalties but that was a superb penalty last night.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 28, 2016, 1:58pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Maringer

Included in this (shorter!) package: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10596610/grimsby-1-0-newport

If that penalty was given against us I'm certain this board would be fuming! But hey ho, the amount of rubbish decisions that go against us so be it.

Superb by Bolarinwa too. Chambers may be excellent at tracking back and stuff but there's not much attacking threat. Bolarinwa (maybe as a result of not being too sure what he's doing himself!) looks like he'll make things happen with his directness. Shite defending though!
Posted by: RoboCod, September 28, 2016, 2:06pm; Reply: 5
Funny thing with the pen, must just be a poor angle on the video because absolutely no Newport players complain. 88th minute, you'd expect even a token complaint, a flap of the arms etc.
Must have been obvious from inside the box.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, September 28, 2016, 2:07pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from RoboCod
Funny thing with the pen, must just be a poor angle on the video because absolutely no Newport players complain. 88th minute, you'd expect even a token complaint, a flap of the arms etc.

Very true Robo, I did say that to my dad and brother on the way home.
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 28, 2016, 2:14pm; Reply: 7
Wasn't sure it was a pen at the time, even less convinced now. Definitely got the rub of the green there.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 28, 2016, 2:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from RoboCod

I think the run they have been on they are mentally drained and almost programmed  to lose now.....there were no real protests at the ref but plenty of them turned on the guy who "fouled" Tombola.......

Very soft IMO and arguably the "contact" started outside of the box too.......happy days.....will just have to remember this one when we get a bad one against us. ....one for the swings and roundabouts file.
Posted by: jaygy, September 28, 2016, 2:20pm; Reply: 9
I wasn't convinced it was a penalty but if you look at Newport number 17 after the penalty is given he is having a good shout at the offending player and nobody is complaining to the ref
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 28, 2016, 2:49pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club

I think the run they have been on they are mentally drained and almost programmed  to lose now.....there were no real protests at the ref but plenty of them turned on the guy who "fouled" Tombola.......

Very soft IMO and arguably the "contact" started outside of the box too.......happy days.....will just have to remember this one when we get a bad one against us. ....one for the swings and roundabouts file.

To be honest, it was about the only thing he bloody gave us all night, and as has been said, if it wasn't a penalty, you'd have thought there would have been some sort of protest from their players as well as their manager having a go at the ref rather than his player.
Posted by: Kris2, September 28, 2016, 2:50pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from RoboCod

From the angle it looks like he slips when he played the ball but  on the highlights and full game on Mariners Player their players have a right go at the guy who conceded the penalty so he must have done something. Their keeper went mental at him.

Can only guess that he clipped the back of his heels causing him to fall but seen stuff like that not given plenty of times,
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 28, 2016, 3:02pm; Reply: 12
Maybe that evens up that rugby tackle that wasn't given on Tuton.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 28, 2016, 3:03pm; Reply: 13
I suppose foul or not, they're going to have a go at him for somehow allowing his man to run from the burger van back to the pitch, steal the ball off him and run away into the penalty area!
Posted by: Kris2, September 28, 2016, 3:06pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mariner_09
Maybe that evens up that rugby tackle that wasn't given on Tuton.

I think the only way that could be evened up is if one of our players takes a gun out and shoots the opposition player and no penalty is given because that's the only way that the foul on Tuton could have been more of a penalty.
Posted by: hheh2, September 28, 2016, 3:17pm; Reply: 15
Great to see Bolarinwa playing seems like an impactful player

Posted by: gtfc98, September 28, 2016, 4:14pm; Reply: 16
Looked to me like he slipped rather than being fouled. He'd slipped keeping the ball in play yet still managed to win it ahead of their full back, and then skinned him, the positioning was awful defensively which I'd imagine was why they were complaining but it didn't look a pen to me*.

*Not that I'm complaining  8)

On an aside, sad to see Andy Todd lose his job. He was one of the best players I've ever seen play for this club.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 28, 2016, 4:16pm; Reply: 17
Yeah that late on you would have thought the Newport players would have been going mental with the ref. It was a very unexpected decision from the ref who gave us sweet F.A. all night.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 28, 2016, 4:25pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Abdul19
I suppose foul or not, they're going to have a go at him for somehow allowing his man to run from the burger van back to the pitch, steal the ball off him and run away into the penalty area!

Parkin plays for them...its common for them to see someone running back from the burger van...
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 28, 2016, 4:32pm; Reply: 19
Doesn't show up on the EFL highlights, but who did that clearance off the line for Grimsby Town in the second half?
Posted by: ginnywings, September 28, 2016, 4:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from moosey_club

Parkin plays for them...its common for them to see someone running back from the burger van...

Ambling.
Posted by: devs, September 28, 2016, 5:00pm; Reply: 21
Never a penalty but when your luck is in you need to cash in - it will fall the other way at some point
Parking grabbed Macca around throat - should have been sent off
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 28, 2016, 5:01pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Kris2

From the angle it looks like he slips when he played the ball but  on the highlights and full game on Mariners Player their players have a right go at the guy who conceded the penalty so he must have done something. Their keeper went mental at him.

Can only guess that he clipped the back of his heels causing him to fall but seen stuff like that not given plenty of times,

A bit of both, he clipped his heel but also pulled him back as he passed the ball whilst off balance.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 28, 2016, 5:08pm; Reply: 23
There is a very definite pull on the shoulder. I didn't spot it at first viewing. Having at first thought we were lucky I now think it was a great spot by the ref.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 28, 2016, 5:21pm; Reply: 24
Some of that passing by Town was very good, it's great to see us playing like that, we look a decent team and I'm very hopeful for us this season.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 28, 2016, 5:25pm; Reply: 25
I couldn't believe that penalty was given in real time, and seeing it a few times again I still can't believe it, but its about time we had the rub of the green.

On a side issue, when we have scored and the players run to the crowd for hugs and congratulations, what are the stewards trying to achieve when they attempt to intervene? Just curious, but if we score a last minute winner from the penalty spot what are the players and fans supposed to do?  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 28, 2016, 5:27pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Some of that passing by Town was very good, it's great to see us playing like that, we look a decent team and I'm very hopeful for us this season.

We play some really good stuff - I cannot believe we have come such a long way in a short space of time. The passing and movement is a joy to watch - just a few more goals distributed throughout the team and we could have a great season.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 28, 2016, 5:31pm; Reply: 27
I couldn't believe that penalty was given in real time, and seeing it a few times again I still can't believe it, but its about time we had the rub of the green.

On a side issue, when we have scored and the players run to the crowd for hugs and congratulations, what are the stewards trying to achieve when they attempt to intervene? Just curious, but if we score a last minute winner from the penalty spot what are the players and fans supposed to do?  

Stewards absorb the love that it being shown, a bit like being stood next to a ginger and them trying to steal your soul. Stay well clear of any ginger stewards.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 28, 2016, 9:05pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Marinerz93

Stewards absorb the love that it being shown, a like being stood next to a ginger and them trying to steal your soul. Stay well clear of any ginger stewards.

Not at Barnet. They find it a life-threatening experience.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 28, 2016, 9:09pm; Reply: 29
Some wonderful passing. That Jackson miss was positively Shoppian though.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 28, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 30
Ref clearly shows it was for a pull, good spot.
Posted by: NewportFan, September 28, 2016, 10:08pm; Reply: 31
Funny how most of yours think it was a soft pen and most of ours think it was stonewall.

Doesn't matter, anyway. I'm a firm believer that teams make their own luck. Good teams score last-minute goals, bad teams concede them. All the best for the rest.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 28, 2016, 10:22pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from NewportFan
Funny how most of yours think it was a soft pen and most of ours think it was stonewall.

Doesn't matter, anyway. I'm a firm believer that teams make their own luck. Good teams score last-minute goals, bad teams concede them. All the best for the rest.

Is it a confidence thing? Someone alluded to the fact your players seemed to resignedly accept it. Has that resignation passed to the fans?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 28, 2016, 10:30pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from NewportFan

You were a lot better than I was led to believe and I thought you were going to nick it in the second half. It wont be any comfort but I think you will be fine this season. Had we scored early when we were on top it might have been a struggle but you grew into the game. I am a fan of your keeper - thought he was first class.    
Posted by: NewportFan, September 28, 2016, 10:41pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Is it a confidence thing? Someone alluded to the fact your players seemed to resignedly accept it. Has that resignation passed to the fans?

Could well be, yeah. Both general (we lost three of our first four games, and each time we were drawing when the 4th official raised the added time board) and specific (Butler lunged in stupidly to concede the free-kick from which Cambridge got their winner on Saturday).

We'll have a new manager in soon, by the looks, but the new transfer rules this season mean it has to be someone who is comfortable playing the hand he's been dealt and I'm not sure Paul Newman has applied.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 28, 2016, 10:48pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from NewportFan

Could well be, yeah. Both general (we lost three of our first four games, and each time we were drawing when the 4th official raised the added time board) and specific (Butler lunged in stupidly to concede the free-kick from which Cambridge got their winner on Saturday).

We'll have a new manager in soon, by the looks, but the new transfer rules this season mean it has to be someone who is comfortable playing the hand he's been dealt and I'm not sure Paul Newman has applied.

Heh heh!

Fingers crossed you'll be singing that tune from Steve McQueen's best film (even though he didn't make it).
Posted by: ginnywings, September 28, 2016, 11:06pm; Reply: 36
I also thought Newport were a decent side given their league position and lack of wins. I think they just need a change of fortune and get some confidence back.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 28, 2016, 11:48pm; Reply: 37
I couldn't believe that penalty was given in real time,
Just curious, but if we score a last minute winner from the penalty spot what are the players and fans supposed to do?  

What's wrong with a cry of hurrah and hearty handshakes all round? We are British, don't you know? ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 29, 2016, 12:02am; Reply: 38
Quoted from NewportFan

You need to get rid of Parkin or use him as a last 10 minute sub, he isn't mobile enough to get back up front once he drops into midfield. He should have scored with a free header but other than that your other 10 players are carrying him which again must be giving them bad backs.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 29, 2016, 11:58am; Reply: 39
Their poor lad was getting an absolute lashing from the rest of the players, wouldn't of fancied that bus journey home if I was him! Tombola did excellent though, real persistence, there's going to be so much more from him I'm absolutely sure.

Parkin was a complete member no reason to go in that hard on McKeown.
Posted by: Kris2, September 29, 2016, 12:32pm; Reply: 40
By the look of it they were all asking him why he didn't just kick the ball out when he had the chance or at least made the challenge outside the box when they were in the corner, it's like he panicked and lost his man then suddenly he tried to do something and ended up fouling in the box.
Posted by: golfer, September 30, 2016, 8:38am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Doesn't show up on the EFL highlights, but who did that clearance off the line for Grimsby Town in the second half?

davis
Posted by: golfer, September 30, 2016, 8:43am; Reply: 42
Quoted from NewportFan

Isn't it nice to see a true sportsman like us Grimsby fans instead of those nasty Hartlepool people  :)
Posted by: Garth, September 30, 2016, 9:45am; Reply: 43
Quoted from golfer

Isn't it nice to see a true sportsman like us Grimsby fans instead of those nasty Hartlepool people  :)

They will be Ok when they get the monkey off their backs
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 1:07am