Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: chelseacity, September 7, 2016, 7:15pm
Assuming it does go ahead ! and assuming it is not named after a sponsor like say ' Youngs Stadium'  what would you like it to be called ?
Posted by: Ipswin, September 7, 2016, 7:20pm; Reply: 1
Can't say I care what it's called (although I'd like to retain 'Park' in the name) but I'd like it to referred to as a 'ground' rather than a stadium ffs. 'Stadiums' are somewhat grander than ours will be and they tend to have four stands for a start!
Posted by: Bigdog, September 7, 2016, 7:21pm; Reply: 2
Not a chance that it won't have a sponsored name..
Posted by: OllieGTFC, September 7, 2016, 7:41pm; Reply: 3
Peaks parkway park ? , also will each stand have there own names ? Maybe the Alan Buckley stand surely he deserve something best manager we ever had apart from hurst obviously 😏
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 7, 2016, 7:33pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Peaks parkway park ? , also will each stand have there own names ? Maybe the Alan Buckley stand surely he deserve something best manager we ever had apart from hurst obviously 😏

8)

How about the home end being called "The Pontoon Stand".

Posted by: Grim74, September 7, 2016, 7:50pm; Reply: 5
The check a trade stadium?🙊
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 7, 2016, 8:00pm; Reply: 6
The ADF stadium maybe?   ;)
Posted by: psgmariner, September 7, 2016, 8:00pm; Reply: 7
Fenty Dome
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 7, 2016, 8:01pm; Reply: 8
It will be sponsored out , the lot of it ! I do hope the Alan Buckley stand happens though . what he achieved on the budgets he worked with will never be repeated at this club................ Oh yeah , we sacked him
Posted by: Ipswin, September 7, 2016, 8:01pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Why not just 'Peakes Parkway' - It'll help visiting fans on their trudge from the station  to find it for a start (can't see Fenty's fleet of coaches plan to bus 'em to the ground lasting very long)
then you can name the stands, The Allotment Stand and the Cemetery Stand perhaps (depending on which two sides they put stands on of course)
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 7, 2016, 8:04pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from psgmariner
Fenty Dome

Only if he is willing to write off the debt for the privilege        ;)

Posted by: forza ivano, September 7, 2016, 8:06pm; Reply: 11
Got 3 main hopes for the new 'pitch -with -a -stand'  (which is brand new Grimsby slang for a state of the art sporting facility)
1 it's called the fenty fishy-dome
2 the main stand is named after Danny Boshell
3 flasks are allowed
Posted by: Ipswin, September 7, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano
Got 3 main hopes for the new 'pitch -with -a -stand'  (which is brand new Grimsby slang for a state of the art sporting facility)
1 it's called the fenty fishy-dome
2 the main stand is named after Danny Boshell
3 flasks are allowed

and plenty of tampon machines so they don't have to bring their own

Posted by: GrimRob, September 7, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 13
I would like it to be called The Fishy Stadium  :)
Posted by: LH, September 7, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 14
The Fish Bowl
Posted by: ginnywings, September 7, 2016, 8:15pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from LH
The Fish Bowl

Winner!

Ice rink could be the Big Skate.
Posted by: Davec, September 7, 2016, 8:22pm; Reply: 16
Peaks Park
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, September 7, 2016, 8:22pm; Reply: 17
The 'Addock Arena, as Grimsby folk doesn't pronounce there H's.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 7, 2016, 8:22pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings

Winner!

It COD become the PLAICE to be. I'Ll get my coat.....
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 7, 2016, 8:36pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from forza ivano

It COD become the PLAICE to be. I'Ll get my coat.....

I think you meant, EEL get my coat !

Posted by: Tinymariner, September 7, 2016, 8:42pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ipswin

Why not just 'Peakes Parkway' - It'll help visiting fans on their trudge from the station  to find it for a start (can't see Fenty's fleet of coaches plan to bus 'em to the ground lasting very long)
then you can name the stands, The Allotment Stand and the Cemetery Stand perhaps (depending on which two sides they put stands on of course)

Agree with all of this, I would like to have a Pontoon Stand though too.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 7, 2016, 8:55pm; Reply: 21
Think 'The Realist Stadium' has a ring to it
Posted by: heppy88, September 7, 2016, 9:11pm; Reply: 22
Peaks Park
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 7, 2016, 9:23pm; Reply: 23
1. HMT Grimsby Town

A link to the use of our trawlers used in WW2 (HMT = Her Majesty's Trawler).

2. Mariner Park

3. Could have Dogger Bank, Grimsby fishing grounds but it may be misthought for Dogging Bank and it would attract the wrong crowd for night games.

Home stand behind the goal  - Pontoon
Side Stand - Alan Buckley Family Stand
Side stand - 'Sponsored'
Away stand behind the goal - Mike Lyons/Mike Neweel scouse twits
Posted by: Cloudy, September 7, 2016, 9:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Marinerz93
1. HMT Grimsby Town

A link to the use of our trawlers used in WW2 (HMT = Her Majesty's Trawler).

2. Mariner Park

3. Could have Dogger Bank, Grimsby fishing grounds but it may be misthought for Dogging Bank and it would attract the wrong crowd for night games.

Home stand behind the goal  - Pontoon
Side Stand - Alan Buckley Family Stand
Side stand - 'Sponsored'
Away stand behind the goal - Mike Lyons/Mike Neweel scouse twits

I hope that home fans are behind both goals and the away fans are in one corner/side stand
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 7, 2016, 9:30pm; Reply: 25
The Extreme Codger Dome, home for crotchety old grumbling fans
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, September 7, 2016, 9:30pm; Reply: 26
Just called it peaks park, then rename the road peaks park way

Alternatively, Blundell Palace
Posted by: Abdul19, September 7, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 27
King George Park. Named after the monarch ruling at the time of opening.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, September 7, 2016, 9:38pm; Reply: 28
Buckley's name should certainly be incorporated somehow, but it's important to remember we're not just naming the stadium, but a whole Sports Park and complex.

Even if it's going to be sponsored, it would be nice to have a non-sponsored parallel name, so we could still know it as "Buckley Park" or "Furneaux Fields" or whatever, but the club and league could still style it as "Youngs Arena at Buckley Park" or "Dong Energy Arena" if they wish.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 7, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 29
One stand should be called the Kevin Moore stand, to keep alive the memory of one of the finest defenders to have pulled on the famous black and white stripes.
Posted by: realist, September 7, 2016, 9:47pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Cloudy
Think 'The Realist Stadium' has a ring to it

I like that. We would need real ale, real pies, and real football a la Buckley. Would I be allowed to walk my dog on it at half time so that it could sh*t in the goalmouths?

Posted by: forza ivano, September 7, 2016, 9:50pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from realist

I like that. We would need real ale, real pies, and real football a la Buckley. Would I be allowed to walk my dog on it at half time so that it could sh*t in the goalmouths?

I know you get a lot of stick but that was very funny
Posted by: realist, September 7, 2016, 9:54pm; Reply: 32
I take most of in good spirit but occasionally I crack.  Sorry for my comment earlier Ginnywings

I do love GTFC but unfortunately hate Fenty, Hurst, and the prospect of this development so close to me.

On a serious note, my mother lives closer to the site than I do,  and it is not pleasant seeing an elderly women in such a state of distress as she is over the stadium plans . Its only football but the impact is devastating on some. Lets be considerate to those during our debates
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 7, 2016, 10:05pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from realist
I take most of in good spirit but occasionally I crack.  Sorry for my comment earlier Ginnywings

I do love GTFC but unfortunately hate Fenty, Hurst, and the prospect of this development so close to me.

On a serious note, my mother lives closer to the site than I do,  and it is not pleasant seeing an elderly women in such a state of distress as she is over the stadium plans . Its only football but the impact is devastating on some. Lets be considerate to those during our debates

Maybe the blame for the fear lies with certain politicians whipping up feelings. I can understand you being concerned about it though.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 7, 2016, 10:06pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings

Winner!

The sides could then be the Ginnywings.
Posted by: gytone, September 7, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from realist

Serious question why would you hate Hurst ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 7, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 36
The side nearest the road could be the Railway End in recognition of what was there before the road.

How about Gooseman's Field for the ground.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 7, 2016, 10:08pm; Reply: 37
Fair play realist. We all want the same thing and if that is real ale, real pies and real football, then we are in total agreement.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 7, 2016, 10:09pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Les Brechin
One stand should be called the Kevin Moore stand, to keep alive the memory of one of the finest defenders to have pulled on the famous black and white stripes.

Great shout Les, a fitting memorial to one of our own.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 7, 2016, 10:10pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The sides could then be the Ginnywings.

:)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 7, 2016, 11:08pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

Great shout Les, a fitting memorial to one of our own.

Couldn't agree more
Posted by: gaz57, September 7, 2016, 11:10pm; Reply: 41
Like the idea of Peaks Park but what about the new pathway being called  The Fenty way and the toilets called De freitarse.    :P
Posted by: OllieGTFC, September 7, 2016, 11:37pm; Reply: 42
Would we still be keeping the  mcmenemy suite ?
Posted by: sydney, September 7, 2016, 11:30pm; Reply: 43
Why can't we wouldn't we want to stay at Blundell Park?
Weather
History
Intimidation for away teams
I will miss it but perhaps I'm fearful of change
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 7, 2016, 11:59pm; Reply: 44
3 sides of the home end called; Alan Buckley mark 1 stand, Alan Buckley mark 2 stand, Paul hurst stand,

Away end called: Alan Buckley mark 3 stand
Posted by: hheh2, September 8, 2016, 12:32am; Reply: 45
Conoco stadium  ;D
Posted by: Skrill, September 8, 2016, 12:40am; Reply: 46
I would name the new stadium:

Pelham Park In reference to Grimsby Pelham (what the club used to be called)

Also the song would fit, AT PELHAM PARK SINCE I WAS YOUNG!
Posted by: hheh2, September 8, 2016, 12:46am; Reply: 47
Maybe
Peaks Park?
Extreme Stadium?
Fish Parkway?
Mighty Peaks?
Freshney Park?
Peaks Lane?

Posted by: Tommy, September 8, 2016, 1:02am; Reply: 48
We're kidding ourselves if we think it'll be anything other than a sponsors name. Yes it'd be great to call it something of our own, but the sponsorship money will come in very handy towards the cost of the whole thing no doubt.

Same with the stands. We'd all love a stand named after Buckley etc, but the reality is we'll probably need the income from selling the stands names. And what's more, there'll be more interest and more worth to us for selling stand names when it's a brand spanking new big stadium. I think we'd be lucky to keep one stand of our own choosing and I'd go for the Pontoon to keep that behind a goal.
Posted by: Kris2, September 8, 2016, 1:07am; Reply: 49
Quoted from sydney

Yes the toilets are quite scary as is the rickety old away stand.

We need something modern and fresh to breath new life into the club and area. Make people believe and get interested in their local club again. Having an old stadium with 1970's toilets and dropping into non league doesn't do much for the image of the club and area makes it seem like a bit of a tin pot operation that belongs down there. Yes there is a lot of history there but we can't let nostalgia hold us back. Unless they can knock down all those stands and build some modern two tier ones then staying just isn't a good idea and I'm sure there is a big reason they can't do that since housing is so close.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 8, 2016, 1:24am; Reply: 50
Quoted from cmackenzie4
The ADF stadium.   ;)

The MDF Stadium.
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 8, 2016, 4:41am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Les Brechin

Can I pinch that idea Les. But if we have a family stand , 'The Moore family Stand'. Which not only keep Kevs memory, but also that of what surely must be the family with the most members to play for town. Not 100% but I believe. Roy, Les, Kev, Dave and Andy.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 8, 2016, 7:00am; Reply: 52
Think that's a brilliant suggestion Civvy.
Posted by: chelseacity, September 8, 2016, 7:33am; Reply: 53
I realise it will probably be a sponsored name but i like  THUNDERDOME
Posted by: oldun, September 8, 2016, 7:47am; Reply: 54
(.........insert sponsor........) Parkway Stadium
Posted by: Ipswin, September 8, 2016, 7:51am; Reply: 55
Quoted from Skrill
I would name the new stadium:

Pelham Park In reference to Grimsby Pelham (what the club used to be called)

I like that very apt
Posted by: Davec, September 8, 2016, 8:06am; Reply: 56
Just suggested this on the other thread before reading this one and seeing others have the same idea.

I think it is important to remember him, probably the best centre back I have ever seen play for Grimsby.

I remember when he passed away I wanted the main stand to be renamed the Kevin Moore stand.
Posted by: bedders78, September 8, 2016, 8:29am; Reply: 57
New Blundell Park
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2016, 10:51am; Reply: 58
If Youngs agree to sponsor it,

We could call it  Youngs  Mariners Community Arena

OR

YMCA for short. 8)
Posted by: Perkins, September 8, 2016, 11:35am; Reply: 59
I think its pretty obvious that in time to come, the stand nearest Weelsby Ave will be known as the Crem End.
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 8, 2016, 11:38am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Perkins
I think its pretty obvious that in time to come, the stand nearest Weelsby Ave will be known as the Crem End.

I would think that's a dead cert.  ;D

I'll get my coat !!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 8, 2016, 11:47am; Reply: 61
The official name will almost certainly be the Extreme something or other.

Unofficially I think we should just call it The Park.
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 8, 2016, 12:27pm; Reply: 62
I would also endorse the thought of stands named after Alan Buckley, and either Kevin Moore or the Moore Family stand.

I am surprised no one has mentioned it (although I haven't seen other threads yet) but I also think a case should be made for the John McDermott Stand. Record appearances, one club and a true GTFC legend imo.

UTFM
Posted by: Hagrid, September 8, 2016, 12:44pm; Reply: 63
Hagrids Hut
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2016, 12:45pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Hagrid
Hagrids Hut

Turners Toilets  :B
Posted by: golfer, September 8, 2016, 1:33pm; Reply: 65
The Fenty [back] Garden
Posted by: moosey_club, September 8, 2016, 1:43pm; Reply: 66
The ground will change name every 3 or 4 years as sponsorship changes... (cry)

but Nimby Park has a ring to it.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 8, 2016, 3:02pm; Reply: 67
Back around year 2000/2002, Conoco offered 1 million for naming rights I think, I can't remember the term of the deal.

As far as I'm concerned, whoever offers Grimsby Town the most money over whatever period should aquire the naming rights, the more money the club receives the better.
Posted by: WetFlannel, September 8, 2016, 3:56pm; Reply: 68
I have no issue giving away naming rights as long as there is a normal name to go alongside it. Very few stadiums are actually referred to by the sponsor's name (Emirates being an example, although even that has the name Ashburton Grove). New York Stadium in Rotherham has been mentioned a lot as an inspiration, yet no one called it the ASSEAN New York Stadium! I'd be happy to play in the Young's New Pelham Park or whatever name we went for, knowing that we don't actually have to use the full name.
Posted by: oldun, September 8, 2016, 4:18pm; Reply: 69
As a matter of interest does anyone know the origin of Blundell? I know there is Blundell Ave, but I guess they are named after someone of that name. Who was he/she?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 8, 2016, 4:21pm; Reply: 70
I won't believe it until the foundations are being excavated.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 8, 2016, 4:31pm; Reply: 71
Is it still going to be the same design as that earlier version of are they looking at something more interesting like Scunnys which I think looks rather good.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2016, 6:15pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
I won't believe it until the foundations are being excavated.

I wont believe it until I am sat in my seat watching our first game.
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 8, 2016, 6:19pm; Reply: 73
Pea Bung Park.    

Nuff said.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 8, 2016, 6:36pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from oldun
As a matter of interest does anyone know the origin of Blundell? I know there is Blundell Ave, but I guess they are named after someone of that name. Who was he/she?

In 1899 a guy called Peter Blundell bought the land and built the stadium where we are now, hence Blundell Park

UTM
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 8, 2016, 6:48pm; Reply: 75
Youngs Community Stadium
Posted by: golfer, September 8, 2016, 6:59pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from mariner tommy

In 1899 a guy called Peter Blundell bought the land and built the stadium where we are now, hence Blundell Park

UTM

Partly correct---but Peter Blundell died in 1601.  Peter Blundell was a wealthy clothier who plied his trade between York and London.  When he died he left various amounts to different colleges. " Sidney Sussex College " [ ring a bell] was given money and bought land in Cleethorpes and named it after Peter Blundell.
Posted by: rancido, September 8, 2016, 7:27pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from sydney
Weather
History
I will miss it but perhaps I'm fearful of change

You could have used the same argument for getting rid of all the houses around Freeman Street or the West Marsh in the late 60's. They had history, atmosphere and location. Unfortunately they , like BP, were well past their sell by date and typical of an outdated way of life.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), September 8, 2016, 7:30pm; Reply: 78
Given the infatuation of some with the current Labour 'leader' (Ho,ho,ho), how about Corbyns last stand?
Posted by: blundellpork, September 8, 2016, 7:51pm; Reply: 79
I just hope the second part is either Park or Ground. I can't stand all of these new grounds being called Stadium.
Posted by: realist, September 8, 2016, 7:57pm; Reply: 80
Councillor Shaw arena
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 8, 2016, 7:57pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from jock dock tower
  Bung Park.    

Nuff said.

Back to politics 😉
Posted by: moosey_club, September 8, 2016, 8:03pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from blundellpork
I just hope the second part is either Park or Ground. I can't stand all of these new grounds being called Stadium.

Abbey        Park
Clee           Park
Blundell      Park

Hmmmmm .... they wouldnt dare wander surely...(Confused)
Posted by: easypeersy, September 8, 2016, 8:46pm; Reply: 83
My mate wants one of the ends to be named after him cos he is such a great supporter. His name is Mr Bell.
Posted by: gary_elton, September 8, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 84
Happened at Man City... named after Colin Bell.... (blink2)
Posted by: Ipswin, September 8, 2016, 9:11pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from blundellpork

This

Posted by: Hagrid, September 8, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 86
Fish Park
Posted by: killingholmemariner, September 8, 2016, 9:28pm; Reply: 87
Mariners park for me! Buckley and McDermott to have stands named, the fishy corner has a ring to it
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 8, 2016, 9:32pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Would we still be keeping the  mcmenemy suite ?

Looking at the mugshots of the Extreme team I thought 'that lot wouldn't be allowed in to McMenemy's'.
Posted by: N2K, September 8, 2016, 11:13pm; Reply: 89
Would love something like 'The New Blundell Park' etc but realistically it's going to be 'Young's Community Stadium' or 'Extreme Sports Community Stadium'
Posted by: golfer, September 9, 2016, 8:02am; Reply: 90
GRIMSBY EVENING TELEGRAPH  1/6/2066---"It has been proposed by the controlling group " The Suffragettes " at last nights council meeting that Daubney Street be further demolished to create additional car parking facilities for TOWNS home matches now that they are in the Premiership. It is also intended to increase the height of the Main stand to 7 storeys to meet the 20000 seats required. Laughter erupted in the public gallery when Councillor Fenty suggested that a new stadium would soon be required and he put forward that the Tesco Store on Peaks Parkway be demolished and the sight used for a new 2 sided community centre.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 9, 2016, 9:56am; Reply: 91
how about sharing the sponsorship names between 2 big firms and including the name of a Town legend ; something snappy like the
'Associated British Ports Norbert Dentressangle Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro Community Sporting Fentydome Arena' ?
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 9, 2016, 10:07am; Reply: 92
Quoted from forza ivano
how about sharing the sponsorship names between 2 big firms and including the name of a Town legend ; something snappy like the
'Associated British Ports Norbert Dentressangle Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro Community Sporting Fentydome Arena' ?

Do you not read other posts ?  Are you not aware of the depth of feeling ?  Yet you still take the p1ss.

Nobody wants it called stadium or arena.  Change the last bit to Park and you might be in with a shout 😉
Posted by: cleefish, September 9, 2016, 2:30pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from WetFlannel
I have no issue giving away naming rights as long as there is a normal name to go alongside it. Very few stadiums are actually referred to by the sponsor's name (Emirates being an example, although even that has the name Ashburton Grove). New York Stadium in Rotherham has been mentioned a lot as an inspiration, yet no one called it the ASSEAN New York Stadium! I'd be happy to play in the Young's New Pelham Park or whatever name we went for, knowing that we don't actually have to use the full name.

I*  agree with you  got nice ring to  it

Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 10, 2016, 5:48am; Reply: 94
Naming rights is a given in this day and age and we should not be too bothered about it as long as it's a well recognised National Company, personally I would like to avoid any pay day loan set up.s etc...

The 4 stands (when they are all built) The new pontoon, The Alan Buckley Stand, the other 2 I would not have a clue to be honest......... If Fenty does pull this off then he should get his name up somewhere as once you step back and take all the emotion out of it a new ground with no massive benefactor after the last 10 years or so would actually be quite an achievement.          

I would use the bars, suites lounges etc.. to recognise the likes of The Moore Family, Macca, Matt Tees etc... etc...  Also the people who run the GTFC disabled supporters club should be recognised for what they do/have done each week for years.  
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), September 10, 2016, 6:56am; Reply: 95
Bestall Community Stadium
Posted by: oldun, September 10, 2016, 7:53am; Reply: 96
Quoted from mariner tommy

UTM

Thank you.
Posted by: golfer, September 10, 2016, 8:21am; Reply: 97
Quoted from oldun

Thank you.

Oh! So he gets a thank you for duff information. I gave you the true facts and get sweet f all. You can tell who your friends are.  :)
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:22am