Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: chaos33, August 28, 2016, 10:34pm
Omar Bogle made the 'ear cupping' gesture at Town fans after two of his goals on Saturday. Has he been getting abuse or stick from Town fans in the Lower Smiths, or in the Main Stand? Surely not. I don't like to see the 'ear cupping' gesture. I hated it at Wembley when Hurst did it. Amond did it at Braintree, and Omar has just done it at BP. Does it have more than one meaning? I really hate to think that Bogle (or any of our players) might be being abused or jeered by our own fans. In the case of Bogle...he has been absolutely brilliant for us. Why would he be getting flak?
Posted by: chelseacity, August 28, 2016, 10:40pm; Reply: 1
I sit in the middle of the Lower 'Young's stand ' and he has not only had no abuse, but every time he comes near the stand the fans get up out of their seats and shout at him with tons of encouragement & motivation.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 28, 2016, 10:52pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from chaos33
Omar Bogle made the 'ear cupping' gesture at Town fans after two of his goals on Saturday. Has he been getting abuse or stick from Town fans in the Lower Smiths, or in the Main Stand? Surely not. I don't like to see the 'ear cupping' gesture. I hated it at Wembley when Hurst did it. Amond did it at Braintree, and Omar has just done it at BP. Does it have more than one meaning? I really hate to think that Bogle (or any of our players) might be being abused or jeered by our own fans. In the case of Bogle...he has been absolutely brilliant for us. Why would he be getting flak?

I don't understand how "ear cupping" could be confused with abuse. Surely it is just a celebration of the moment or am I missing something.
Posted by: LH, August 28, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 3
Saw it as him enjoying the noise of the crowd more than anything.
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, August 28, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 4
I always thought ear cupping could be done in the sense of 'let's hear some noise', as in motivation or encouragement to the fans to make some noise.

Could be wrong though.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 28, 2016, 11:06pm; Reply: 5
i am with the OP on this..to me ear cupping is a gesture towards people who have been voicing disapproval...generally seen aimed at away supporters...
however i think and do hope yesterday it was just Omar wanting to hear his name rather than a tilt towards any critics
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 28, 2016, 11:08pm; Reply: 6
Does it regularly when he scores, think he did it at Wembley. I imagine as others have said its him wanting the noise from the crowd.
Posted by: Grantley, August 28, 2016, 11:26pm; Reply: 7
I've always seen it as answering abuse tbf. I'm not offended if that is what he means. Keeping score, Omar, and you can abuse us all you like.
Posted by: chaos33, August 28, 2016, 11:39pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from moosey_club
i am with the OP on this..to me ear cupping is a gesture towards people who have been voicing disapproval...generally seen aimed at away supporters...
however i think and do hope yesterday it was just Omar wanting to hear his name rather than a tilt towards any critics

Yes was hoping that. He did do it at Wembley, but that was towards the FGR fans (did well to spot them), presumably as if to say 'let's hear you now' or some such. Obviously Hurst made his own gesture for his own reasons. I just don't really like seeing it. I think it fosters ill will if it's aimed at your own fans if done as a gesture of anger, goading, defiance, resentment etc. If it's just a 'come on, let's hear it for me' action then fair enough.
Posted by: chaos33, August 28, 2016, 11:42pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Grantley
I've always seen it as answering abuse tbf. I'm not offended if that is what he means. Keeping score, Omar, and you can abuse us all you like.

What? Really?
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 28, 2016, 11:42pm; Reply: 10
I think he's saying "I listened to you Hursty".
Posted by: Grantley, August 28, 2016, 11:48pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from chaos33

What? Really?

Yep and I'm the same with Hurst's comments. If people are prepared to give out criticism (maybe not in Bogle's instance this time) then be prepared to take it back. I'm astounded when people get offended by players/the managers comments.
Posted by: chaos33, August 28, 2016, 11:52pm; Reply: 12
I'm not offended. I'm saying that it's a shame that fans might abuse players at games and that players might aim an ear cupping gesture at fans, the vast majority of whom would never dream of bashing their own players.

On saturday Bogle was brilliant and the fans loved it. I don't wanna see ear cupping. I wanna see players running into an adoring crowd and mutual acclaim and respect. I think that would be much less unseemly and much more propulsive.
Posted by: Grantley, August 29, 2016, 12:02am; Reply: 13
It was painfully obvious that the players and manager felt s clear divide between them and the fans, as shown by even Disley making comments at Wembley. It's not a small minority. Let's not forget that before Saturday, people were saying that Bogle may have been going down to easy and was starting to gain a reputation.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 29, 2016, 12:04am; Reply: 14
He's aiming it at ipswin
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2016, 12:09am; Reply: 15
Were they? I haven't heard 'people' saying that. Is there a 'clear divide' between players and fans then, because I'm not feeling that? You say it's not a small minority. What is it then?
Posted by: Grantley, August 29, 2016, 12:23am; Reply: 16
I'm not saying there is. My post should've said last season. Because there was. The Halifax period and the Braintree PO home leg as prime examples. You're telling me that was a small minority of fans?

Who do you define as 'people'?
Posted by: Kris2, August 29, 2016, 12:36am; Reply: 17
I saw him do it during pre match warm ups on the first day of the season after they showed his goal on the screen. Was he responding to abuse then too? I think it's just become his thing  and since he was the hero at Wembley and did that celebration he kept doing it like he's wanting to hear the fans chant his name. If he's seeing people be critical of him such as when people made comments about him going down too easily and he's using that as motivation like "Okay nothing is taking me off my feet in the next game" and it works then he can feel free to want to prove the fans wrong all he wants.

Fans will always be critical about something in the end that's the nature of a fanbase who wants the best for the team if you didn't complain about something it'd mean you don't care.
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2016, 12:37am; Reply: 18
Well, who do you define as 'people' Grantley? It was your statement, not mine.

I would hope that any ill feeling that existed last season would have dissipated. Jeez,  we were promoted. I didn't like seeing ear cupping at Wembley and I don't like it now. It's a new squad by and large, and a new season.
Posted by: Grantley, August 29, 2016, 12:49am; Reply: 19
'People' are those who attend games or post on here, seeing as here is probably the best place to get your voice heard as a fan.

Looks like we'll just have to disagree on this one fella.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, August 29, 2016, 2:12am; Reply: 20
I think your reading to much into this, if I remember rightly he did it at Wembley and few other games, personally i think he just wants us to shout his name
Posted by: ginnywings, August 29, 2016, 2:12am; Reply: 21
He didn't do it after the first goal he scored, which may be significant. Surely that would have been the time if he was directing it at naysayers?
Posted by: hheh2, August 29, 2016, 2:17am; Reply: 22
He's celebrating the cheering crowd

Personally I think its a great celebration especially if he scores away.
Posted by: BrickTop, August 29, 2016, 7:06am; Reply: 23
If he scores a hat - trick every game, for me, he can cup his balls and flip me the bird. Good on him. I think in this case though he's just trying to gee up the crowd, he did it a couple of times during Saturdays game, getting the crowd going.
UTM
Posted by: Mallyner, August 29, 2016, 8:20am; Reply: 24
I think he's just listening for "Omar, Omar Bogle" etc.

He might also be thinking, I have not only scored a goal, but I've also got a nice pair of ears.  ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 29, 2016, 8:29am; Reply: 25
He might want to just look like a ferengi out of Star Trek!!!

Keep up the good work omar
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 29, 2016, 8:47am; Reply: 26
He needs to get his finger out , score more goals , work harder , smile more , stay on his feet , stop sulking , hold the ball up better .................. just some of the reasons why he might cup his ears IF he reads the fishy
Posted by: Tradjazz, August 29, 2016, 9:03am; Reply: 27
Sat in Upper Smiths on Saturday and was constantly listening to a section behind me critising every touch Bogle made.Never left him alone. When first goal went in I had to turn round and gave them some stick. They thought he was lucky for that goal. It continued all the way through the match. To top it all at the end when Omar completed his hat trick the lady of the group said, I suppose he'll get man of the match now UNFORTUNATLY!!
Well I can't wait for the next home game and pray that all I hear is moaning and groaning from these 'experts' all game.
Well done Omer keep up the good work, I am sure there is more to come. UTM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2016, 9:10am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tradjazz
Sat in Upper Smiths on Saturday and was constantly listening to a section behind me critising every touch Bogle made.Never left him alone. When first goal went in I had to turn round and gave them some stick. They thought he was lucky for that goal. It continued all the way through the match. To top it all at the end when Omar completed his hat trick the lady of the group said, I suppose he'll get man of the match now UNFORTUNATLY!!
Well I can't wait for the next home game and pray that all I hear is moaning and groaning from these 'experts' all game.
Well done Omer keep up the good work, I am sure there is more to come. UTM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

That is astounding. Why do these people go?

He's doing great.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 29, 2016, 9:11am; Reply: 29
tbh i dont know if it is just a celebration (as he's done it before) or a 'dig' at the fans.

There are one or two sat near me in the Lower Findus who are quite regularly on Bogle's back (and other players to be honest). If Bogles not scored there are remarks shouted re his workrate, be stronger  etc.

I dont see how it helps....I would always shout encouragement.

PH has commented a few times in the past how difficult it can be sometimes for his players at Blundell Park if things arent going smoothly. Those comments are not always helpful and create a bit if 'us and them' mentality when the fans and players should be united. But I often sit there thinking he has a point.
Posted by: Garth, August 29, 2016, 9:14am; Reply: 30
Oh dear they should fit Omar and Hurst out with hearing aids, they can't cost much can they? come on JF hand in pocket please🤗
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 29, 2016, 9:36am; Reply: 31
I would not read too much into it as it sits with badge kissing, using the corner flag as a micro phone, Klinsman dive etc....all the players do is copy what they see on the telly!
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 29, 2016, 9:54am; Reply: 32
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
tbh i dont know if it is just a celebration (as he's done it before) or a 'dig' at the fans.

There are one or two sat near me in the Lower Findus who are quite regularly on Bogle's back (and other players to be honest). If Bogles not scored there are remarks shouted re his workrate, be stronger  etc.

I dont see how it helps....I would always shout encouragement.

PH has commented a few times in the past how difficult it can be sometimes for his players at Blundell Park if things arent going smoothly
. Those comments are not always helpful and create a bit if 'us and them' mentality when the fans and players should be united. But I often sit there thinking he has a point.

Some people are rather parochial in their views, this is part and parcel of football whether you like it or not, been going on as long as I have been going to BP and also happens at every other ground where I have heard much worse abuse of players on the pitch and other clubs forums..
Posted by: Zmariner, August 29, 2016, 9:59am; Reply: 33
Omar is hugely popular in the lower Findus where I sit. There is always criticism in football and some are way too sensitive. Hurst has a good sense of humour with it , in his interview a couple of weeks he used the word spoilt and then said best be careful. Some people see trouble in everything UTM
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 29, 2016, 9:59am; Reply: 34
I always associate cupping the ears with my grandad who was deaf as the proverbial post and him shouting at me,  "Eh lad? What did you say?"

Maybe the club doctor should investigate this outbreak of deafness, it seems to be be contagious and could lead to people waxing lyrical about drums and stuff.

It might even have a detrimental effect on the team not playing to the whistle.

Eh? What? Pardon?
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), August 29, 2016, 3:39pm; Reply: 35
Perhaps somebody should ask Omar what  is the meaning of the Ear Cupping.. before any fans see it as offensive.
Posted by: hheh2, August 29, 2016, 3:47pm; Reply: 36
The more he cups his ears the more happy all of us will be that's for sure
Posted by: GrimRob, August 29, 2016, 6:58pm; Reply: 37
I think he just runs to whatever stand happens to be near him and does it. At Wembley he ran to where VG were sitting. The original purpose of the gesture was to remark on a stand going quiet, I think for him it's a sort of "look at me" gesture. Best way is to ask him though!
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, August 29, 2016, 7:14pm; Reply: 38
Isn't he just shaping his arms into B like Mo Farrah does an M
Posted by: acko338, August 29, 2016, 7:23pm; Reply: 39
It has to be his own personal goal celebration, nothing wrong with that, and he wants the crowd to chant his name back to him !!

I hope therefore that his hands are up to his ears for most of this season, celebrating many goals for the fans to chant back to !!

Better than back flips or everyone on a scorer's shoulders to hurt a player !!
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, August 29, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 40
Not really ear cupping related, admittedly, but I was just sitting here reflecting on how far Omar has come already from the time of that first interview at BP during which he was, as memorably described by a poster on here, "shaking like a shitting dog". The fact that clearly he's still some way from where he could get to is very, very exciting.
Posted by: GTFCNiles, August 29, 2016, 11:29pm; Reply: 41
Not like the fishy to over analyse something.... :)
Posted by: davmariner, August 30, 2016, 3:13am; Reply: 42
Think the manner in which Omar cups both of his ears when he celebrates is more of a 'let me hear you chant my name' similar to the way he pointed to the name on the back of his shirt when he completed his hatrick v Stevenage.

Regarding Hurst at Wembley, I personally don't have a problem with it. Have had my season ticket in the Lower Findus for a good few years now but the odd time I've sat in the Main Stand for cup games I've been surprised by the amount of stick he's received for various things, ranging from being short, being a Yorkie, not being vocal enough on the touchline to making disagreeable substitutions. From what I hear that hasn't been uncommon over the last couple of seasons. So the way I interpreted his ear cupping more as a 'can't hear you now' to those individuals rather than a dig at the whole fanbase.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 30, 2016, 4:36am; Reply: 43
I don't blame him like a morgue sometimes at BP.

It's a passionate game players react differently some kiss the shirt badge like Magnay did lol.

Boggs always hits his chest with his hand as well to say look at me well I don't mind that one bit it shows how much he feels about the game.

Keep it going Omar the stage is yours. :) :) :)
Posted by: chaos33, August 30, 2016, 6:49am; Reply: 44
Quoted from GTFCNiles

Well, to bring it full circle - perhaps some have over analysed.

The original point I made was very simple...

I hope Bogle isn't receiving abuse from his own supporters (and cupping his ear to goad them) because he's doing really well, and there is no need for either. If it's just part of his celebration and calling for adoration, fine.

UTM
Posted by: gary_elton, August 30, 2016, 7:57am; Reply: 45
Quoted from GTFCNiles

spot on... In my opinion Omar is simply saying Come on Lets Hear You !!!

(yahoo)(yahoo)(yahoo)(yahoo)(yahoo)
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 4:49am