Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: toontown, August 28, 2016, 9:05am
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the new formation we played yesterday and which was so crucial to getting the best out of Vose, and perhaps Bogle. We played a 'xmas-tree' formation of 4-3-2-1

McKeown
Davies   Gowling     Pearson   Andrews
    Chambers   Disley  Summerfield
              Bogle       Vose
                   Jackson

Vose certainly doesnt have the willingness and ability to track back, nor the pace to beat defendres, to play wide midfield. But in a slightly withdrawn and, more importantly, tucked in role of a forward 3 he was brilliant. He has the close control and strength to receivethe balll and create a bit of space for himself to play a through ball, or veer inside to get a shot away. He was a revelation in that position and it shows how he has been wasted being asked to play a wide-midfield role he is unsuited to. People on here have said about using him either behind a front 2, or as part of a 3, and yesterday showed why.

It also suited Bogle as it meant he often had a man coming on to him (oo-er) when he received the ball instead of always being tightly marked, i felt, and allowed him to run at defenders a bit more than usual.

I wouldn't have thought that formation would have suited Jackson but he played quite well and set up Bogle for his second.

Please Hursty don't ever go back to playing Vose as a left-midfield again!
Posted by: pizzzza, August 28, 2016, 9:22am; Reply: 1
Looked like 4-4-2 to me.
Posted by: Grantley, August 28, 2016, 9:47am; Reply: 2
Chambers and Vose were hugging the line for most of the game. Bogle came deeper because that's where Mckeowns kicks ended up.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 28, 2016, 9:52am; Reply: 3
Certainly was 4-4-2 and not a Christmas tree formation or anything like!
Posted by: toontown, August 28, 2016, 9:55am; Reply: 4
vose was level with bogle behind jackson and in front of chambers/disley/summerfield when stevenage had the ball.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 28, 2016, 10:03am; Reply: 5
Quoted from toontown
vose was level with bogle behind jackson and in front of chambers/disley/summerfield when stevenage had the ball.

You were at a different game to me then. I commented how well Vose was getting back into a defensive position in the first half especially, something he had been deemed on here to being incapable of.
Posted by: Garth, August 28, 2016, 10:07am; Reply: 6
It was 442 with Vose wide
Posted by: gtfc82, August 28, 2016, 10:12am; Reply: 7
Looked a clear 442 to me too. However players like Vose seem to have a freedom to move inwards, like he did for his goal.
Posted by: bigdavemariner, August 28, 2016, 10:48am; Reply: 8
Started as a 4-4-2 and vose initially looked poor and out the game. He was getting frustrated at not getting on the ball. There was even a moment where Shaun Pearson played s dangerous looking pass and Vose had a pop. Pearson gestured to tell him to run into the channel so he could play it long. You could see the frustration in Vose sttaight away who had a moan, waved his arms and rsn off swearing to himself because he was frustrated at Pearson wanting to play the easy or lazy long ball. You can see there's a footballer in there and we need to play to their strengths (not long ball). This one moment yesterday just made it all the clearer than we need a more technical centre half who is more comfortable on the ball.

Think it was on about 25-30 minutes they pushed vose more centrally and asked Danny Andrew to push up and Diz to sit back to protect the back 4. We were playing a very lopsided formation for the majority. There was a clear moment in the game where Vose looked a different player and it was all about moving him central.
Vose centrally clearly works and links up with Bogle better than anyone. Playing as we did yesterday leaves us dangerously exposed down the left though.

Don't think Jackson had his best game yesterday (bar the link up play for Bogle 2nd). I'd much prefer to see Vose playing behind Bogle centrally and having 2 natural wingers with Chambers/Browne/Bolorinwa as think anyone with pace or power in this league will prove to be the difference
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 28, 2016, 10:50am; Reply: 9
Quoted from toontown
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the new formation we played yesterday and which was so crucial to getting the best out of Vose, and perhaps Bogle. We played a 'xmas-tree' formation of 4-3-2-1

McKeown
Davies   Gowling     Pearson   Andrews
    Chambers   Disley  Summerfield
              Bogle       Vose
                   Jackson

Vose certainly doesnt have the willingness and ability to track back, nor the pace to beat defendres, to play wide midfield. But in a slightly withdrawn and, more importantly, tucked in role of a forward 3 he was brilliant. He has the close control and strength to receivethe balll and create a bit of space for himself to play a through ball, or veer inside to get a shot away. He was a revelation in that position and it shows how he has been wasted being asked to play a wide-midfield role he is unsuited to. People on here have said about using him either behind a front 2, or as part of a 3, and yesterday showed why.

It also suited Bogle as it meant he often had a man coming on to him (oo-er) when he received the ball instead of always being tightly marked, i felt, and allowed him to run at defenders a bit more than usual.

I wouldn't have thought that formation would have suited Jackson but he played quite well and set up Bogle for his second.

Please Hursty don't ever go back to playing Vose as a left-midfield again!

I think far too much is made of formations. Vose had a confident, eye catching game, keeping wide when needed, cutting in when needed and backtracking when needed. Just like it should be when firing on all cylinders. I didn't particularly notice a new formation, just more mobility from the front players.
Posted by: chaos33, August 28, 2016, 10:51am; Reply: 10
Quoted from bigdavemariner
Started as a 4-4-2 and vose initially looked poor and out the game. He was getting frustrated at not getting on the ball. There was even a moment where Shaun Pearson played s dangerous looking pass and Vose had a pop. Pearson gestured to tell him to run into the channel so he could play it long. You could see the frustration in Vose sttaight away who had a moan, waved his arms and rsn off swearing to himself because he was frustrated at Pearson wanting to play the easy or lazy long ball. You can see there's a footballer in there and we need to play to their strengths (not long ball). This one moment yesterday just made it all the clearer than we need a more technical centre half who is more comfortable on the ball.

Think it was on about 25-30 minutes they pushed vose more centrally and asked Danny Andrew to push up and Diz to sit back to protect the back 4. We were playing a very lopsided formation for the majority. There was a clear moment in the game where Vose looked a different player and it was all about moving him central.
Vose centrally clearly works and links up with Bogle better than anyone. Playing as we did yesterday leaves us dangerously exposed down the left though.

Don't think Jackson had his best game yesterday (bar the link up play for Bogle 2nd). I'd much prefer to see Vose playing behind Bogle centrally and having 2 natural wingers with Chambers/Browne/Bolorinwa as think anyone with pace or power in this league will prove to be the difference

Good post
Posted by: toontown, August 28, 2016, 11:38am; Reply: 11
Will have to watch again on mariners player, if I am wrong I will be happy to admit it.

But Vose looked clearly further forward than the other midfield 3 to me (altho perhaps that is just his attacking preference) and certainly he was inwards plenty of the time, and bogle further back than Jackson.

Maybe it was only after 25 mins or so tho.
Posted by: bigdavemariner, August 28, 2016, 11:22pm; Reply: 12
Best part of football is how we all see it slightly differently :) as long as we're winning Hurst csn play whatever formation he wants lol
Posted by: lee65, August 29, 2016, 10:13am; Reply: 13
I think everyone is right to a degree. It deffo looked like 442 first 30 mins, but then either Vose started playing a bit more centrally, or our team realised how comfortable he is on the ball with apparently no space and seemed happier to get it to him even when "marked" which was often from a more central starting position. His close control and ability to walk around players in the second half was fantastic to watch, and for the older posters reminded me a bit of Eddie Gray from the 70's Leeds team  :)
Posted by: toontown, August 30, 2016, 7:55am; Reply: 14
Yeah having seen it again it isn't a 4-3-2-1 to be fair, altho vose isn't always playing a conventional wide left of 4-4-2 either. Vose just spends a fair bit of the game quite inward, occasionally so far inward he's on the right. Must have just caught my attention when he came inward, which tbf was when he was getting the ball and doing some good stuff.
Posted by: Pastandpresent, August 30, 2016, 9:58am; Reply: 15
If you look at top teams they always have a player or 2 that they allow to interchange position like payet at West Ham or courthino @ Liverpool I believe players win games more than playing system if we can keep vose and bogle on the front foot they. Will entertain and get us winning more than we lose
Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2016, 10:11am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Pastandpresent
If you look at top teams they always have a player or 2 that they allow to interchange position like payet at West Ham or courthino @ Liverpool I believe players win games more than playing system if we can keep vose and bogle on the front foot they. Will entertain and get us winning more than we lose

Well played on Saturday Dom, keep it up!
Posted by: rancido, August 30, 2016, 10:30am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Pastandpresent

Most teams that play 4-4-2  especially at the highest level rarely play with 2 out-and-out wingers. It's a luxury they can rarely afford because it puts more pressure in the 2 centre mids. 4-2-3-1 seems to be used more as it gives a chance for the full-backs to get forward more but still have cover from the 2 mids in front of the back four.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 30, 2016, 11:40am; Reply: 18
Interesting thread this one, and I'm with the majority; looked a bog-standard 4-4-2 to me.  I was hoping at the start of the season Hurst would adopt a 4-2-3-1 with some midfield guile in there, but if 4-4-2 gets the best out of Bogle then that's the way forward.  Maybe 3 in the centre of midfield just isn't needed at this level, although I'd be tempted to do it if (God forbid) Bogle is unavailable at any time.  Thankfully we've got a manager who knows better than we do!  He knows what he's doing.

By the way, if Bogle plays like that often then he'll be gone in January, I've not seen an individual performance of such quality in many a year.  Dozens of clubs wouldn't blink at spending £1m+ for a striker who can turn it on like that regularly......
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 11:50pm