Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 18, 2016, 9:42am
I cannot say im up on the history of Mighty Mariner to be honest but have always thought what an absolute crap mascot.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who donned the suit but surely a Harry Haddock mascot would be more appropriate for the club?
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, August 18, 2016, 9:48am; Reply: 1
He was a big improvement on the original Mighty and Mini Mariners who were constantly having to pull their noses down to see where they're going.  
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 18, 2016, 10:03am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
He was a big improvement on the original Mighty and Mini Mariners who were constantly having to pull their noses down to see where they're going.  

For some reason i cant remember these things, maybe it the mental scars are covering them up lol.
It shows that progression is needed then, unless of course people liked mighty?. I was just voicing my opinion and really could not give a toss how many little red crosses i got for it.

Posted by: Les Brechin, August 18, 2016, 10:16am; Reply: 3
This was the original Mighty Mariner, pre Andy Carr.

[img]http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/9/7/d570560a-f514-44fd-939d-354acb56237f_800.jpg[/img]
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 18, 2016, 10:22am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin

[img]http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/9/7/d570560a-f514-44fd-939d-354acb56237f_800.jpg[/img]

Well that was truly horrific. at least he was kitted out for the good old GY weather.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 18, 2016, 10:22am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

Looks more like Harry HAZMAT, Porton Down FC's mascot
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 18, 2016, 10:26am; Reply: 6
I seen him down freemo.
Posted by: Simariner, August 18, 2016, 11:08am; Reply: 7
There was also a Mini Mariner for a season or two.
Posted by: robborhino, August 18, 2016, 11:11am; Reply: 8
Forgot how bad that costume was :D
Posted by: gary_elton, August 18, 2016, 11:13am; Reply: 9
I havent gone thru all this topic or the full thread , nor am I fully up to speed on it...

but has anyone actually considered  Campaign to have Andy re-instated or has it gone beyond that ??
Posted by: Garth, August 18, 2016, 11:35am; Reply: 10
Quoted from gary_elton
I havent gone thru all this topic or the full thread , nor am I fully up to speed on it...

but has anyone actually considered  Campaign to have Andy re-instated or has it gone beyond that ??

Oh dear, another hundred comments expected, lets move on, nothing to say he wants the role anymore
Posted by: Davec, August 18, 2016, 11:55am; Reply: 11
I think the relationship between Andy Carr and John Fenty is irretrievable, it seems that John Fenty upset Andy enough to make him think in his own mind that his position was untenable.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 18, 2016, 12:04pm; Reply: 12
The original mighty mariner was from the sports telegraph ( maybe in name only)  wasn't he
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 18, 2016, 1:02pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

So that's where it went, I gave my wedding suit to the Salvation Army, glad to see someone got some more wear out of it.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, August 18, 2016, 2:08pm; Reply: 14
The original mighty costume looks like the serial killer from "I know what you did last summer" (Dreadful film from my teenage years)
Posted by: GrimRob, August 18, 2016, 3:31pm; Reply: 15
I'd still like to see The Grimsby Reaper

[img]http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/worker-dressed-as-the-grim-reaper-takes-part-in-a-mass-rally-of-picture-id88636102[/img]
Posted by: moosey_club, August 18, 2016, 3:57pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

Clearly that was just a man in a wet weather suit, not a real mascot at all.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 18, 2016, 7:19pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob
I'd still like to see The Grimsby Reaper

[img]http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/worker-dressed-as-the-grim-reaper-takes-part-in-a-mass-rally-of-picture-id88636102[/img]

Since the disastrous way the Fenty has dealt with MM issue, I think your idea would help get the fans back on track.

Although MM was a cheeky and like-able mascot, if the Grimsby Reaper is to be a successfull replacement the person who does it, would need a bag full of routines. Also he would need to keep away form the main stand, last thing we need is werthers originals and pensioners all over the floor  ;)
Posted by: robborhino, August 19, 2016, 2:21pm; Reply: 18
You could get sponsors to put their logos on the grimsby reaper costume and scythe as well ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 19, 2016, 2:36pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

Clearly that was just a man in a wet weather suit, not a real mascot at all.

For his sake, I hope it's a false head as well !!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 19, 2016, 2:44pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from gary_elton

but has anyone actually considered  Campaign to have[/b] Andy re-instated[b] or has it gone beyond that ??

He Resigned, lets move on
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 19, 2016, 3:45pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
The original mighty mariner was from the sports telegraph ( maybe in name only)  wasn't he

He certainly adorned some of the GTFC Evening Telegraph annuals in the 1950's, and was also featured on Supporter's Club badges of the same era.

Posted by: jock dock tower, August 19, 2016, 3:48pm; Reply: 22
Has a huge cult (think I spelt that right) following in Maryhill, home of Partick Thistle.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiCiPfW3s3OAhWH0hoKHYaGAFgQFgg1MAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-scotland-36686461&usg=AFQjCNGXJG-F7CczsvxiUxeYgxDqDMy_qA
Posted by: GrimRob, August 19, 2016, 4:03pm; Reply: 23
It would certainly make a good opera. Here is my sketch for the libretto.

ACT ONE, Scene 1 - Wembley. Mighty Mariner leads the team out at Wembley and milks the adoring applause of the crowd as the team wins promotion
ACT ONE, Scene 2 - The Boardroom. The directors mull over finances and say savings have to be found
ACT TWO, Scene 1 - The Scene on the Stairs. MM and the directors clash on the stairs and harsh words are exchanged
ACT TWO, Scene 2 - MM Home. MM, wracked by indecision, finally in a fit of pique resigns on Facebook.
ACT TWO, Scene 3 - The Fishy. Adoring fans take their keyboards as news of their hero filters through
ACT THREE, Scene 1 - The Boardroom. A new mascot, the Grimsby Reaper, is found by the board
ACT THREE, Scene 2 - Blundell Park. The old MM, watching from the stands, sees his replacement. The fans boo the new mascot. old MM rushes on the pitch and confronts his replacement. the Grimsby Reaper. A battle ensues.

I am uncertain of an ending. One of them could win or they both could perish.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 19, 2016, 5:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GrimRob
It would certainly make a good opera. Here is my sketch for the libretto.

ACT ONE, Scene 1 - Wembley. Mighty Mariner leads the team out at Wembley and milks the adoring applause of the crowd as the team wins promotion
ACT ONE, Scene 2 - The Boardroom. The directors mull over finances and say savings have to be found
ACT TWO, Scene 1 - The Scene on the Stairs. MM and the directors clash on the stairs and harsh words are exchanged
ACT TWO, Scene 2 - MM Home. MM, wracked by indecision, finally in a fit of pique resigns on Facebook.
ACT TWO, Scene 3 - The Fishy. Adoring fans take their keyboards as news of their hero filters through
ACT THREE, Scene 1 - The Boardroom. A new mascot, the Grimsby Reaper, is found by the board
ACT THREE, Scene 2 - Blundell Park. The old MM, watching from the stands, sees his replacement. The fans boo the new mascot. old MM rushes on the pitch and confronts his replacement. the Grimsby Reaper. A battle ensues.

I am uncertain of an ending. One of them could win or they both could perish.

The Grimsby Reaper swings his scythe at Mighty Mariner, but Mighty Mariner drops to the floor by doing the splits as John Fenty comes to have a word with them both.

Swish, the sound of the scythe cutting through the air as Fenty watches Mighty Mariner disappear and the Grim Reapers scythe come towards him...
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 10:52am