Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 30, 2016, 7:36pm
At this time on 30th July 1966 we were more then well on the way to being paralytic after an afternoon of leaping up and down in front of the telly.

We didn't care how it happened but there it was. Even my mother cried about football for the first and only time when Bobby Moore went up to collect the Jules Remi. The sight of the players as they carried the trophy around Wembley will stay with me forever. Sadly all but one of the friends and relations who gathered round our telly that afternoon have now gone .... such is life. Before long we shall lose more of the 1966 heroes too. Will they ever be replaced?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 30, 2016, 7:46pm; Reply: 1

I remember watching Alan Ball at BP when he was playing for Southampton, best player on the pitch ( 66 final ) according to some.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 30, 2016, 8:07pm; Reply: 2
I was 6 years old and can remember my older brothers going ape in the living room before heading off to Meggies and coming back plastered later that night. They went to Taddy's i think.
Posted by: Badger57, July 30, 2016, 8:27pm; Reply: 3
I was just shy of 9th birthday.
The odd thing is the only thing I remember from that day was playing England v W.Germany with my mates on the street outside St.Augustine's church just off Farebrother Street where there wasn't much traffic in those days. England won (unsurprisingly) but that was enough for me to believe it was an omen and we would win in the afternoon! 😊
Posted by: chelseacity, July 30, 2016, 8:30pm; Reply: 4
I watched the game in 1966 in Cambridge St in Cleethorpes, we were so poor my dad hired the TV for the weekend from Huxfords in Grimsby, as it happened in 1963 my grandmother lived in Suggitts lane and i was in her back garden and i heard a roar, i went out to investigate aged 9 and made my way to Blundell Park, a nice man in a white coat opened a gate & let me in, there i was a 9 year old boy on my own watching this football team called Grimsby Town, i have been hooked ever since, & tomorrow on open day i take my 2 year old Grandson wearing his Town shirt on to his first ever visit to Blundell Park, to me Grimsby Town FC & England are my teams, i better not mention my other team down the road, Chelsea.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 30, 2016, 8:37pm; Reply: 5
Just too young to remember it (sadly). I doubt it'll happen again in my lifetime due to the shameful waste of resources.

I still haven't found out who E.I. Allio is either, but we were keen to tell him we'd won the Cup.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 30, 2016, 8:41pm; Reply: 6
I was also 6 at the time ginny, just moved over from Hull and living in my grandparents guest house on Grant Street Cleethorpes. I vaguely remember dancing in the street afterwards.

Just noticed tonight 21:00 ITV 3           New: 1966 - A Nation Remembers
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, July 30, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 7
We will never win the World Cup Again.  
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, July 30, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 8
Worst thing that ever happened to English football, , , ever since then we've  thought we're good at football!!
Posted by: Rick12, July 30, 2016, 9:29pm; Reply: 9
At this time on 30th July 1966 we were more then well on the way to being paralytic after an afternoon of leaping up and down in front of the telly.

We didn't care how it happened but there it was. Even my mother cried about football for the first and only time when Bobby Moore went up to collect the Jules Remi. The sight of the players as they carried the trophy around Wembley will stay with me forever. Sadly all but one of the friends and relations who gathered round our telly that afternoon have now gone .... such is life. Before long we shall lose more of the 1966 heroes too. Will they ever be replaced?
Poignant post and well said Ron

Posted by: Chips44, July 30, 2016, 9:48pm; Reply: 10
Remember it well, I was one of the lucky ones who was there! The only way I could guarantee a Final ticket was to            
purchase a season ticket, so I booked my annual holidays and off I went. I missed some of the early games as the competition lasted longer than my allowed fortnight.After the extra time I had to hot foot it to Kings Cross to catch
the evening train back home,as I was on 4-12 shift on the Sunday !
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 30, 2016, 9:50pm; Reply: 11
It is difficult for people to appreciate quite what this day meant to the country. Whether we "deserved" it or whether it was good for our football in the long runl is totally irrelevant.

You have to remember that only 50 years before the 30th July 1966 thousands of men were in the middle of the Battle Of The Somme. Only 21 years before 1966, World War Two had still not finished. It is very hard for me to explain to younger people why the day mattered so much to us. It was after all just a game of football. But it represented so much more to us all, even people who normally had no interest in the game. We revelled in every moment.

I think as much as anything it was that we had come to really know those players as the tournament went along. We felt for them when things went wrong and we delighted when they went right. They sort of were us out there on that field, striving to do the best they could and proving that the old place had something to offer.

The players were inspirational in every way across the generations. To us lads they were something to aspire to. To our parents and grandparents they were the new generation that they had been through two world wars and decades of deprivation to create.
Posted by: Teestogreen, July 30, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 12
As a 9 year old, I watched this game on the telly 100% and it's now when you know how lucky you were to have witnessed this. England should have won a few more titles but they haven't.

I can remember missing the opening group game against Uruguay (0-0) because I was playing football in the street, but I saw the rest of the group games against France and Mexico. The game against Argentina in the quarters - bit of a blur - can't remember Rattin getting sent off - but Bobby Charlton against Portugal - what a man!

As for Geoff Hurst - the crowd - they're on the pitch - they think it's all over  -    IT IS NOW ;D
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, July 31, 2016, 1:58am; Reply: 13
I cried when England won the world cup

The announcer said that Doctor Who would be.late
Posted by: DavidB, July 31, 2016, 8:21am; Reply: 14
I watched the Final at the back of a crowded café in a small town in Germany  - we were on a bus trip of youth clubs to the Rhine valley, staying at various youth hostels, and the bus pulled up 10 minutes before kick-off and we all dispersed to whatever cafes or bars we could find that were showing the game (on small screen TVs).

There were 5 or 6 of us (including my father and some of the other organisers of the trip) squeezed into the last seats with about 30 locals in front of us, who took our cheers for the England goals in good spirit - even at the end of the game.

It was somewhat eerie though as we exuberant youths got back on the bus in the otherwise deserted town centre square, celebrating with innocent (and naiive) national pride.

We replayed the Final a couple of days later at one of the Youth Hostels in an ad hoc friendly against a team of local German lads (I think we lost!)
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 31, 2016, 3:36pm; Reply: 15
I was 18 and living at home I would have watched the game with  my dad sadly he was working,

So I watched the game by myself,

After we had won I went out into the street to celebrate,

BUT

Nobody else came out. :B
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 31, 2016, 3:45pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete
I was 18 and living at home I would have watched the game with  my dad sadly he was working,

BUT

You should have come up our end Pete,  ;D  quite a few out there round the Old Clee Club and the Spiders.

Posted by: Caveman, July 31, 2016, 7:30pm; Reply: 17
I've seen so many replays and films of that final since
it's difficult to remember that we, like most of the nation,
watched it in black and white. With England having  to play
in red shirts they appeared to be in grey.

The particular highlight of the tournament for me was,
sitting in my office one morning a few days earlier I got
a phone call from a pal."Do you want to go to the match
tonight?" were his first excited words .Someone had
three tickets for that evening's semi-final at Wembley
against Portugal and at the last minute decided they didn't
want to go.

Eight hours later we had parked on a pub car park, had a
few beers and after a five minute walk were in a near 100,000
crowd cheering England through to the final.

Carried away in the atmosphere we decided to go and celebrate
down the West End after agreeing to share the driving home.

Just after 6am the next morning I dropped my two mates off
on Weelsby Road. Neither had opened their eyes since we set
off from Covent Garden.

Thank goodness there was no breathalyser those days and, yes,
I was fifty years younger.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 31, 2016, 8:16pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

And that's what comes of growing up in Hamburg Pete.  ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 31, 2016, 8:54pm; Reply: 19
My memories of 66 are a bit sketchy

What I do recall is our old black & white TV being on the blink

I watched the first game against Uruguay at next doors all excited as most little kids were at the time

Of course it ended up being a boring disappointing 0-0 but after that England won every game and by hook or by crook I managed to get to see them all, euphoria building game by game

In between times of course the old Jules Rimet trophy went missing causing a near panic as to what would happen to the winners of the competition only to have a national hero in Pickles save the day

Come the day of the final my dad managed to get us a telly - second hand but it was better than the one that kept failing and that Saturday afternoon will never leave me

Top of the world we were and as a young boy who'd found football only a couple of years earlier this was the best ever feeling

I think RRFC above hit the nail on the head.....there was a connection between the public and the lads who had pulled on the shirts to represent our country

We were with them all the way and they repaid us with the trophy. Every single one of them public heroes....they were just at one with us; lads who had stepped up and enjoyed the privilege and who wore the shirt with pride

I don't think we'll ever see the day again when we are all in it together which is something that must have motivated the team

Nowadays there is such a gulf between players and fans and in my opinion that doesn't help in any way. Time will tell but it's unlikely that the modern mercenaries have it in them to go all the way with the nation's expectations weighing too heavily on them

Still for those of us who were lucky enough to experience the event 50 years ago we should be thankful. We witnessed something that the current generation are unlikely to see. One moment in time that we still recall and look back on fondly even half a century later
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 1, 2016, 9:46am; Reply: 20
Great to hear I was born in 72 so missed out.Since I was born the closest we have got to glory was Italia 90 and we were so close I think the key must be getting that bit of luck England have seldom had I can still see Gazza sliding in and straining every sinew to get on the end of a cross.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 1, 2016, 11:44am; Reply: 21

You should have come up our end Pete,  ;D  quite a few out there round the Old Clee Club and the Spiders.

Not far away mate I lived in Normandy road.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 1, 2016, 12:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from KingstonMariner

And that's what comes of growing up in Hamburg Pete.  ;)

It was my grandfather who was born in Germany mate,

He left Hannover when he was only 2 years old,

One good thing about having a little bit of Germany in the blood line is,

We have won more than one world cup. ;D

The wife is half Danish so that evens it up a bit.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 1, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete

It was my grandfather who was born in Germany mate,

He left Hannover when he was only 2 years old,

One good thing about having a little bit of Germany in the blood line is,

We have won more than one world cup. ;D

The wife is half Danish so that evens it up a bit.

Hah hah! Never knew that. If your wife and grandad ever met they could have had a bit of a barney about the Schleswig-Holstein War  ;)
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 8:07am