Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, July 23, 2016, 7:20pm
https://youtu.be/4XTUNH4olcQ
Posted by: jaygy, July 23, 2016, 7:30pm; Reply: 1
Whatever happened to our black and white stripes?  :-/
Posted by: Sigone, July 23, 2016, 8:15pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from jaygy
Whatever happened to our black and white stripes?  :-/

Thats it..our lack of attacking threat was quite clearly because the players couldn't see each other. (well it worked for fergie)
Posted by: chaos33, July 23, 2016, 8:21pm; Reply: 3
Note how we'd given up playing with any centre midfielders by the time they scored their third.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 23, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 4
Gowling doesn't cover himself in glory
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 23, 2016, 8:38pm; Reply: 5
Gowling struggled today but he won't face that sort of quality in lge 2
Posted by: Maringer, July 23, 2016, 9:27pm; Reply: 6
Pearson at fault for the first, ball-watching and completely out of position for the cross. God only knows what Gowling was doing for their second and we made the break much too easy for the third with a poor line. That said, we'll not be playing strikers of Billy Sharp's ability too often and the tall, athletic lad alongside him caused both central defenders real problems as well.

Regardless of the opposition, I think that both central defenders will want to be putting in better performances than that for most of the season, as both were below their usual standards.

Not a great deal of help coming from the midfield at times, however.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 23, 2016, 9:34pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Gowling struggled today but he won't face that sort of quality in lge 2

They are only 1 league above us
Posted by: Meza, July 23, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 8
Im not overly worried about the result....atleast we know theres improvement needed.  Getting to know each others strengths, fitness and tatics is what pre season friendlies are for.  Players might not give it there all incase they get injured so maybe a little reserved but thst depends on the characters.  Gunning for promotion is not one i see us go for...it has to be mid table.  We put too much expectancy on ourselves and the fans will be on at the players early doors.  We need to be realist....playoff place would be awesome but I'll be content in mid table.  
Posted by: TonySmith, July 24, 2016, 1:25am; Reply: 9
I agree with Meza. We all want our team to do as well as possible, but let's have a season where any defeat is not a major crisis. I will be very happy if Town can re-establish themselves as a solid member of the football league. We will ( hopefully ) win as many as we lose, maybe more if things go well, but anything beyond that in this upcoming season would be just icing on the cake for me. Unless we are near the bottom of the league at Christmas I will just be enjoying the fact that Town are back in the league.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 24, 2016, 9:30am; Reply: 10
Why is everyone settling for mediocrity before the season starts we should aim for promotion, most teams that come out of the conference sarry on up to Div so why shouldn't we. What will be more attractive to players we want to sign next season a mid table ave team or one that just missed out on the playoffs/is in league :-/
Posted by: chaos33, July 24, 2016, 9:48am; Reply: 11
People are just calling it as they see it mate. I think consolidation and establishing ourselves on L2 is priority and I suspect most might justifiably think the same, even though we are ambitious. Plus, do you get the feeling that we have signed good enough players generally to mount a promotion challenge?
Posted by: Grantley, July 24, 2016, 9:51am; Reply: 12
Madeleymariner, most teams that get promoted go up to League 1 consecutively? Out of the last 10 teams to get promoted, only 2 have achieved double promotions. Think about what you're saying.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 24, 2016, 10:31am; Reply: 13
Stand corrected :X
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 24, 2016, 10:40am; Reply: 14
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

Thanks for putting the goals up for us to view.
Posted by: Garth, July 24, 2016, 11:01am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Why is everyone settling for mediocrity before the season starts we should aim for promotion, most teams that come out of the conference sarry on up to Div so why shouldn't we. What will be more attractive to players we want to sign next season a mid table ave team or one that just missed out on the playoffs/is in league :-/

Truth is we were an average non league team that through grit and determination managed to haul ourselves over the line at Wembley, (Like Bristol R), the difference is we have made more changes this season than they did and its showing at the moment until we are settled, consolidation is not a bad second for this season
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 24, 2016, 1:01pm; Reply: 16
As has been said by others, this season is different from the last 6. The target is lower. And let's be honest, with a completely new team, consolidation is the realistic expectation. We might even flirt with the relegation places for a while. Feeling much less anxious than previous years.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 24, 2016, 2:31pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Garth

Truth is we were an average non league team that through grit and determination managed to haul ourselves over the line at Wembley, (Like Bristol R), the difference is we have made more changes this season than they did and its showing at the moment until we are settled, consolidation is not a bad second for this season

The Bristol Rovers comparison isn't really true - they finished one point behind the champions, we were 21.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 11:29pm