Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 19, 2016, 11:30am
I see that there will be at least 1600 "comforts" on Saturday.

Here's hoping for a decent turnout of Town fans too.

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/grimsby-town-sheffield-united-3193483.aspx

Posted by: chelseacity, July 19, 2016, 12:19pm; Reply: 1
The past 6 years has been really nice meeting the very few away fans that have come along, though the club must have lost a lot of money on away fans being so few with the exception of our friends down the road in Lincoln. We have made many friends over the last 6 years with our courtesy shown by our fans, i would like to think that now we are back in the league we can welcome the Sheffield United fans in the same way, and remember they are bringing money to our area as well as putting money into our football club.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), July 19, 2016, 12:56pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from chelseacity
The past 6 years has been really nice meeting the very few away fans that have come along, though the club must have lost a lot of money on away fans being so few with the exception of our friends down the road in Lincoln. We have made many friends over the last 6 years with our courtesy shown by our fans, i would like to think that now we are back in the league we can welcome the Sheffield United fans in the same way, and remember they are bringing money to our area as well as putting money into our football club.

The league is a different ball game. So are the fans. I will miss that aspect of non-league.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 19, 2016, 11:43pm; Reply: 3
I won't miss anything non league
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 20, 2016, 11:11am; Reply: 4
Interesting comments from the Blades forum :-

"I work with a Grimsby fan and he's a right girl private so I hope we stuff em."

"They're all girl privates, I flipping hate Grimsby. Needless to say I'm going."
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 20, 2016, 11:41am; Reply: 5
They hope they stuff us in a pre-season friendly?

Wow!
Posted by: Maringer, July 20, 2016, 11:52am; Reply: 6
Well, to be fair, I hope we stuff them. Not for any particular reason - I just like it when we stuff any team!  ;)

Hmmm. Wonder if I'll be able to get permission from the missus to see my first friendly of the season?
Posted by: Cloudy, July 20, 2016, 12:40pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from arryarryarry
Interesting comments from the Blades forum :-

"I work with a Grimsby fan and he's a right girl private so I hope we stuff em."

"They're all girl privates, I flipping hate Grimsby. Needless to say I'm going."

Must work with ska face ;)
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 21, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 8
GTFC Twitter account saying they are going to sell out their 1900 allocation.  Have to say that is amazing for a pre season friendly even if half of them are combining it with their annual holiday in clee.

When was the last time we had that many away fans? Don't think either sunny or Huddersfield bought that many in the fa cup?maybe Spurs or newcastle?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 21, 2016, 8:32pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Cloudy

Must work with ska face ;)

(2guns)(2guns)    ;D ;D
Posted by: Grim74, July 21, 2016, 8:38pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Posh Harry
GTFC Twitter account saying they are going to sell out their 1900 allocation.  Have to say that is amazing for a pre season friendly even if half of them are combining it with their annual holiday in clee.

When was the last time we had that many away fans? Don't think either sunny or Huddersfield bought that many in the fa cup?maybe Spurs or newcastle?

So they should have a good following they are all here on their holiday making the town look untidy it's like a sports direct fashion show, even the Gypsies intercourse off during the school holidays knowing that rabble are wobbling about stinking of chip fat.

Posted by: Les Brechin, July 21, 2016, 9:01pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Posh Harry

Donny in the JPT the season we lost to The illegitimate Franchise Scum brought about 2500. They had more fans there on the night than we did. They were the holders at the time but it was still an amazing following. The had all The Osmond, the corner and part of The Main Stand.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 21, 2016, 9:36pm; Reply: 12
They also scored our goal of the season  ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 21, 2016, 9:37pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19
They also scored our goal of the season  ;D

Yeah, it was a bit windy that night IIRC.  ;D

I think that was also the game when Paul Bolland missed in the penalty shoot-out but the ref ordered a retake which he scored. Very rare you see a retake in a penalty shootout.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 22, 2016, 7:51am; Reply: 14

GRIMSBY Town could unveil a new signing today – just in time to make his debut in tomorrow's friendly with Sheffield United (3pm).

Should give a little boost to the home gate if it happens.

Posted by: mariner91, July 22, 2016, 8:22am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Grim74

So they should have a good following they are all here on their holiday making the town look untidy it's like a sports direct fashion show, even the Gypsies intercourse off during the school holidays knowing that rabble are wobbling about stinking of chip fat.

What a pleasant chap you are.
Posted by: Grim74, July 22, 2016, 8:37am; Reply: 16
Quoted from mariner91

What a pleasant chap you are.

If you want pleasant I suggest you keep away from Cleethorpes centre on Saturday especially if you have kids, it's safe to say there will be plenty of United down for more than just a footy game.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 22, 2016, 9:57am; Reply: 17
I welcome the blades coming in big numbers and their dosh  :)
Posted by: Fat Cobra, July 22, 2016, 9:59am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Grim74

If you want pleasant I suggest you keep away from Cleethorpes centre on Saturday especially if you have kids, it's safe to say there will be plenty of United down for more than just a footy game.

Cod and chips with a 24 pack of special brew to wash it down?

Pull the pig will be a craic on Saturday night.
Posted by: Perkins, July 22, 2016, 3:11pm; Reply: 19
I doubt with this only being a friendly it will live up to anything like previous encounters of which there have been some classics.
The best I remember was the end of season game in 1980 when we beat them 4-0 and won promotion from the third to the second division. Over 19,000 at BP with Joe Waters scoring and Drinkell getting a hat trick.
Their side had the magical & legendary Alex Sabella who went on to play for Leeds and managed Argentina till 2014, but he was kept totally out of the game that day by our own legend Kevin Moore.
Great Days.

Posted by: Les Brechin, July 22, 2016, 3:35pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Perkins
I doubt with this only being a friendly it will live up to anything like previous encounters of which there have been some classics.
The best I remember was the end of season game in 1980 when we beat them 4-0 and won promotion from the third to the second division. Over 19,000 at BP with Joe Waters scoring and Drinkell getting a hat trick.
Their side had the magical & legendary Alex Sabella who went on to play for Leeds and managed Argentina till 2014, but he was kept totally out of the game that day by our own legend Kevin Moore.
Great Days.

[img]http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275785/Article/images/18126101/4556072.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Perkins, July 22, 2016, 4:29pm; Reply: 21
Great picture Les, You in the picture or didn't you invade?
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 22, 2016, 7:05pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Les Brechin

[img]http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275785/Article/images/18126101/4556072.jpg[/img]

My first ever town game. No wonder I was hooked from that day to the end of my days.

Still remember being in the main stand with my dad, god rest his soul. The memories I have are still clear, Drinks goals, sabella's flowing dark hair, smells of fags and beer and the trophy presentation and crowd on the pitch afterwards.

Doesn't get much better than that for a first game!
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 22, 2016, 9:36pm; Reply: 23
Sounds like the Sheffield UTD players are under pressure from within tomorrow -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLJLjQEm7I

UTM
Posted by: oochiad, July 22, 2016, 10:08pm; Reply: 24
Not surprised, Halifax beating them on Tuesday night 2-0.........

UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 23, 2016, 1:01am; Reply: 25

For what its worth my daughter lives about two streets away from Bramall Lane, myself and my wife could of gone to one game at Sheff UTD for free last season having won a competition but we couldn't be arssed, so our daughter went instead ( I think they lost 2-0 at home to the Scunts)
Posted by: oldun, July 23, 2016, 8:01am; Reply: 26
Quoted from promotion plaice
Sounds like the Sheffield UTD players are under pressure from within tomorrow -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLJLjQEm7I

UTM

Their manager does not sound too bright. Speaks in sound bites and repeats himself. Apart from saying the performance was not acceptable he gave no clue as to what he thinks needs to change. His message to his players seemed to be buck your ideas up or ship out.
Posted by: monkeyboy, July 23, 2016, 8:31am; Reply: 27
How much is it ?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 23, 2016, 8:49am; Reply: 28
Of course they will sell out half of them are already here  on the fitties 😀
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, July 23, 2016, 9:02am; Reply: 29
Hope the local chippies have extra cod and Henderson's relish on order so they can cope!

Good to see a decent away following.  Take out the Gimps and it's probably more than all the other away fans who came to BP last year combined!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 23, 2016, 11:31am; Reply: 30
I think we will win today, Hursty a Wednesday fan so he will make sure of it
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 23, 2016, 12:03pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Perkins
Great picture Les, You in the picture or didn't you invade?

I was on the pitch that day, it's the only time I've ever gone on to the pitch in 40 years supporting Town.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 23, 2016, 3:08pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Perkins
Great Days.

There used to be a story that when they signed Sabella they where offered a young Diego Maaradona for £100K he was just about to break into the national team but their chairman at the time thought it was a gamble. Whether it's true or not I don't know but the story did the rounds for ages.  
Posted by: Grim74, July 23, 2016, 5:15pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Grim74

To the 18 political correct liberal lefties who stink this forum out can I just say......I did tell you what was going to happen  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, July 23, 2016, 6:15pm; Reply: 34
With that level of insight and perception, perhaps you should have been an investigative journalist.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 23, 2016, 6:58pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from HertsGTFC

There used to be a story that when they signed Sabella they where offered a young Diego Maaradona for £100K he was just about to break into the national team but their chairman at the time thought it was a gamble. Whether it's true or not I don't know but the story did the rounds for ages.  

He mentioned them in his book but didn't go into any detail iirc.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 6:21am