Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cloudy, July 1, 2016, 4:10pm
Not taken up the contract offer from Plymouth.

Scored goals for fun last season. Although Bristol born had a spell at Rotherham and Oldham in the past

Would be the cherry on the cake IMO
Posted by: H19P1, July 1, 2016, 4:24pm; Reply: 1
Reid'o
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 1, 2016, 5:26pm; Reply: 2
He must be heading to a club in a higher division.
Posted by: acko338, July 1, 2016, 5:36pm; Reply: 3
If the club pull that one out of the hat, then we must be going for another promotion season.

He could make a vast difference up front.

Probably going higher though to be realistic.
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 1, 2016, 5:46pm; Reply: 4
Didn't they lose in the play offs last season? Why would he want to leave a club with realistic promotion prospects and move north to a club that are a re- build and an unknown quantity next season. I cannot see it but would be excited if true. Any reliable source or reason or just a notice that he hasn't signed a new contract that's all.?
Posted by: Meza, July 1, 2016, 5:48pm; Reply: 5
Plymouth have signed some great strikers

Jordan Slew
David Goodwillie
Jamille Matt

Sometimes players want a change....but can't see it myself.  Would be a great signing though.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 1, 2016, 5:53pm; Reply: 6
Failed medicals at Notts Co and Bristol Rovers according to someone on Twitter
Posted by: Garth, July 1, 2016, 6:14pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from jimgtfc
Failed medicals at Notts Co and Bristol Rovers according to someone on Twitter

Grimsbyites?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 1, 2016, 6:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Meza

Jordan Slew
David Goodwillie
Jamille Matt

Sometimes players want a change....but can't see it myself.  Would be a great signing though.

Jamille Matt signed for Blackpool. He was only on loan at Plymouth back end of last season.
Posted by: Meza, July 1, 2016, 6:22pm; Reply: 9
Ah my bad 😆
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 1, 2016, 8:45pm; Reply: 10
He's been training with Plymouth for pre season
Posted by: Garth, July 4, 2016, 5:52pm; Reply: 11
Just to bump it up in case anything comes of it
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 4, 2016, 7:52pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Meza

Jordan Slew
David Goodwillie
Jamille Matt

Jordan Slew a great striker?! Are you taking the urine?
Posted by: Abdul19, July 4, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 13
4 goals in 5 seasons is pretty good.
Posted by: Meza, July 4, 2016, 8:16pm; Reply: 14
He's a bit like a LJL type of striker so obviously not good at hitting the onion bag 😄

Ok ok maybe i was being too generous.  Lol
Posted by: Davec, July 5, 2016, 7:10am; Reply: 15
Reid will go to a league 1 club probably
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 5, 2016, 7:12am; Reply: 16
Reid was apparently on a big salary at Plymouth and has reportedly failed medicals at a couple of clubs. Somebody will take a gamble but not sure it would fit with what PH usually does. We'll see.
Posted by: oldun, July 5, 2016, 7:35am; Reply: 17
He originates from the West Country so more likely to stay in the south west.
Posted by: DocTower, July 5, 2016, 7:39am; Reply: 18
Quoted from oldun

There are plenty of money bag teams down there who would take a gamble .   Less sexy up north .
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 5, 2016, 7:40am; Reply: 19
Quoted from oldun

Not necessarily. He's played in the North/Midlands for a large chunk of his career and think Nott Co is one of the clubs he was rumoured to have failed a medical at.
Posted by: acko338, July 5, 2016, 8:41am; Reply: 20
So if he has failed two medicals as rumoured on here how does any club cover themselves against future injuries if they take a risk in signing him?

You certainly wouldn't risk paying a fee?

However good a player , I doubt that the club could afford to take him on unless medical / insurance assurances were put in place in advance.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 5, 2016, 8:49am; Reply: 21
He's out of contract so wouldn't involve a fee. If he has failed a medical I guess why he's failed it is pretty important but I bet somebody will take a gamble. Don't think it will be us though.
Posted by: Garth, July 5, 2016, 8:51am; Reply: 22
Would we want to pay big monies for a player who was deemed not fit enough medically by two other clubs, his he really that good to take such a risk.
Would it be Liam Hearn a hundred times more?
Posted by: chaos33, July 5, 2016, 8:52am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
He's out of contract so wouldn't involve a fee. If he has failed a medical I guess why he's failed it is pretty important but I bet somebody will take a gamble. Don't think it will be us though.

I agree and I hope, on that basis, that it isn't us.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 5, 2016, 9:01am; Reply: 24
Pffffffft they haven't got Dave moore's healing hands
Posted by: oldun, July 5, 2016, 10:44am; Reply: 25
based on that medical information I am out
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 5, 2016, 12:54pm; Reply: 26
I wouldn't count him out due to failing medicals elsewhere. There are lots of examples of players failing medicals and going on to make successful careers (John Hartson, Ruud van Nistlerooy, Leroy Fer, Demba Ba, George Boyd - yes I did search google for the names), it all depends on what they have failed for. Plymouth have made him an offer (from what I have read) but he has turned them down. I can't see the injury issue being that bad if they have offered him a new contract. I would guess (and it only a guess) that they have offered him lessor terms than before due to a lack of game time (mainly caused by previous injuries) and as a footballer with an ego (which I think we all agree the majority of them have) he does not want to be seen by others as the club as the bloke who took lower wages. Could look a bit desperate and not help his image around the club.

With that in mind he may well be prepared to move to another club on the same wages that Plymouth have offered or even a bit less just to save face.

Could be completely wrong of course (often am) but still think he could be a good option with what seems like a decent scoring record over the years.

UTFM
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 5, 2016, 1:01pm; Reply: 27
Did he fail the medical or fail to agree terms. I'd never believe what every club releases to the press!
Posted by: Cloudy, July 5, 2016, 1:03pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from oldun
based on that medical information I am out

What medical information is that?

I can only see that Reid may have failed a medical elsewhere ( Bristol Rovers?) no proof, just a wild rumour as far as I can see.

Still good to see Shaun Pearson do so well for Barnsley last season
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 5, 2016, 1:05pm; Reply: 29
We could just be 'shopping' around
Posted by: lee65, July 5, 2016, 1:25pm; Reply: 30
[quote=120966]I wouldn't count him out due to failing medicals elsewhere. There are lots of examples of players failing medicals and going on to make successful careers (John Hartson, Ruud van Nistlerooy, Leroy Fer, Demba Ba, George Boyd - yes I did search google for the names), it all depends on what they have failed for. Plymouth have made him an offer (from what I have read) but he has turned them down. I can't see the injury issue being that bad if they have offered him a new contract. I would guess (and it only a guess) that they have offered him lessor terms than before due to a lack of game time (mainly caused by previous injuries) and as a footballer with an ego (which I think we all agree the majority of them have) he does not want to be seen by others as the club as the bloke who took lower wages. Could look a bit desperate and not help his image around the club

I remember Asa Hartford who had a decent career who was turned down by the mighty Leeds team of the 70,s for having a hole in the heart. He went on to play for Man City (I think?) and Scotland.
I saw him play for Boston in the late 80's too  :)

Posted by: oldun, July 5, 2016, 1:42pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Cloudy

What medical information is that?

I can only see that Reid may have failed a medical elsewhere ( Bristol Rovers?) no proof, just a wild rumour as far as I can see.

Still good to see Shaun Pearson do so well for Barnsley last season

Information widely mentioned on here about failing medicals at 2 clubs. If we are to ignore Medicals why bother getting them done? I'm still out.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 5, 2016, 1:45pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from lee65

I remember Asa Hartford who had a decent career who was turned down by the mighty Leeds team of the 70,s for having a hole in the heart. He went on to play for Man City (I think?) and Scotland.
I saw him play for Boston in the late 80's too  :)

As David Coleman called him, "a whole-hearted player"  ;D
Posted by: Harry Haddock, July 5, 2016, 2:04pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from oldun

Information widely mentioned on here about failing medicals at 2 clubs. If we are to ignore Medicals why bother getting them done? I'm still out.

It depends what the reason is for failing the medical. Some clubs are willing to take a risk.

I remember Remy failing a medical at Liverpool only for Chelsea to step in and sign him for 4 years.

Personally I don't think we're in a position to take a risk
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 5, 2016, 3:08pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
We could just be 'shopping' around

Ok Woz. You have now got me intrigued.

I have seen 2 or 3 postings giving the impression that you might have a bit of inside knowledge about something then I saw your above quote.

Went on Newport forum and a Lincoln fan has started a thread saying he believes they are interested in The Shop. Nothing concrete in the thread, but are you suggesting that we may be on the verge of bringing LJL back to the club? Not sure on my overall thoughts about this but he would certainly fit the 'battering ram' that many have been calling out for.

Am I putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 Woz?
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 5, 2016, 3:19pm; Reply: 35
I put the same 2 and 2 together
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 5, 2016, 3:29pm; Reply: 36
I would love the shop to come back, his last season for us he was awesome. Can't see it happening but bogle could certainly play off him. The other striker maybe a small nippy lad a bit of a poacher. That would bring a good mix of strikers. Can't see shop coming back, also not sure how he did last season with Newport is he good enough for league 2?
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 5, 2016, 3:46pm; Reply: 37
I think he was injured for a large part of the season so they won't have seen that much of him to suggest he was or wasn't capable of L2 football. What we do know is that PH trusts him to do a job and when he is sent onto the field he does it to the letter (apart from maybe scoring a few more from open play). It would take a fee I'm sure, but I guess it will be down to how well he has settled and how much we are prepared to pay.

Interesting!

UTFM
Posted by: UTMariners, July 5, 2016, 7:56pm; Reply: 38
Yeah he signed a two year contract so would cost. Would be interesting to see fans reaction if it did happen, but cant see it myself.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 5, 2016, 8:06pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Posh Harry

Ok Woz. You have now got me intrigued.

I have seen 2 or 3 postings giving the impression that you might have a bit of inside knowledge about something then I saw your above quote.

Went on Newport forum and a Lincoln fan has started a thread saying he believes they are interested in The Shop. Nothing concrete in the thread, but are you suggesting that we may be on the verge of bringing LJL back to the club? Not sure on my overall thoughts about this but he would certainly fit the 'battering ram' that many have been calling out for.

Am I putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 Woz?

Woz is a drunk from Gloucester and has no inside knowledge whatsoever :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 5, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 40
Reid failed a medical at Bristol Rovers,

So if Paul was interested in signing him I am sure he would have checked with his mate,

To see if a gamble was worth it.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 5, 2016, 10:34pm; Reply: 41
John Lewis scored 3 league goals last season. Is that someone we should be paying a fee for? I'd be more interested in other options but we'll see.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 6, 2016, 7:31am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Cloudy

Woz is a drunk from Gloucester and has no inside knowledge whatsoever :)

No, I just live here
Posted by: 97 (Guest), July 6, 2016, 9:13am; Reply: 43
I don't want LJL back here. And I liked him.

Nothing personal, but we should be moving forwards not back. And I don't want my season ruined by the inevitable gobshites in the findus tearing him apart every game.
Posted by: chaos33, July 6, 2016, 9:20am; Reply: 44
Quoted from 97
I don't want LJL back here. And I liked him.

Nothing personal, but we should be moving forwards not back. And I don't want my season ruined by the inevitable gobshites in the findus tearing him apart every game.

Good point. I also like him and think he has some great assets as a conference striker. Just don't want to go back to that.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 6, 2016, 9:28am; Reply: 45
Spot on chaos.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 11:29am