Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 30, 2016, 10:06pm
Just been told graham as been diagnosed with cancer, please be sensitive around him. Graham is gtfcs no 1 fan in my eyes if u see him in the street all he wants to chat about his town town and more town. Top lad
Posted by: Hagrid, June 30, 2016, 10:08pm; Reply: 1
Graham from the disabled supporters? A lovely guy and i wish him all the best in battling a horrible illness, and hope to see him at BP very soon. Towns biggest fan
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 30, 2016, 10:10pm; Reply: 2
Yes
Posted by: LH, June 30, 2016, 10:15pm; Reply: 3
His family have released the news on Facebook. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Graham!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 30, 2016, 10:15pm; Reply: 4
That's awful. I've known Graham on and off since he was a lad hanging around BP, King George's, Sussex Sixes ..... anywhere he could see a goalpost. Let's hope he wins this one.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 30, 2016, 10:16pm; Reply: 5
Is family have put it on social media but my pal told me. Take it off admin if I've offended anyone my intention was to offer him support if only silent support
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 30, 2016, 10:29pm; Reply: 6
Bless him, Graham is a lovely lad and undisputed Town's No1 fan, get well soon Graham.
Posted by: KK_DOG, June 30, 2016, 10:40pm; Reply: 7
Probably helps if the full facebook post is put on as follows.
George Holness
1 hr ยท

A Message To All That Know Graham As A Family We Thought You Should All Know Graham Has been Diagnosed With Bowl Cancer,The reason We Are Informing You Is He Has Lost Around 6 Stone In Weight And We Would Appreciate People Not Asking Him Awkward Questions,Graham Knows Whats Wrong With Him But So Far Has Not Used The word Cancer To Any Of Us His Family,He Will Start Radio Therapy On The 17th July For 25 sessions Also Chemo For the Same Period,Im Sure Graham Will attend The First Few Friendlies But When His Treatment Gets Under Way He May Not Be Well Enough To Be Able To See Town Kick Of The New Season But If We Can Get Him There We Will,If Anyone Wishes To Ask Me Anything Regarding Graham Please Inbox Me on Fb Thanks
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 30, 2016, 11:02pm; Reply: 8
Get well soon Graham

Bless you
Posted by: gtfc98, June 30, 2016, 11:05pm; Reply: 9
Bless him, lovely bloke and always puts a smile on everyone's face with his enthusiasm for the club. Hope he makes a full recovery and is well enough to enjoy our season back in the football league. Sure the club will have something lined up!
Posted by: sutton mariner, June 30, 2016, 11:24pm; Reply: 10
All the best Graham!
Posted by: crusty ole pie, June 30, 2016, 11:25pm; Reply: 11
Thoughts are with graham and his family, and I am sure that in saying this if there is any help the family needs it only needs to ask the fishy or the trust and we will rally round like we always do
God bless you graham and here's to a speedy recovery utm
Posted by: Bigdog, June 30, 2016, 11:49pm; Reply: 12
Good luck Graham. A true GTFC legend.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 1, 2016, 12:40am; Reply: 13
Wishing Graham all the best with his treatment and I hope to see him at BP soon.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 1, 2016, 3:56am; Reply: 14
May I just add my good wishes to Graham one of Grimsby's finest, come on mate you can beat this god awful illness.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 1, 2016, 6:36am; Reply: 15
Get well soon graham.

One of our best town fans and hoping to see you back at BP soon mate.
Posted by: TAGG, July 1, 2016, 6:43am; Reply: 16
Wish the lad and his family all the best.
Sad news for a Town legend ๐Ÿ˜ข
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 1, 2016, 7:05am; Reply: 17
Awful news. Get well soon Graham x
Posted by: Getyourfactsright, July 1, 2016, 8:03am; Reply: 18
Often tells me things I probably should have know.

Eats drinks and sleeps Town!!!!

Keep the faith and get well Grahame.

Best from the Club and John F
Posted by: Garth, July 1, 2016, 8:12am; Reply: 19
Awful news, great lad get well soon
Posted by: Meza, July 1, 2016, 8:14am; Reply: 20
Get well Graham.  I don't know him personally but I've seen him many a time around BP during my years.  Why is it all the good people get these diseases and not the bin ladens of this world.

Any wish u all the best Graham ๐Ÿ‘
Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2016, 8:29am; Reply: 21
Graham is a Town legend and has been a fixture all the years I have been going to BP. Get well soon.
Posted by: bluebottle, July 1, 2016, 8:34am; Reply: 22
Sad news, hope all goes well Graham. Get yourself back to BP as soon as you can.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, July 1, 2016, 8:36am; Reply: 23
Been exchanging 'UTM" shouts with Graham  for prob 45yrs . Hopeing for a good result on this one .

UTM
Posted by: barralad, July 1, 2016, 8:41am; Reply: 24
Come on Graham. You can beat this.

Get Well Soon..

UTM
Posted by: tintowner, July 1, 2016, 8:47am; Reply: 25
Positive thinking Graham.........Up The Mariners.
Posted by: codcheeky, July 1, 2016, 9:01am; Reply: 26
Very sad news have we ever had a more loyal and steadfast fan? hoping all the best in your treatment .
Posted by: supertown, July 1, 2016, 9:20am; Reply: 27
Like everyone else , wish you all the best . He is certainly towns no1 fan and has been for years
Posted by: scoregasm, July 1, 2016, 9:35am; Reply: 28
Get well soon Graham. I have known the guy since he was a young teenager running up and down Sidney park and talking to the players in the ritz cafe. In those days he would  ask anyone who he saw grimsby gona win today?????
Posted by: Bigdog, July 1, 2016, 9:40am; Reply: 29
Quoted from scoregasm
Get well soon Graham. I have known the guy since he was a young teenager running up and down Sidney park and talking to the players in the ritz cafe. In those days he would  ask anyone who he saw grimsby gona win today?????

Yeah. And on the odd occasion I would say the oppo are gonna win and he'd wait with a sly grin for me to change my mind until I'd say Town were gonna win.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 1, 2016, 9:57am; Reply: 30
Maybe a Pontoon chant on the first day of the season,

"One Graham Holness, there's only one Graham Holness"

He'd love that I'm sure.
Posted by: Mariner1980, July 1, 2016, 10:02am; Reply: 31
Wow sad news, been talking to Graham on and off for over 20 years.
Get well soon chap.
Posted by: newfootballer, July 1, 2016, 10:23am; Reply: 32
Come on Graham you can do it,its just another big match you have to deal with.

Some wonderful memories regarding Graham who I must say is always at the games on Blundel Park.
Graham for instance when I was a player with Laurie Mac he always turned up at Blundel Park especially when we had a practice match on Blundel Park.
He use to stand behind the pontoon end goal and roar like out when a goal was scored, especially if it was Matt Tees he thought he was the bee"s knees.

One of his most treasured moments at Blundel Park was when Laurie Mac who had got fed up with our strikers missing chances that he stopped the game brought Graham on the pitch through the ball up in the air told Graham to head the ball in the net, whispering to Harry Wainman to let it go in the net which he did and we all clapped him of the pitch.

Laurie Macc"s words were " now thats what I call a good goal" and thats what you must do to win a game pointing at Stuart Brace and Matt Tees.

Will never forget that indeed a true genuine Grimsby Town supporter always at the games when he can make it and I sincerly hope that he gets better very quickly.
Dave Boylen
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 1, 2016, 10:40am; Reply: 33
Quoted from newfootballer
Come on Graham you can do it,its just another big match you have to deal with.

Some wonderful memories regarding Graham who I must say is always at the games on Blundel Park.
Graham for instance when I was a player with Laurie Mac he always turned up at Blundel Park especially when we had a practice match on Blundel Park.
He use to stand behind the pontoon end goal and roar like out when a goal was scored, especially if it was Matt Tees he thought he was the bee"s knees.

One of his most treasured moments at Blundel Park was when Laurie Mac who had got fed up with our strikers missing chances that he stopped the game brought Graham on the pitch through the ball up in the air told Graham to head the ball in the net, whispering to Harry Wainman to let it go in the net which he did and we all clapped him of the pitch.

Laurie Macc"s words were " now thats what I call a good goal" and thats what you must do to win a game pointing at Stuart Brace and Matt Tees.

Will never forget that indeed a true genuine Grimsby Town supporter always at the games when he can make it and I sincerly hope that he gets better very quickly.
Dave Boylen

What a great story Dave, I bet Graham loved scoring that goal.
Posted by: mariner83, July 1, 2016, 10:41am; Reply: 34
Sad news. Hope you make a quick and full recovery Graham.

Town through and through.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 1, 2016, 10:53am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Tinymariner

What a great story Dave, I bet Graham loved scoring that goal.

Graham must have been about 7 or 8 at this time???

I remember him running around the Pontoon around 1974ish, I always thought the was older than me because he was a big strong lad at that time but he is what? 53/54 now?
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 1, 2016, 11:35am; Reply: 36
I have known Graham since he was a young lad when we lived in Lovett St,

He is definitely Town's N0. 1  fan,

Always had a chat with him whenever I saw him at a game ,

Get well soon big man you can do it,

Love to Graham and his family.xx
Posted by: Mendonca1995, July 1, 2016, 12:11pm; Reply: 37
Get well soon graham top town fan UTM
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 1, 2016, 12:34pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Cloudy

Graham must have been about 7 or 8 at this time???

I remember him running around the Pontoon around 1974ish, I always thought the was older than me because he was a big strong lad at that time but he is what? 53/54 now?

I think he must be nearer 60 now. I remember Graham used to come to the Sussex Rec Sixes every year and the little kids would tease him into trying to kick a ball in the net between the games. He would be around late teens in the late 70s. He was very overweight in those days too.
Posted by: barralad, July 1, 2016, 2:08pm; Reply: 39

I think he must be nearer 60 now. I remember Graham used to come to the Sussex Rec Sixes every year and the little kids would tease him into trying to kick a ball in the net between the games. He would be around late teens in the late 70s. He was very overweight in those days too.

He's early 50s. The travel club bought him a shirt with Graham 50 on it a couple or so years ago for his 50th birthday.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 1, 2016, 2:54pm; Reply: 40
I know Graham and chat to him on his way to the local newsagents in the mornings, nobody I know is more passionate about Town than Graham - speedy recovery to Graham. X
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 1, 2016, 2:59pm; Reply: 41
I have numerous memories of Graham over the years. The first time I came across him was in the late 70s when we used to wait in the Main stand outside the tunnel for players autographs when they went out to warm up. Batchy used to wind him up something chronic.

At Braintree a couple of season's ago there was no programmes in the away end so Graham took it upon himself to try and sell the one Dave Moore had given him for free a few minutes earlier, class act!  

Get well soon fella, loads of people are right behind you!!!  
Posted by: fleabag1970, July 1, 2016, 4:11pm; Reply: 42
This is the type of post that makes you proud to be a Town fan !! GWS Graham  and UTM !!!
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 1, 2016, 5:57pm; Reply: 43
Love the Big Fella, always have, he's got black and white blood running through his veins. A true gent.

Don't know because I'm so far away now but I assume he still has a great relationship with the club? That being the case, why not see about the club making him Man of the Match, even before a ball has been kicked before the game against Morecambe? Give him the top rated level of hospitality for the day and make him feel like a prince.

Les's posting re the chant etc, combined with something like this would, I know, absolutely make his day. He deserves nothing less.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), July 1, 2016, 8:57pm; Reply: 44
One of our own, wish him all the very best.
Posted by: Grim74, July 1, 2016, 9:11pm; Reply: 45
Wish him a speedy recovery get well soon Graham towns no.1 fan
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, July 1, 2016, 9:33pm; Reply: 46
Get well soon Graham, he is Towns no1 fan
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, July 2, 2016, 11:48am; Reply: 47
Graham

God Bless you pal, you are a Town legend.  I have grown up seeing you at all the Town away games all over the country, always Town 100% through and through. You are  quite simply a Town legend.

UTM
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, July 2, 2016, 3:58pm; Reply: 48
I echo the previous messages. Get well soon  Graham.

I have known Graham since I was a kid growing up in Barcroft Street in the early/mid 70's. He hasnt changed at all. Whenever i see him now he looks just like he did 40 years ago. A Gentle man his life evolves around GTFC. I can think of no bigger fan tbh.

Sad news to hear about his illness. As someone who was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year i know being positive can be a big help in beating this. All the best fella and hope to see you back at BP in the very near future.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 2, 2016, 4:13pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

I have known Graham since I was a kid growing up in Barcroft Street in the early/mid 70's. He hasnt changed at all. Whenever i see him now he looks just like he did 40 years ago. A Gentle man his life evolves around GTFC. I can think of no bigger fan tbh.

Sad news to hear about his illness. As someone who was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year i know being positive can be a big help in beating this. All the best fella and hope to see you back at BP in the very near future.

Best of luck to you too BM..hope all works out well for you.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 2, 2016, 6:04pm; Reply: 50
Surely the most famous Town fan ever. I doubt there is anyone who follows Town who isn't aware of him. Hoping he stays strong and sees off this horrible disease.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 2, 2016, 10:00pm; Reply: 51
The guy's a GTFC super star, we all hope you get through this.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 2, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 52
Wish him well along with everybody else. Would be great to see the club doing something to recognise a fantastic fan and repay some of the support he's given over the decades. Maybe the Trust could give somebody a little nudge?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2016, 10:11pm; Reply: 53

Always a pleasure when Graham asks your opinion of the game at the bus stop after the match.........legend.
Posted by: Zmariner, July 3, 2016, 12:24am; Reply: 54
Absolute star, get well soon absolutely loved at Blundell Park
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 3, 2016, 12:35pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

Sorry to hear you were ill, have you got the all clear now?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 3, 2016, 1:27pm; Reply: 56
Having been diagnosed (and survived) with a brain tumour a few years ago I know how much the love and support of family and friends can make such a big difference. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have got through my ordeal without their love and support and I'm sure it will be the same for Graham too with everyone rooting for him. xx
Posted by: Garth, July 3, 2016, 4:19pm; Reply: 57
I had cancer treatment 3 years ago still here, the diagnosis and treatment has improved over the years, its marvellous what can be achieved, Hope Graham has a full recovery and gets to see some jf not all the games this season
Posted by: ponnyfan, July 3, 2016, 4:34pm; Reply: 58
Don't post very often on here anymore but for Graham I will make an exception. Smashing bloke, cut him and he would bleed black and white. Well you're"Gonna Win" through this Graham. Speedy recovery ๐Ÿ˜‰ PF
Posted by: chaos33, July 3, 2016, 7:57pm; Reply: 59
Mr Grimsby Town. Bless you Graham.
Posted by: TAGG, July 4, 2016, 12:44pm; Reply: 60
John Burton Who Has Known Graham Years Got Together with the vice-chairman of the cartergate club they have decided to put on a fundraiser night on friday the 5th august to raise funds so Grahams needs while receiving his treatment can be met which I'm  sure you will all agree is a fantastic thing for them to do, as soon as i have more details i will post them,Graham will be half way through his treatment at that stage but before his operation we hope we can get him there for atleast a couple of hours,he will have a big day the next day watching his team play there first game back in the football league UTM
#teamgraham

Quoted From Graham's brother George
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 5, 2016, 2:06pm; Reply: 61
Brilliant gesture to give graham a squad number for the season.

Get well soon
Posted by: Golden fox, July 5, 2016, 2:14pm; Reply: 62
Lovely lad Graham , remember in the late 90's when I was a kid always talking to him near the dugouts as he was chasing Dave Smith around to sign his team sheet . Wonder if the club can get a signed get well card to him or something along those lines ? Get well soon Graham . Fox
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 5, 2016, 2:16pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Golden fox
Lovely lad Graham , remember in the late 90's when I was a kid always talking to him near the dugouts as he was chasing Dave Smith around to sign his team sheet . Wonder if the club can get a signed get well card to him or something along those lines ? Get well soon Graham . Fox

I'm sure that would be possible, it might even have already been done.

When I was in Hull Royal Infirmary I got a signed get well card from the manager and a  Town shirt signed by the then current squad, which took pride of place on the wall in my cubicle. Only problem was most of the nurses thought I was a Newcastle fan.  ;)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 5, 2016, 2:23pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'm sure that would be possible, it might even have already been done.

When I was in Hull Royal Infirmary I got a signed get well card from the manager and a  Town shirt signed by the then current squad, which took pride of place on the wall in my cubicle. Only problem was most of the nurses thought I was a Newcastle fan.  ;)

That was a fantastic gesture by the club Les. I bet that cheered you up no end mate.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 5, 2016, 3:50pm; Reply: 65
Towns latest signing is a cracker now to conquer the enemy you can do this Mr Graham.  Top.top gesture from everybody involved.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208579706583032&set=gm.636915646467389&type=3&theater
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 5, 2016, 3:51pm; Reply: 66

Well done to all involved -           http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/get-well-soon-graham-3169397.aspx?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 5, 2016, 3:56pm; Reply: 67
[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13603244_10208579706583032_3435098392612753114_o.jpg[/img]
Posted by: topuphere666, July 5, 2016, 4:05pm; Reply: 68
Get well soon graham! Great to see Curtis Woodhouse offering to give his play off final shirt in for a donation
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 5, 2016, 4:08pm; Reply: 69
Lovely stuff. Good on the club for doing this.
Posted by: gobby, July 5, 2016, 4:57pm; Reply: 70
Get well soon young man. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Golden fox, July 5, 2016, 6:21pm; Reply: 71
Brilliant . Absolutely brilliant , the club gets some stick at times but what they've done for Graham should and I think will put a smile on everyone's face . Well done . Fox
Posted by: psgmariner, July 5, 2016, 6:40pm; Reply: 72
Fully agree Fox. Great work by the club.

All the best to the main man as well. I won't pretend to know him but must have seen him 100s of times over the years at town games.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, July 5, 2016, 7:35pm; Reply: 73
For as long as I've been going to Blundell Park, Graham has been there. He's like part of the furniture. Speedy recovery Town's number one fan.
Posted by: HotToddy, July 5, 2016, 11:04pm; Reply: 74
Great work by Town today, getting Graham to the training ground. [img]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/cms_images/match/boycey244-3169433.jpg[/img]
Posted by: oldun, July 7, 2016, 8:37am; Reply: 75
His big smile was memorable as he led the teams out last night.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, July 7, 2016, 11:04am; Reply: 76
Quoted from Marinerz93

Sorry to hear you were ill, have you got the all clear now?

Cheers fella.
I was lucky that the cancer was caught early and was operable. I have had it removed along with most of my oesophagus. Hopefully that is it and I am recovering from my op i had at the end of March.

Hopefully Graham's prognosis will be good. Support from friends and family is huge and it is clear to see on here how many friends Graham has wishing him well.

It was great to see him lead out the teams last night.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 7, 2016, 12:27pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from oldun
His big smile was memorable as he led the teams out last night.

Fantastic! There is a picture of Graham leading the team out in today's telegraph.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 7, 2016, 6:07pm; Reply: 78
Great photo great club great graham... And one last thing,intercourse cancer just intercourse right off
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 4:33am