Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 26, 2016, 1:10pm
Hello chaps, I know we're away and looking upwards now, but I was wondering as Grimsby Town fans, if there are any teams people fancy or feel deserve promotion from the national league next year?

I think i might keep an eye on Wrexham.....

Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, June 26, 2016, 1:13pm; Reply: 1
Tranmere champions
Wrexham play offs
Posted by: wigworld, June 26, 2016, 1:16pm; Reply: 2
Wrexham were touted for promotion every year we were down there but always fell short, even in their better years.

I can't see it myself. Tranmere and Village Green would be my predictions.
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 26, 2016, 1:23pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from wigworld
Wrexham were touted for promotion every year we were down there but always fell short, even in their better years.

I can't see it myself. Tranmere and Village Green would be my predictions.

Yes true, but this year Wrexham have recruited the wonderfully named Nortei Nortey. He's ex Chelsea you know! ;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 26, 2016, 1:30pm; Reply: 4
VGR will go up and I reckon Lincoln in the play offs.

I hope Wrexham and Macclesfield go up as they are proper football clubs who aren't Lincoln and Tranmere.
Posted by: Bigdog, June 26, 2016, 1:34pm; Reply: 5
Got a feeling Torquay might surprise a few next season. Probably won't win it but may make the play offs..
Posted by: Garth, June 26, 2016, 1:45pm; Reply: 6
Think Lincoln will have more than a decent shout for the playoffs this year mainly because their manager is smarter than the average bear and won`t tolerate slackers
Posted by: Abdul19, June 26, 2016, 2:44pm; Reply: 7
Now FGR have got a decent manager to spend their massive budget I'll go for them. I don't really care though.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 26, 2016, 2:46pm; Reply: 8
What's National League?  ;D
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 26, 2016, 2:55pm; Reply: 9
Eastleigh and Wrexham in the play-offs for me.
Posted by: Cloudy, June 26, 2016, 3:30pm; Reply: 10
Wrexham have lost most of the players they tried to keep and are having to totally rebuild.

I just don't see Gary Mills as a very good man manager, vastly over rated IMO.

I too think Torquay will do ok, plus Barrow, Eastleigh ( is Arnold going there?) FGR & Tranmere ( although I don't rate Brabin who will be sacked if they don't start well)

Braintree to struggle along with Nth Ferriby
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 26, 2016, 4:02pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Cloudy
Wrexham have lost most of the players they tried to keep and are having to totally rebuild.

I just don't see Gary Mills as a very good man manager, vastly over rated IMO.

I too think Torquay will do ok, plus Barrow, Eastleigh ( is Arnold going there?) FGR & Tranmere ( although I don't rate Brabin who will be sacked if they don't start well)

Braintree to struggle along with Nth Ferriby

Arnold to Eatleigh???

Posted by: lukeo, June 26, 2016, 4:14pm; Reply: 12
no soft spots but think fgr will walk the league. hope I'm wrong... if town stay in league 2 I'd like Lincoln to go up and scunny to be relegated
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 26, 2016, 4:25pm; Reply: 13
Soft spot: Wrexham. For their fans. Sort of a Welsh Grimsby.

Like a lot of people, I reckon Lincoln will do better this season and won't be disappointed to see them go up via the play offs.

Obviously FGR should do well, but I hope not.
Eastleigh - hmmmm, they're an enigma. Have spent a lot but not done well enough. Don't feel as negative about them as FGR, but I'm not sure why. Maybe there's less arrogance about them.
Tranmere - it's either do it this season or be prepared for a long stay down.
Dover? Seem to be leaking their better players. Depends on how well they recruit.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 26, 2016, 4:26pm; Reply: 14
Not really bothered but prefer Lincoln to stay down
Posted by: jock dock tower, June 26, 2016, 6:24pm; Reply: 15
Think a Wrexham / Tranmere double at the bookies might be attractive.
Posted by: Mariners_15, June 26, 2016, 6:36pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jock dock tower
Think a Wrexham / Tranmere double at the bookies might be attractive.

On what basis? Wrexham let near enough their full squad leave at the end of the season and offered deals to about 6 or 7 and from what i've seen about 3 took that option so a complete rebuild there. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs there but they weren't a million miles away last year and don't think they looked a bad team so don't know the reason for the complete rebuild? Finances maybe?

Yes Cheltenham showed it can be done but to be fair Gary Johnson is a very good manager, too good for that level I'd suggest. How many other times have you seen clubs with total rebuilds go and win the league? Not many.
Posted by: Barrattstander, June 26, 2016, 6:43pm; Reply: 17
I've a soft spot for York City, as I've lived there for the last 36 years, however they are currently in such disarray that they could really struggle next year, which is a pity as it is always a great awayday.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 26, 2016, 6:48pm; Reply: 18
Am I missing something here?

Wrexham have lost the majority if not all of their good players...
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 26, 2016, 7:06pm; Reply: 19
I think most would like Lincoln to join us in the league,

We will miss a derby games next season unless you include Donny,

It was always interesting when the 3 Lincolnshire teams were in the same division.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 26, 2016, 7:12pm; Reply: 20
They won't promote them 2 leagues though Pete, so I doubt they'll be playing us next season whatever.  ;)
Posted by: Archer, June 26, 2016, 7:52pm; Reply: 21
I Think Lincoln will be in there for a few more seasons to come.

Tranmere and FGR for me.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 26, 2016, 8:50pm; Reply: 22
Liked Eastleigh away last season
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 26, 2016, 8:58pm; Reply: 23
Based upon meetings with them in the last couple of years would like to see Eastliegh do well next season, good club, good fans and if they can sign a footballing striker they may do well.

Watch out for the Daggers next season if John Still is still in charge they will make an impact as he knows what it takes to get out of that league.
Posted by: chaos33, June 26, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 24
(yahoo)(yahoo)(yawn)(lol)(lol) You know what....? I don't know, and I don't care! (thanks)(thanks)(thumbup2)(boat) :P
Posted by: northbankmariner, June 26, 2016, 9:22pm; Reply: 25
Good shout from HertsGTFC regarding john still and dagenham, really rate him as a manager and motivator, interesting to see who they can attract to sign.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 26, 2016, 9:23pm; Reply: 26
Minstermen and The Daggers ?
Posted by: UTMariners, June 26, 2016, 9:32pm; Reply: 27
I'd like to see Wrexham as they finished second on a significant number of points a few years back and in any other league would have been guaranteed promotion. I'd also like Torquay, Aldershot or Lincoln back up but unfortunately think VGR are nailed on for the title and some new money like Eastleigh will probably do it in play offs. Do not want Tranmere - havent forgiven them for their reaction at our relegation there in 2004.
Posted by: Meza, June 26, 2016, 10:15pm; Reply: 28
My top 6

Tranmere
FGR
Wrexham
Dagenham
York
Eastleigh

Lincoln 9th (they've kept virtually the same squad with 3 new signings and i think they'll be dog poo!!) Lol
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 10:58pm