Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: cjbill, June 15, 2016, 11:22am
Signs on a 2 year deal from Boston United

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/zak-is-the-first-new-signing-3143006.aspx
Posted by: mariner91, June 15, 2016, 11:23am; Reply: 1
I'm sure Danny Andrew will be delighted at being forgotten by the OS already  ;D. Welcome Zak, hope you can make the step up.
Posted by: Golden fox, June 15, 2016, 11:27am; Reply: 2
Maybe a direct replacement for Danny East I wonder ? Probably lower wages and potentially less injurys . Good to see 2 year deals been given out to . Fox
Posted by: BeijingMariner, June 15, 2016, 11:28am; Reply: 3
feels like we are under way now. Maybe a glut of signings this week? Would be nice. Judging by Paul's track record of 'unknowns' I feel relaxed and confident about this one, especially seeing as he will know him from the centre of excellence at Boston and he does know his defenders, more often than not. Clearly to boy can hit the ball too.
Posted by: LH, June 15, 2016, 11:28am; Reply: 4
No, me neither. Any of our resident Boston watchers got anything to say about him? A quick profile search on Boston's OS shows he played 30 odd games and got 8 MOTMs last season.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 15, 2016, 11:32am; Reply: 5
well no one saw that coming, never heard of the lad but good luck UTM!
Posted by: Golden fox, June 15, 2016, 11:33am; Reply: 6
Reading the Boston forum they rate him + say they will miss his 'monster' long throw . Fox
Posted by: pizzzza, June 15, 2016, 11:34am; Reply: 7
Pretty sure he was at Histon before Boston IIRC.

Welcome Zak.
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 11:36am; Reply: 8
Watched him 3 times last season, best player on the park by miles, really pleased he's signed for us.When I heard he had refused a new contract with Boston I thought he would be a great addition to our squad, He will be fine stepping up to league 2. I Iiked East but In my opinion Zak is a better defender and he also likes to get forward and he's got bags of pace. Welcome on board Zak.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 15, 2016, 11:38am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Grimal
Watched him 3 times last season, best player on the park by miles, really pleased he's signed for us.When I heard he had refused a new contract with Boston I thought he would be a great addition to our squad, He will be fine stepping up to league 2. I Iiked East but In my opinion Zak is a better defender and he also likes to get forward. Welcome on board Zak.

what are his main attributes mate?
Posted by: Davec, June 15, 2016, 11:46am; Reply: 10
I told people not to panic ;)

Welcome Zak, seems a good young hungry player
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 15, 2016, 11:46am; Reply: 11
Hungry players and not journeymen. I like it
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 11:48am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Hagrid

what are his main attributes mate?

A hard player that doesn't back out of a tackle,plenty of pace and not the tallest of players but climbs well for headers, I really rate him,couldn't understand why he was playing at that level. I also rate Boston's Carl Piergianni but he isn't renewing his contract and taking a year out to tour Australia,he would have filled in a space if Toto decides not to sign.

Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 11:51am; Reply: 13

Zak Mills
Defender
W 18 L 14 D 2
Appearances:
Goals scored:
Player of the Match
Also plays for: Archived Player Profiles
Previous clubs: Histon.
Biography: Former Histon full-back Zak Mills, indeed capable of playing anywhere across the backline, joined the Pilgrims in March 2014, having already played for the Pilgrims as a Centre of Excellence youngster. With Histon shedding players amid a cash crisis, Dennis Greene moved quickly to secure the services of a player he had managed at the Glassworld Stadium. He made five appearances for the Pilgrims at the end of the 2013-2014 campaign before signing a new one-year deal with the club. He signed a subsequent new contract ahead of the 2015-2016 campaign.
Posted by: Davec, June 15, 2016, 11:53am; Reply: 14
Grimsby Pete was this the gentleman you saw ?
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 15, 2016, 11:56am; Reply: 15
Another typical Paul Hurst rabbit out the hat signing. Welcome to the club Zak
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 15, 2016, 11:58am; Reply: 16
Nice signing.

A young defender with potential and a two year deal  , i like it .
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 15, 2016, 11:59am; Reply: 17
Looks like a good signing.

Lets hope the Fishy can now revert to football matters and leave the Trust to concentrate on important matters of Football Administration and the EFL debacle.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, June 15, 2016, 12:00pm; Reply: 18
Welcome
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2016, 12:01pm; Reply: 19

Welcome Zak to GTFC, a club on the up.
Posted by: MarinerGaz, June 15, 2016, 12:02pm; Reply: 20
Back line starting to fill out well, looking forward to seeing Zak in black & white! :)
Posted by: Maringer, June 15, 2016, 12:03pm; Reply: 21
Sounds like a potentially good signing and it's good that he sounds like he is pretty quick. You can coach a player to become a better defender, but you can't make him quicker.

We really missed having anyone with a long throw at times last season as well. Very helpful in both attack and when getting the ball clear in defence.

Hopefully, stepping up two divisions will be within his abilities.

Edit: On the downside, possibly an indication that Tait is indeed on his way elsewhere as rumoured?
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 15, 2016, 12:03pm; Reply: 22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haE-GijWvcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoS4ANjj5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOUvWC5DpE

Seems his long throw could be a useful weapon if we get a target man in the box
Posted by: cjbill, June 15, 2016, 12:07pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Maringer
Sounds like a potentially good signing and it's good that he sounds like he is pretty quick. You can coach a player to become a better defender, but you can't make him quicker.

We really missed having anyone with a long throw at times last season as well. Very helpful in both attack and when getting the ball clear in defence.

Hopefully, stepping up two divisions will be within his abilities.

Edit: On the downside, possibly an indication that Tait is indeed on his way elsewhere as rumoured?

Unless this is a replacement for East. It says he can play anywhere along the back 4.

Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2016, 12:21pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Davec
Grimsby Pete was this the gentleman you saw ?

Not sure mate , it might have been,

My eyes are not as good as they use to be.
Posted by: chicaneuk, June 15, 2016, 12:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Stew0_0

A lack of someone who can throw really far is something I feel like we've always been disadvantaged by. He already sounds like a great player but this is another bonus!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 15, 2016, 12:24pm; Reply: 26
Welcome to Town Zak.
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 12:27pm; Reply: 27
https://youtu.be/OmqJYWolB8Y
Zak's  goal against Ferriby in playoff semi 1st Leg.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 15, 2016, 12:30pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Grimal
https://youtu.be/OmqJYWolB8Y
Zak's  goal against Ferriby in playoff semi 1st Leg.

Good strike. One or two like that in front of the Pontoon and the lad will soon be a legend. ;D
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 15, 2016, 12:33pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Maringer
On the downside, possibly an indication that Tait is indeed on his way elsewhere as rumoured?

That's my reading of it. Sounds like Tait has plenty of tempting options.
Posted by: biggles9999, June 15, 2016, 12:36pm; Reply: 30
From a North Ferriby Player:

'Technically probably the best player in our league, The volley he scored against us would have been up there in the goal of the season... although he can be very very laid back. Got a huge throw too, capable of reaching the back post

Ive seen him play centre back, right back and even centre mid, but hes probably best as a right back'
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 12:45pm; Reply: 31

Edit: On the downside, possibly an indication that Tait is indeed on his way elsewhere as rumoured?[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the way I see it, Zak's a right footed player and when I've seen him he played in the right back position. If Tait leaves I personally feel confident he can fill that position.Also his long throw is another plus in his game.

Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2016, 12:53pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Grimal

A hard player that doesn't back out of a tackle,plenty of pace and not the tallest of players but climbs well for headers, I really rate him,couldn't understand why he was playing at that level. I also rate Boston's Carl Piergianni but he isn't renewing his contract and taking a year out to tour Australia,he would have filled in a space if Toto decides not to sign.

I read when  Boston signed him was  6ft 1in,

Has he lost height Grimal ?   :)
Posted by: Paris Mariner, June 15, 2016, 12:54pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Grimal

I'm not sure Pidge has the pace or touch to make it at League 2 level.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 15, 2016, 12:56pm; Reply: 34
I've lost count, how many players do we have now?

I keeper, 4 defenders, 3 mid (including two youths), 1 up front - have i missed anyone?
Posted by: oldun, June 15, 2016, 1:03pm; Reply: 35
4 defenders. Mills, Andrew, Gowling, Pearson. Thought you initially said 3, sorry
Posted by: forza ivano, June 15, 2016, 1:05pm; Reply: 36
Seems to be almost universally well regarded. see matt dannatt's twitter for further comments. however apparently he suffered from a mysterious long term achilles injury. i presume that's been sorted now; can any bostonians help on that?
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2016, 1:06pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I keeper, 4 defenders, 3 mid (including two youths), 1 up front - have i missed anyone?

Don't worry we will have a full team very soon. 8)
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2016, 1:09pm; Reply: 38
We currently have 10 players. There are 3 youths signed. Clifton, Venney and Wright, though they are not youth players anymore.
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 15, 2016, 1:11pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Forgot about max wright, youth winger.
10 signed altogether but 3 being youth players
Posted by: Tommy, June 15, 2016, 1:11pm; Reply: 40
Sounds a good signing.

He played for Histon against us when we beat them 6-1.
Posted by: the driver, June 15, 2016, 1:29pm; Reply: 41
Have I logged on to the wrong forum come on lads and lasses some negative posts please I need a laugh by the way I think a good signing
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 15, 2016, 1:50pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from oldun
4 defenders. Mills, Andrew, Gowling, Pearson. Thought you initially said 3, sorry

I did and then slipped in an edit :-)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 15, 2016, 1:52pm; Reply: 43
Looks a promising signing to me; young up and coming player.

Tait signs back up, along with Mills and Andrew, the female supporters will be throwing their knickers onto the pitch in sheer delight with them bombing down the flanks; Tom Jones styley.

Hope we sign some ugly players soon.
Posted by: Davec, June 15, 2016, 2:00pm; Reply: 44
Well so far I'm absolutely delighted with the 2 signings so far, both can play in more than one position so there's options there, both are described are being technically very good so that means they would be comfortable with the ball when under pressure, Both are described as being good defensively so we can rely on them when defending, both are attack minded so that means they will offer something going forward, both are good at long range shooting, so there's an option there, especially if a corner gets cleared then one of them can be following up and hopefully put one in the net from distance, also Mills has a good long throw so that means a throw in can be almost like a corner, also allows us to put more men in the box.

On paper I am very happy with the 2 new signings so far
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 15, 2016, 2:05pm; Reply: 45
Just checked 'Mariners Player' interview, a couple of other clubs were chasing his signature, but Grimsby Town came in for him only at the weekend and he wanted to sign straight away.

Says not spoken to Paul Hurst yet, all went through his agent.  His prefered position is right back and along with playing the back four, he has also played as a right winger.
Posted by: jaygy, June 15, 2016, 2:57pm; Reply: 46
It must have been fate, his partners surname is Blundell 😀
Posted by: acko338, June 15, 2016, 3:01pm; Reply: 47
Young, fit and fast, and not scared to shoot - is this the new style of player for the new season ?? - good start thus far !

Welcome Zak !
Posted by: acko338, June 15, 2016, 3:13pm; Reply: 48
Just watched the interview - sounds a good ambitious player,  but I also see that we have again re-signed the twit who wants to make background noise on player interviews.

Is McMenemy's shut during the day, or even one of the boxes for use?? -  just to give people interviewing a fair chance !!
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, June 15, 2016, 3:35pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Just checked 'Mariners Player' interview, a couple of other clubs were chasing his signature, but Grimsby Town came in for him only at the weekend and he wanted to sign straight away.

Says not spoken to Paul Hurst yet, all went through his agent.  His prefered position is right back and along with playing the back four, he has also played as a right winger.

If we only went in for him at the weekend then I think surely we can put two and two together with Tait? Must be going.
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 3:58pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from grimsby pete

I read when  Boston signed him was  6ft 1in,

Has he lost height Grimal ?   :)

Didn't think he was that tall Pete,could be wrong though but when you see him up against that Ferriby giraffe Denton anyone would look only 5ft tall. ;)

Posted by: Golden fox, June 15, 2016, 4:03pm; Reply: 51
How many players do we need ? If we go on the assumption that the lads offered contracts don't re sign I think maybe we are looking at 12-15 new faces maybe . Fox
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 15, 2016, 4:08pm; Reply: 52
Tait might not necessarily be gone, he could have maybe only become available at the weekend or another target could have gone elsewhere.
Posted by: devs, June 15, 2016, 4:25pm; Reply: 53
Mate of mine is sports editor at Boston Standard and follows BUFC all over country

His view:

"He's the one from the last two years who looked the best fit for the FL.

Natural footballer, superbly skillful on the ball, attack minded, can score and has the longest throw you'll ever see.

Lovely bloke too."

Sounds useful... and a nice lad
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 15, 2016, 4:27pm; Reply: 54
We have offered Tait a contract, signed Mills and released East.

Why are people assuming Tait is going. The club needs 2 right backs and Mills can cover right across the back four.

Like the sound of this signing. Good age, quick, ambitious and likes getting forward like Andrews on the opposite side. If we get similar minded wingers then we could be a force this term.

Keep 'em coming Hursty
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 4:48pm; Reply: 55
By all accounts Barrow were interested in Mills.

Taken from yesterdays Lincolnshire Echo.--
Southwell, the Pilgrims' top scorer for the last two seasons, is poised to move into the full-time game, and he could be followed by Mills, who is also attracting attention, with National League Barrow believed to be interested.

Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2016, 5:07pm; Reply: 56
Looks like a promising signing. That's two good ones so far. Bodes well.
Posted by: H19P1, June 15, 2016, 5:59pm; Reply: 57
Welcome to the GTFC family Zak. Play like a machine each week and the fans will love you.

Good luck Zako
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 15, 2016, 6:06pm; Reply: 58
Well am rather excited about this signing, hopefully more to come onwards and upwards, Welcome to the pride of Lincolnshire Zak Mills
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, June 15, 2016, 6:19pm; Reply: 59
Dayle obviously put a good word in as well about us fans and the gaffer!
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2016, 6:33pm; Reply: 60
We are building from the back,

We have a keeper and a back four,

Midfielders and strikers now please Paul.  :)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 15, 2016, 6:44pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Grimal
By all accounts Barrow were interested in Mills.

Taken from yesterdays Lincolnshire Echo.--
Southwell, the Pilgrims' top scorer for the last two seasons, is poised to move into the full-time game, and he could be followed by Mills, who is also attracting attention, with National League Barrow believed to be interested.
On Radio Humberside, Zak said he was already poised to sign this week for a National League side, he wouldn't say who it was though.  Then his agent contacted him about Grimsby wanting him.

Guess it was money bags Barrow then. :)
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
Dayle obviously put a good word in as well about us fans and the gaffer!
Yeah he said on Radio Humberside that Southwell and Scott Garner said the fans are great and it's a great club to be part of.
If we only went in for him at the weekend then I think surely we can put two and two together with Tait? Must be going.
Like someone else mentioned with East going anyway, Zak Mills was probally on the initial target list.  You would of thought if he was part of the list of targets Hurst wanted, Town would of moved a lot quicker to sign him?

I guess we will find out by Friday if Tait etc will be signing, that's their deadline day.
Posted by: sydney, June 15, 2016, 7:44pm; Reply: 62
One of Bostons best players and a useful addition
Boston fans disappointed to see him go
Can I ask if anyone has update on Podge please
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 15, 2016, 8:08pm; Reply: 63
Nice to see a signing from our area should settle in quickly.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 15, 2016, 8:12pm; Reply: 64
At least with that enormous throw in it will make up for our rubbish corners.
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 65
Nice words from a Pilgrim supporter, I wonder if PH has this holding midfield position in mind for him.

Shrimperpilgrim

View Profile
Re: Zak Mills
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:23:28 PM »
Great move for Zak he totally deserves it the most consistant and complete player we had over the last 2 seasons.
Big loss for us as we lose much more than a long throw he is totally composed on the ball great passer never panics and can also play.
I always felt he could be a playmaker in a holding midfield role due to his good vision.
My favourite player wish him well sure he will go on to make a career in the full time game.
Posted by: Grimal, June 15, 2016, 8:29pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Nice to see a signing from our area should settle in quickly.

That's both new signings quite local.

Posted by: moosey_club, June 15, 2016, 8:45pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from devs
Mate of mine is sports editor at Boston Standard and follows BUFC all over country

His view:

"He's the one from the last two years who looked the best fit for the FL.

Natural footballer, superbly skillful on the ball, attack minded, can score and has the longest throw you'll ever see.

Lovely bloke too."

Sounds useful... and a nice lad

Glad he's a nice lad,vital to our team spirit....elsewhere.. apparently Hurst had sent a contingent of board members to Portugal over the weekend to enter talks with Ronaldo's agents amongst other things....all was in place to seal a one year deal but following Ron's post Iceland game behaviour we sensibly withdrew the offer.
GTFC - Prima donna free zone.

Posted by: Mariner_09, June 15, 2016, 8:45pm; Reply: 68
Sounds like he's a different kind of full back. Hooray 6 players!
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 16, 2016, 7:27am; Reply: 69
Quoted from moosey_club

Glad he's a nice lad,vital to our team spirit....elsewhere.. apparently Hurst had sent a contingent of board members to Portugal over the weekend to enter talks with Ronaldo's agents amongst other things....all was in place to seal a one year deal but following Ron's post Iceland game behaviour we sensibly withdrew the offer.
GTFC - Prima donna free zone.

We couldn't have had Ronaldo last year as he doesn't know how to break down teams that park the bus in Braintree and Dover style.

Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 17, 2016, 6:20am; Reply: 70
That's the thing I like with Paul Hurst, with him being a fullback himself in the professional game he has a real good knack of spotting a top fullback. Magnay, Robertson, Townsend and Tait just to name a few. I think it's a position that's become more demanding in the modern game and when going forward it can act like you've got two wingers. I'm pleased to hear that we've signed a good ball-player who sounds solid and defensively astute. The Rory Delap-esqe throw might chip in with say a few assists this season which is more than helpful. I'm delighted about the way we've started in the window.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 27, 2016, 8:04pm; Reply: 71
Liking the idea of Grimsby Town having a long throw specialist.  #Iceland GOAL! (ohmy)
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 5:19am