Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 10, 2016, 7:58pm

Anyone watching the opening game, Romania should have scored.
Posted by: chaos33, June 10, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 1
They should. So should France.
Posted by: H19P1, June 10, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 2
Not a bad game so far
Posted by: jaygy, June 10, 2016, 8:38pm; Reply: 3
I didn't know Hoban was Romanian?! 😂
Posted by: chaos33, June 10, 2016, 8:49pm; Reply: 4
Did Bilic just say 'F*ck me' live on ITV?!? :D
Posted by: MarinerGaz, June 10, 2016, 8:50pm; Reply: 5
Think he did, was just going to ask the same question 😆
Posted by: ginnywings, June 10, 2016, 8:55pm; Reply: 6
I thought he did too.
Posted by: chaos33, June 10, 2016, 8:57pm; Reply: 7
Class!
Posted by: chaos33, June 10, 2016, 9:11pm; Reply: 8
Not sure Giroud knew too much about that header! Deserved goal though.
Posted by: northbankmariner, June 10, 2016, 9:16pm; Reply: 9
Penalty to Romania
Posted by: northbankmariner, June 10, 2016, 9:17pm; Reply: 10
Cool penalty 1-1 game on !
Posted by: jaygy, June 10, 2016, 9:18pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from chaos33
Not sure Giroud knew too much about that header! Deserved goal though.

I think giroud defies football logic. He looks the most lonely, least confident, wasteful striker ever but then pops up with a goal when it's needed. He will never have many fans because of the way he plays but will guarantee a good goal return if given the game time
Posted by: LH, June 10, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 12
What a goal that was.
Posted by: MarinerGaz, June 10, 2016, 9:46pm; Reply: 13
Payet has been watching Diz and Nath with those tears, wonder what Bilic's reaction to the goal was?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 10, 2016, 10:02pm; Reply: 14
France are all about their midfield and with players like Payet and Pogba, with Matuidi and Kante doing the donkey work they could go all the way. You don't have to be brilliant as a team if you have brilliant individuals.
Posted by: Davec, June 11, 2016, 6:53am; Reply: 15
Think it would be a great idea to confine all Euro 2016 in this dedicated thread, it's better than having several random threads popping up all over the place
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 11, 2016, 6:56am; Reply: 16

Shaun Pearson's Euro predictions -

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/euro-2016-the-sp-from-sp-3140807.aspx?
Posted by: Rick12, June 11, 2016, 7:36am; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
France are all about their midfield and with players like Payet and Pogba, with Matuidi and Kante doing the donkey work they could go all the way. You don't have to be brilliant as a team if you have brilliant individuals.
Think Payet is pure class.That would have been my vote for PFA player of the year as opposed to Mahrez.I know what he done with Leicester was remarkable but in terms of pure footballing ability and style I prefer Payet
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, June 11, 2016, 8:35am; Reply: 18
Quoted from chaos33
Did Bilic just say 'F*ck me' live on ITV?!? :D

He certainly did! 😆  

https://youtu.be/DSJjaXgzxcE
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 11, 2016, 2:05pm; Reply: 19
Albania  0 - 1  Switzerland                 After only 5 minutes, poor goalkeeping.

Probably good for us if Wales draw with Slovakia at 5 o'clock.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2016, 8:02pm; Reply: 20

Come on Ukraine get a win against Germany.......... 8)

( Ukraine, my team in The Fishy Euro Sweepstake )
Posted by: Neilo83, June 14, 2016, 9:01am; Reply: 21
Quoted from promotion plaice

Come on Ukraine get a win against Germany.......... 8)

( Ukraine, my team in The Fishy Euro Sweepstake )

Good luck with that one..
Posted by: Rick12, June 15, 2016, 10:24am; Reply: 22
Huge credit to Iceland yesterday
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2016, 10:30am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rick12
Huge credit to Iceland yesterday

No credit to Ronaldo though. Refused to shake hands with their players and his comments since are pathetic. Hope Portugal go out early.
Posted by: Rick12, June 15, 2016, 10:37am; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

No credit to Ronaldo though. Refused to shake hands with their players and his comments since are pathetic. Hope Portugal go out early.
Thats what I thought last night as well.Has upset Real Madrid fans with his attitude as well claiming if more were up to the likes of Bale and Benzemas level they would be topping the league.Having said that still admire him as a player as he is  class
Posted by: RoboCod, June 15, 2016, 10:38am; Reply: 25
Recorded time in yesterdays game from k.o before Ronaldo was on his ar$e, pleading for a free kick....less than 30 seconds.
It's beyond worrying that no one in the team or on the bench can stop him grabbing the ball every time they get a free kick just for him to smack the thing into the wall every time.
Posted by: mariner91, June 15, 2016, 10:56am; Reply: 26
Ronaldo is the most overrated free kick taker of all time. For every goal he scores there are countless other ones that hit the wall, fly over the bar or just go harmlessly to the keeper. He might have been the first to try the knuckleball technique but he's far from the best at it.

Just found this: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/15/the-stats-that-suggest-cristiano-ronaldo-really-should-have-kept-his-mouth-shut-5945226/

34 attempts at goal from free kicks in international tournaments and not a single goal. That is shocking. Any other player would have been taken off them at least 14 shots ago.
Posted by: I Hate Chris Hollins, June 15, 2016, 11:03am; Reply: 27
Quoted from mariner91
Ronaldo is the most overrated free kick taker of all time. For every goal he scores there are countless other ones that hit the wall, fly over the bar or just go harmlessly to the keeper. He might have been the first to try the knuckleball technique but he's far from the best at it.

Just found this: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/15/the-stats-that-suggest-cristiano-ronaldo-really-should-have-kept-his-mouth-shut-5945226/

34 attempts at goal from free kicks in international tournaments and not a single goal. That is shocking. Any other player would have been taken off them at least 14 shots ago.

When it comes to free kicks, Ronaldo is no Pjanic! Or Payet! Or Dier!! Or even Kingsley Black!!!

Roberto Carlos was another one who kept taking free kicks despite having a poor record. Although in his defence he did score the greatest free kick of all time!
Posted by: Davec, June 15, 2016, 11:09am; Reply: 28
In fairness to Ronaldo he does do quite alot for charity and for disadvantaged young fans
Posted by: I Hate Chris Hollins, June 15, 2016, 11:18am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Davec
In fairness to Ronaldo he does do quite alot for charity and for disadvantaged young fans

So did Jimmy Sa-vile!
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2016, 2:24pm; Reply: 30

Slovakia take the lead against Russia...............Get in.

Knock em out of the competition if they don't get chucked out.
Posted by: Rick12, June 15, 2016, 2:28pm; Reply: 31

When it comes to free kicks, Ronaldo is no Pjanic! Or Payet! Or Dier!! Or even Kingsley Black!!!

Roberto Carlos was another one who kept taking free kicks despite having a poor record. Although in his defence he did score the greatest free kick of all time!
Remember that in the tournoi .Great goal.I  was lucky enough to him see play for Real Madrid at the Bernabeu and he was quality.Quick and strong were his main assets that stood out for me.

Posted by: RoboCod, June 15, 2016, 2:41pm; Reply: 32
Russian manager looked wide-eye and terrified from the kickoff. Wonder it the Russia Mafia have some money on them winning the thing? ??)
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2016, 2:48pm; Reply: 33
Slovakia showing just how average Russia are. Just hope failing to beat them doesn't end up costing us.
Posted by: supertown, June 15, 2016, 2:55pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from RoboCod
Russian manager looked wide-eye and terrified from the kickoff. Wonder it the Russia Mafia have some money on them winning the thing? ??)

He seemed a bit odd, he was all a jiffle
Posted by: supertown, June 15, 2016, 2:57pm; Reply: 35
They will be out after this game so the hooligans will turn out for the Wales game, nothing to lose
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2016, 6:01pm; Reply: 36

Latest     Ukraine  0 - 1  Northern Ireland...............WOW
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 16, 2016, 6:11pm; Reply: 37
Northern Ireland fans singing in the rain,

Ref took players off because of large hailstones,

Back on now  still 1-0  to N.I.

They feel at home in the rain. :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 16, 2016, 6:45pm; Reply: 38
2-0 win for N.I. well done lads it was a good game.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, June 17, 2016, 6:43am; Reply: 39
Hi does Anyone want a ticket for the SLOVAKIA game i have one for sale as I can't make the game due to work it's a genuine England supporters club ticket and all I want is what I paid for the ticket from me mate in Stoke, I'm selling it for £150 if anyone's genuinally interested pls pm or reply to the post and I will send you my contact number thanks guys UTM
Posted by: Archer, June 17, 2016, 8:35pm; Reply: 40
Bye Turkey. 😊
Posted by: ginnywings, June 17, 2016, 8:54pm; Reply: 41
Hope so. Really don't like the Turks.
Posted by: chaos33, June 17, 2016, 8:59pm; Reply: 42
How was that third goal not offside by the way?

Posted by: ginnywings, June 17, 2016, 9:02pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from chaos33
How was that third goal not offside by the way?

Definitely offside, possibly twice. Could cost them if it comes down to GD.
Posted by: chaos33, June 17, 2016, 9:03pm; Reply: 44
Yeah, twice!
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 18, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 45

Come on Austria, get a draw and lets see Ronaldo sulking.
Posted by: Rhys_Mariners, June 18, 2016, 9:46pm; Reply: 46
Ronaldo misses a penalty
Posted by: Rick12, June 18, 2016, 9:59pm; Reply: 47
Have to agree with Shearer at the end of the Austria v Portugal game eg which players for him have lighted up the tournament so far =Payet.Have to agree as well quality .Only suprise is by the age of 29 he hasnt won more caps and really only came in the limelight for me this last season with West Ham
Posted by: ginnywings, June 18, 2016, 10:00pm; Reply: 48
One of those nights for Ronny. Fantastic player but very petulant and i'm glad given his shenanigans after the last game.

This is for you Cristiano  ;)
Posted by: Rick12, June 18, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings
One of those nights for Ronny. Fantastic player but very petulant and i'm glad given his shenanigans after the last game.

This is for you Cristiano  ;)
  :) Felt a bit sorry for Ronaldo to be honest tonight.Missed some chances especially the penalty.Guess he is human after all but still admire him tremendously as a player .Other thing is his attitude to the game deserves a lot of credit as well.Always aiming to improve. Eg no wonder he is world class eg ability and mental strength =winner      
Posted by: LH, June 18, 2016, 10:25pm; Reply: 50
He has no interest in being a team player for Portugal and that will cost them in the tournament. It really couldn't happen to a more deserving petulant twit as him.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 18, 2016, 10:31pm; Reply: 51
Him missing that penalty was probably the highlight of the tournament so far.
Posted by: mariner91, June 19, 2016, 12:26am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Rick12
  :) Felt a bit sorry for Ronaldo to be honest tonight.Missed some chances especially the penalty.Guess he is human after all but still admire him tremendously as a player .Other thing is his attitude to the game deserves a lot of credit as well.Always aiming to improve. Eg no wonder he is world class eg ability and mental strength =winner      

His attitude to the game stinks. It's a team game and as much as he's a fabulously talented individual who works so hard to make himself better than any other player physically, probably the fittest player of all time, he will never be better than Messi because he plays for himself, not the team.
Posted by: Rick12, June 19, 2016, 7:05am; Reply: 53
Quoted from mariner91

His attitude to the game stinks. It's a team game and as much as he's a fabulously talented individual who works so hard to make himself better than any other player physically, probably the fittest player of all time, he will never be better for Messi because he plays for himself, not the team.
Your right which is a shame.However as a manager who wouldent him in their team .Alex Ferguson cited him Scholes, Cantona and Giggs as the only true word class players he had managed Of the field seems like a nice enough guy though
Posted by: jaygy, June 19, 2016, 7:48am; Reply: 54
Ronaldo can bog off! I called the first 2 games correct on my accumulator yesterday and only needed a Portugal win to win the 10/1 bet. 24 attempts and a missed penalty, I couldn't bare to cash out as Portugal were all over them and there have been so many late goals already in this tournament  :-/

Have to admit this has been an amazing tournament so far and UEFA allowing extra, possibly lesser quality, teams into it has improved the competition IMO even though I was unsure of the idea at first
Posted by: Rick12, June 19, 2016, 7:51am; Reply: 55
Quoted from jaygy
Ronaldo can bog off! I called the first 2 games correct on my accumulator yesterday and only needed a Portugal win to win the 10/1 bet. 24 attempts and a missed penalty, I couldn't bare to cash out as Portugal were all over them and there have been so many late goals already in this tournament  :-/

Have to admit this has been an amazing tournament so far and UEFA allowing extra, possibly lesser quality, teams into it has improved the competition IMO even though I was unsure of the idea at first
Some of the lesser teams have surprised me notably Iceland and Northern Ireland

Posted by: Archer, June 19, 2016, 12:10pm; Reply: 56
Yep, Iceland have surprised me. They look like a solid outfit and i hope they make round of 16.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 19, 2016, 9:28pm; Reply: 57

France v Switzerland, bit of a dead rubber and you can tell.

Most boring game of the tournament so far for me.
Posted by: nightrider, June 19, 2016, 9:56pm; Reply: 58
Albania played well and have some good players playing for excrement clubs. We should sign 7
Posted by: ginnywings, June 19, 2016, 9:58pm; Reply: 59

France v Switzerland, bit of a dead rubber and you can tell.

Most boring game of the tournament so far for me.

Should have watched Albania, much more riding on it. Albania, first tournament, first goal and first win to put out Rumania. Albanian fans were great to watch.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 19, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 60
Well UEFA have obviously decided that France will make the final stages. Not seen such bias for years. And those muppets on BBC1, all they could do was laugh about Pogba jumping on that bloke's back, with no mention of him getting away with it, then trying to hold the Swiss bloke back and kick him. 4 shirts ripped (at least 1 by that héro de nos jours, Pogba, and 1 in the box) and two different players' shirts pulled preventing them from heading the cross in the last minute.
Posted by: nightrider, June 19, 2016, 10:10pm; Reply: 61
As soon as Danny Murphy started speaking just before kickoff, I knew it was time to switch over
Posted by: cjbill, June 21, 2016, 6:07pm; Reply: 62
Watching the Northern Ireland - Germany game and really enjoying the N. Ireland fans. I think they have been the best fans in the tournament. I am waiting for the inevitable versions of Will Grigg's on fire for different teams throughout the coming season too
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2016, 6:18pm; Reply: 63
Germany showing their ruthless streak. Full strength side and battering N.Ireland into submission. Really can't believe it's still only 1-0.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2016, 6:20pm; Reply: 64
Josh Magennis comes on at the Euros against Germany. Just shows what progress a player can make after being totally derided by fans. He was woeful when on loan here.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 65
What a pleasure to watch two great sides having a go in Spain and Croatia. Could have gone either way but Croatia showing Spain can be beaten.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 21, 2016, 9:45pm; Reply: 66
Spain deserved to lose for wearing those shirts
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 21, 2016, 9:46pm; Reply: 67
The worst team in the competition prize has been won on The Euro 2016 Sweepstake.

The only team to lose all 3 group games were Ukraine, as all teams in the unfinished groups all have at least 1 point, so the £30 prize goes to Promotion Plaice.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Les Brechin
The worst team in the competition prize has been won on The Euro 2016 Sweepstake.

The only team to lose all 3 group games were Ukraine, as all teams in the unfinished groups all have at least 1 point, so the £30 prize goes to Promotion Plaice.

Loser!  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2016, 9:57pm; Reply: 69
Spain also in England's half of the draw now. Why do we always make things hard for ourselves? Poor from the England set up.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 21, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just got in the house, was over the moon when I got Ukraine........ 8).........get in........thanks Les.

Posted by: Les Brechin, June 21, 2016, 10:08pm; Reply: 71

Just got in the house, was over the moon when I got Ukraine........ 8).........get in........thanks Les.

Let me know how you want me to send you the money, either via Paypal or Bank Transfer as I can't remember which way you paid me.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 22, 2016, 5:48pm; Reply: 72
As it stands ( HT Group F ) England will play Iceland on monday.

HT   Hungary  1 - 1  Portugal.

HT    Iceland  1  -  0  Austria.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, June 22, 2016, 6:31pm; Reply: 73
England v Portugal as it stands....
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 22, 2016, 6:45pm; Reply: 74

Iceland score in the fourth minute of injury time to set up England v Iceland monday
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 22, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 75

Latest......Italy  0 - 1  Ireland         Ireland on the verge of qualification
Posted by: buckstown, June 22, 2016, 9:39pm; Reply: 76
Surely this clown can't be the second best keeper in Italy. Talk about flapping!
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 22, 2016, 9:40pm; Reply: 77
All 4 home nations qualifying what an achievement... If only Scot...
Posted by: GrimRob, June 22, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from GtfcGarner
All 4 home nations qualifying what an achievement... If only Scot...

Wales v Northern Ireland - guaranteed to be a UK team in the QF
Posted by: GrimRob, June 22, 2016, 10:13pm; Reply: 79
Unfortunately, we have ended up in the same half of the draw as France, Germany, Italy and Spain. Wales and N Ireland are in the much easier looking half. Failure to win two group games we should have done may have cost us dear.
Posted by: chaos33, June 22, 2016, 10:17pm; Reply: 80
Nah. Anyone is beatable in this tournament. It's wide open.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 22, 2016, 10:55pm; Reply: 81
That pass by Hoolihan to set up Brady was perfect. Assist of the tournament so far?
Posted by: Tommy, June 22, 2016, 11:32pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from GrimRob
Unfortunately, we have ended up in the same half of the draw as France, Germany, Italy and Spain. Wales and N Ireland are in the much easier looking half. Failure to win two group games we should have done may have cost us dear.

Doesn't bother me.

Besides, it's not like we need to beat France, Germany, Spain AND Italy. France and then one of the other 3. So we can list all these teams on our side of the draw but we don't need to beat them all.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 22, 2016, 11:53pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Tommy

Doesn't bother me.

Besides, it's not like we need to beat France, Germany, Spain AND Italy. France and then one of the other 3. So we can list all these teams on our side of the draw but we don't need to beat them all.

True but we'd have had a far easier route to the final in the other half of the draw. Whatever way you look at it, England fooked up again.
Posted by: LH, June 23, 2016, 5:49am; Reply: 84
I remember reading pessimism like this on this forum about two or three months ago. Get your money on England to win it!
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, June 23, 2016, 7:47am; Reply: 85
Getintheremyson to score the winner in a 1-0 Iceland smash and grab? They'll park the bus, it's whether England have enough about them to break it down. High tempo from the kickoff required.
Posted by: DocTower, June 23, 2016, 7:57am; Reply: 86
Hope Wales don't get much further well never hear the end of it .
Posted by: Meza, June 23, 2016, 8:36am; Reply: 87
I would much rather face these teams than potential banana skin sides.  They will atrack us leaving space behind.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 23, 2016, 3:57pm; Reply: 88
Dear Scotland,

Please would you mind watering the plants and putting the bins out.
We've decided to stay another week,

Yours,

England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland.

PS. Wish you were here (lff3)(lff3)(lff3)
Posted by: mariner91, June 23, 2016, 4:20pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Civvy at last
Dear Scotland,

Yours,

The plants won't need watering!
Posted by: ginnywings, June 23, 2016, 4:28pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Civvy at last
Dear Scotland,

Yours,

That made i larf.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 25, 2016, 5:01pm; Reply: 91

Wales v Northern Ireland              BBC 1 Live now

Would love to see the Irish send cocky Bale home packing.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 25, 2016, 6:40pm; Reply: 92
Like watching a League 1 game.

Cracking cross by Bale for the goal though.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 25, 2016, 6:53pm; Reply: 93
I will miss the Irish fans, they have been brilliant.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, June 25, 2016, 7:02pm; Reply: 94
Get in there Wales! Quarter Finals! Bring it.
Posted by: jock dock tower, June 25, 2016, 7:20pm; Reply: 95
Cymru am Byth!

Well done Wales, you've made an old man very happy indeed.

It's results that matter now, not necessarily the means by getting there. Would be over the moon with a similar performance next Friday, and who's to say they can't do it?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2016, 9:31pm; Reply: 96
An England-Wales final isn't out of the question.

Would be a remarkable repeat of Denmark in 92 if we won it. Both after anti-EU referendums (referenda?).
Posted by: ginnywings, June 25, 2016, 10:43pm; Reply: 97
Clatty Portuguese twits.
Posted by: mariner91, June 25, 2016, 11:23pm; Reply: 98
Jesus, that's three and a half hours of my life I won't get back. Both the Wales Ireland game and Croatia Portugal were dire. Wales side of the draw looking easier by the day. Is it cocky to say that had we come top we should have been reaching the final given the teams we'd face?
Posted by: Biccys, June 26, 2016, 2:22am; Reply: 99
Quoted from mariner91
Jesus, that's three and a half hours of my life I won't get back. Both the Wales Ireland game and Croatia Portugal were dire. Wales side of the draw looking easier by the day. Is it cocky to say that had we come top we should have been reaching the final given the teams we'd face?

Errrr, yes... The fact that those teams were above us in the group stages, despite our best efforts, means that we may well struggle more against the teams that were beaten by the teams we aren't as good as............Probably.

Although that also might mean the Brexit vote means we have now developed a "Them vs Us" attitude, ya know, like Dunkirk an excrement, that we will now conquer Europe first and then...... THE WORLD.

Do I sound a bit dictatorial?
Posted by: jaygy, June 26, 2016, 8:14am; Reply: 100
Was I the only one hoping the Irish would send Will Grigg on even just for 5 minutes? Irish fans have been singing his name for weeks and not seen him play a minute
Posted by: mariner91, June 26, 2016, 9:27am; Reply: 101
Quoted from Biccys

Errrr, yes... The fact that those teams were above us in the group stages, despite our best efforts, means that we may well struggle more against the teams that were beaten by the teams we aren't as good as............Probably.

Although that also might mean the Brexit vote means we have now developed a "Them vs Us" attitude, ya know, like Dunkirk an excrement, that we will now conquer Europe first and then...... THE WORLD.

Do I sound a bit dictatorial?

I think that's a far too simplistic way of looking at it. Wales may have finished above England but they're certainly not as good, look at the match between the two sides where Wales mustered two(?) shots. England struggled in the group because they're not good at breaking down sides that sit deep. Even then if we'd put more of our numerous chances away we should have come away with 9 points. In the knock out stages against better teams, we'd be unlikely to see them just sit back and wait for penalties and there'd be some space for the likes of Vardy to use. We beat a near enough full strength Germany side two months ago and Portugal even more recently yet you're saying we wouldn't do well against the likes of Switzerland, Poland and Hungary?!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 26, 2016, 9:31am; Reply: 102
Quoted from Abdul19
Like watching a League 1 game.

Cracking cross by Bale for the goal though.

As good as that? I thought the standard was abysmal and the same with the Portugal/Croatia game. In fact the lowering of the standards by bringing more teams in is the most noticeable feature.

It's not hard for a coach to get 12 or so reasonable lads super fit and drilled to park a bus. Obvious tactic and the only way you are going to get anywhere. When you have half the sides in a tournament doing an international Braintree it just makes it a joke.

The Welsh & Irish fans have been great though.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 26, 2016, 1:23pm; Reply: 103

As good as that? I thought the standard was abysmal and the same with the Portugal/Croatia game. In fact the lowering of the standards by bringing more teams in is the most noticeable feature.

It's not hard for a coach to get 12 or so reasonable lads super fit and drilled to park a bus. Obvious tactic and the only way you are going to get anywhere. When you have half the sides in a tournament doing an international Braintree it just makes it a joke.

The Welsh & Irish fans have been great though.

Yeah I'd agree with that. It's all very nice and all that, but teams reaching the knockouts with 3 points out of 9 is a bit much (Portugal have reached the last 8 without winning a game in 90 minutes)
Posted by: topuphere666, June 26, 2016, 3:07pm; Reply: 104
Good game so far between ROI and France. Couple of bookings which rule players out of the 1/4's which will help us should we get there!

Really hope Ireland can hold on!
Posted by: topuphere666, June 26, 2016, 3:08pm; Reply: 105
Oops!!
Posted by: gytone, June 26, 2016, 3:37pm; Reply: 106
Ref has spoilt the game, he's done his best to even it up after giving the Irish a nailed on pen. As for Townsend commentary what an utter tosser he is.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 26, 2016, 3:48pm; Reply: 107
UEFA obviously had words with the ref at half time about France not being able to lose, Both goals came as a result of reffing errors. How else does what appears to be a good ref suddenly become so biased :-/
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 26, 2016, 5:01pm; Reply: 108

Latest           Germany  1 - 0  Slovakia         after only 7 mins            :-/
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, June 26, 2016, 5:07pm; Reply: 109
Nearly 2-0
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 26, 2016, 5:20pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Madeleymariner
UEFA obviously had words with the ref at half time about France not being able to lose, Both goals came as a result of reffing errors. How else does what appears to be a good ref suddenly become so biased :-/

The failure of the referee to give a corner, when Ward had his shot deflected by a huge / massive margin has to be more than questioned - particularly as France had just scored their equaliser and were on the front foot - the referee enabled France to counter attack from what should have been an Ireland corner and score their second goal. This circumstance encouraged France and Ireland lost a man - the balance of the game had totally changed - well done ref. - NOT.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 26, 2016, 7:02pm; Reply: 111
The early goal works wonders against these defensive teams. Germany got one, England didn't. That's what England must aim to do against Iceland. Doesn't matter how they score but kill the game early.
Posted by: Rick12, June 26, 2016, 7:07pm; Reply: 112
Pleased Portugal won yesterday. Have some cracking players in that team from Nani to Ronaldo to Quaresma

Spain v Italy tomorrow should be a bit tasty
Posted by: Rick12, June 26, 2016, 7:08pm; Reply: 113
The early goal works wonders against these defensive teams. Germany got one, England didn't. That's what England must aim to do against Iceland. Doesn't matter how they score but kill the game early.
England 1-0 for me tomoz.With the likes of Sturridge in the  squad they should beat them within 90 minutes
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 26, 2016, 8:32pm; Reply: 114
Quite enjoyed these Euros overall.

Shocking standard of tattoos on display though
Posted by: northbankmariner, June 26, 2016, 8:44pm; Reply: 115
At last Belgium playing something like to their potential tonight v Hungary. Only one goal first half but very entertaining to watch, hazard De Bruyne and lukaku all looking up for it. Can this team go all the way? Think they have a good chance on that side of the draw.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 27, 2016, 3:25pm; Reply: 116
I expect  to see front and back page headlines about Stirling and Sterling tomorrow
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 27, 2016, 3:51pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from GrimRob
I expect  to see front and back page headlines about Stirling and Sterling tomorrow

Let's hope they are not both at an all time low !!
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 27, 2016, 4:33pm; Reply: 118
Italy v Spain  I fancy this one to go to pens,

Anybody agree ?
Posted by: KK_DOG, June 27, 2016, 4:52pm; Reply: 119
The way those Italians sang the National Anthem they look well up for it. However I cant see Spain losing this one.
Posted by: gaz57, June 27, 2016, 5:00pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from KK_DOG
The way those Italians sang the National Anthem they look well up for it. However I cant see Spain losing this one.

You could be right but I fancy the Italians for this one.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 27, 2016, 5:29pm; Reply: 121

Italy go 1 - 0 up against Spain and thoroughly deserve to be ahead.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 27, 2016, 5:35pm; Reply: 122
Make Spain defend and they look lost.
Posted by: KK_DOG, June 27, 2016, 5:39pm; Reply: 123
The Italians are looking good.
Posted by: lukeo, June 27, 2016, 5:58pm; Reply: 124
england 1-3 iceland..  sigurdson
700/1
Posted by: KK_DOG, June 27, 2016, 7:56pm; Reply: 125
Grimsby flag just to the right of the Icelandic goal
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 27, 2016, 7:56pm; Reply: 126

Penalty England great start
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 27, 2016, 7:58pm; Reply: 127
Well that lasted a long time!
Posted by: LH, June 27, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 128
Can England be more England this tournament?
Posted by: LH, June 27, 2016, 8:11pm; Reply: 129
..turns out they can.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 27, 2016, 8:14pm; Reply: 130

Hart must be one of our worst goalkeepers of all time.
Posted by: gtfc55, June 27, 2016, 8:14pm; Reply: 131
Just as well we scored early to make Iceland come out of defensive mode
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 27, 2016, 8:17pm; Reply: 132
Put sterling in goal and hart upfront to freshen it up.
Posted by: Davec, June 27, 2016, 8:21pm; Reply: 133
Might aswell put Andy Warrington in goal
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 8:33pm; Reply: 134
Half an hour and we are back to the all too familiar pattern -  far too slow in build up and now struggling to break down 11 behind the ball because our movement is gash. Hart definitely at fault for the goal (again) and Wayne Rooney keeps reminding us that he just isn't world class.
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 8:42pm; Reply: 135
Its simple take dier off as its no point in having him in there
  Take sturridge off for Lallana and dier off for Barkley.  We need runners from midfield to make things happen.  Its pedestrian.  Kane looks well unfit as does sturridge.  
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 8:44pm; Reply: 136
great adverts too...Hart in a head and shoulders advert denying paper stories he is under pressure... hahaha
Posted by: topuphere666, June 27, 2016, 8:46pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from chaos33
Half an hour and we are back to the all too familiar pattern -  far too slow in build up and now struggling to break down 11 behind the ball because our movement is gash. Hart definitely at fault for the goal (again) and Wayne Rooney keeps reminding us that he just isn't world class.

What's Rooney done wrong tonight?

Sturridge/walker and Hart guilty of being urine poor!
Posted by: ginnywings, June 27, 2016, 8:48pm; Reply: 138
The damning thing is that it's no surprise.
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 27, 2016, 8:51pm; Reply: 139
Don't understand Woy - Tottenham look tired / lacking in enthusiasm. How many subs are allowed?  Wales re-visited - hopefully - what happened to Rashford?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 8:53pm; Reply: 140
Had a kip, missed the kick-off and woke up after 30 odd minutes of the game. WTF!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 8:53pm; Reply: 141
Impressed by that viking "hooh!" though.
Posted by: northbankmariner, June 27, 2016, 8:54pm; Reply: 142
Wow just thinking how many people are changing their in play bets watching England right now. If I had money on Iceland I wouldn't exactly be reaching for the cash out button just yet, we are lacking a spark for sure, the front 3 not doing enough, Kane is having a poor tournament, sterling no end product and Sturbridge looking a bit disinterested to me, fingers crossed for vardy coming on at some part and maybe Ross Barkley?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 27, 2016, 8:56pm; Reply: 143
FFS and Hurst thought he had it bad if we lose to iceland Woy won't find a hidding place big enough lol
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 8:58pm; Reply: 144
Using the same players give Barkley a go ffs
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 9:01pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from topuphere666

What's Rooney done wrong tonight?

Sturridge/walker and Hart guilty of being urine poor!

Are you watching closely? There are plenty of examples of his general sh1tness.
Posted by: topuphere666, June 27, 2016, 9:06pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from chaos33

Are you watching closely? There are plenty of examples of his general sh1tness.

He's certainly not the worst player out there tonight!!
Posted by: LH, June 27, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 147
Two of the dodgiest keepers in the tournament and it's only ours that has been properly tested so far.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 27, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 148
As Sterling is in to add some width I haven't seen him put one cross in our try to get to the bye line, 49 million, what a waste.
Posted by: buckstown, June 27, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 149
Three times Sturridge has been free down the right with a great chance to whip a first time ball in. Then he stops and cuts back because he can't use his right foot.
Am I missing something?
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 9:11pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from topuphere666

no but he is clearly trying to be if the last ten minutes is anything to go by....woeful on the ball.
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from topuphere666

In the last ten minutes he's just made at least 4 mistakes - giving the ball away, misplacing passes, over hitting the ball, showing poor technique. He is utterly overrated and no inspiration whatsoever.

Mind you, he is not on his own. Plenty of players having stinkers and making themselves look like massively overpaid chumps. Step forward Harry Kane.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 9:16pm; Reply: 152
Did i dream Vardy came on ?
Posted by: TAGG, June 27, 2016, 9:17pm; Reply: 153
Is Woy Hodgson the Jeremy Corbyn of the footballing world?????
Posted by: topuphere666, June 27, 2016, 9:17pm; Reply: 154
Why haven't you mentioned Kane? Or Walker? They've been a lot worse tonight. Not saying Rooney is world class but he's an easy target when things don't go right.
To be honest this whole performance is gash! Finishes like this Roy has to be sacked by tomorrow 5pm
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 9:20pm; Reply: 155
Jesus wept Rooney is Turd!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 9:20pm; Reply: 156
Rooney is the target because he's supposed to be the captain and have the experience. He's been crap. Hope it's his last tournament because he hasn't got it any more, whatever 'it' was.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 9:20pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from topuphere666
Why haven't you mentioned Kane? Or Walker? They've been a lot worse tonight. Not saying Rooney is world class but he's an easy target when things don't go right.
To be honest this whole performance is gash! Finishes like this Roy has to be sacked by tomorrow 5pm

They have all been pretty cr@p, wreaks of totally under estimating the opposition IMO.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 9:22pm; Reply: 158
Iceland players look mentally stronger than our boys. And I really do mean boys.
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 159
Hopefully Woy will go and we get a younger manager sick of employing 60 years old still stuck in the stone age.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 9:27pm; Reply: 160
Pathetic by Kane.
Posted by: LH, June 27, 2016, 9:28pm; Reply: 161
There has been absolutely nothing good about this game from an England perspective. So typically tournament England.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 27, 2016, 9:29pm; Reply: 162
The Women's team would have more balls than this lot. Been sh1itting themselves the entire game.
Posted by: buckstown, June 27, 2016, 9:32pm; Reply: 163
If Town played with such a lack of passion and passed so poorly I'd be livid. Watching a bunch of millionaires play so badly beggars belief. Iceland are so deserving of a win
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 9:32pm; Reply: 164
Far East betting scam anyone ????

Struggling to comprehend how bad they are playing otherwise...
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 27, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 165
Out played and out sung by Iceland. Can't get any worse than that !!
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 27, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from moosey_club
Far East betting scam anyone ????

Struggling to comprehend how bad they are playing otherwise...

Nah. Must be Blatters last fiddle
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 9:36pm; Reply: 167
Harry Kane. Absolutely cr@p tonight.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 9:36pm; Reply: 168
The trouble is this lot will come home to multi-million pound salaries.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 27, 2016, 9:37pm; Reply: 169
Does anybody come out of this with any credit at all?
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 9:37pm; Reply: 170
No
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 9:37pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The trouble is this lot will come home to multi-million pound salaries.

Cant begrudge them that, ...they did beat Wales.  :o
Posted by: Davec, June 27, 2016, 9:41pm; Reply: 172
How embarrassing

Hodgson position is untenable
Posted by: topuphere666, June 27, 2016, 9:42pm; Reply: 173
Useless girl privates. Never should represent the country again.

Rashford only one to actually show desire to win.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 27, 2016, 9:42pm; Reply: 174
FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Bigdog, June 27, 2016, 9:42pm; Reply: 175
Feel sorry for Ross Barkley and John Stones.

Lallana, possibly our best player going forward in the tournament, doesn't get a kick tonight.

Bye Woy.

Bye Wayne.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 9:43pm; Reply: 176
Well bye bye Roy.

Bye bye Rooney (hopefully).

The rest well. Sadly that's the best we've got.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 27, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 177
Like I said. They looked scared and played like it.

Glad to see the premier league has delivered on its promise of a better international team.

Bye Roy. Stay in France.
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 178
Utter dogsh1t as usual in tournaments. They are a national embarrassment and the manager should pay the price.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from Davec
How embarrassing

Hodgson position is untenable

Ironic really, he took the most attack laden squad any England manager has ever taken to a tournament and we can hardly hit the target !!

Badly let down by his players tonight, in the previous games we should have won easily......tonight shocking.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 27, 2016, 9:46pm; Reply: 180
1 to 11 should be  embarrassed and some should never wear the england shirt again.

That clown roy hodgson should use the last bit of respect he has for the fans and resign straight after the match.

An absolute disgrace.
Posted by: friskneymariner, June 27, 2016, 9:46pm; Reply: 181
Severe weather warning shower of sh**te heading this way from France.
Posted by: Perkins, June 27, 2016, 9:47pm; Reply: 182
Congrats to Iceland you thoroughly deserved it. Shocking team selection and an even worse display by England. Not even gutted, England expects........... Expects our national team to let us down.
Posted by: scoregasm, June 27, 2016, 9:48pm; Reply: 183
I said before Roy  should of been sacked after the world cup. I got loads of crosses for voicing my opinion . Don't think many would keep him now
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 184
Quoted from Bigdog
Feel sorry for Ross Barkley and John Stones.

Lallana, possibly our best player going forward in the tournament, doesn't get a kick tonight.

Bye Woy.

Bye Wayne.

This ^^^

Am i the only one that can see its not a jamie vardy type game...nothing against him but for me we needed midfielders running deep.  Barkley might had done more yet prefers a player whos been.out all season, along with sturridge who slows the game up....Rooney who has played behind the striker yet when it comes to the tournament plays in midfield....for me Roy got this wrong big time.  We need a younger manager someone with modern day understanding.

Posted by: Maringer, June 27, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 185
Wow. Just wow.

The most inept performance by an England team ever, surely?

A lot of those players should never wear the shirt again, regardless of what they do in the future. They didn't even look as though they were trying in the second half. Lazy, half-arsed, lack of movement. A real embarrassment to the country. What a crappy week.

Hodgson should just retire now, along with Rooney who couldn't pass wind tonight, though all the other players were as bad. Give up, Roy. You've had a good run. You've made some poor selections but it's not your fault that none of the players have any balls.
Posted by: Grim74, June 27, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 186
Rumour doing the rounds Corbyn has offered Roy a place in the shadow cabinet.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2016, 9:52pm; Reply: 187
Quoted from Grim74
Rumour doing the rounds Corbyn has offered Roy a place in the shadow cabinet.

I bet its not defence secretary...
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 27, 2016, 9:53pm; Reply: 188
I'm delighted for iceland. Went to all their group games and couldn't meet better people
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 27, 2016, 9:53pm; Reply: 189
I'm delighted for iceland. Went to all their group games and couldn't meet better people
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 27, 2016, 9:53pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from Teestogreen
Don't understand Woy - Tottenham look tired / lacking in enthusiasm. How many subs are allowed?  Wales re-visited - hopefully - what happened to Rashford?

This lad is class - and the manager gave him only 4 minutes to save the manager's skin - the manager (ex) was an idiot.

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 27, 2016, 9:54pm; Reply: 191
well that was a waste of my time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2016, 9:55pm; Reply: 192
Would never have happened if we'd voted remain. Even football is going down the pan.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 27, 2016, 9:57pm; Reply: 193
That was the poorest show by England by a long chalk,

New manager required with new idea's,

BUT

Having said that the players let him down.
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 9:58pm; Reply: 194
This started with 6 changes lost momentum....no walker trojaning on.
Posted by: Garth, June 27, 2016, 10:00pm; Reply: 195
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt
Like I said. They looked scared and played like it.

Glad to see the premier league has delivered on its promise of a better international team.

Bye Roy. Stay in France.

Tonights result should show everyone that a team full of Englishmen without the foreign players are rubbish.

Without the foreign players and management the Prem league would not be the attraction World wide that it is
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 27, 2016, 10:02pm; Reply: 196
I've watched England for over 40 years and that has to be the greatest low for me........Gutted

Luckily, phew, Town got promoted so in the scheme of  things I'm happy.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 27, 2016, 10:02pm; Reply: 197
Beaten on and off the field that chant similar to our fish chant was epic. beaten by a bunch of fecking cod heads lol
Posted by: Perkins, June 27, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 198
Hodgson resigns
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 27, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 199
Feck me woy as done a Camoron and resigned.

Let's hear it for Dodgy Dave and Woy hip,hip .........................................................................................................
Posted by: chaos33, June 27, 2016, 10:05pm; Reply: 200
Roy resigned
Posted by: Toppy, June 27, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 201
Iceland showed what you can do by playing the same set of players in the same formation ... and playing with passion.

So, how do we start a petition to get the game replayed?
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 10:08pm; Reply: 202
Southgate the obvious one for me most are current managers.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 27, 2016, 10:09pm; Reply: 203
oh well I wont get my money back from sports direct for the shirt I bought,
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 27, 2016, 10:12pm; Reply: 204
Dont worry neville or southgate the favourites.

Fvck my life.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 27, 2016, 10:13pm; Reply: 205
Gareth Southgate one of the favorite for next manger FFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFAAmumo2D8
Posted by: TAGG, June 27, 2016, 10:14pm; Reply: 206
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
oh well I wont get my money back from sports direct for the shirt I bought,

Turned my shirt inside out 20 minutes before the end I was so ashamed to support that excrement.
Posted by: sydney, June 27, 2016, 10:16pm; Reply: 207
We will never have a successful England team whilst everyone chases the premiership money
It's taking our game backwards
The quality of football is going backwards so quickly even a team like Leicester can win supposedly the best league in the world (with all due respect to them)
Those poor England fans who travel everywhere deserve so much better
As embarrassed as I am mad
Posted by: ginnywings, June 27, 2016, 10:17pm; Reply: 208
You could make me or anyone on this site the new manager but nothing would change. We just haven't got the big game mentality.

Anyway, Town are back in the league.
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 10:18pm; Reply: 209
We dont want another grandad manager we need someone younger.  And i just hope we pick players that have deserved to play and not on reputation which is what Roy did with Wiltshire, Sturridge, Henderson.  Barkley gets zeto minutes Lallana easily best player but not picked.  Drop a clanger me thinks.  But the future is bright just need someone to pick people on form.

Oh well.
Posted by: Perkins, June 27, 2016, 10:18pm; Reply: 210
Quoted from Meza
Southgate the obvious one for me most are current managers.

Wasn't he part of the coaching set up for tonight's shower of sh*t ?

Posted by: arryarryarry, June 27, 2016, 10:22pm; Reply: 211
They all must have voted exit.
Posted by: Meza, June 27, 2016, 10:22pm; Reply: 212
Not Southgate....well i dont think so thought its Lewington and Neville. Its Roy that picks the team making stupid changes.  
Posted by: ginnywings, June 27, 2016, 10:28pm; Reply: 213
It was a plot to take our minds off brexit.  ;D
Posted by: Grim74, June 27, 2016, 10:29pm; Reply: 214
Quoted from Garth

Tonights result should show everyone that a team full of Englishmen without the foreign players are rubbish.

Without the foreign players and management the Prem league would not be the attraction World wide that it is

That's why we should limit foreigners in the premiership we will never win anything the way it is.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 27, 2016, 10:32pm; Reply: 215
It would be better if we just withdrew from international football and spent the summer playing the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
Posted by: Perkins, June 27, 2016, 10:39pm; Reply: 216
Could we not bribe a couple of those African dictators to allow us entry to the African Nations Tournament ?
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 27, 2016, 11:05pm; Reply: 217
Quoted from GrimRob
It would be better if we just withdrew from international football and spent the summer playing the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

Isle of man, those fckuers have 3 legs we'll get stuffed and the Channel Islands are to close to Europe, so that's a no from me  ;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 27, 2016, 11:06pm; Reply: 218
Anyone want cheering up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-TgqpobVu0
Posted by: GrimRob, June 27, 2016, 11:12pm; Reply: 219
Quoted from Perkins
Could we not bribe a couple of those African dictators to allow us entry to the African Nations Tournament ?

We could rope it into one of these trade agreements we're going to have to beg for  :)
Posted by: Maringer, June 27, 2016, 11:23pm; Reply: 220
The way the team 'performed' tonight, you could pick any of the world's best managers and we'd still fall apart like a house of cards at the slightest hint of adversity. It's the total lack of fight which is most galling - I know they are all multi-millionaires with no idea what a hard day's work actually is, but you think they would have enough self respect to actually put a bit of effort in.

Worst of all is that I'm completely unsurprised. I doubt many are.

Weak, weak, weak.
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 27, 2016, 11:28pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from Maringer
The way the team 'performed' tonight, you could pick any of the world's best managers and we'd still fall apart like a house of cards at the slightest hint of adversity. It's the total lack of fight which is most galling - I know they are all multi-millionaires with no idea what a hard day's work actually is, but you think they would have enough self respect to actually put a bit of effort in.

Worst of all is that I'm completely unsurprised. I doubt many are.

Weak, weak, weak.

The lack of pace in attacked gave them far too much time to park the bus. The Man U lad should have been on from the start of the 2nd half and I've yet to see what Wiltshire brings.
Posted by: Sigone, June 27, 2016, 11:29pm; Reply: 222
We based our team around a Spurs set up that up until March was sensational, then the huge drop in form..Yes the spurs players should of gone to France but never started.  Alli, Kane & Dier's form dropped off big time..Walker was ok throughout the short tournament.  Sterling has been abysmal since he left Liverpool and shouldnt have gone, where was Drinkwater,Townsend??? Wishere has played 1(ONE) premiership game FFS.
Posted by: Maringer, June 27, 2016, 11:45pm; Reply: 223
From tonight, I'd say only Rashford and probably Vardy came out of the game with any sort of credit. That's said as somebody who doesn't think Vardy is suited to international football as he's just not going to get the space to run into that he needs.

Personally, I wouldn't have Sturridge near my team as he's a one in five games sort of player and I don't think Kane is quick enough in thought or deed either.
Posted by: Meza, June 28, 2016, 12:02am; Reply: 224
I actually thought Roy was going to play the likes of Barkley, Stones but they never really got a look in.  

Tonight they didn't show half as much enthusiasm as the last few games....they weren't even trying despite losing 2-1 at H/T.  That says it all for me, as i said tooany changes.  

Players with credibility

Vardy- atleast he tried but he is the sort of player that is needed when up against it not the other way round as there is no space to run into.

Lallana - thought he did really well full of running and energy atleast he was positive clearly too positive for Woy.

Walker - he was like a trojan bombarding down the wing.  Then got dropped or rested and then didn't look the same.
Posted by: jaygy, June 28, 2016, 6:42am; Reply: 225
F**k England! GTFC bring me all the joy I need.

That Iceland chant though!! Wow!! Up there with clap clap fish
Posted by: DocTower, June 28, 2016, 7:36am; Reply: 226
Quoted from horsforthmariner

I'm not well ,    but this has cheered me up  thanks .
Posted by: GYinScuntland, June 28, 2016, 7:54am; Reply: 227
Quoted from GrimRob

Sark away could be proper tasty.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 28, 2016, 8:32am; Reply: 228
We all know what the players are like. They can only perform if someone else does the hard stuff for them so they look good in the Prem surrounded by better players. They can go out and run and look the business. As soon as they have to do the hard graft and be a team with responsible roles they are lost.

But I am disappointed with the manager. I thought Hodgson was better than that. I thought he would have a top side and a system and stick to it but he made wholesale changes after the Wales game and nobody seemed to know what they were doing. Having said that, I don't think any manager could make an international out of some of those tossers.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 28, 2016, 8:42am; Reply: 229
Still trying to digest that shocking performance and result last night.

What makes it even worse is that towards the end of the game last night Iceland had "A shot from a player who couldn't get in the Cardiff City team in The Championship since January and then the corner that followed was taken by a player who was relegated to League One with Charlton Athletic" and the England team are supposed to be the cream of The Premiership!!  ;D
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 28, 2016, 9:33am; Reply: 230
I think it was the first time I've seen a goalkeeper take a throw-in
Posted by: Maringer, June 28, 2016, 10:07am; Reply: 231
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I think it was the first time I've seen a goalkeeper take a throw-in

Surprised he didn't drop it.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 28, 2016, 10:51am; Reply: 232
Quoted from Les Brechin
Still trying to digest that shocking performance and result last night.

What makes it even worse is that towards the end of the game last night Iceland had "A shot from a player who couldn't get in the Cardiff City team in The Championship since January and then the corner that followed was taken by a player who was relegated to League One with Charlton Athletic" and the England team are supposed to be the cream of The Premiership!!  ;D

The cream of the premiership players are all from country's that arent England.
Posted by: kevikov, June 28, 2016, 11:12am; Reply: 233
It all sounds too familiar, on a bigger scale to Grimsby!
"We should be beating these pub teams" etc
The national side need a manager who is capable of getting the best out of players, like a venables or a Bobby Robson. Someone with management experience also.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 28, 2016, 11:13am; Reply: 234
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

True enough but it's interesting that the cream of the Euros don't play in England. The prem only gets the  lesser "stars" and Sky hypes them up as the best when they are far from it.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 28, 2016, 11:20am; Reply: 235
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

None of them are from Iceland though. Hull City should be able to beat them, never mind England.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 28, 2016, 12:07pm; Reply: 236
Quoted from GrimRob

None of them are from Iceland though. Hull City should be able to beat them, never mind England.

Exactly so Rob.

Even allowing for the manager's mistakes there were enough experienced internationals in the side to sort out the game. You go 1-0 after three minutes and any pro manager or player will tell you the next 5 minutes is vital, the most likely time for an equaliser. So sit tight, get the ball, keep the ball, make the other side do the pushing and use the space. Rooney has 950 caps for goodness sake, surely he is capable of being a captain and settling the side down. The GK and CBs are experienced champions league players, surely they are capable of doing the simple things well.

But they didn't and once Iceland equalised the game was lost because they could sit back and let England drive themselves into a cul-de-sac. They did it very well too.

Posted by: Civvy at last, June 28, 2016, 12:21pm; Reply: 237
No need  to worry folks.  The FA are to launch a full review as to why it went so wrong.  Not sure how much it will cost, but if there's anyone from the FA that reads the fishy....

Send someone round to my house with a case of Carlsberg Export and we can get this sorted in one evening.

Or alternatively you could have a group of FA representatives fly to Spain/Italy/Brazil etc on a fact finding mission over the summer period.

I wont hold my breath !!
Posted by: Abdul19, June 28, 2016, 12:53pm; Reply: 238
Kane's set pieces remind me of Menno Willems.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 29, 2016, 6:34am; Reply: 239
As soon as I saw that Sterling was back in the starting line up with Kane up front and Sturridge out wide, I knew it would be a struggle. Then inexplicably Kane is back on set piece duty. Bringing on Wilshere at half time was showing the white flag. Rashford should have been on because he's too young and green to have had all the excitement knocked out of him yet and would just have played with freedom. I cannot believe how inept the management of the side was. I honestly believe that any football fan couldn't have done a worse job.
Posted by: Meza, June 29, 2016, 6:52am; Reply: 240
I agree ginny.  Even bringing vardy on was a mistake.  There is no room for him to run behind.....holding up the ball or taking people on is not his game.  However he was in the right place at the right time for the wales goal.  Vardy would be best used when we are under the cosh for longer periods.

Wiltshire should never have gone and Noble should have

Sturridge should never have gone and ACarroll should instead

Henderson should never have gone and Drinkwater should have instead

Barkley should have played more

Rashford should have played more

Kane looked knackered or berate of confidence

The list is endless

But i do not blame the players i blame Roy he screwed up and he knows it.  Even in the 2nd half the players came out and look rejected there was no fight no passion until rashford came on i just dont think the players believed in Roy.  Thats the sad bit.
Posted by: Rick12, June 29, 2016, 9:58am; Reply: 241
Quoted from Meza

Kane looked knackered or berate of confidence
I know football is about opinion but Ive never really rated Kane as top draw.Always felt Sturridge and Vardy offered more.Eg Sturridge technically very good and Vardy gives you that hunger and pace.Kane on the other hand whilst being a good all rounder is a steady eddy for me
Posted by: Maringer, June 29, 2016, 10:20am; Reply: 242
I just wonder how much difference having Townsend in the squad might have proved. He finished the season really well for Newcastle, is always willing to take on his man and has a decent shot/cross to boot. Would have been ideal to have him in against pretty much all of the opponents we faced so leaving him out in favour of Milner, Wilshire and Sterling was a terrible choice.

I think Wilshire still has the potential to be a good midfielder, but needs to get fit and stay fit for some time to play some football and get into the swing of things. He was nothing like ready to play this summer.
Posted by: codcheeky, July 1, 2016, 1:01am; Reply: 243
Portugal in the semi's without winning a game within 90 mins in the tournament yet
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 1, 2016, 6:31pm; Reply: 244
After our exit from the Euros by Iceland and the great pleasure it gave the Welsh players,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgByLZZfgQA

I sincerely hope the Welsh get humiliated by the Belgians tonight.

Posted by: Davec, July 1, 2016, 8:22pm; Reply: 245
Just watching Wales

I hope Ben Davies doesn't get injured tonight, we need him for the start of the season ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 1, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 246
FFS they cant can they.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 1, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 247
That Robson-Kanu turn.....

Beautiful.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), July 1, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 248
Wales currently at 2-1?
What's happening? (fool)
Posted by: topuphere666, July 1, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 249
Cracking goal!
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 1, 2016, 9:15pm; Reply: 250
Quoted from 139881
Wales currently at 2-1?
What's happening? (fool)

With the prospect of a semi-final against Portugal it wouldn't be beyond the realms of mentalness that Wales could make the final.
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 1, 2016, 9:20pm; Reply: 251
To be fair to Wales they are currently showing ever characteristic that we ask of our England team. Work so hard you are out on your feet, put your foot in and put your body on the line, chase lost causes, and show a bit of skill and class when needed.

When was the last time we could say that about an England team?
Posted by: LH, July 1, 2016, 9:30pm; Reply: 252
Imagine what it must be like to have a national team to be proud of.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 1, 2016, 9:34pm; Reply: 253
Amazing scenes.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 1, 2016, 9:37pm; Reply: 254
Anyone got stats of the smallest nation ( population ) to reach the semi-final of the Euros,  Wales.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 1, 2016, 9:47pm; Reply: 255
Gotta take my hat off to the Taffs.

Rode their luck a bit with a couple of ref's decisions, but they deserve it. And by God don't we know how  it feels when you go 3-1 up late in the game.  :)

Yakky Da boyos!
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 1, 2016, 9:48pm; Reply: 256
I said before this game that if they could beat belgium, I'd be very confident they could beat portugal. I'm genuinely delighted for them.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, July 1, 2016, 9:52pm; Reply: 257
Wales showed how it should be done...average players, but played as a team, wore their hearts on their sleeves, playing with passion and pride. England players take note.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 1, 2016, 9:57pm; Reply: 258
Maybe that is what England should do pick loads of hungry championship and below players as well as "stars" that play overseas.

If the FA tell the Prem they won't pick any players for England unless the club has 40% English in their Prem squad maybe just maybe the Prem may start to play ball a bit with foreign versus English. Just remember being an International Footballer allows you to negotiate a bigger contracts abroad if required..
Posted by: kevikov, July 1, 2016, 9:58pm; Reply: 259
Fair play to them, looks like they are all playing for each other.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, July 1, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 260
Good luck to Wales, should make the final now, Portugal been poor so far and have yet to win a game in 90 minutes. Bale against Ronaldo should be interesting.
Posted by: Maringer, July 1, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 261
It certainly helped that the Belgian defence was about as good as the English one. Couple of cracking goals from the Welsh, though, and Belgium's wasn't half bad either.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 1, 2016, 10:05pm; Reply: 262
Wales are Everything that England aren't. And bale , his performance, his attitude , his awareness , his passion, his athleticism shows up Rooney for what he is. A player way off what it is to be world class
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 263

Been looking forward to Germany v Italy, the eventual winners probably from this game tonight.

Scweinstiger on early for the injured Khadera, interesting if it goes to extra time.
Posted by: I Hate Chris Hollins, July 2, 2016, 8:32pm; Reply: 264
Love both countries. Love both teams. Great food, great wine, great drivers.
Posted by: I Hate Chris Hollins, July 2, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 265
Oooo....red cross. Either someone doesn't like Sagrantino di Montefalco Arnaldo Caprai or the Farage fan club are on the board tonight.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 2, 2016, 10:54pm; Reply: 266
Quoted from Grimbiggs
Good luck to Wales, should make the final now, Portugal been poor so far and have yet to win a game in 90 minutes. Bale against Ronaldo should be interesting.

Hope so
Posted by: ginnywings, July 2, 2016, 10:54pm; Reply: 267
Fecking Germans!
Posted by: LH, July 2, 2016, 10:56pm; Reply: 268
Germany deserved to win because of Zaza and Pelle's antics. They don't intercourse around them Germans.
Posted by: mariner91, July 3, 2016, 12:34am; Reply: 269
There's a lesson for any kids watching tonight. If you're going to act like a grade A helmet make sure you smash your penalty home.
Posted by: golfer, July 3, 2016, 7:39am; Reply: 270
Have just checked  " Ancestors through the ages " and have come up with some interesting facts.In the year 978 Ethelred the Unready came to the throne of England. His wife Bridgit was sexually disoriented so he had to go elsewhere for his pleasures. It was well known that at that time there had been an outbreak of swine fever , this had meant a weakness and unreliability in pig skin for various uses. As a result a baby boy was born to a wench from Aberystwyth who was a " Coal miners daughter "  It has been a long process but with Town having a few weeks off I have had time on my hands to delve deeper. Surprise !  Surprise !  The coalmans family somewhere along the line changed their name to " Coleman "

In 1970 a baby boy was born in Swansea who it appears was 149 th in line to the English throne, being a descendant of Ethelred the Unready. For obvious reasons the Welsh kept this quiet.     I just wonder if he would swap sides.
Posted by: Meza, July 3, 2016, 8:25am; Reply: 271
Funny that as im a descendant to Ethelred the unready.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), July 3, 2016, 9:52am; Reply: 272
[img]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmY3b0KWcAADGAA.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmY3WTVXYAA53rn.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmY5CHPWYAA-0w-.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Meza, July 3, 2016, 1:48pm; Reply: 273
Lol.....every person with the name Red  in their surname is a descendant.  Well so says this family book i have.
Posted by: golfer, July 3, 2016, 3:06pm; Reply: 274
Quoted from Meza
Lol.....every person with the name Red  in their surname is a descendant.  Well so says this family book i have.

If you were born before 1970 then you will be at least 148 th in line to the throne " Your Majesty " and should be entitled to a free season ticket at B.P. for life as when word gets around you will surely have  " Freedom of the Town."
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 3, 2016, 8:18pm; Reply: 275

France don't seem to be struggling against Iceland          France  2 - 0  Iceland        after 20 mins

Posted by: LH, July 3, 2016, 8:40pm; Reply: 276
Nothing really needs to be said does it? England are an embarrassment.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 3, 2016, 8:49pm; Reply: 277
Iceland are the equivalent to an average championship side, which shows the level of the England side. Even more disgusted now.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 3, 2016, 8:49pm; Reply: 278
Quoted from Meza
Funny that as im a descendant to Ethelred the unready.

I'm a descendant of Ethelred's alcoholic cousin, Ethelbert the Unsteady.
Posted by: buckstown, July 3, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 279
Well if Olivier Giroud  can score twice against Iceland that puts it into perspective

Posted by: Meza, July 4, 2016, 6:05am; Reply: 280
We do have players that are good enough.  What i could see some looked jaded, unfit and out of form.  Maybe one day we'll have a squad of players picked bssed on form.   Im sure thats how ot was years ago.
Posted by: Rick12, July 4, 2016, 9:36am; Reply: 281
Quoted from ginnywings
Iceland are the equivalent to an average championship side, which shows the level of the England side. Even more disgusted now.
Listening to some of the pundits a lot seemed to think England froze against Iceland.Hence its maybe a case of pressure getting to the players  and lack of unity that cost England more so than lack of talent .Hence football is not just about the technical the emotional is probably more key?
Posted by: Rick12, July 4, 2016, 9:41am; Reply: 282
Quoted from Grimbiggs
Some seem to think he has overtaken Ronaldo as the best player for Real Madrid.Myself I feel Christiano Ronaldo  is still the better technically eg skill wise is excellent and the only player that I feel and seen that has bettered him is Ronaldinho.Having said that Bale is a powerhouse of a player which I feel has a good head on him.Eg theres less of a arrogance there than Ronaldo but saying that you do need that belief in yourself to go places

Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2016, 8:41pm; Reply: 283

France score penalty just before half-time to take the lead over Germany against the run of play.

HT   Germany  0 - 1  France.......game on.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 7, 2016, 10:07pm; Reply: 284
Griezmann shows young English players the desire it takes to succeed at the top. Frequently told he was too small to make it, he took himself off to Spain at 13 and developed his game. Good on him.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 7, 2016, 10:24pm; Reply: 285
France's to lose now, greizzman as TGS at the start of the tournament wins me 90 quid too!
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 10, 2016, 4:23pm; Reply: 286

France to win 3 - 1 tonight    ( Murray on the verge of winning Wimbledon for a second time).
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), July 10, 2016, 5:13pm; Reply: 287
I hope Portugal do it tonight
Wouldn't normally back them but I'd rather it be them than France

Regardless of the outcome it should be a good one
[twitter]752021060166443009[/twitter]
Posted by: ginnywings, July 10, 2016, 8:11pm; Reply: 288
Ronaldo in tears. Ought to feel sorry for him, yet I don't.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 10, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 289
I do, he's not likeable but i want to see him play, he's special
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 10, 2016, 8:14pm; Reply: 290
Quoted from ginnywings
Ronaldo in tears. Ought to feel sorry for him, yet I don't.

Not a fan myself but I actually do feel sorry for him, anyway back on now but for how long ( biggest game of his life ).
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 10, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 291
How the hell did that clown Clattenburg get the gig?
Posted by: ginnywings, July 10, 2016, 8:20pm; Reply: 292
Quoted from Hagrid
I do, he's not likeable but i want to see him play, he's special

I'd rather he was playing I admit because he's a class act as a footballer, however, years of rolling around and play acting, plus that wink leaves me with no sympathy for him as a man.
Posted by: Sigone, July 10, 2016, 8:38pm; Reply: 293
Bored :B
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 10, 2016, 8:49pm; Reply: 294
Gary Lineker.....the moth on Ronaldo's face has now got it's own twitter account..... 8)
Posted by: chaos33, July 10, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 295
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd rather he was playing I admit because he's a class act as a footballer, however, years of rolling around and play acting, plus that wink leaves me with no sympathy for him as a man.

Posted by: LH, July 10, 2016, 9:09pm; Reply: 296
This final has so far summed this tournament up nicely.
Posted by: supertown, July 10, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 297
Quoted from Les Brechin
How the hell did that clown Clattenburg get the gig?

He isn't the worst by a long chalk
Posted by: ginnywings, July 10, 2016, 9:27pm; Reply: 298
England could have won this tournament with a decent manager in charge.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 10, 2016, 9:46pm; Reply: 299
Quoted from ginnywings
England could have won this tournament with a decent manager in charge.

Really?

Look at the starting 11 of France, Germany and even Portugal though we have some really good potential we are not even close to them in skill, technique, pace and oddly enough fitness.

How many England players would get in a German or French starting 11?  
Posted by: TAGG, July 10, 2016, 10:00pm; Reply: 300
Come on you porkandcheese

£120 in the pocket👍
Posted by: ginnywings, July 10, 2016, 10:11pm; Reply: 301
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Really?

Look at the starting 11 of France, Germany and even Portugal though we have some really good potential we are not even close to them in skill, technique, pace and oddly enough fitness.

How many England players would get in a German or French starting 11?  

Yes really. It's not always about individuals and Portugal are no great shakes. England have some very good players but they have been used badly by a poor manager. Its easy to slate the English players but the system lets them down.

And now it looks like an average Portugal side have won the tournament to follow Greece and Denmark in the past.
Posted by: LH, July 10, 2016, 10:37pm; Reply: 302
So despite missing three quarters of the game tonight and someone else scoring the winning goal all of the cameras are aimed at Cristiano Ronaldo at full time. It'll be a pub quiz question in years to come who scored the goal to win it.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 10, 2016, 10:41pm; Reply: 303
Quoted from LH
So despite missing three quarters of the game tonight and someone else scoring the winning goal all of the cameras are aimed at Cristiano Ronaldo at full time. It'll be a pub quiz question in years to come who scored the goal to win it.

Forgotten already.  :-/
Posted by: GrimRob, July 10, 2016, 11:18pm; Reply: 304
backed Portugal at 24/1 to win the tournament before it started, not the only team I backed by any means, but at least I came out on top. Hungary to win their group was my only other ante-post win.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 11, 2016, 7:09am; Reply: 305
So, a team that didn't win a game in the group stage and finished 3rd in their group behind Hungary and Iceland (no disrespect to those teams) and only won 1 game in 90 minutes during the entire competition are Champions Of Europe.

You couldn't really make it up!   ;)
Posted by: Rick12, July 11, 2016, 7:36am; Reply: 306
Quoted from LH
But its understandable as technically he is such a good player and one of the best.People gravitate to and admire the elite in sport
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:34pm