Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, May 29, 2016, 3:20pm
If this current team stays together, I'm having them as promotion contenders, outstanding football for league 1!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 29, 2016, 3:28pm; Reply: 1
Considering that they were bottom of the table in December after 20 games, it'll be a great achievement if they do hold onto their lead.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 29, 2016, 5:06pm; Reply: 2
For Championship? I think they'll be lucky to achieve mid-table.
Posted by: Tinymariner, May 29, 2016, 5:25pm; Reply: 3
Are Barnsley the first team since us to win the league trophy and playoff final in the same season?
Posted by: barralad, May 29, 2016, 5:21pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Tinymariner
Are Barnsley the first team since us to win the league trophy and playoff final in the same season?

Yep. Actually announced it although they didn't name us.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 29, 2016, 6:40pm; Reply: 5
Just shows what momentum can do, 13 wins in 21 games since December, creep into 6th place but be the form team in the play offs. Still don't think they will tear up any trees in the championship though.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2016, 6:35pm; Reply: 6
I always remember going to Oakwell when Town got promoted in 1979. A magnificent crowd of over 21,000 attended in the old League Division Four fixture.

I think it was the largest crowd at Oakwell for ten years.

Posted by: barralad, May 29, 2016, 6:52pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from promotion plaice
I always remember going to Oakwell when Town got promoted in 1979. A magnificent crowd of over 21,000 attended in the old League Division Four fixture.

I think it was the largest crowd at Oakwell for ten years.

That was a night that was. Some Barnsley fans somehow managed to throw a small anvil through the windscreen of the bus we were on whilst the game was taking place. There was no chance of a replacement being dispatched and the police just told us to get on any other bus that had spaces. I ended up on the Wheatsheaf bus which in a show of infinte wisdom decided to stop at Darfield between Donny and Barnsley for a drink before closing...word got round and there was a crowd of locals round the bus as we tried to get back on to go home.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 29, 2016, 10:19pm; Reply: 8
If Barnsley had held on to their 2-0 lead on Easter Monday 1982 then I'd probably not be a Town fan now. I've a bone to pick with them ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2016, 1:16am; Reply: 9
Fair play to t'Tykes. Best team on the day. Best fans too.

There was a section near the corner where the Millwall fans left even earlier than Forest green fans did. At least the Veggies waited til the game was over.
Posted by: chaos33, May 30, 2016, 7:37am; Reply: 10
Really pleased for Barnsley. Got friends who support them. Proper club.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 30, 2016, 2:43pm; Reply: 11
That 79 game we got chased out the ground to the railway station never seen so many GTFC fans crammed on one train most without tickets the station master just gave up lol.
I think the last time I see them at BP we hammered them 6-1 clearly remember the old score board photo in the news.  :)
Ilkley moor bar tat got a hiding that day lol.
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 30, 2016, 3:15pm; Reply: 12
Remember seeing Mick Macarthy as a youngster, can't remember the year, but he was class and you could see he was destined to go play at a higher level.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 30, 2016, 3:27pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Gaffer58
Remember seeing Mick Macarthy as a youngster, can't remember the year, but he was class and you could see he was destined to go play at a higher level.

Was that the one where Bobby Cummings broke Alan Clarke's leg or the one where Norman "bites you legs" Hunter got sent off after an altercation with our Sir Bobby?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 30, 2016, 4:42pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Gaffer58

As I remember things there was no love lost between Drinks and McCarthy....some proper tussles between our old fashioned centre forward and their centre half
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 10:31pm