Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 26, 2016, 11:20pm
What a top guy he is also,

quote -

KEEPING the likes of Toto Nsiala and James McKeown can propel Grimsby Town to Football League glory next season.

That's according to Craig Clay – one of TEN players released by Mariners boss Paul Hurst earlier in the week.

Of course, the central midfielder was naturally disappointed to see his two-year spell at Blundell Park brought to an end.

However, with the right additions – and two key re-signings – Clay feels the Mariners can build on their recent promotion in League Two.

He told the Telegraph: "If you look at Bristol Rovers, they kept a core group together and brought in a few players.

"I have no doubts Grimsby will be up and around the promotion places again.

"For me, the two key players are Toto (Nsiala) and Macca (James McKeown).

"If both of those decide to stay, it would be two massive signings for the club to build on in the Football League.

"I think Toto could play at a very high level – especially if he doesn't keep getting as frustrated as he does!

"He's a top, top player. If they keep those two, there's no reason why Grimsby can't do well yet again next season."

"It's one of those things, and something that every footballer has to deal with at some point in their career.

"You have to respect the gaffer and his choice – I'm sure he's already got some other targets in mind.

"I have to crack on and find a new club – but my two years at Grimsby were the best of my footballing career.

"I played at least 30 or 35 games each season.

"We didn't quite make it last year, so it was amazing to go one step further, and I'm so proud to have been part of the squad that got Grimsby back in the Football League."

Posted by: kevikov, May 26, 2016, 11:45pm; Reply: 1
Fair play to him. Best wishes Craig.
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2016, 11:45pm; Reply: 2
Feel for him. He must be hurting and has put a brave face on it and been professional and gracious. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute and imagine his disappointment after what we've achieved. To be deemed not good enough to get another contract to finally play league football. Whether you think he should have been retained or not, you've got to empathise with him. He's an honest, dedicated pro. Thanks for all your efforts Craig Clay. You will be remembered fondly and you did a good job. Good luck to him in future.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 27, 2016, 12:27am; Reply: 3
Thanks Craig
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2016, 12:47am; Reply: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Feel for him. He must be hurting and has put a brave face on it and been professional and gracious. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute and imagine his disappointment after what we've achieved. To be deemed not good enough to get another contract to finally play league football. Whether you think he should have been retained or not, you've got to empathise with him. He's an honest, dedicated pro. Thanks for all your efforts Craig Clay. You will be remembered fondly and you did a good job. Good luck to him in future.

Well put. I think it was the right decision to move him on, but i do feel for him and have said previously that he will always be remembered as one of the squad that got us back in the league, and for that i'll be forever grateful and wish him well.
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 27, 2016, 7:15am; Reply: 5
Agreed, forever grateful to the part he played in our promotion and best wishes from me.
Posted by: DocTower, May 27, 2016, 7:25am; Reply: 6
If he has trouble finding a new club and we are thin on the ground trying to sign players I would certainly have him back .
Posted by: big al, May 27, 2016, 8:14am; Reply: 7
If he played like he did at Southport, all the time, he would have been one of the first on my team sheet. An intelligent player will real finesse.
Posted by: Garth, May 27, 2016, 9:04am; Reply: 8
Good Luck and thanks Craig, absolute certain to get another club soon
Posted by: moosey_club, May 27, 2016, 9:35am; Reply: 9
Quoted from chaos33

Glass half full or half empty ?
Craig was good enough to play in a team that made Wembley three times during his 2 season spell and won promotion.....nothing to be disappointed about there.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 27, 2016, 10:24am; Reply: 10
I like Clay he was a decent player,

I hope he gets fixed up with a decent club soon.
Posted by: kiwi pete, May 27, 2016, 11:02am; Reply: 11
i am very disappointed in PH as I thought Craig Clay and Gregor Robertson really deserved to have been retained, as both on their days were  inspirational  to the other players,
However I hope and wish they both succeed in in getting another club , in the league 2, remember PH released two players last season in Pell and Parslow who proved PH  wrong who also should have stayed at Town.in my opinion
I must admit though I don't understand some of PH decisions and I never have ,

Posted by: RichMariner, May 27, 2016, 12:12pm; Reply: 12
I remember him being on trial with us two summers ago. There was another midfielder who impressed us far more... can't remember his name - Hinchcliffe? - but Hurst chose Clay, and we felt like it was the wrong decision.

I clearly remember Clay being judged before he'd kicked a ball for us in a competitive match.

We're a harsh lot. So to work his way into the team, and play his part in our promotion is a tremendous achievement for him.

While not everyone was disappointed to hear he'd been released, all of us wish him well - and that says a fair bit about the man.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 27, 2016, 2:31pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from chaos33

A great assessment.

Best of luck to Craig.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 27, 2016, 3:47pm; Reply: 14
JPP and Craig Clay "interview in telegraph" threads already.

Having done the Craig Clay one I don't want to take another players thunder again, so does anyone fancy posting -

"Gregor Robertson interview in Telegraph" I just feel he is being left out.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 27, 2016, 4:29pm; Reply: 15
Thanks Craig, J.P.P. and Gregor all valiant servants to the club and instrumental in getting us back in the league hope you all find other clubs.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 28, 2016, 1:48pm; Reply: 16
Still can't see why we would release him.

I hope it's because Hurst and Fenty have a masterplan to splash some cash and bring in several quality midfield players. Time will tell.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 6:20pm