Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 26, 2016, 4:51pm
We all seem a bit bored, so lets change the topic from slagging off our own players; what do you think line-ups will be, finishing place, and man of the torunament for us?

Posted by: RonMariner, May 26, 2016, 5:00pm; Reply: 1
With Vardy and Kane up front, and Rooney and Alli just behind, I think we will score plenty of goals.

But we look fragile at the back. I think we will get through the group, but not reach the semi's.

Expect a high scoring quarterfinal defeat.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 26, 2016, 5:43pm; Reply: 2
Yes I can see us either winning or losing most games 3-2
Posted by: Sconeboy, May 26, 2016, 5:47pm; Reply: 3
Quarters at best I reckon!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 26, 2016, 5:44pm; Reply: 4
Should be a good tournament I think. Plenty of "lesser" teams but no whipping boys should make for some surprises. England are capable of playing an entertaining role in proceedings with plenty of goal threat. Could feasibly go out very early or win the thing but quarters or semis seems the likeliest exit point..
Posted by: Grimbiggs, May 26, 2016, 5:51pm; Reply: 5
We'll progress out of the group stages...but i can't see the defence being good enough for the later stages...we've had a far better squad then this and failed, but who knows, at least this team can score goals, just hope Hodgson goes for it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 26, 2016, 5:54pm; Reply: 6

The future is looking bright.
I watched England U21 beat Paraguay 4-0  in the Toulon Tournament last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36384533
Posted by: wodewick, May 26, 2016, 5:59pm; Reply: 7
Brexit for me.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 26, 2016, 6:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from promotion plaice

They often do better than the senior side but it doesn't progress beyond that unfortunately. Our players do not develop as well as other nations. Some of our younger players should try their luck abroad to improve technically IMO.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 26, 2016, 6:29pm; Reply: 9
Alli to be sent off in one of the group games
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 26, 2016, 6:26pm; Reply: 10
should clear the group, but all depends on who he plays up front, slow Rooney or the pace of Vardy and Kane
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 26, 2016, 6:29pm; Reply: 11
Could be a struggle, but I think Sigþórsson will bang in a few goals to see us through, with some sterling defending from Sævarsson gaining him our player of the tournament accolade
Posted by: TAGG, May 26, 2016, 7:33pm; Reply: 12
If we don't take injured players like we normally do then I think we could make the final.

Vote OUT 👍🏾
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, May 26, 2016, 7:35pm; Reply: 13
Wales to win the group, and the whole thing.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 27, 2016, 11:23pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mariner93er
Could be a struggle, but I think Sigþórsson will bang in a few goals to see us through, with some sterling defending from Sævarsson gaining him our player of the tournament accolade

Go Iceland! Go!

(dwarf)
Posted by: Archer, May 29, 2016, 11:18am; Reply: 15
I can't believe how much Alli has come on this season, i thought  he would be a bit part player at Spurs but that lad has some potential and looks like a certain starter for England.

Im still not sure how good England are but who knows what could happen as some of these young lads play without fear. Tougher competion now they have added a round of 16.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, May 29, 2016, 12:08pm; Reply: 16
Still got 2 pairs of tickets in Bordeaux and Toulouse for sale for anyone interested.
Posted by: Rick12, May 29, 2016, 6:21pm; Reply: 17
Think Barkley will do well if he goes.Love his attitude and the way in which he plays the game.Hungry ,positive and good technically
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2016, 6:17pm; Reply: 18
Wales to win the group, and the whole thing.

;D ;D ;D

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2016, 7:08pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from promotion plaice

Well done England for winning the tournament for the first time in 22 years and beating the French on their own patch

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/29/england-france-toulon-tournament-final-match-report
Posted by: topuphere666, May 30, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 20
Germany not having the best tournament warm up!
Posted by: Bignic69, May 30, 2016, 8:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from topuphere666
Germany not having the best tournament warm up!

Which means they'll go on to romp it.
Posted by: topuphere666, May 30, 2016, 8:52pm; Reply: 22
More than likely! Haha.
Posted by: Archer, May 30, 2016, 11:45pm; Reply: 23
Germany will turn up when it matters you mark my words.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 30, 2016, 11:47pm; Reply: 24
3rd in the group. Kane to score our only two goals. Germans to beat Belgium in the final
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 31, 2016, 12:02am; Reply: 25
Wouldn't pick Alli, too much of a head case and neither Vardy, too likely to dive and get sent off

Hart

Clyne
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Drinkwater
Dier
Rooney
Sterling

Kane
Sturride
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2016, 11:59pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mariner_09
Wouldn't pick Alli, too much of a head case and neither Vardy, too likely to dive and get sent off

Hart

Clyne
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Drinkwater
Dier
Rooney
Sterling

Kane
Sturride

KEEP BRITAIN IN.

I don't agree with the last bit.

Posted by: Archer, May 31, 2016, 1:23am; Reply: 27
LOL. Play your best players meaning Alli and Vardy.
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 31, 2016, 2:13pm; Reply: 28
Need the Tottenham spine. Sdaly, for me, Vardy is an impact sub:

Hart

Walker - Smalling - Stones (was class against Australia) - Rose

Dier - Wilshere

Alli - Rooney - Sterling

Kane
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2016, 2:48pm; Reply: 29
Few people plumping for Sterling. Big transfer, plenty of hype but little end product IMO.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 31, 2016, 3:03pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings
Few people plumping for Sterling. Big transfer, plenty of hype but little end product IMO.

I agree Ginny, he always flatters to deceive for me.
Posted by: lukeo, May 31, 2016, 3:02pm; Reply: 31
Hart

Clyne
Cahill
Stones
Rose

Dier

alli rooney sterling

kane vardy
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 31, 2016, 3:26pm; Reply: 32
Sterling has the speed and skills, and brings something different. Would ideally sub him off at the hour mark for Lallana who IMO is very underrated
Posted by: Grimbiggs, May 31, 2016, 3:36pm; Reply: 33
                   Hart

Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Ali        Wilshere       Lallana

Rooney

Kane

This is the team i'd start with against Russia, although a have a feeling Milner will feature ahead of Ali, as rather than wanting to win the game, Roy will set up, not to lose...Everton are my 2nd team and i don't think Stones and Barkley are consistent enough to start, both liable to make errors and give the ball away to much.
Posted by: Maringer, May 31, 2016, 4:18pm; Reply: 34
Sterling is the archetypal modern English winger. Quick and strong with a few tricks, but completely unable to pass or cross the ball accurately and pretty hopeless in front of goal as well.

I'd personally have taken Townsend who has always looked a real threat for England and also finished the season well at Newcastle.

Feel sorry for Drinkwater missing out, especially as Wilshire seems to have played about 5 minutes of football in the past few seasons and is likely to become crocked within seconds of the start of the tournament. Same goes for Sturridge, for that matter.
Posted by: Archer, May 31, 2016, 8:20pm; Reply: 35
That's the squad announced, folk are having kittens about Drinkwater being left out .
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 11:23pm