Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 4, 2016, 5:39pm
Opinions or preferences for tonight's game and the tie in general?

VGR have been on a poor run but they still finished comfortably in 2nd and on paper look strong for this level. Dover are a tough nut to crack but possibly quite limited.

Obviously as long as we get to the final I don't really care who we play but if I absolutely had to choose one I'd prefer I'd go for Dover. I think VGR have more potential to raise their game.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 4, 2016, 6:17pm; Reply: 1
I expect Dover to get a first leg lead.
Posted by: dicko995, May 4, 2016, 6:15pm; Reply: 2
are these play offs being televised by any chance, as I'm on nights....and peed off!!!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 4, 2016, 6:15pm; Reply: 3
The 1-0 away win for FGR at Dover last week is probably a good indicator of how this will go.

Would not playing either of them in the final. If we get there.  
Posted by: GrimRob, May 4, 2016, 6:54pm; Reply: 4
Commanding lead for Dover hopefully.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2016, 6:52pm; Reply: 5
Straight red cards to key players please.
Posted by: oochiad, May 4, 2016, 7:07pm; Reply: 6
Ooooooh look at the huge VGR away support........
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 4, 2016, 7:03pm; Reply: 7
I think FGR will go through to the final, I don't like FGR but they're a strong team and will be no push overs.
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 4, 2016, 7:16pm; Reply: 8
Hope the atmosphere at BP tomorrow night is better than the Crabble tonight.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 4, 2016, 7:32pm; Reply: 9
Wow!

Top strike!
Posted by: Hagrid, May 4, 2016, 7:32pm; Reply: 10
Fgr lead
Posted by: psgmariner, May 4, 2016, 7:33pm; Reply: 11
Deservedly so. Look the better team so far.
Posted by: Davec, May 4, 2016, 7:34pm; Reply: 12
Oh I say, cracking finish
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2016, 7:35pm; Reply: 13

The sight of a smug Vince was hard to take.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 4, 2016, 7:39pm; Reply: 14
Excellent finish from Williams, but the defending from Dover leading up to it was shocking. They had 3 separate chances to clear their lines, but failed miserably every time.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 4, 2016, 7:41pm; Reply: 15
Atmosphere is terrible
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 4, 2016, 7:44pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Chrisblor
Excellent finish from Williams, but the defending from Dover leading up to it was shocking. They had 3 separate chances to clear their lines, but failed miserably every time.

Aswad n the thick of it by any chance?  ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, May 4, 2016, 7:49pm; Reply: 17
Dover woefully slow to close down FGR

Not impressed with either but Dover have froze so far
Posted by: GrimRob, May 4, 2016, 7:56pm; Reply: 18
Just settled down to watch the game and its half time! What happened? Executive summary?
Posted by: tintowner, May 4, 2016, 8:16pm; Reply: 19
2071 in attendance with 117 from the village......

tinpot😚
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2016, 8:51pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from tintowner

tinpot😚

Shocking.

What are we doing struggling to compete with these outfits?
Posted by: realist, May 4, 2016, 8:48pm; Reply: 21
We lack not only a chairman, but  anybody in charge brave enough to make decisions.  
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 4, 2016, 8:53pm; Reply: 22
How did we struggle against these two teams, especially Dover, both were shocking Dover not helped by a one sided ref, looks like it'll be VGR going through as I don't see Dover breaking them down now
Posted by: moosey_club, May 4, 2016, 9:09pm; Reply: 23
Seriously can we stop with the high and mighty on attendances....reaching play offs is done on the pitch not the terraces.

Posted by: GrimRob, May 4, 2016, 9:09pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from RonMariner

Shocking.

What are we doing struggling to compete with these outfits?

In the case of VGR they have more money than we do.They might have very few supporters but it doesn't mean much when they have the payroll they do, because they .are bankrolled by one person.
Posted by: Garth, May 4, 2016, 9:14pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from tintowner

tinpot😚

For a play off semi

Unbelievable Jeff!(eek)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 4, 2016, 9:10pm; Reply: 26
Top 5 Things about tonight..............

- If we get to meet them and get about our business we can beat both of these.

- Their goal scorer said after the game "all being well we won't have to come back here" effing smart bottom  

- Their manager looks like he is 11 years old.........and says all the right things do they give out   talking badges as well as coaching badges from lucky bags? Fuckin hell can they talk a good game.

- Clem has his tongue firmly right up the VGR arses and so does that one hit wonder Peter Taylor. Listening to the post match interview I know why they don't let Clem near the Prem as he would be cracking one out if he interviewed a World Class player.

- .Town...... It may be now or never!!

UTM!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 4, 2016, 9:11pm; Reply: 27
"Their" being VGR BTW!
Posted by: Trent_Mariner1, May 4, 2016, 9:31pm; Reply: 28
Think Pipe should have gone for that challenge at the end.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2016, 9:40pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from GrimRob

In the case of VGR they have more money than we do.They might have very few supporters but it doesn't mean much when they have the payroll they do, because they .are bankrolled by one person.

What on earth is the point of a club where only 117 fans can be arsed to turn up for a play off semi? Ridiculous.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 4, 2016, 9:43pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from RonMariner

What on earth is the point of a club where only 117 fans can be arsed to turn up for a play off semi? Ridiculous.

I know! We should have a salary cap to stop individuals elevating teams far above their natural support level.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 4, 2016, 9:43pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Trent_Mariner1

Not as bad as one earlier which was a real 2 footer by Marsh Brown I think
Got to say looking at that tonight why do we fear these teams, playing at two thirds our ability we should murder them
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2016, 10:38pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from GrimRob

I know! We should have a salary cap to stop individuals elevating teams far above their natural support level.

A club should represent a community in some form. Currently many of them represent nothing more than the ego of some super rich patron .

Such clubs just have no real foundation. it's like Coyne Dynamos, or Rushden and Diamonds. When the sugar daddy gets bored or finds a new hobby the clubs fold. History and tradition do mean something.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2016, 10:43pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Trent_Mariner1

Didn't he play for Newport and kick us all over the park?
Posted by: Golden fox, May 4, 2016, 10:43pm; Reply: 34
I get the point and I know FGR are bankrolled , but the  attendance argument has always/does make me cringe ..... What about us when we were in the championship ? Genuinely 'punching above our weight ' everyone deserves a shot however it comes . There's just different ways of going about it .
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2016, 10:51pm; Reply: 35
I think there is a difference between a smaller club doing well because they are well run, have a great team spirit and punch above their weight, and a non entity club being bankrolled to buy their way ahead of the competition.

I am all for the underdogs, and am delighted to see Leicester beat the money bag outfits.

But these 'executive toy' clubs are just tackle extensions.      
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2016, 10:53pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from RonMariner
I think there is a difference between a smaller club doing well because they are well run, have a great team spirit and punch above their weight, and a non entity club being bankrolled to buy their way ahead of the competition.

I am all for the underdogs, and am delighted to see Leicester beat the money bag outfits.

And that's 'tackle' spelt with a p and ending in an s :-)
Posted by: Golden fox, May 4, 2016, 10:59pm; Reply: 37
What about the 'hardcore' fans of teams like FGR and the like though , it must be like Christmas has come early . Let's be honest we would all snap a 'sugar daddy's' hand off to come in and do the same at Town ! Anyone who says different is trying to convince themselves .
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2016, 11:02pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Golden fox
What about the 'hardcore' fans of teams like FGR and the like though , it must be like Christmas has come early . Let's be honest we would all snap a 'sugar daddy's' hand off to come in and do the same at Town ! Anyone who says different is trying to convince themselves .

I agree. and if I won £100 million on the euro lottery I would definitely buy us back into the league.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 4, 2016, 11:01pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Golden fox

I am not sure VGR where ever know for their Ultras.....

Posted by: arryarryarry, May 4, 2016, 11:19pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from RonMariner

Didn't he play for Newport and kick us all over the park?

Not sure if he kicked us all over the park but he was one of their best players on the day.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 4, 2016, 11:29pm; Reply: 41
Watched these 2 teams play each other tonight - and lets face it - they are not very good.

The big question is - can Town snap out of this recent nothing form and produce a 'big' performance tomorrow night? If Town knock in a few, Braintree's home crowd will be a few (even less than if Braintree win at Town - not many) for the second leg.

Let's face it - Town have the best front 2 in terms of goals - to put this tie to bed. They just need to be supplied.

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 5, 2016, 3:59am; Reply: 42
Well the time for talking is almost over it's down to the lads out there. We will do our part just make sure you do yours please. You know you have the ability and in Amond the finisher go attack and show us the early season form.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 5, 2016, 6:59am; Reply: 43
Same comments every year! Its non league football. What were you expecting?

FGR looked average, Dover looked overawed and very limited. On recent performances we have looked awful and clueless according to most. Here's hoping we can raise our game to ok or even pretty good.
Posted by: toontown, May 5, 2016, 8:23am; Reply: 44
Agree with that - no Dover or VGR fan would be saying anything other than we look very beatable/clueless etc if they had sen a lot of our recent performances - we need to improve markedly from hoofing it up to two strikers towered over by their respective defenders in order to be a threat esp against VGR. Can we do it, yes, will we do it, different matter.
Posted by: Maringer, May 5, 2016, 9:19am; Reply: 45
FGR are a decent non-league team with a great pedigree at this level and they've been members of the Conference for some years now. What sticks in the craw is their ridiculous spending since Vince selected them for his vanity project. If Braintree go up (heaven forbid!), it will be because they've earned it despite their limited resources. If FGR go up (heaven forbid!), it will be because Vince has chucked around silly money for a number of seasons. Neither team would survive for long in the League, but at least Braintree are going about it in a more sustainable manner.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 5, 2016, 9:43am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Maringer
FGR are a decent non-league team with a great pedigree at this level and they've been members of the Conference for some years now. What sticks in the craw is their ridiculous spending since Vince selected them for his vanity project. If Braintree go up (heaven forbid!), it will be because they've earned it despite their limited resources. If FGR go up (heaven forbid!), it will be because Vince has chucked around silly money for a number of seasons. Neither team would survive for long in the League, but at least Braintree are going about it in a more sustainable manner.

VGR would survive in the league until the day Vince Goes Rip then they would inevitably implode
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 5, 2016, 9:46am; Reply: 47
Quoted from RonMariner

Agree x 1,000,000
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 5, 2016, 9:57am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Maringer

Sadly Football Sustainability = Cash Flow.

If a side (I am obviously not talking about Braintree here) with a poor ground, small average gate &  PT players go up they will be limited on who they can bring in as a chunk of any income will go on making the ground fit for purpose and paying lads who where PT to FT wages. Works for a bit but not a long term fix.    

If a side with a Vegan moralist preacher who refuses to sell meat products at "his" ground as a benefactor get promotion the trend for renewable energy will fund an endless stream of Parkin's, Carters etc, experienced players who could play for bigger clubs but choose a "vegan way " for an extra few quid a week. I find VGR very hypocritical TBH, very ethical with the environment but happy to throw money around to achieve success under the banner of "a project", If they ran their club true to their beliefs they would surely grow the playing side "organically" with a mix of signings and home grown products.  

Posted by: Stagbol, May 5, 2016, 10:52am; Reply: 49
[b][/b]Never mind FGR or Braintree's Pub team, Your lads will use their experience to get through this lottery of play offs and join us in league 2 next season. You have the players, you have brilliant supporters and they have 3 years experience of play offs.....We'll be watching every kick on BT Sport tonight....

COME ON YOU MARINERS.

A Well Wishing Mansfield Town Supporter  8) 8)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 5, 2016, 10:58am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Stagbol
[b][/b]Never mind FGR or Braintree's Pub team, Your lads will use their experience to get through this lottery of play offs and join us in league 2 next season. You have the players, you have brilliant supporters and they have 3 years experience of play offs.....We'll be watching every kick on BT Sport tonight....

COME ON YOU MARINERS.

A Well Wishing Mansfield Town Supporter  8) 8)

I hope the next fixture list I see as Grimsby Town vs Mansfield on it somewhere if does you can redeem it for a free pt courtesy of me.UTM
Posted by: Stagbol, May 5, 2016, 11:21am; Reply: 51
NICE ONE! ;D ;D
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 10:53pm