Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Davec, April 12, 2016, 10:00am
As we know many abandoned disused derelict buildings in the area

When did House Of Holland close at the Riby Square end of Freeman Street?

Also what's that large building behind the railway line down that small road running of Pasture Street, it may be called Robinson street or something like that ? what was that building used for ?

Also anybody got any fascinating interesting memories or stories of these buildings when they were used ?

Also what other derelict buildings is there

This could be an interesting thread
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, April 12, 2016, 10:19am; Reply: 1
Dont get me started on the council they would rather intercourse about with stupid pavement around town and mess the whole bus system up rather than doing up old buildings which are smashed up and in need of repair.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 12, 2016, 6:04pm; Reply: 2
Good post Dave this is something I'm very interested in myself - I seem to recall that building saying Viscount on it (on corner of Pasture street)/Robinson street) not sure what they did, Who can remember the old brewery down near pasture street? Can't remember the name maybe some of the older posters may remember! ;)

I'm very interested in the bygones and love to read them in the telegraph Dave, I must be getting old now because I was in them myself The other day (when I was boxing in the 90's) anyone see it?
Posted by: barralad, April 12, 2016, 6:15pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Good post Dave this is something I'm very interested in myself - I seem to recall that building saying Viscount on it (on corner of Pasture street)/Robinson street) not sure what they did, Who can remember the old brewery down near pasture street? Can't remember the name maybe some of the older posters may remember! ;)

I'm very interested in the bygones and love to read them in the telegraph Dave, I must be getting old now because I was in them myself The other day (when I was boxing in the 90's) anyone see it?

The brewery was Hewitt's later Stones. That other building was I think something to do with Cosalt. Don't quote me tho.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 12, 2016, 6:22pm; Reply: 4
Hewitts  but that drunken old sod barralad beat me to it. ;D
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 12, 2016, 7:17pm; Reply: 5
Who can remember the old signal boxes at Fish dock road, Wellowgate, Cartergate, Littlefield lane, Great Coates?

My old box Pasture Street got demolished December 26th 2015 due to the re-signalling programme - the only one remaining is Garden street which can not be demolished due to being a listed building (although Network rail tried damned hard to get it demolished)
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 12, 2016, 7:54pm; Reply: 6
Me  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2016, 11:05pm; Reply: 7
The Ice House currently falling slowly to bits and another bit of the towns heritage crumbling before our eyes. They will let it get to the stage where it can be declared dangerous and then they will have an excuse to knock it down. File under Winter Gardens and the Nautical School.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 12, 2016, 11:58pm; Reply: 8
The school on Eleanor street is a pretty building. How long has it been boarded up?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 13, 2016, 8:52am; Reply: 9
Quoted from AdamHaddock
The school on Eleanor street is a pretty building. How long has it been boarded up?

I used to go for swimming lessons there when I was a kid, (I got my 1st grade there) must be the 80s when it closed Adam.
Posted by: psgmariner, April 13, 2016, 10:04am; Reply: 10
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I used to go for swimming lessons there when I was a kid, (I got my 1st grade there) must be the 80s when it closed Adam.

Yeah I went there in the mid - late 80s with Lisle Marsden.

Interesting article (if you like that sort of thing!) about it here - http://www.bathsandwashhouses.co.uk/archive/your-local-buildings/grimsby/

Oh and Rod Collins website is great for local history:

http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/category/grimsby-cleethorpes/
Posted by: Caveman, April 13, 2016, 11:06am; Reply: 11
I haven't lived in the Grimsby area for nearly forty years
and haven't been down Robinson Street ( if it still exists )
for ages but the old Ticklers Jam factory used to somewhere
around there.

Christmas Eve in the little old pub down Robinson St when
all the factory girls flocked in could be most interesting !
Posted by: mariner83, April 13, 2016, 3:24pm; Reply: 12
This is pretty good for old photos [url=https://www.facebook.com/GrimsbyCleethorpesHistory/?fref=ts]https://www.facebook.com/GrimsbyCleethorpesHistory/?fref=ts[/url]
Posted by: barralad, April 14, 2016, 9:49am; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
The Ice House currently falling slowly to bits and another bit of the towns heritage crumbling before our eyes. They will let it get to the stage where it can be declared dangerous and then they will have an excuse to knock it down. File under Winter Gardens and the Nautical School.

Add:- Palace Buffet, Clee Park and it looks as though The Vic is in their sights....
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 14, 2016, 10:13am; Reply: 14
Quoted from AdamHaddock

I used to go training there in the 60's when I played for NALGO,

We had a nice swim afterwards.

Posted by: Maringer, April 14, 2016, 4:33pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Who can remember the old signal boxes at Fish dock road, Wellowgate, Cartergate, Littlefield lane, Great Coates?

My old box Pasture Street got demolished December 26th 2015 due to the re-signalling programme - the only one remaining is Garden street which can not be demolished due to being a listed building (although Network rail tried damned hard to get it demolished)

My Grandad worked in a signal box which would have been at either Cartergate or Littlefield Lane (don't remember which) and I have vague memories of visiting him there as a young lad. Would have been around the mid to late 1970s, I suppose. I do seem to remember being very impressed by the big levers to operate the signals!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 14, 2016, 5:26pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Maringer

My Grandad worked in a signal box which would have been at either Cartergate or Littlefield Lane (don't remember which) and I have vague memories of visiting him there as a young lad. Would have been around the mid to late 1970s, I suppose. I do seem to remember being very impressed by the big levers to operate the signals!

What was his name if you don't mind me asking Maringer? I'm in a lever frame box now at Skegness, I was at Barrow road (New Holland) initially then went on to Stallingborough box then to Pasture Street  box - I worked with men who worked Cartergate and Littlefield back in the early 80s so they most probably know of him.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 14, 2016, 5:31pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from cmackenzie4

What was his name if you don't mind me asking Maringer? I'm in a lever frame box now at Skegness, I was at Barrow road (New Holland) initially then went on to Stallingborough box then to Pasture Street  box - I worked with men who worked Cartergate and Littlefield back in the early 80s so they most probably know of him.

Grandad
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 14, 2016, 9:27pm; Reply: 18
Norris The Rubberman's shop in Pasture St has been unused and boarded up for what must be over 20 years now.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 21, 2016, 9:35am; Reply: 19
Quoted from barralad

Add:- Palace Buffet, Clee Park and it looks as though The Vic is in their sights....

Palace Buffet is still there Barra, just been knocked around a bit when it was converted to shops...did you mean the Palace Theatre next door?
Posted by: mariner83, May 26, 2016, 1:13pm; Reply: 20
[url=http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/council-inaction-worse-for-grimsbys-image-than-sacha-baron-cohen-film/]http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/council-inaction-worse-for-grimsbys-image-than-sacha-baron-cohen-film/[/url]
Posted by: grimps, May 28, 2016, 1:46pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

I can remember 20 odd years ago when the Ice factory closed on the dock , an old guy I worked with then said that 'they'll let it fall down rather than spend any money on it' his prediction has come true
Posted by: barralad, May 28, 2016, 6:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from moosey_club

Palace Buffet is still there Barra, just been knocked around a bit when it was converted to shops...did you mean the Palace Theatre next door?

Yep..that would be right...
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 9:46am