Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: gtfc98, September 4, 2011, 4:18pm
I subscribe to Mariners Player because I want to guarantee that I can see highlights of every game, interviews etc and also because its another way of helping the club out. But something seriously needs looking into with regards to the quality of the service being provided. I've already seen the FGR highlights on youtube, although the image quality was excellent they appeared a little one sided as you'd expect so thought I'd give ours a go. Why is it that the same highlights, filmed by presumably the same camera are of such substandard quality? They are truly shocking and although at £4.50 a month it isn't expensive surely it isn't difficult to upload videos that are actually watchable?

Posted by: 1600 (Guest), September 4, 2011, 5:01pm; Reply: 1
Just watched the MP highlights and can safely say it's not the same camera and not even the same set of highlights - saw lots of things the 17 mins didn't show, most notably the incident where McKeown sticks out his leg to clear the ball.

I sympathize with you about the quality of the video and lack of sound but that's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose.
I'm glad to see as much footage as I can so glad you raised this or I might not have bothered watching MP at all.
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, September 4, 2011, 5:08pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from gtfc98
I subscribe to Mariners Player because I want to guarantee that I can see highlights of every game, interviews etc and also because its another way of helping the club out. But something seriously needs looking into with regards to the quality of the service being provided. I've already seen the FGR highlights on youtube, although the image quality was excellent they appeared a little one sided as you'd expect so thought I'd give ours a go. Why is it that the same highlights, filmed by presumably the same camera are of such substandard quality? They are truly shocking and although at £4.50 a month it isn't expensive surely it isn't difficult to upload videos that are actually watchable?

The quality of the last few games on mp has been good, vastly improved on last season. maybe Forrest green would not allow us to film and made us wait for the footage?   Crawley did something similar last season.

Posted by: Abdul19, September 4, 2011, 6:37pm; Reply: 3
Everything about MP oozes amateur. Could they not get some students to do it?
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, September 4, 2011, 6:45pm; Reply: 4
It seems to be the Newport game and the Forest Green games that are poor quality . .are they 2 games where town could not film? The others are excellent quality and a big improvement. I can't see any coverage of any of Forest Greens away games on there? Check out Lincoln's highlights v Darlo.
http://www.redimps.co.uk/page/player/LatestNews/0,,10440,00.html
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 4, 2011, 7:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Abdul19

I'm sure people have posted on here before claiming they've offered to help out with Mariners World stuff for free only to be totally ignored by the club.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 4, 2011, 7:09pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Chrisblor

I'm sure people have posted on here before claiming they've offered to help out with Mariners World stuff for free only to be totally ignored by the club.

That doesn't surprise me.
Posted by: upthestripes, September 4, 2011, 8:05pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Chrisblor

Maybe they don't want to upset Dale? A 'no thank you' would've been nice though (if true)
Posted by: ginnywings, September 4, 2011, 8:31pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Abdul19

A lot at BP is amateur.First home game they ran out of lager in the bar.Second home game they had no lager or bitter according to one of the posters on here.Third home game my brother went to stretch his legs and was walking past the food outlet at the back of the upper,where he heard them say they had no hot dog buns and no crisps either.I know it's not really important in the scheme of things but if i employed someone to run the catering and that happened at three seperate games,i wouldn't be best pleased.It's just shoddy.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 4, 2011, 8:48pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

A lot at BP is amateur.First home game they ran out of lager in the bar.Second home game they had no lager or bitter according to one of the posters on here.Third home game my brother went to stretch his legs and was walking past the food outlet at the back of the upper,where he heard them say they had no hot dog buns and no crisps either.I know it's not really important in the scheme of things but if i employed someone to run the catering and that happened at three seperate games,i wouldn't be best pleased.It's just shoddy.

But at least you can get Chesseburgers!
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 4, 2011, 8:56pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GYinScuntland

But at least you can get Chesseburgers!

Not just any cheese burgers....cheese burgers that passed the John Fenty Chairman Taste Test Challenge
Posted by: gtfc98, September 4, 2011, 9:31pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from upthestripes

Maybe they don't want to upset Dale? A 'no thank you' would've been nice though (if true)

Who cares if it upsets him? If whoever puts the mariners player stuff together is incapable of doing a decent job maybe a bit of help wouldn't go amiss? They might learn a thing or two and help them do their job better in the long run.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 4, 2011, 10:04pm; Reply: 12
Unfortunately the quality of mariners player videos for away games is normally down to the away club to decide.  Most clubs don’t allow us to use our own video equipment  to film the games so we rely on what they supply us, The video we got from Forest Green had been heavily compressed then copied to a DVD.  The DVD for some reason also had no sound.
As the club was given this DVD after the game and it was not checked till the team got back then there was no way to rectify this.

As there are no rules currently set by the league on the quality of the video that the away club have to supply, the club ( Dale) can only work with what he has been given.

The Club have been working with the Video crew who film the games to get better quality for home games which are then normally uploaded within hours of the game finishing.
Posted by: Citymariner, September 4, 2011, 10:11pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Chrisblor

I offered free photography after doing work for the BBC. Not interested.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 4, 2011, 10:15pm; Reply: 14
The amateur nature of many a lower league club is one of the reasons they are lower league.

Whilst the burger van idea was one of fentys better ideas, the standard is so bad i think even a dog would turn it down and everything else atthw club is run on a shoe string. And yes, as city and others have said, gtfc have turned down many offers of voluntary help over the years...
Posted by: gtfc98, September 4, 2011, 10:46pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
Unfortunately the quality of mariners player videos for away games is normally down to the away club to decide.  Most clubs don’t allow us to use our own video equipment  to film the games so we rely on what they supply us, The video we got from Forest Green had been heavily compressed then copied to a DVD.  The DVD for some reason also had no sound.
As the club was given this DVD after the game and it was not checked till the team got back then there was no way to rectify this.

As there are no rules currently set by the league on the quality of the video that the away club have to supply, the club ( Dale) can only work with what he has been given.

The Club have been working with the Video crew who film the games to get better quality for home games which are then normally uploaded within hours of the game finishing.

Thanks for that mate. Goes a long way to explain why the forest green highlights are so poor
Posted by: gary_elton, September 4, 2011, 11:07pm; Reply: 16
most of the time , dont know why... the volume of the commentary / crowd noise varies from
non-existent to poor..., the FGR highlights I had no sound whatsoever.... anyone tell me why ???  :-/
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), September 4, 2011, 11:35pm; Reply: 17

Cheers for the explanation.

So FGR gave Town a compressed DVD version of the whole match which the club then edited into a 7 minute version ?

Just wondered why there were clips in our 7 mins that weren't in their 17 mins and assumed it must be different cameras...
Posted by: gary_elton, September 4, 2011, 11:43pm; Reply: 18
what a load of bollox.......
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), September 5, 2011, 12:06am; Reply: 19
What's up with you ?
Posted by: gary_elton, September 5, 2011, 12:32am; Reply: 20
Quoted from 1600
What's up with you ?

alcohol input takin over....  ;)
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), September 5, 2011, 12:36am; Reply: 21
Ah I thought so.   ;D
Drink lots of water !   ;)
Posted by: gary_elton, September 5, 2011, 12:40am; Reply: 22
Quoted from 1600
Ah I thought so.   ;D
Drink lots of water !   ;)

not a hope in hell.... ha ha :)
Posted by: aaron rattray, September 5, 2011, 8:28am; Reply: 23
on my work experience we went up onto the gantry, 1 tidgy tv about 15 inches and one camera both was open to all elements aswell so if the quality is poor im not suprised
Posted by: fotaura, September 5, 2011, 8:46am; Reply: 24
Thank you for the comments about the Highlights, which I do for Forest Green Rovers (www.fotraura.co.uk).

In reply to Rob

The DVD produced during the game is silenced and a compressed version, as these are rush duplicated for the Team, Referees Assessor and away manager. If we had been contacted prioir to the game, the uncompressed versions would have been available for your use, either as a Transfer file or HQ DVDs after the game. If your video guys wishes to contact us for reciprical swops, please pm me.
Posted by: Garth, September 5, 2011, 8:51am; Reply: 25
Quoted from aldi_01
The amateur nature of many a lower league club is one of the reasons they are lower league.

Whilst the burger van idea was one of fentys better ideas, the standard is so bad i think even a dog would turn it down and everything else atthw club is run on a shoe string. And yes, as city and others have said, gtfc have turned down many offers of voluntary help over the years...

Agreed! they turn down suggestions on how to win games and team selection from The Fishy members every week, absolute disgrace ;)
Posted by: voice of reason, September 5, 2011, 11:14am; Reply: 26

It's not just about the quality of the vids for me... It's the shitty commentators we have and the mistakes made when it is uploaded (how many times do they put it up and users can't open it)

It's just another thing that the club expect fans to pay for, yet don't seem to care that the quality is not up to standard...  :-/
Posted by: Drinkells Boot, September 5, 2011, 11:29am; Reply: 27
fotaura, You need to contact a dale@gtfc.co.uk this is just fans here.
Posted by: Perkins, September 5, 2011, 4:35pm; Reply: 28
The sheer nostalgia of the totally unbaised commentary of Roly Godfrey in the early videos of Town moves me close to tears!
Posted by: Tony_GTFC, September 5, 2011, 8:45pm; Reply: 29
Every time we get relegated the coverage gets a bit worse. But just think if we get promoted we'll be BBC again. In ten years time we could be on Match of the Day every Saturday night  8)
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 9:45pm