Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: kingofthekippers, August 5, 2009, 9:22pm
Hello viewers! It's the Benny Hill Show!

Well, 17 years since he passed away and tapes of his shows lie gathering dust in the vaults of ITV.

Ben Elton, once described Benny as a 'dirty old man'. Is this a true reflection or should we be ashamed that whilst the world still loves one of our comic legends, Britain still seems to be embarrassed by him.

Personally I think he's up there with Chaplin, Hope and Sellars as a great British export.
Posted by: 0ld timer, August 5, 2009, 9:30pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from kingofthekippers
Hello viewers! It's the Benny Hill Show!

Well, 17 years since he passed away and tapes of his shows lie gathering dust in the vaults of ITV.

Ben Elton, once described Benny as a 'dirty old man'. Is this a true reflection or should we be ashamed that whilst the world still loves one of our comic legends, Britain still seems to be embarrassed by him.

Personally I think he's up there with Chaplin, Hope and Sellars as a great British export.

genius
Posted by: barralad, August 5, 2009, 10:24pm; Reply: 2
Anyone who can write "Ernie" is O.K. by me...
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 5, 2009, 11:11pm; Reply: 3
Both!
Posted by: Teesknees, August 6, 2009, 7:00am; Reply: 4
Dirty old genius! Looking back most of his comedy still stands up and still makes me laugh, it doesn't have to be anymore complicated than that.
Even his Chinese guy is harmless inoffensive humour!
Posted by: NorfolkImp, August 6, 2009, 8:12am; Reply: 5
Brilliant for the late 60's/70's period ....... but wouldn't work (literally?) today, due to various poisonous quangos!

Posted by: Civvy at last, August 6, 2009, 1:55pm; Reply: 6
Genius in my book.  I believe still massive in the USA.  As for dirty old man, why?  You see just as much nudity in advertising nowadays than you saw in his shows.  He just put a show together that was funny and yes, it had the added bonus of girls in underware/bikini's in it as well.  Happy days.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 6, 2009, 3:14pm; Reply: 7
genius
Posted by: MaccaBilk, August 8, 2009, 8:24am; Reply: 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGEEcT8fyA
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, August 10, 2009, 7:08pm; Reply: 9
Genius. And I'm a foott soldier in the PC Brigade.
Print page generated: May 20, 2024, 8:01pm