Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: bigdavemariner, July 31, 2009, 8:16pm
Wanted, a cheap, the cheaper the better set of golf clubs. Need enough to get me started really. A driver, a wood, few irons and a putter pretty much (I think).

Anyone on here got any they want rid of? like I say, just starting out so don't want to pay alot, just so I've got some kit to start off with and chuck to the back of the shed when it starts to do my head in :)
Posted by: mike the mariner, July 31, 2009, 9:07pm; Reply: 1
The cheap sports shop in town (I forget the name) use to sell cheap individual clubs. I would advise Driver, 3 iron, 7 iron, Pitching Wedge and Putter as your first 5 clubs.  

Or car boot sales always have cheap sets.
Posted by: thevera, July 31, 2009, 9:24pm; Reply: 2
I have a set of Ping Zing 2's 3-pw in good condition which themselves are worth £150 I also have a Ping driver and a couplle of fairway woods along with a putter I could let you have for £225 total, I may even have an old bag you can have. I am not sure if £225 is your idea of cheap though. If you are looking for something cheaper than this then no problem.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, July 31, 2009, 9:30pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from mike the mariner
The cheap sports shop in town (I forget the name) use to sell cheap individual clubs. I would advise Driver, 3 iron, 7 iron, Pitching Wedge and Putter as your first 5 clubs.  

Or car boot sales always have cheap sets.

you can pick them up for like 7 squid from sportsworld
Posted by: bigdavemariner, July 31, 2009, 9:37pm; Reply: 4
Mike, cheers for the advice. I'm going to the oaklands carboot on sunday to have a look round.

thevera, I'll give you 40 quid lol. I'm sure they're good clubs, and great for someone that can play, but out of my price range really and probably too good a set of clubs for me to learn with at first.

Wrawby, thats my second option after the car boot I think mate. See what I can get.
Posted by: Biccys, July 31, 2009, 10:01pm; Reply: 5
If I were you, I'd ignore a 1 wood, go for either a 3 or even a 5. Driver is just too unforgiving for a beginner. I love my 5 wood!
Half a set of iron's would be a good starter too, 4-6-8 and a wedge is what I started with as a kid.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 2, 2009, 6:52pm; Reply: 6
I would go further than Biccy's and suggest you leave any woods well alone until you've got the hang of a set of irons. Once you can hit your irons, then start with the woods - you definitely don't want to be hacking about with a driver if you're just learning.

A half set ie 3,5,7,9 iron, pitching wedge and putter will be plenty to get going with. I would also advise staying away from sh1t sports shops selling kits. They sound cheap but they are utter crap. Best bet is go to a club and have a look in their shop. You should be able to get a reasonable half set of irons for less than £50. The pro should be able to give some advice and you should be able to hit a few shots on the range to find what you like. Happy golfing!
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 2, 2009, 7:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I would go further than Biccy's and suggest you leave any woods well alone until you've got the hang of a set of irons. Once you can hit your irons, then start with the woods - you definitely don't want to be hacking about with a driver if you're just learning.

A half set ie 3,5,7,9 iron, pitching wedge and putter will be plenty to get going with. I would also advise staying away from sh1t sports shops selling kits. They sound cheap but they are utter crap. Best bet is go to a club and have a look in their shop. You should be able to get a reasonable half set of irons for less than £50. The pro should be able to give some advice and you should be able to hit a few shots on the range to find what you like. Happy golfing!

WHS.  

Failing that, there are always the odd set in the Telewag normally including bag etc.  See what make they are and ask anyone if they would be ok.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 2, 2009, 9:47pm; Reply: 8
ebay always has some good sets for a decent price too
Print page generated: May 20, 2024, 7:14pm