Macca

Davies    Osborne  Collins    Dixon

Rose    Berrett

Dembele      Jones         Woolford

Matt

Subs; Killip, Clarke, DJ, Vernon, Hooper. Clements, Bolarinwa    
Posted by: RichMariner, September 11, 2017, 2:34pm; Reply: 1
Please not 4-2-3-1.

In among the bad stuff this season we have Sam Jones - someone who has this canny knack of finding the back of the net on a regular basis - so he needs to start up front.

Replace Clarke with Collins.

Dixon has to play left back because no one else can, Davies and Mills have been poor so far this season, and other than Debele and maybe Rose I don't think anyone else has staked a claim to start in midfield on a regular basis.

Good luck picking your side, Russ!
Posted by: gtfc98, September 11, 2017, 2:40pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from RichMariner
Please not 4-2-3-1.

In among the bad stuff this season we have Sam Jones - someone who has this canny knack of finding the back of the net on a regular basis - so he needs to start up front.

Replace Clarke with Collins.

Dixon has to play left back because no one else can, Davies and Mills have been poor so far this season, and other than Debele and maybe Rose I don't think anyone else has staked a claim to start in midfield on a regular basis.

Good luck picking your side, Russ!

Jones played the number 10 role against Chesterfield, I think he works best playing off the striker rather than in a 4-4-2 personally.
Posted by: Mariners_15, September 11, 2017, 2:51pm; Reply: 3
I've just about lost interest at the minute to be fair, considering we have such a big squad there's doesn't feel like a great choice of options to pick from...
Posted by: moosey_club, September 11, 2017, 3:04pm; Reply: 4
[quote=259]                     Macca

Rose    Berrett

Matt

Not too far from what i expect to see (not what i might like to see)  although potentially Summerfield instead of Jones as i think he has the better engine than Jones and Slade i imagine will be all about not losing this game.

Would prefer to see Woolford drop out for DJ as well but just cant see that for tomorrow.
Posted by: Garth, September 11, 2017, 3:08pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mariners_15
I've just about lost interest at the minute to be fair, considering we have such a big squad there's doesn't feel like a great choice of options to pick from...

Yes there is, just not winning options ;)
Posted by: OllieGTFC, September 11, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 6
Just stick with 4-4-2 ffs we could actually get somewhere
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 11, 2017, 5:38pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Just stick with 4-4-2 ffs we could actually get somewhere

Sam Jones is one of our best players, but not in a 4-4-2!
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 11, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 8
Whoever plays there are 3 things you must not do,

1.  Get sent off,

2. Give a pen away,

3. Score an own goal.

If you can all do that we might get a draw which would be a good result.

Did I just say a draw at Accrington Stanley ( who are they ) would be a good result ?

Fecking Hell  !!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Maringer, September 11, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 9
I'd perhaps expect a 4-4-1-1 and I think this would best suit Jones who probably remains our best goal threat, disappointing though he has generally been this season. Effectively a 4-5-1 when defending.

Not sure how well up to speed Matt is by now, but I expect he would be better as a lone(ish) striker as he's bigger and reportedly quicker than our other options up top.

This being the case, I'd go for the following:

McKeown
   Davies  Clarke  Osborne  Dixon
Dembele  Rose  Clements  Woolford
                    Jones
                     Matt

Perhaps a little harsh on Berrett who has been better of late than we saw last season, but I think Clements is much stronger aerially and in the tackle, not to mention his goal threat.

For that matter, I wouldn't perhaps be too upset seeing Bolarinwa playing on the left for his pace, strength and workrate. It would perhaps be a defensive move if Woolford is expected to be a more able attacker, but I'm not convinced he's anywhere near up to pace yet.
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 11, 2017, 7:08pm; Reply: 10
People seem to have got it into their minds that all our issues have derived from playing 4231. It's not the formations that are the issue, it's the way were trying to play within them. Personally, I don't get the obession with 442, it is no way neat as successful as it was 10 years ago.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 11, 2017, 7:24pm; Reply: 11
From where I've been sitting I'm not sure it matters which formation we use, crap players are still crap no matter where you play them.
Posted by: Garth, September 11, 2017, 7:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Maringer
I'd perhaps expect a 4-4-1-1 and I think this would best suit Jones who probably remains our best goal threat, disappointing though he has generally been this season. Effectively a 4-5-1 when defending.

Not sure how well up to speed Matt is by now, but I expect he would be better as a lone(ish) striker as he's bigger and reportedly quicker than our other options up top.

This being the case, I'd go for the following:

McKeown
Dembele  Rose  Clements  Woolford
                    Jones
                     Matt

Perhaps a little harsh on Berrett who has been better of late than we saw last season, but I think Clements is much stronger aerially and in the tackle, not to mention his goal threat.

For that matter, I wouldn't perhaps be too upset seeing Bolarinwa playing on the left for his pace, strength and workrate. It would perhaps be a defensive move if Woolford is expected to be a more able attacker, but I'm not convinced he's anywhere near up to pace yet.

Clements was well off the pace against Hartlepool`s finest second eleven and looked overweight, Berrett will play or Summerfield probably.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 11, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 13
McKeown
Davies Osborne Collins Dixon
DJ Clifton Rose Woolford
Jones
Matt

Don't think Dembele will be fit and DJ won the penalty Saturday by driving forward with the ball into the box - something Dembele should do more often. If Dembele is fit I would be tempted to play both as they do track back and offer pace which hurts teams. Due to the lack of pace at the back and knowing Jackson has pace to burn, pace in midfield may be necessary.

Matt to hold up the ball and feed supporting midfielders. Clifton had a good game versus Doncaster and has since been overlooked, there can be nothing lost by throwing him in tomorrow night.
Posted by: chaos33, September 11, 2017, 7:44pm; Reply: 14
Not so much a change of system required for me - more a change of general tactics. Can we stop hoofing channel balls and hoping for the best and actually pass to each other, and can the players show some urgency and passion - pressing them, closing them down, especially high up the pitch?  
Posted by: lee65, September 11, 2017, 9:13pm; Reply: 15
[quote=259]                     Macca

Rose    Berrett

Matt

Taken from the thread by Moosey:  is Macca setting up for an edge of the box free kick here?
(only joking, as he's been playing well  ;))
Posted by: TAGG, September 11, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Garth

Clements was well off the pace against Hartlepool`s finest second eleven and looked overweight, Berrett will play or Summerfield probably.

Berrett will be the first name on the team sheet 😱😱
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 12, 2017, 8:30am; Reply: 17
Quoted from jamesgtfc
McKeown
DJ Clifton Rose Woolford
Jones
Matt

Don't think Dembele will be fit and DJ won the penalty Saturday by driving forward with the ball into the box - something Dembele should do more often. If Dembele is fit I would be tempted to play both as they do track back and offer pace which hurts teams. Due to the lack of pace at the back and knowing Jackson has pace to burn, pace in midfield may be necessary.

Matt to hold up the ball and feed supporting midfielders. Clifton had a good game versus Doncaster and has since been overlooked, there can be nothing lost by throwing him in tomorrow night.

Wouldn't disagree with this.

I think the fight, and determination Clifton will show if he plays, will be greater than the full team from Saturday.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 12, 2017, 8:36am; Reply: 18
I think Jones and DJ will come in for Hooper and Woodford. I also think we will get a positive result.
Posted by: Mikey_345, September 12, 2017, 11:35am; Reply: 19
I think, from what I've seen of him, surely DJ deserves a start.

Macca
Davies Collins Osborne Dixon
Dembele Rose Berrett DJ
Jones
Matt
Posted by: stevethefish, September 12, 2017, 11:41am; Reply: 20
Woolford looked a bit rusty on Saturday, but definately think there is a player in there.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 12, 2017, 12:03pm; Reply: 21
I don't really care, as long as we have two strikers on the pitch.

We need to go for the win. No prancing around, thinking about league tables and all that guff. I've no doubt Stanley are a good side, but it's too early in the season to be intimidated by league placings.

After all, I'm doing my best to ignore the league position we're currently in!

Going to Accrington and setting up for a draw - given the way Slade gets his team playing - isn't going to win over the fans.

A point wouldn't be a bad result, but I certainly wouldn't set out for just one.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 12, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 22
McKeown
Dembele  Rose  CLIFTON  Woolford
                    Jones
                     Vernon

Posted by: Maringer, September 12, 2017, 5:29pm; Reply: 23
I'd imagine the chances of Berrett being dropped for Clifton are pretty much non-existent! Would be good to see Clifton play at some point as I don't think I've seen him kick a ball since we were in non-league and I've no idea what to expect from him.
Posted by: Garth, September 12, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from jamesgtfc
McKeown
DJ Clifton Rose Woolford
Jones
Matt

Doubt it, he`s not match fit and looks to be carrying a bit of timber
Posted by: Grimal, September 12, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Garth

Doubt it, he`s not match fit and looks to be carrying a bit of timber

A ?  I see him two or three times a week and saw him less than a week ago and he hasn't got an ounce of fat on him. not sure about match fit though. People seem to use the words "not up to steam" but watching the players that turned out last Saturday, I would say not many of them were up to steam and perhaps never will be.

Posted by: Tinymariner, September 12, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 26
Collins for Osborne! Give me strength, wtf is RS thinking?
Posted by: sydney, September 12, 2017, 8:21pm; Reply: 27
Collins for me
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:38am