Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: acko338, July 15, 2017, 6:49pm
So what are the forum opinions on the quality of the trialists through the door thus far?

Slade appears to be looking "out of the box" and faces that no one here has put up as suggestions?

The next run of games against higher level opposition should give Slade - and the fans - enough info to make th signings needed.

Dembele looks to be a hidden rough diamond, Yussuf has bulked up to be more competitive, those on trial seem to be faster which will improve the side from last season, and we now have a 2nd keeper of the right age to develop under tuition to be a real challenge to McKeown.

Experimentation at the back may have to go on hold soon to establish a quality defense ready for the season start.

Good to see the young on trial players and new young pros getting a chance to play against older opposition and see if they will come up to the mark.

No one will be able to say they did not get an opportunity for a contract etc.

Will not be surprised to see outer fringe or out of favour players being made ready for loans very quickly.

Looking forward to season start !!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 15, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 1
I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a few of the trialists and saw some players leave.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 15, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 2
Agree with H.M
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 15, 2017, 7:29pm; Reply: 3
Does having so many trialists Slade has given up hope of signing his targeted players.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 15, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 4
The lad with the Gowling haircut looked good for the fist 15 mins today, sitting, pressing, tackling and moving the ball, after that the game passed him by I reckon.

The lad at LB looked o.k. and reasonably mobile for is age, the 2 up front despite the lad scoring the winner looked like some of the fodder we started last year with but I don't think friendlies in isolation tell you anything.and coming on as sub for the last bit doesn't help their cause.

Based upon today we need a striker, LB and utility defender then we will have an o.k. starting squad but will need to add before the close of the window or in Jan I feel.  
Posted by: Maringer, July 15, 2017, 7:52pm; Reply: 5
Left back looking reasonably mobile for his age? He's only 30 flipping years old!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 15, 2017, 8:03pm; Reply: 6
Yeah I guess that's a bit harsh ...... but pace gets you out of trouble, maybe I have become ageist after watching Davies struggle at times last season. I do think RS will give the kid at LB a deal though as he appears to be looking for experience
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 15, 2017, 8:33pm; Reply: 7
Dixon looked ok, not sure how fit he is though so might improve with time. In my opinion I'd still be looking for someone else for the LB spot but if no one else is available then he'll do just fine.

Wasn't impressed with Kamal, should be fit enough after training with us and Gillingham but looked short and it showed with a few late challenges. Played a very nice through ball for Jones but everything else was nice little safe sideward passes. No better than what we've got and at 33 there's no potential there to work with.

Only seen Robinson for the 15/20 minutes that he was on for today. I wouldn't get carried away by the tap in he scored but he looked like he could be worth another shot. Good work rate off the ball and a couple of nice touches, I really wanted to see him have a run with the ball to see how quick he was but he didn't really get the chance. Worth another look though.

I'm impressed with Cardwell so far, took his goals well in previous games and certainly didn't hide when he came on today against championship opposition. Made the goal really by winning the first ball from the corner. Only young so time to improve and a few bigger clubs have thought he was worth a deal so I'd get him signed up if the figures work out.
Posted by: Willgtfc, July 15, 2017, 8:37pm; Reply: 8
I think we have a really good squad couple of players away from where we want to be ! The team looked well drilled today and the defence looked solid, liked the look of Clarke sounds like a proper leader on the pitch always talking and organising, dembele looks a real gem so far in pre season hope he can do it when it starts. I hope we sign cardwell who looks like a good young solid striker who's a proper team player linking up play better then vernon in my opinion would like to see cardwell play along side a Michael reddy sort of player.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 16, 2017, 8:21am; Reply: 9
I'd sign Dixon, Robinson and Cardwell. All seem decent.

Not sure Ait El Haj is any better than the players currently at the club.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 16, 2017, 9:11am; Reply: 10
I would guess that Slade is less worried about trialists than about McAllister having yet another injury. That problem is the reason Kamal was here in the first place, Slade probably would only see him as a stopgap even if he was impressed enough to sign him. If the bloke isn't fit enough for 2 games a week (which is very likely as he's not done any real football over here) then even the stopgap part of the idea wouldn't work.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 16, 2017, 9:53am; Reply: 11
What's happend to McAllister now?
Posted by: Fat Cobra, July 16, 2017, 10:05am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
What's happend to McAllister now?

Sneezed
Posted by: waynegftc, July 16, 2017, 12:56pm; Reply: 13
fort dis fred woz bowt me wen I sor da titul lol!!!!!!!!!!!1
Posted by: oldun, July 16, 2017, 1:38pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Fat Cobra

Sneezed

Looks like a repeat of last season. Shame because whilst we have quite a few midfielders, not too many are ball winners. Let's hope for better news.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:24pm