Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Gabriel, July 15, 2017, 6:27pm
Hi Mariners,

You may be interested in my season preview for your lot - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2017/grimsby-town-season-preview-mills-impresses/

Just wondered how you think you'll do this year? Personally see you finishing in the bottom half again as I don't feel like you've strengthened. Could be wrong though.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, July 15, 2017, 6:29pm; Reply: 1
Pretty accurate
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 15, 2017, 6:32pm; Reply: 2
We don't need to strengthen by much to finish in the top half.  We also know the division better and what is required.  A better manager (s) than last season and more stability with the new management team.  
Posted by: newarkmariner, July 15, 2017, 6:53pm; Reply: 3
What a load of sh&te
Posted by: LH, July 15, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 4
I've got more faith in Slade to manage a team to be consistent enough to finish in the top half than I did in Bignot. We weren't that bad with Hurst for the first few months of the season really although I suppose we did have Bogle. I'm hoping we'll see a better spread of goalscorers this season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 15, 2017, 7:32pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Gabriel
Hi Mariners,

You may be interested in my season preview for your lot - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2017/grimsby-town-season-preview-mills-impresses/

Just wondered how you think you'll do this year? Personally see you finishing in the bottom half again as I don't feel like you've strengthened. Could be wrong though.

Cobblers!
Posted by: Gabriel, July 15, 2017, 9:20pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from LH
I've got more faith in Slade to manage a team to be consistent enough to finish in the top half than I did in Bignot. We weren't that bad with Hurst for the first few months of the season really although I suppose we did have Bogle. I'm hoping we'll see a better spread of goalscorers this season.

A few have said the same. Who do you expect to be among your best attacking players this year then? Heard some good things about Jamey Osborne.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, July 15, 2017, 10:14pm; Reply: 7
I think the "ageing defence and uninspiring frontline" is an understandable description. However, the 33+ year old defenders are pretty good, and just behind the frontline are Osborne and Jones who are our real creative force.

We may not have massively strengthened but we have a much more astute manager in charge now I would be surprised if we don't at least threaten the playoff positions.
Posted by: lukeo, July 15, 2017, 10:23pm; Reply: 8
1st.i have us in a lucky 15 at 40/1 to win the league  ;D
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 15, 2017, 10:24pm; Reply: 9
I am not going to sit on the fence, I think we will finished 6th and maybe surprise a few and finish higher.

UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 16, 2017, 12:33am; Reply: 10

Mid table would still be a result, promotion would be a welcome bonus.

York City, nuff said.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 16, 2017, 10:35am; Reply: 11
It's hard to say. I think we've a squad that is too large and have quite a few players the manager would ideally shift if they weren't on good contracts.
I do think that our real positive is how Slade will have them organised and I think we will end up comfortably top half.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 16, 2017, 10:40am; Reply: 12
I  will answer  your question next week after we have signed a couple more players.
Posted by: waynegftc, July 16, 2017, 12:55pm; Reply: 13
top m8 simpul az
Posted by: Gabriel, July 16, 2017, 1:25pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I think the "ageing defence and uninspiring frontline" is an understandable description. However, the 33+ year old defenders are pretty good, and just behind the frontline are Osborne and Jones who are our real creative force.

We may not have massively strengthened but we have a much more astute manager in charge now I would be surprised if we don't at least threaten the playoff positions.

Fair enough. Out of interest then, where do you see the goals coming from?
Posted by: StaffsMariner, July 16, 2017, 1:54pm; Reply: 15
At this stage of the season, every team in the division should believe they can finish in the promotion places. Only an idiot would try to predict all 24 places at this stage.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 16, 2017, 1:55pm; Reply: 16
Decent enough prediction for me. I am disappointed with our recruitment so far. Doesn't look like much of the Bogle has been spent. Still a bit of time to get those hairs on the back of my neck standing up though.
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 16, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 17
On the contrary, I think the club has made big steps forward this summer, clearly modernising. I think we've made some good signings, but I think the money invested in sports science will make a big difference, and we'll eek out those extra points that we bemoaned not having last season to reach the play offs.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 16, 2017, 2:20pm; Reply: 18
It's futile trying to predict finishing positions based on retained and signed players. Many seasons watching Town have taught me that you never know which side will click and which won't. Players you don't really know much about can become integral. Conversely, players you think will do the biz can bomb. Obviously, you need the ingredients of a good manager and a certain amount of experienced players, but sometimes it just takes off and sometimes it fizzles out. Around Xmas time is the time to judge where we are going, and even then, a couple of good signings in Jan can give you fresh impetus.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 16, 2017, 2:41pm; Reply: 19
1st
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 16, 2017, 3:27pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from psgmariner
Decent enough prediction for me. I am disappointed with our recruitment so far. Doesn't look like much of the Bogle has been spent. Still a bit of time to get those hairs on the back of my neck standing up though.

I think they'll be safe. To be honest in reality would we ever sign a player that would do this? if so who?
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 16, 2017, 4:14pm; Reply: 21
At the start of each season it's always first. At the start of each World Cup England will win.
I get the shirts, have a bet and look forward.
I buy my season ticket always thinking we'll finish first.
I go to Wembley to watch Town, or England expecting us to thrash the opposition.
But it's football you can't predict.
I didn't want Slade- Merry Xmas , said I'd not buy my usual three season tickets when he was appointed, now he's the man, he'll take us up, so he has a promotion on his CV at last.
I think the squad is shaping up nicely.
SO 2018 I PREDICT TOWN 1ST AND ENGLAND TO WIN THE WORLD CUP. I just love following my favourite teams.
I'm over 60 turn up in my Town shirts, bought all 3 and latest England shirts, what a kid.
Bobby Moore is the greatest ever player. Dave Boylen is Mr Grimsby Town. Sir Alan Buckley is god. Kev Moore was my mate at school, as well as Tony Ford and Paul Emson. Kevin Drinkall was the best centre forward never to play for England. Drinks on me if this happens.
Oh George Best was.......
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, July 16, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 22
We are still missing a proven striker at the moment so I am going to say a mid-table finish, I'm hoping Asante when fit and maybe one of these trialists comes in and does a great job but until then I think we would be daft to say anything higher then midtable would be possible.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 16, 2017, 7:24pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
It's futile trying to predict finishing positions based on retained and signed players. Many seasons watching Town have taught me that you never know which side will click and which won't. Players you don't really know much about can become integral. Conversely, players you think will do the biz can bomb. Obviously, you need the ingredients of a good manager and a certain amount of experienced players, but sometimes it just takes off and sometimes it fizzles out. Around Xmas time is the time to judge where we are going, and even then, a couple of good signings in Jan can give you fresh impetus.

All of this, plus hardly anyone knows effall about the other clubs.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 16, 2017, 8:48pm; Reply: 24
Second season syndrome, but on the other hand we've (the board, manager, players and fans) have learned a lot about what's needed. There's no doubt in my mind this is a much higher standard than when we last played at this level. On paper, it's a bit easier than last year as some big clubs went up and Leyton Orient and Hartlepool were not minnows. The squad is probably the big unknown as Slade's hands were tied by his predecessor's decisions to a large degree. I think on balance we really need a stable year which we never got last time, although there's plenty of examples where managers have come in and done well quickly with inherited squads. I hope our support keeps up, a few seasons with mid-table finishes means it's bound to dip.
Posted by: lukeo, July 17, 2017, 7:43am; Reply: 25
Why do we need a recognised striker? If Jones scores to a ratio as he did when Boggle left and the other strikers and midfielders chip in with done goals, I can't see goals being a problem. I'm not overly confident and the bookies back most of our views on this (40/1 to win the league) but I'll still be 100% behind town and I have put them to win the league in my lucky 15  ;D
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:36pm