4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Gainsbro_Mariner
June 4, 2023, 4:13pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Has signed for Cleethorpes on a permanent deal, I had no idea he had been released? I heard there was no final youths coming up, I think I always assumed he was the year group below.

Best of luck to the lad. At the very least he has his name firmly placed in the Town history books.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
June 4, 2023, 6:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,338
Gold Stars: 62
Doubt if it will ever be beaten
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
jamesgtfc
June 4, 2023, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Pretty sure he was a winger/no10 when he made his debut, yet Clee have announced him as being a left back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
aldi_01
June 4, 2023, 8:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Doubt if it will ever be beaten

Unless we uncover a lad with Rooney like potential I don’t think we will either, that or we end up with an idiot manager and the club on life support again…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
pen penfras
June 5, 2023, 6:29am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Pretty sure he was a winger/no10 when he made his debut, yet Clee have announced him as being a left back.

Sometimes happens with young players, they're better facing forwards so start at full back and progress further forwards as they gain experience and confidence. Gareth Bale is the ultimate example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
jamesgtfc
June 5, 2023, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pen penfras

Sometimes happens with young players, they're better facing forwards so start at full back and progress further forwards as they gain experience and confidence. Gareth Bale is the ultimate example.

I think we all know that isn't the case here, he was billed as an attacking player and thrust into the first team to try generate a significant transfer fee.

If Boyd was as good as a certain someone made out at the time then he wouldn't be signing for Cleethorpes this summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
mariner chopper
June 5, 2023, 8:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
Gold Stars: 5
Always baffles me how quiet / lacking of an official statement about 2nd year Youth's - it's the same every season we have to just assume those that haven't got senior contracts, in this season's case none, have been released

Would be nice to see some names though, other clubs include 'youth players who have not been offered senior terms' on their retained lists so it cant be a case of not being allowed to do that due to their age? We just obviously don't?

Like you say, particularly with Boyd looking like being part of this years' released YTs, it would have been nice to hear about it officially from the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
jimgtfc
June 5, 2023, 10:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 44
Completely agree, some of these lads have been with Town since under 8 level so some slight acknowledgment would be a nice gesture. Regarding Boyd, it was a huge surprise to everyone in the youth system when he was called up by Holloway, he’d not even played for the youth team at that point.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 5, 2023, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Wasn’t he wanted by some premier league teams or a Scottish premier league team?

Personally I think chucking a 16 year old in to the first team, at any level is a huge gamble. Injuries, mental ability/aptitude and confidence could impact them personally and professionally

Or was it just so Holloway could get 5 more minutes on tv?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
crusty ole pie
June 5, 2023, 11:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,338
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from mariner chopper
Always baffles me how quiet / lacking of an official statement about 2nd year Youth's - it's the same every season we have to just assume those that haven't got senior contracts, in this season's case none, have been released

Would be nice to see some names though, other clubs include 'youth players who have not been offered senior terms' on their retained lists so it cant be a case of not being allowed to do that due to their age? We just obviously don't?

Like you say, particularly with Boyd looking like being part of this years' released YTs, it would have been nice to hear about it officially from the club

Maybe the club prefer to take a more dignified approach to letting youngest leave without plastering it all over the media, was recently talking to a bloke who had been in the Newcastle academy from the age of 8 and he was telling me of the hurt he felt on being released at the age of 18. He came and had weeks trial at town who he said looked after him so well but there was no money in the budget to sign him. He must have had something about him he played along side Andy caroll he made of course a bitter pill that some never recover f4om
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Louis Boyd

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.