Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 219 Guests

Wrexham spending again !

This thread currently has 9,665 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Epworth Mariner
March 23, 2023, 11:16am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Mullin gets a bad knee and they go and sign Billy Waters from Barrow…..

It’s like a football manager game…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
March 23, 2023, 11:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
If that’s annoying, I would recommend avoiding any Wrexham-related news this morning…
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 86
jamesgtfc
March 23, 2023, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Mullin gets a bad knee and they go and sign Billy Waters from Barrow…..

It’s like a football manager game…..

Their keeper picks up an injury so they go and get Ben Foster out of retirement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 86
diehardmariner
March 23, 2023, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,425
Gold Stars: 532
The whole Wrexham thing leaves me torn.

Their fans were magnificent after we beat them in the play-offs.  To raise money for our fans to go to the final, after we dumped them out a few days before is simply a class act.  For them, I just want them to feel some success.  They deserve it.

But this buy, buy, buy approach just makes me want them to intercourse the title race up and then fold in the play-offs again.

County and Chesterfield are both much easier away days too...
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 86
mimma
March 23, 2023, 11:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
If I won £100 million on the lottery and gave a large wad to GTFC, the boot would be on the other foot. Would you complain when started to slash the cash? No, so good luck to them and maybe our time will come someday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2023, 11:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
There will come a time soon when their players look at the manager and think who the f**k is this idiot he's well below what we're used to dealing with, I hope

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 86
marinerjase
March 23, 2023, 11:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,636
Gold Stars: 147
Don’t see the issue myself..they’re fortunate in having the money to be able to pay ridiculous salaries, sign whoever - there’s no window, owners are investing in club and community in a big way - I’d imagine the marketing revenue/streams are incredible. From a player’s perspective- if you’re offered 2/3 times what you’re used to - going to take it aren’t you? Be daft not too ..short career.

Buying their way through the leagues? Yes..definitely..but so what? Been done before..will be again.

Only ‘issue’ is if owners walk away and club left in jeopardy.. but in all honesty I don’t see that occurring..owners seem invested in club, community and I’d like to think plans in place for continuity should they take a back seat in future. Honestly don’t see them sh**ting on the club.

As for EFL rules on income/expenditure, %salary etc ..there’s ways around, loopholes to exploit. Others do.

Look forward to beating them next year again mind..😉

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 86
PoutonStepover
March 23, 2023, 11:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
What a signing Foster is, played 23 games in the Prem last season. No more 4-5’s for Wrexham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 86
diehardmariner
March 23, 2023, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,425
Gold Stars: 532
It's so easy to say this when it isn't reality, but I don't think I'd want that for GTFC.  Our successes feel so special because we so often don't even have a pot to urine in.  They're a result of sheer effort, graft and having to do something a bit different.  I'm not suggesting Wrexham aren't working hard etc.  but it's not like Phil Parkinson is doing something innovative there to give them a competitive edge is it?  He's hardly gone out and scouted up and coming talent that everyone else has somehow missed.

The play-off success last season was so incredible because it all just timed so perfectly.  Be it by accident or design Hurst's plan came together in terms of the right players coming in (and into form) and definitely the way the fitness of the players peaked when it really, really mattered.  If Wrexham go up this year, Parkinson can look back and say 'yeah, I looked at the leagues above and paid over the odds for the best players'.  intercourse, I could do that!

Also, if I won £100million I wouldn't touch a football club with a barge pole.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 86
ska face
March 23, 2023, 11:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from diehardmariner
The whole Wrexham thing leaves me torn.

Their fans were magnificent after we beat them in the play-offs.  To raise money for our fans to go to the final, after we dumped them out a few days before is simply a class act.  For them, I just want them to feel some success.  They deserve it.

But this buy, buy, buy approach just makes me want them to intercourse the title race up and then fold in the play-offs again.

County and Chesterfield are both much easier away days too...

For every decent fan of theirs, they seem to have picked up two or three absolute helmets. I think at the start there seemed to be an element of embarrassment and acknowledgement that signing people like Tozer, Lee and Mullin wasn’t necessarily how things were done at that level, but they’d had a bad time and were due a decent shake of the stick. Hard to argue with that.

This season though, the whole facade has completely disappeared and you see a lot of their fans just leaning into it, especially on Twitter, and actively goading other fans. Dunno, maybe it’s overcompensating because they realise they’re quite clearly the villains in the story and nobody buys the bullshít outside of a TV studio?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 86
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.