27 March 1970 match vs Chesterfield

This thread currently has 1,840 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PhilMariner78
March 25, 2020, 8:43pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Hi all,
Hope this post is ok as my first post, but i am trying to track down a copy of a match programme from 27th March 1970 - Grimsby vs Chesterfield. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
March 25, 2020, 8:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
barralad
March 26, 2020, 3:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from promotion plaice

Good seller too...fill your boots

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
Belfast Town
March 26, 2020, 9:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from PhilMariner78
Hi all,
Hope this post is ok as my first post, but i am trying to track down a copy of a match programme from 27th March 1970 - Grimsby vs Chesterfield. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Phil

Was the score 1-0 to Town or was that the following season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 26, 2020, 9:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
I remember a night match against them around this time when I think they were top of the league or certainly going for promotion. We used to be in the good old Barrett Stand going in through the upstairs door back right (from the back) and during the match about 100 of their “mob” suddenly entered that stand which was very unusual as away fans were never in that part of the ground. It was the skinhead, bovver boot and denim era and quite frightening for a 14 year old.

Think there may have been a few punches thrown but thankfully nothing more. Funnily enough can’t remember the game at all!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
chelseacity
March 26, 2020, 10:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +355
Gold Stars: 9
After this match on the Good Friday about 200 of us Boot Boys/ Skin heads made our way to Wonderland heading to Cleethorpes, this was unusual as we normally went back to Cleethorpes pubs down Grimsby Road tracked by Police Officers,going mainly to the Dolphin & Vic after the match, but this time some leather clad Gypos/Rockers among us persuaded us to go via Wonderland, i had never seen these blokes before & they were not Boot Boys or Skinheads, when we got to Wonderland we were attacked by some 200 or more Gypos/ Rockers, we were set up, it was a trap, we fought them on the beeches, on the prom, in Wonderland, some of you on here were probably there so i won't mention names, i managed to fight my way to Steels but Stateside had already been smashed up, the last fight i remember i was fighting some bloke in Cleethorpes Market place against a Rocker who said he was Captain America, it was a massacre as we got hit unexpectedly. Some time later we got revenge on them, they came up the Cleethorpes station approach towards Bunnys Place, but this time we were ready, we had hundreds of bottles which we threw in the air which came crashing down on them, then as they ran away we attacked them and took our revenge, all from that Good Friday game against Chesterfield. I know it was 50 years ago, but back then most big clubs had Skinheads/Bootboys, we had a massive away following & our lot never ran away, it was what we did back then, i would'nt have changed that for anything, it was so bloody exiting for a young man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Mallyner
March 27, 2020, 8:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
The first away trip I drove to was Chesterfield in 1968.

A40 MK I and I was a learner driver, but I took my mate and his Dad, who sat in the passenger seat.

Got there ok and sat with mainly older Chesterfield fans, who were very friendly but the guy next to me had a teenage son who turned bitter as the game progressed; and we won 2-1.  

On the way back in Swallow, a car stopped suddenly in the road and the hydraulic and rod rear brakes on my car, where not as good as theirs and I ran into the back. No real damage and no one was hurt, but not knowing what to do, I reported it to the police station in Grimsby. I was the only one and that cost me a fine and points on the licence.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
Posh Harry
March 27, 2020, 1:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from chelseacity
After this match on the Good Friday about 200 of us Boot Boys/ Skin heads made our way to Wonderland heading to Cleethorpes, this was unusual as we normally went back to Cleethorpes pubs down Grimsby Road tracked by Police Officers,going mainly to the Dolphin & Vic after the match, but this time some leather clad Gypos/Rockers among us persuaded us to go via Wonderland, i had never seen these blokes before & they were not Boot Boys or Skinheads, when we got to Wonderland we were attacked by some 200 or more Gypos/ Rockers, we were set up, it was a trap, we fought them on the beeches, on the prom, in Wonderland, some of you on here were probably there so i won't mention names, i managed to fight my way to Steels but Stateside had already been smashed up, the last fight i remember i was fighting some bloke in Cleethorpes Market place against a Rocker who said he was Captain America, it was a massacre as we got hit unexpectedly. Some time later we got revenge on them, they came up the Cleethorpes station approach towards Bunnys Place, but this time we were ready, we had hundreds of bottles which we threw in the air which came crashing down on them, then as they ran away we attacked them and took our revenge, all from that Good Friday game against Chesterfield. I know it was 50 years ago, but back then most big clubs had Skinheads/Bootboys, we had a massive away following & our lot never ran away, it was what we did back then, i would'nt have changed that for anything, it was so bloody exiting for a young man.

Ah, the good old days. 🤦‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
CodHead
March 27, 2020, 9:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +158
Quoted from Mallyner
The first away trip I drove to was Chesterfield in 1968.

A40 MK I and I was a learner driver, but I took my mate and his Dad, who sat in the passenger seat.

Got there ok and sat with mainly older Chesterfield fans, who were very friendly but the guy next to me had a teenage son who turned bitter as the game progressed; and we won 2-1.  

On the way back in Swallow, a car stopped suddenly in the road and the hydraulic and rod rear brakes on my car, where not as good as theirs and I ran into the back. No real damage and no one was hurt, but not knowing what to do, I reported it to the police station in Grimsby. I was the only one and that cost me a fine and points on the licence.  

More points than Chesterfield got that day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 27 March 1970 match vs Chesterfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.